5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

• 3 months later...
Hiya Berwyn

Haha, bring one thing - thats an understatement - this list is endless, lol

Which is the best extension lead that doesnt weigh that much ?

Hmmm, just have to resolve the cutting out power problem, lol

:eek:

Hi sorry if it has been said about under powered hair driers.

On 110v they will run slow and the heater will not get up to full temprature which they would get if on 230v . Now if you ladies do not mind a few minutes in the ships cabin corridor ,try pluging into the plugs which the cabin cleaners use for their vacum cleaners . These are about 230V and you will find your hair drier works fine as would hair straightners or curling tongs;) She who dares wins :)

I have now bought myself a travel suitcase - something I have never done in my entire life - but for cruise it is a must - well in my case I think it is.

Pardon my curiosity but how does a travel suitcase differ from an ordinary one? I thought all suitcases were for travel?

I think I may be missing something! :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:DThe 4 socket extension lead is a good tip not only so you can plug your mobiles, battery charger units, ipods etc in to charge at the same time but also because the two sockets in the cabin were on the wall under the mirror where the dressing table was and neither my battery charger and mobile charger would fit as there was not enough space - do you know what I mean? if the sockets had been a couple of inches higher up they'd have fitted in or if the sockets had been at 90 deg. I guess when the ship was built in the 80's we didn't have all these gadgets to plus in and they were just for lamps or something?

You can get the short 4 socket extension leads in Poundland and the 99p shop. I saw pack of two European adaptors in the 99p shop recently.

In my cabin on Thomson Spirit there was one socket USA (with the two flat prongs) and one European one (with the two round prongs). I took both types of adaptor. There was another socket where the TV was plugged in but it was awkward to get to. There was a hairdryer in the dressing table/desk drawer. Several times when I went to Reception to get the news letters or people were handing in mobiles and cameras to charge.

We were on the Spirit last year but I'm not convinced that there's enough clearance under the socket to plug in a multi-socket extension if the cable comes out of the bottom. Next time I'm going to take a 2 or3 way adaptor with a socket on top. Luckily last time I had taken a Power Monkey with it's euro and USA plugs so I could charge that in the day and use it to charge our mobiles at night.

Hi

This will be my first cruise and I have enjoyed reading all the tips

"quote" Not cruise specific but I'll think of some essential on my trips with excursions and children is to take a plastic lunchbox and a few sandwich bags so you can to get a few bits together from breakfast buffet, pastries, make up cheese rolls, some fruit etc to eat on the coach on day trips....

...Is this something that is allowed or do you need to be a bit discreet about it....

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Last year on the Spirit we were provided with packed meals foor the coaches. AND we had lunch at a hotel. We ended up eating the packed meal just because it was there. Edited by Calomax

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I'm back :D with a new tip:

If you suffer from memory loss/sheer stupidy (as my dear 'grandadpops' is known to ;)) and happen to leave one of your good lady's suitcases at Southampton, containing the crown jewels, hair accessories, ghds, duty frees and the all-important fridge magnets which were so very carefully selected from the various ports of call visited...:(

...then never fear, those nice P&O baggage handlers will save the day (and your ears) and promptly courier your missing suitcase home for £25 +vat! :)

love gp x

Hi grannypops. You are not alone, we picked up the wrong large case from the quayside in Palma last year and brought it all the way back to Manchester before we realized we had 2 large and not 1 large and 1 medium. We had an unusual pattern and just didn't double check (or should I say my husband didn't double check, lol). Luckily we didn't get charged overweight as the case was 27kg at weigh in. The penny didn't drop then even though we had made sure we were well under on the trip out. All was sorted out by the nice airport people and we got ours back a couple of days later.:D

Jan

Hiya Ecko :)

Glad you got your case back safe.

.... as a larger lady :eek:, the thought of losing my suitcase with my clothes on the way out on holiday is my idea of a personal nightmare (well that and the one about being accidently locked outside the cabin starkers LOL)

I always say to grandadpops "if you are going to lose our luggage make sure it is yours" as he could always buy some tshirts and shorts and some flipflops no problem, but I'd never find a Billy Smarts dress shop in some resort abroad :D

love gp...who.still.can't.spell...

Once, and only once, did a suitcase not turn up on holiday and it had all my clothes in it. 3 days I wore a t-shirt and cotton skirt which was not a good look on the beach. Ever since our clothing has been split down the middle and put into 2 cases, just in case.:D

Jan

Hi Ecko :)

That's a very good tip to spread the clothes etc across the luggage in case one piece goes walkabout.

My case should arrive tomorrow.. fingers crossed the contents are all still inside... it would be a pain to lose the jewellery and accessories - not expensive as such, but there are some nice cruisey/nautical themed bits and pieces like brooches and hair clips that I've amassed over the travels which wouldn't find easily again...

haha my 3 year old does have a sailor suit lol worn on captain's gala dinner night :D - he also wears tuxedos and does the pirate get up and has a cute hawaiian shirt for Tropical Night

one of reasons my lot like to cruise is that they get the chance to dress up :)

I have some hair pins and brooches which I would never be able to wear except on a cruise - some with anchor and ship designs... scarves with nautical designs, plus all that blue and white striped stuff - and the red white and blue stuff for Royal celebrations - Primark is wonderful for cheap accessories.. and beach bags..

lol just thinking of Hyacinth Bucket on Keeping Up Appearances when they went on the cruise :eek:

Edited by grannypops

lol just thinking of Hyacinth Bucket on Keeping Up Appearances when they went on the cruise :eek:

OMG! I remember that episode, it was repeated last year. So funny! I'll think of you next time it's on.:D:D

Jan

OMG! I remember that episode, it was repeated last year. So funny! I'll think of you next time it's on.:D:D

Jan

Haha - I think I'm more Daisy than like Hyacinth really :eek:

I sat and watched the episode this afternoon on youtube after I thought of Mrs Bucket... made me laugh on what was a wet miserable day earlier in London...

I've put the link to it in my previous post (above) - love it :D