5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

Let's not forget that the item in a cabin with the most bacteria on, bar none, is the tv remote control. I always take anti-bacterial wipes and the first thing I do is give the remote a good scrub. The most disgusting item on a ship or in a motel or hotel.

Jan

I used to work in a hospital admin office and the first job in the morning was to wipe the phones with disinfectant. I still remember the smell!

Never thought about TV remotes, but will now! :eek:

By the way, this was an excellent thread for first time cruisers. I got some really good ideas. Best for me was the extension cable with 3 sockets and a very short cable. Only cost £1 from a famous shop. Meant I could charge everything up overnight when we were in the cabin so we were not leaving valuables about.

I posted this link for a new poster yesterday on another thread - but I'm glad you bumped it Jan - we really ought to try to remember to do that periodically. I found it interesting to read again although I must have read it all before - but it still reminds you of some good tips. To say nothing of the humour.............. :D

And one or two more tips I've thought of or picked up from other posters on different threads (not necessarily new ones but not mentioned on this thread - unless I've missed it as i scanned through!:confused:)

Take a couple of clothes pegs to weight down the shower curtain or clip it to a handle/soap dish (depending on ship and shower type) to stop it wafting about and doing a good job of washing the en-suite floor or sticking to your nether regions!

There was an excellent post on here about how zip cases can be opened with a biro - made me think hard and the idea of using cable ties to attach the zip fasteners to a handle would at least put offenders off as they couldn't close the case up afterwards or open it properly so you would know immediately at the airport if your case had been targeted. Can anyone find the thread again - I can't but it made interesting reading.

Take some of the little bottles of hand sanitisers with you in your hand luggage - I know lots of people do but I find them especially useful for on the plane and off the ship too.

Check out your mobile coverage/costs before you go and set up 'Roaming' if necessary. We usually take a note of charges in the different countries - it can vary quite a bit and you can then choose to use it at cheaper destinations for routine calls home.

Someone sent me this video. I don't think it has been posted already.

Watch your bags! :eek::eek:

http://biggeekdad.com/2012/10/the-booster-bag-scam/

Bl---y H--l! Sorry about the language but that was my first reaction. :eek: when going away anywhere, train, coach, plane....I always carry my valuables in one "hand luggage" thinking that is the safest. That is so easily done. Need a chain from bag handle to round the ankle as a warning. :D

Thanks for the warning, Linda.

I posted this link for a new poster yesterday on another thread - but I'm glad you bumped it Jan - we really ought to try to remember to do that periodically. I found it interesting to read again although I must have read it all before - but it still reminds you of some good tips. To say nothing of the humour.............. :D

I always remember your tip about taking a piece of plastic to cover the clothes in the suitcase to protect them in case of a heavy shower when they are left on the quayside. All I have to do is to remember the plastic.

The only trouble with using cable ties would be how to cut them off on arrival. Scissors wouldn't be allowed in hand luggage and they wouldn't be much help in the suitcase.

I remember my first job as an office junior (do they still exist?) and one of my menials jobs was to go around the large office and clean all the phones every week. Yuck! disgusting job, ear wax and biscuit crumbs in the receiver springs to mind.:eek:

I've got to stop making people feel ill, lol.:D:D

Jan

I always remember your tip about taking a piece of plastic to cover the clothes in the suitcase to protect them in case of a heavy shower when they are left on the quayside. All I have to do is to remember the plastic.

Leave plastic in case for next holiday.

The only trouble with using cable ties would be how to cut them off on arrival. Scissors wouldn't be allowed in hand luggage and they wouldn't be much help in the suitcase.

Nail clippers will apparently cut cable ties.

I remember my first job as an office junior (do they still exist?) and one of my menials jobs was to go around the large office and clean all the phones every week. Yuck! disgusting job, ear wax and biscuit crumbs in the receiver springs to mind.

As above plus go for milk and bites to eat, make tea/coffee, go to bank/post office, deliver local letters/bills. We also had open coal fires and used to heat up carbon paper to make it last longer.:eek: No H & S in those days.

I've got to stop making people feel ill, lol. Jan

Oh the memories. Can't see an office junior doing half of what we did in the dark ages. "It's not my job" comes to mind. I also remember towards the end of my career having a junior who did not have a clue that a kettle had to be boiled to make tea.:eek::)

Edited by skioncruises

Someone sent me this video. I don't think it has been posted already.

Watch your bags! :eek::eek:

http://biggeekdad.com/2012/10/the-booster-bag-scam/

Grief! I hadn't seen that one - what a trick! I'm like you Jan - everything of value is in my hand luggage. I'm going to make sure I'm extra vigilant now. Thanks for that Linda.

The video I was thinking of was of a different type of theft - it demonstrated how easy it is to push a biro through a zip to raid the case for valuables/booze etc then simply pull the zips around again to close the zip - this can be achieved even if the two ends of the zip are locked together so you don't know your case has been compromised when you leave the airport. (Don't think I'm explaining it very well - I think it was one of the 'lads' :D;) on here who posted it originally and drew our attention to it - Jim, Stevie, RR Kalos or WCM? - was it you?) The issue of cutting the ties was discussed and i think possibily nail clippers might do or perhaps asking the cabin steward to help - we've never actually gone as far as using ties but it does make you nervous! Any other suggestions on case security would be welcome!

Edited by kruzseeka

Grief! I hadn't seen that one - what a trick! I'm like you Jan - everything of value is in my hand luggage. I'm going to make sure I'm extra vigilant now. Thanks for that Linda.

The video I was thinking of was of a different type of theft - it demonstrated how easy it is to push a biro through a zip to raid the case for valuables/booze etc then simply pull the zips around again to close the zip - this can be achieved even if the two ends of the zip are locked together so you don't know your case has been compromised when you leave the airport. (Don't think I'm explaining it very well - I think it was one of the 'lads' :D;) on here who posted it originally and drew our attention to it - Jim, Stevie, RR Kalos or WCM? - was it you?) The issue of cutting the ties was discussed and i think possibily nail clippers might do or perhaps asking the cabin steward to help - we've never actually gone as far as using ties but it does make you nervous! Any other suggestions on case security would be welcome!

It was Kalos. :D. I have bumped up the thread.

OMG! I just watched the video. It's like something off Tommy Cooper. Does it never stop?

Thanks for explaining the italics Jan, I was a bit confused for a minute, lol.:eek: I thought I was going senile.

Jan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

what a great thread this is

heres some of my tips.....that I wish I knew on my 1st cruise:o

okay, so the ship is your home away from home......

if you feel the need to roam around the ship in the small hours....my tip (learned from experience)......wear clothes!!......dont go off for a quick smoke/visit the buffet for a midnight snack in your shreddies (especially if you are trying to manhandle 2 cups of scalding hot tea back to the cabin..... down the lift/6 stairwells/a couple of heavy doors and a 500 meter corridor)

when you arrive at your cabin in the small hours....its not necessary to slam the door....200 nearby people will remember who you are for the entirety of the rest of the cruise

if you are suffering from a couple of late nights....dont...I repeat dont....sit in the front row of the theatre then fall asleep during the show....especially if you snore or a little bit of drool has escaped....(can you imagine how demeaning that must be for the showteam?) and people will take pictures of you for facebook/youtube

if you need to take a look outside your cabin door while wearing a towel from the shower (they are never quite big enough to go all the way around?) and the door closes behind you.....you are basically stuffed!:eek:;):D

what a great thread this is

heres some of my tips.....that I wish I knew on my 1st cruise:o

okay, so the ship is your home away from home......

if you feel the need to roam around the ship in the small hours....my tip (learned from experience)......wear clothes!!......dont go off for a quick smoke/visit the buffet for a midnight snack in your shreddies (especially if you are trying to manhandle 2 cups of scalding hot tea back to the cabin..... down the lift/6 stairwells/a couple of heavy doors and a 500 meter corridor)

when you arrive at your cabin in the small hours....its not necessary to slam the door....200 nearby people will remember who you are for the entirety of the rest of the cruise

if you are suffering from a couple of late nights....dont...I repeat dont....sit in the front row of the theatre then fall asleep during the show....especially if you snore or a little bit of drool has escaped....(can you imagine how demeaning that must be for the showteam?) and people will take pictures of you for facebook/youtube

if you need to take a look outside your cabin door while wearing a towel from the shower (they are never quite big enough to go all the way around?) and the door closes behind you.....you are basically stuffed!:eek:;):D

Ha ha Geomagot, I gather this is from personal experience? :)

This thread was wonderful for me last year before my first cruise but it did add a couple of pages to my packing list. :eek:

I don't know whether it has already been mentioned but in view of the Norovirus and Coughs virus causing so much disappointment on recent cruises, I bought some Anti Viral Hand Foam which is claimed to kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria from B****. It is on offer buy one get one half price. They have big containers but I got the 50ml ones which are handy to carry about.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...