Economy Delima

We have our annual cruise booked for May and need to make final payment. The way the economy is, we are second guessing ourselves.

Yes, we can afford the trip, it is budgeted, but we are just afraid of what might happen tomorrow. We own our own small bowling center and the economy is tough in our area.

I know we are never sure of what tomorrow might bring but it is really frightening. I am positive we are not the only other cruisers out there going through these emotions. Not asking to be told yes or no, just wondering about others feelings right now.

Tim

We have our annual cruise booked for May and need to make final payment. The way the economy is, we are second guessing ourselves.

Yes, we can afford the trip, it is budgeted, but we are just afraid of what might happen tomorrow. We own our own small bowling center and the economy is tough in our area.

I know we are never sure of what tomorrow might bring but it is really frightening. I am positive we are not the only other cruisers out there going through these emotions. Not asking to be told yes or no, just wondering about others feelings right now.

Tim

Hi Tim, Finances are one thing when thinking about what tomorrow might bring but you should consider your health! Good health is not guaranteed and your outlook will be improved by a vacation. You said it yourself--you can afford it--go!

My employer is laying off some folks but I am going on my cruise in April because a couple of grand is not going to make or break me if I lose my job.

Tim

Go....Tomorrow is Tomorrow, You never know what life has in store.....When you are on the ship, maybe cut back a little, find the cheap bars in Port.....Don't buy stuff you will never use or wear and by all means...Take lots of ZipLocks and Help your self to lots of the GOOD Cookies that you can munch on for a Month after the cruise... :)

Have Fun!

Mike

Tim

I think, too, that the recovery of the economy also requires people to spend money. As you require people to spend money to keep your business going, the travel industry requires people to spend money to keep it afloat. If one person cancels, then another, and another, the industry (and economy) remains stagnant or sluggish.

Whatever your decision, I wish you continued success with your business.

My DH is always thinking about tomarrow. He is a subcontractor and times are the way they are. Thankfully for me :D his logic is you can't take it with you. We have some saved for a rainy day and we have some for having fun. So if you can afford it now have fun becasue next year you might have to settle for a drink on your own back porch.

My husband is in construction and I worked for an engineer. Notice the worked part being past tense. Lost my job about a month ago. Times are not good in the construction business and I worry about it all the time but that does me one thing - makes me sick so it is what it is and I agree we have to spend to stimulate the economy so let's try to do our part.

You have to determine if a week of "fun" is worth the worry about the future....once you spend this...it's gone. I'm all for vacations, but if you are voicing this concern, then it is something worth thinking about and possibly, delaying, for the sake of your finacial sanity.

I could be in a car accident and die tomorrow. A tornado could come next week and demolish my house. But I'm not going to worry my self to death over it. The Bible says We are not to worry, he take care it. Thats where my faith is.;)

So you're not out of a job, just wondering if you should be more conservative? You're not in a crisis, but you think you should be watching your pennies?

Two suggestions:

First, assess your financial situation honestly. (This is your business, not ours.) Ask yourself honestly if you're financially healthy; that is, ask yourself if you're able to afford the lifestyle you're living and you're able to save something each month.

If you ARE financially healthy, then go ahead and take the trip . . . BUT since you're concerned about tomorrow, cut your expenses a bit. Go down one category in your stateroom, or skip excursions, or drive instead of flying. You know what I"m saying: Go, but cut back a little.

If you decide that you're NOT really financially healthy -- if you have more debt than is comfortable, or if you have nothing for retirement, or if you're feeling stressed about specific financial things -- then cancel the trip.

Take lots of ZipLocks and Help your self to lots of the GOOD Cookies that you can munch on for a Month after the cruise... :)
DO NOT DO THIS! If you bring ANY food back through US Customs, they can fine you more than I earn in a year PER ITEM that you bring back. My husband travels frequently, and he is so paranoid about this that he won't approach Customs with a half-drunk cup of coffee. You do not want to tangle with US Customs.

This is simply not a risk worth taking.

So you're not out of a job, just wondering if you should be more conservative? You're not in a crisis, but you think you should be watching your pennies?

Two suggestions:

First, assess your financial situation honestly. (This is your business, not ours.) Ask yourself honestly if you're financially healthy; that is, ask yourself if you're able to afford the lifestyle you're living and you're able to save something each month.

If you ARE financially healthy, then go ahead and take the trip . . . BUT since you're concerned about tomorrow, cut your expenses a bit. Go down one category in your stateroom, or skip excursions, or drive instead of flying. You know what I"m saying: Go, but cut back a little.

If you decide that you're NOT really financially healthy -- if you have more debt than is comfortable, or if you have nothing for retirement, or if you're feeling stressed about specific financial things -- then cancel the trip.

Not saying this post is any better than the others but THANK YOU. Very straight-forward and to the point, not buttering up anything.

Tim

The Bible says We are not to worry, he take care it. Thats where my faith is.;)
The Bible also says we're to prepare against bad times by saving and being a good steward of what we're given. Remember the parable about the man who gave each of his three servants talants to invest in his absence? Remember the Proverbs 31 woman? Remember the parable about virgins who were awaiting the bridegroom's approach (and the oil for their lamps)?

I take the "don't worry" to mean that God will always provide opportunities -- but it's up to us to manage well what he gives us.

As a small buisness owner myself I can relate but We all need a vacation. Use this time to regroup and turn it into a posotive....While your vacationing spend some time thinking of how you can make your buisness better(like running a promotion) when you get back give it 300% and your cruise will pay for itself :D it sounds good anyway lol...my husband says im very good at justifying things:p

On our cruise in January 2009, my husband's company was laying off majorly. You couldn't even figure out if you were going to be one of the ones targeted to be laid off because they were not laying off by seniority - just by if they decide they need you.

Well over a year later they are slowly bringing people back. I can't say we are out of the woods yet. Now today he heard rumors of more job cuts but then again it is rumors so who knows? Hopefully not.

We had made our final payment in October of 09 and layoffs started coming in November. It was too late to cancel. Well we went and enjoyed ourselves.

Only you can make the decision though.

That said we just made our final payment for a May cruise.

On our cruise in January 2009, my husband's company was laying off majorly. You couldn't even figure out if you were going to be one of the ones targeted to be laid off because they were not laying off by seniority - just by if they decide they need you.

Well over a year later they are slowly bringing people back. I can't say we are out of the woods yet. Now today he heard rumors of more job cuts but then again it is rumors so who knows? Hopefully not.

We had made our final payment in October of 09 and layoffs started coming in November. It was too late to cancel. Well we went and enjoyed ourselves.

Only you can make the decision though.

That said we just made our final payment for a May cruise.

You husband does not happen to work for Cat does he?

Tim

Two suggestions:

I think this is the best suggestion I have read in response to your original question. I don't have an inkling on the financial's of a bowling center in Illinois. If you feel your business is stable and the local economy will continue to support it, then go on the cruise. If not then don't go, unless you have the financial reserves.

The Bible also says we're to prepare against bad times by saving and being a good steward of what we're given. Remember the parable about the man who gave each of his three servants talants to invest in his absence? Remember the Proverbs 31 woman? Remember the parable about virgins who were awaiting the bridegroom's approach (and the oil for their lamps)?

I take the "don't worry" to mean that God will always provide opportunities -- but it's up to us to manage well what he gives us.

Was not refering to money, was refering to the worrying. As far as the money, only she knows if she is finacially stable enough to go. If she can afford it go. If not don't go. but I wouldn't worry my self over it.

I think this is the best suggestion I have read in response to your original question. I don't have an inkling on the financial's of a bowling center in Illinois. If you feel your business is stable and the local economy will continue to support it, then go on the cruise. If not then don't go, unless you have the financial reserves.

Yes, very good post.

Thanks again everyone. I will be weighing EVERY one!

Tim

I think you Need the cruise.

while I agree with the 'step back and assess honestly' advice, if it seems that you can swing this without undue risk to your financial health, I think maybe you have been too stressed and need to keep to the cruise plan.

WIth the weather gettng warmer, isn't this coming on a busier time for you? I know nothing about your business, just guessing that kids home from college, kids out of school, more staycations = more locals coming in soon

If that's generally how it goes, then take the cruise and use some of the relaxation to energize yourselves for Busy Season.

I just think you are prob'ly stressed and need some good R&R. I commend you for being able to hang tough in this economy. I'm also in the midwest and know we've been hammered, so I'm glad you've survived this long. Just a bit longer, things are going to be turning soon.

I salute you, small business owners of the US. You are the key to our recovery!

To support the OP, everyone go bowling!!

Down by SIU, between Marion and Carbondale.

I know Caterpillar is located in Peoria and saw that is where you are from. According to the press (if you can believe everything there ;) ) I have heard they have been having some tough times.

Illinois is so business friendly, NOT! :(

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscruzinboyz

Take lots of ZipLocks and Help your self to lots of the GOOD Cookies that you can munch on for a Month after the cruise...

DO NOT DO THIS! If you bring ANY food back through US Customs, they can fine you more than I earn in a year PER ITEM that you bring back. My husband travels frequently, and he is so paranoid about this that he won't approach Customs with a half-drunk cup of coffee. You do not want to tangle with US Customs.

This is simply not a risk worth taking.

Oh well..........On every Cruise I go on.....and it is alot......I have Cookies and little cereal boxes going home with me......some times up to a few weeks worth.....never have had a problem.....maybe it is that Clean Cut ALL AMERICAN GUY look.....hope they never catch the 6-8 bottles of booze, or the iron or the white towels, or the pen or the stationary, or the shampoo, or the pictures off the wall, the TV, the shower curtain or the toilet, or the sheets or the really cute CD staff person ( Male of Course )......should I go on........... :)

Mike

I could be in a car accident and die tomorrow. A tornado could come next week and demolish my house. But I'm not going to worry my self to death over it. The Bible says We are not to worry, he take care it. Thats where my faith is.;)

Those things could happen, but probably won't. The economy is affecting almost everyone, and jobs are being lost everywhere. BIG difference.

OP, would it help you mentally to delay the trip? I dont' know what you're paying for the cruise, but would that money saved help you mentally, more than going on the trip?

If you can go without worry, then do it, if you are worried the whole time, then maybe delay.

Archived