Nifty & Thrifty Find's

Hi , I gave my fold out net hamper to one of my kids , and now I can't find another one at the Dollar Tree or 99 cents store. What dollar store did you get yours at ?? Thanks

Cori

I don't buy or carry something extra for my dirty laundry. I put it back into the suit case that I store under the bed. Out of site and I end up 1/2 packed when we have to pack to leave. Just an idea.

I honestly HATE to see dirty laundry.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Friday! I went to the Dollar Tree and Dollar Land today. I got some great Thanksgiving decorations. We're cruising over Thanksgiving so I thought I would be festive and decorate. I also got suction cups and an over the door shoe organizer for $1 - ya!

I couldn't find the cd's though. :-( I'll try another store this weekend.

I got a couple of good bargains this week.....

I went to Belk, where they had fantastic discounts on summer stock....

I got 2 pairs of $48 capris for $4.80 each....

Today we went to our local thrift shop, where Wednesday is seniors' 50% day....

And he found an perfect tuxedo, which fitted him like it was made for him....for $6.50!

I love bargains!!!!:)

• 1 month later...

My find at the local Dollar Tree was foldable cloth bins that fold flat for travelling but pop up to hold all kinds of junk (sunglasses, ipods, chargers...) that accumulate on the counter tops. You can purchase different colors/sizes for each cabin occupant then everyone will know where their stuff is. ;)

Small cans of lysol for bathrooms [i like to sanitize everything...no norovirus to ruin my trip] !!!:eek:

I buy the lysol wipes and then the day before we leave pull some out and lay flat and put them in a baggie. Takes up hardly any space in the suitcase and I wipe everything down once unpacked with leftovers in case they are needed.

We buy the zip ties from dollar tree and use this as our luggage locks this way if security need to check the luggage for some reason they only have to cut those and we aren't out any money and we def know if they looked in our luggage or not....just don't forget to pack something to cut them open with in your carry on

My find at the local Dollar Tree was foldable cloth bins that fold flat for travelling but pop up to hold all kinds of junk (sunglasses, ipods, chargers...) that accumulate on the counter tops. You can purchase different colors/sizes for each cabin occupant then everyone will know where their stuff is. ;)

I saw those too, thought it would keep stuff more organized , not just popped in a drawer.

Still looking for a good CD.

Cori

• 3 weeks later...

REI has a great travel (camping) compact clothesline. It has suction cups or you can tie it around some something else. You dont need clothes pins because the line is made out of a twisted plastic that is a good gripper. I think I paid 7.99 for it. Well worth it. I will be taking it to Costa Rica too for drying out swimsuits on the patio. GREAT ITEM :)

We carry a plastic laundry bag that we picked up in a hotel over the years. We put that in the bottom of the closet and add clothes as they become dirty. That way we can find them easily if we are sending out the laundry (Elite on Princess, so free laundry), or to wash when we get home.

How do they taste....I don't like the taste of the diet drinks and such does it have that after taste to it??

It had a bit of an aftertaste for me, but I'm really bad for anything other than real sugar.

My Dentist keeps bowls of sample sized toothpaste and floss available.I always pick up a couple of each for travelling.

I gathered together all our samples and we'd built up such a collection of brushes that I've donated a bunch and I never have to buy toothpaste anymore. I've found that I like the mini's better in my toothbrush glass anyway.

For our last cruise I found a 3-plug power bar at the dollar store. Big enough to leave the laptop plugged in and still be able to charge my camera and phone. Small enough to not worry the security folks also, since there were stories about the large ones being confiscated.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a great tip on the rain ponchos. This is an item that most people don't think of UNTIL it's raining.(and then they wont be a dollar either, we paid $10 a piece at Disney) For $1 and the little space that it will take in a suitcase, this will be a must buy item.

When I was in the Dollar Tree the other day they were putting out some of their summer Luau type party decorations. It gave me some really good ides for decorating our cabin door. They had a really nice selection of tropical, pink flamingo and tiki type things.

I only have 215 days till I cruise. better start hitting those DT stores!!

some door decorations stick better than others so beware!

I went to Marshalls yesterday and they have pulled out racks of there last seasons summer clothing. We sail in feb and since I quit smoking I really gained weight. I found 6 cute stylish tops a pair white capris and one pair

of shorts and my totals was $60.15. I was worried about looking frumpy now I feel a little better. ;):D:rolleyes:

Edited by footballbabe3

I went to Marshalls yesterday and they have pulled out racks of there last seasons summer clothing. We sail in feb and since I quit smoking I really gained weight. I found 6 cute stylish tops a pair white capris and one pair

of shorts and my totals was $60.15. I was worried about looking frumpy now I feel a little better. ;):D:rolleyes:

I love Marshall's too. Last spring, I found a beautiful black wrap at a fraction of the original price. It came in so handy for dinners in the MDR or the Theatre on the ship. Even in warmer months these venues can be cool. :)

I jut wanted to share a cute little item that I just picked up in the toy asile at the Dollar Tree. It is a small kids chalkboard with eraser. The little chalkboard is shaped like a cruise ship complete with the funnel and porthole windows. It has a string on the back so it can be hung up. The size is about 10" by 7" apx. We are going to use it for a cruise count-down board. They had different pictures on the boards such as the American flag, A whale, and so on but the cruise ship was just too unique for me to pass up for buck.

Happy Bargain Hunting. :)

Dollar tree also has battery operated 'candles' that I used on my last cruise celebrating our 25th anniversary...and they make great night lights for trips to the bathroom:D. I used a cute colorful wind sock on our balcony the last cruise and it was cool to be able to spot our cabin when we were in port, and our kids could spot us on the port webcams as we set sail...without them! lol!!!:eek:

Love the windsock idea - I'll be high-tailing it to the dollar tree! I already have tropical fish for our doors (5 cabins same deck/all port side but not adjacent). I also previously picked up ponchos for the rainforest; sewing kit - scissors, needle and thread; small flashlight; lysol wipes; screwtop plastic qt. size containers - for getting juice for our fridge - we make mimosas; throw away reading glasses, throwaway sunglasses, and throwaway reading sunglasses. I want to Be SURE I can see the menus!!:D I think I'll get a dry erase for leaving messages, too.

• 2 weeks later...

while I was checking out at Walmart yesterday I made a thrifty find! They had all sorts of medicines for 88 cents. These are a perfect size for cruising! I bought a laxative, an anti-diarrheal, a day time cold remedy and a couple of others! For 88 cents you cannot go wrong as I usually do not even use these, but I like to take them with me for 'just in case' and are MUCH cheaper than buying on the ship in their gift shop if you need them. i am not sure if these are over in the regular drug section - but you might check out your local wally world for these inexpensive drug items! To clarify - I found these in a display at the checkout lane where they usually sell inepensive impulse items -- and it worked - I think I bought 5 items! LOL

Edited by GweninTX

while I was checking out at Walmart yesterday I made a thrifty find! They had all sorts of medicines for 88 cents. These are a perfect size for cruising! I bought a laxative, an anti-diarrheal, a day time cold remedy and a couple of others! For 88 cents you cannot go wrong as I usually do not even use these, but I like to take them with me for 'just in case' and are MUCH cheaper than buying on the ship in their gift shop if you need them. i am not sure if these are over in the regular drug section - but you might check out your local wally world for these inexpensive drug items! To clarify - I found these in a display at the checkout lane where they usually sell inepensive impulse items -- and it worked - I think I bought 5 items! LOL

Our Wal-Mart here also has a section where all the medications are 88 cents, but the section is in the medication aisle instead of the check-outs. I hadn't' thought about stocking up for the cruise there, that's a great idea. I do grab medications from there to keep handy in my purse.

• 4 weeks later...
Our Wal-Mart here also has a section where all the medications are 88 cents, but the section is in the medication aisle instead of the check-outs. I hadn't' thought about stocking up for the cruise there, that's a great idea. I do grab medications from there to keep handy in my purse.

We did the same thing. I work in 38 degree temps year round and am always fighting colds, DH is allergic to bee stings so he got the allergy med to keep in every truck and tractor we have. You just don't find those meds that cheap all the time. So far the sinus meds are doing a good job.