Dover sights and hotels

geoherb

We are thinking about a cruise that leaves from Dover. My ideal would be to fly to London and take a bus or train to Dover the day before the cruise leaves. Any recommendations for hotels and what to see/do in Dover? I'm thinking primarily it will be a day for us to rest up from the flight from the U.S.

We are spending two nights at the East Lee Guest House in June prior to our Ocean Princess Cruise. We will have friends pick us up in London and take us to Dover but if they can't make it, we will use the bus. Depending on when you arrive in London you may not have much time to sightsee in Dover. If you do, the Dover Castle is very interesting.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/funfares.cfm

Dover Castle is nice to see. Other than that, Dover doesn't have much to offer really.

Over the years it has become quite run down and home to a lot of asylum seekers piled into B&B's.

You may want to look at staying in Canterbury which is not far away but far nicer.

I think that the viewpoint expressed of Dover being full of asylum seekers piled into B & B's is a little outdated. Certainly there are elements of Dover that may not appeal for first-time visitors (the area behind the elegant curve of the seafront is ripe for imminent redevelopment and has a boarded-up look) but the castle is spectacular both from the point of view of appearance and time worth visiting. You can spend hours here soaking up the history and enjoy marvellous views across the channel if the weather is kind.

Dover is a comparatively small settlement compared with the size of the port and it is easy to make (by bus or rail) short trips to nearby places such as Canterbury and Deal (the former with its historic buildings and cathedral and the latter with its unspoiled seafront, Time Ball Tower, pier and good restuarants). However, I do feel that Dover is a good place to unwind especially if the castle is on your agenda.

I think that the viewpoint expressed of Dover being full of asylum seekers piled into B & B's is a little outdated.

Well, it was certainly like that 3 weeks ago when I was last there:rolleyes:

I live in Ashford and we often go for walks up on the White Cliffs. Really, the place just is extremely run down.

I live in Dover and work in Ashford - we'll have to agree to differ ;)

Then you must live in a nicer part than I have stumbled across :D

It's the port area that is particularly unattractive, but then you know that living there.

We're very much looking forward to our 1-1/2 days in Dover. Certainly we intend to see the cliffs and the castle, and the Dover Museum seems particularly appealing. We have hooked up with a group called the Kent Greeters, and are promised a walk-about through town, where we hope to encounter at least one fish and chips shop.

I think it's all a matter of expectations. We're very excited, and sorry we didn't plan to spend more time there!

By the way, we're staying at the Premier Inn on the waterfront in front of the ferry dock (we're taking the Hurtigruten MS Fram). We hired a driver who will meet us at Heathrow and take us to Dover.

www.airport-connect.org

Archived