San Pedro Or Area

BenP

We are looking for a hotel in the area of San Pedro post cruise in Feb. We will not have a car so it is very important that restaurants are with in walking distance. What is Ports of Call village? We also would be open to Long Beach if that is a nicer. Price is not too much of a object. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Ben

The Sheraton in San Pedro is very very nice. They have a shuttle that will take you to the port too!! Ports of Call village is a little area on the water that has some restaurants and gift shops in it. It is easy walking distance from the Sheraton....even our 2 1/2 year old handled the distance easily!!

We're just backed from the Diamond, and got the Marina Hotel on priceline. It was very satisfactory -- our room was newly renovated with a good bed, small couch, desk with DSL, coffee maker and hair dryer, and we also were given a marina-view room despite our Priceline status. Appetizers were free in the lobby lounge before dinner, and we had a casual but pleasant dinner in their restaurant. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly. Their free shuttle took us to the pier on Saturday, and I hear they will also take you to nearby restaurants although we didn't ask about this. It's not a resort, but we would definitely stay there again.

cynbar: Did you have to request the upgrade, or did they just give it to you?

39august: My bid was finally accepted at $68. When I was at $65, Priceline came back and said that I could re-bid if I upped it by at least $17. I didn't. I waited the 72 hours and resubmitted it at $68. It was accepted (for the Marina Hotel)

I live 20 minutes from Long Beach and 30 minutes from San Pedro. Long Beach is a better area than San Pedro. Ports of Call is not a place you would want to walk around. A while back it was in top shape but now, in my opinion only, has got worse as the years have passed. Long Beach has Shorline Village which is right across the bay from the original Queen Mary. Shorline has numerous restaurants and Pine Street has many shops and restaurants. Again, this is my personal opinion and I don't mean offense to anyone.:)

Hi, I also live in the Long Beach/San Pedro area and agree with EddiesMom, Long Beach is a nicer area to stay and more to do. Just stay near the port area on Ocean Blvd or Queensway drive, you will be happy there. I also agree with EddiesMom about Ports of Call Village, it used to be very nice and a lovely place to go with the family, but unforturnately it has fallen into disrepair, and most of the shops are closed, just not a place to go to have a good time. The San Pedro hotels that are mentioned in the above posts are nice and good places to stay , but if you are looking for things to do or places to eats , etc. Long Beach would be a better choice. Hope this helps, enjoy your time here and have a great cruise.

Cori

I'm afraid I don't remember the exact price we bid on priceline, but $68 sounds about right. We had wanted a hotel in Long Beach and couldn't figure out why there seemed to be no availability, even if we went to the hotels' own websites -- come to find out, there was a jewelry convention in town. We were a little nervous about the Marina Hotel because it got some really bad reviews on trip advisor, but there was no reason for us to worry ( I do think it was renovated after the bad reviews.) It's not a resort, but we would definitely recommend it for a pre cruise stay. The marina view room was a big plus, and no, we didn't request it --- when we opened the door, we were pleased and surprised. Someone else had earlier posted that they were offered an upgrade at check-in for $25 to a marina view room, but that wasn't our experience. After our stay, however, I might take that offer another time -- the view was very nice. The bar and restaurant look out on the marina, and there's also a walkway for a stroll --- it did help to get us in the mood for the ship! And it was very nice to be so close to the pier the next morning--

• 1 month later...

The hotels in San Pedro offer "park and cruise" packages that are lots higher than just a one night stay. If you get a room for the night before your cruise on Priceline, can you park there the whole week of the cruise, or will you get towed? Can anyone park there or do they give you something to put in the car window? Do you have to ask for this at the desk? Can anyone take the shuttle (do they check?) Thanks

When we stayed at the Best Western, they offered free parking for the week, included in their regular rate, which was about $80 at the time (this was before they started calling it a park and cruise "special" and raised the rates - LOL). Anyway, we did have to fill out a form to leave at the front desk, so they knew which car belonged to us.

The Marina Hotel lets you park free for up to 14 days. There is no sticker or anything. Anyone staying in the hotel can use the shuttle. The prices are not any higher then the cost of the hotel room through PL. I know, I have stayed here 4 times now.

Steve Hayes

The hotels in San Pedro offer "park and cruise" packages that are lots higher than just a one night stay. If you get a room for the night before your cruise on Priceline, can you park there the whole week of the cruise, or will you get towed? Can anyone park there or do they give you something to put in the car window? Do you have to ask for this at the desk? Can anyone take the shuttle (do they check?) Thanks

Always call the hotel a few days prior to your arrival to confirm the park and sail policy, as they can change their policy without notice. We found out the hard way last year. We booked a SP hotel specifically for the free cruise parking. We were informed upon arrival that the free cruise parking had been discontinued the previous week. Happy Sailing!

I did some research after reading another post about staying in Long Beach, Not sure if your ship is leaving out of San Pedro or Long Beach, but this Hotel looks like the one I selected, View that over looks the bay and the Cruise Terminal, People wake up in the morning seeing the Pride pull into port. The hotel will take you to the Terminal in the morning. For those that are driving they have the Park and Sail package.

http://www.coasthotels.com/home/index.cfm

How long is the drive from Long Beach to San Pedro? I am thinking about using priceline to bid and was wondering if I should include LB in the search. We are driving and depending on the deal it will be cheaper to get a hotel through priceline and just pay for parking at the pier (or hope that we can just park there during the cruise and take a shuttle in San Pedro).

We're booked on the Island Princess next winter and will be staying over, both pre and post cruise. I understand that the Island sails from San Pedro, so we're looking at hotels in that area.

Which airport, LAX or LGB, would be the better one to fly into? From here, we can get to either one for about the same time frame and cost. I assume that we'll be taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and hopefully a shuttle from there to the pier.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , live here in the LB LA area and Long Beach airport would be a better choice if you can get a flight in. You might check our JEt Blue, also American Airlines they use Long Beach and usually have good prices. LAX is ok , but MUCH busier and more hectic. You can get a cab to the port or shuttle from LB, from LAX I would suggest a shuttle because of freway traffic and the price for a cab.

Cori

BenP thanks for asking my question and thank you all for this great information...keep it coming! For someone that's never been to these areas, I greatly depend on the information I get on these boards, especially from those that live in the area.

We stayed at the Long Beach Hilton for our cruise on the Island Princess, sailing from San Pedro. We drove from Nevada, and the drive from Long Beach to San Pedro took about 20 minutes to the pier. We parked at the pier as it was much more convenient (not cheaper) to just get our car and go home. I waited with luggage, while DH went and got the car.

Archived