5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

Thanks for the link grannypops. I've just watched it again, oh! how I laughed on this grey day.:)

Tell me, does your OH look like Onslow? Is that spelt right?

Jan

Edited by ekco

Hi all, going on our 1st cruise on Thursday. Sailing from Newcastle on Spirit to Baltic. Looking forward to it no end. Wife been reading up on ports of call for the past few months, or so it seems. Had every book out of library at some time or another, she is really very good at this. Ref to putting on weight, does the Spirit not have a gym? of course it does. We have been going to our local baths/gym for the past couple of years and I have burnt off 600 cals per visit in the past. Concentrating on toning now. Looking forward to continuing exercises on board.

Hi all, going on our 1st cruise on Thursday. Sailing from Newcastle on Spirit to Baltic. Looking forward to it no end. Wife been reading up on ports of call for the past few months, or so it seems. Had every book out of library at some time or another, she is really very good at this. Ref to putting on weight, does the Spirit not have a gym? of course it does. We have been going to our local baths/gym for the past couple of years and I have burnt off 600 cals per visit in the past. Concentrating on toning now. Looking forward to continuing exercises on board.

Hope you have a wonderful first cruise. We would like to do the Baltics in the future.

Thanks, some friends, who have been on a number of cruises got us interested. At first we thought it wasn’t for us however the more we thought about it the better it sounded. Really looking forward to it and intend posting a review when we get back.

We went on the Spirit last year on the Adriatic Explorer. We loved the Spirit. We did a Baltic cruise on Jewel of the Seas and my brother has just set off on P&O Aurora for his 2nd Baltic cruise. It's a really fabulous itinerary, especially St Petersburg :) I'd love to do it again - perhaps on the Spirit next year:)

Have a wonderful time, I bet you will book another cruise as soon as you get back:D

Haha Ekco, nothing like Onslow - he does wear a shirt over his vest I'm glad to say :D he's talking of getting a white tux as we're never going back to ordinary holidays now we've discovered cruising and I've seen a no fly Caribbean next year we might go on if the price drops a bit :)

Haha Ekco, nothing like Onslow - he does wear a shirt over his vest I'm glad to say :D he's talking of getting a white tux as we're never going back to ordinary holidays now we've discovered cruising and I've seen a no fly Caribbean next year we might go on if the price drops a bit :)

Hopefully not white trousers to match.:eek: lol.

Jan

May not be relevant at all to most on here but my big tip to parents: if you want to show your children there's more to life than computer games and tv soaps, R&B music (99% of the pop charts it seems nowadays) and gangs, take them on a cruise but not to the 'kids club' all day.....make the point of it the places you're going to vist... the Horrible Histories book set was one of my best buys for him.... they'll love the cruising way of life, watching the tug boats/crew at work, it will genuinely positively add to their education in ways they would never see otherwise... they learn about Ancient Egypt/the Romans etc at school... seriously it cost me less to take him on cruise than it would book a caravan and eat chips all week at Haven or Butlins/Pontins and there's still swimming/fun/shows etc onboard between excursions..

hi granny,so true this year was our first cruise and my 12 yr old loved it and they do learn so much going to different places and seeing how other people live,as for kids clubs not a chance in him going near them he says other kids are annoying and noisy(bit of victor meldrew in him i think lol). until he is doing exams and they lower the prices i will take him out of school and pay the 50 quid fine if they don't give permission ,it was easter when we went to egypt but if it had of been term time what he saw there was not just educational in school terms but in life also

estherxx

A couple of things that would not have occurred to me on doing a hotel holiday.

When I was leaning over the ship's rail and watching the sea go past I realised that if my specs fell off there is no way I'm getting them back. So now I always bring my 2nd pair.

And the same might happen to false teeth if you don't keep your mouth closed or put enough Ploygrip on.

Berwyn

Berwyn, I worked in an insurance company for years and you'd be surprised how many claims we got for glasses falling off overboard, broken false teeth, I even had one for a smashed glass eye, when the ship lurched as the customer was washing it!

Berwyn, I worked in an insurance company for years and you'd be surprised how many claims we got for glasses falling off overboard, broken false teeth, I even had one for a smashed glass eye, when the ship lurched as the customer was washing it!

Haha love it - did the insurers pay out though?

Hi Janflan. Berwyn has gone awol again as he does from time to time but I'm sure that he'll catch up when he's back on. What an awful thought thinking about someone washing their glass eye.:eek:

I'm amazed that this thread that I started is still going strong after all this time but all the hints and tips are still valid and more are always welcome.:):)

Jan

hi granny,so true this year was our first cruise and my 12 yr old loved it and they do learn so much going to different places and seeing how other people live,as for kids clubs not a chance in him going near them he says other kids are annoying and noisy(bit of victor meldrew in him i think lol). until he is doing exams and they lower the prices i will take him out of school and pay the 50 quid fine if they don't give permission ,it was easter when we went to egypt but if it had of been term time what he saw there was not just educational in school terms but in life also

estherxx

Hello Esther, glad your 12 year old loved the cruise, my grandson is 11 and he has never been interested in the kids clubs when we've been on holiday, he plays for a youth football team and does a lot of after school activities but seems to prefer older company and has a great love of history.

The first time we took him to Egypt.. well he 'changed' on that holiday, he grew up noticeably. Like a lot of children he's been quite spoiled with material things having a big family. We actually were on holiday in one of the 5* hotels in Hurghada but went on a mad day trip to Cairo overnight on a bus where he saw the pyramids and encountered children younger than himself begging and selling souvenirs, saw people with no shoes, ragged clothes.. he was swatting flies off himself, covered in dust and dodging camel poo - big difference to how he lives here in UK (sorry I'm laughing at the memory :))

One of my tips: if you're going on holiday to any third world countries is instead of giving the children money or sweets go to the local pound shop at home and buy skipping ropes, pens, pencils, colouring books, even footballs, inflate them there (ask at the gym/sports place at hotel).

We gave the maids some costume jewellery (Primark!) earrings and bangles in the Dominican Republic and she was absolutely over the moon with them.. I always wonder you see if they have to hand over cash tips... and the ones in the streets begging, you do think to yourself there's quite likely someone evil there putting them out to 'work' :mad:

I'm amazed that this thread that I started is still going strong after all this time but all the hints and tips are still valid and more are always welcome.:):)

Jan

Hi Jan

This has to be the best thread ever on here, well done starting it :) I've had some laughs on here :D

Hi Jan

This has to be the best thread ever on here, well done starting it :) I've had some laughs on here :D

Lol, and they said it would never last.:D It still makes me laugh thinking about false teeth flying past my window. I hope it never happens.:eek:

I miss Berwyn, remember the troll who came on and saw his photo's then had the cheek to say that

he and his wife always looked miserable. How rude.

Jan

Edited by ekco

Lol, and they said it would never last.:D It still makes me laugh thinking about false teeth flying past my window. I hope it never happens.:eek:

I miss Berwyn, remember the troll who came on and saw his photo's then had the cheek to say that

he and his wife always looked miserable. How rude.

Jan

Ahh yes, Berwyn's great, I hoped he'd pop up again :)

I didn't notice anyone trolling, maybe it was another thread on Thomson part of cc forum that I haven't followed? But that's a terrible thing to say :mad:

The troll used to pop up every 3 months or so under different names and was deleted by the mods. Then he changed tack and pretended to be a woman but just as nasty, he gave himself away by using the same turn of phrase. I forget the name, Kruzseeka might remember, and I haven't noticed him on for a few months but perhaps he's on another forum. Nasty piece of work.:eek:

Jan

The troll used to pop up every 3 months or so under different names and was deleted by the mods. Then he changed tack and pretended to be a woman but just as nasty, he gave himself away by using the same turn of phrase. I forget the name, Kruzseeka might remember, and I haven't noticed him on for a few months but perhaps he's on another forum. Nasty piece of work.:eek:

Jan

I do remember the situation Jan, but not the name but it was so unpleasant and so untypical of this forum. You've piqued my interest though - I'll do a bit of research but since many posts were deleted I might not have any success.

Was it the thread about smoking policy, Jan? I've found it, reread it and decided not to post the link as it was so all so unnecessary and unpleasant and I really don't want to revisit it all again! :rolleyes: (Although it did make interesting reading!!) It hinged in part on this guy's abusive comments and description of some Thomson passengers that were highly offensive - but those were the comments which were removed so the responses may seem quite strong - but in the absence of what he said, which was awful, it distorts the argument really. He had the nerve to make nasty, personal attacks on people who were making reasoned and balanced comments - even those who had expressed some sympathy with his original complaint. Fortunately it eventually came to an end.

There is a place for single-issue posters - their experiences/complaints are important for everyone to learn about as it helps us all to make more informed choices and as such are no less important or valid than any other post - the problem arises when they find it impossible to engage in a civilised debate without getting personal or nasty and developing paranoia when anyone puts another point of view. So pleased it's a very rare occurrence on here - a forum which is typified by friendly posters who are exchanging good information and ideas. ;) Long may it last!!

Perhaps it's not the one you mean - in which case we've got at least two! :eek:

Edited by kruzseeka

I forget what started it off the last time Kruzseeka but I was thinking the other day that the troll hadn't been on for a while. I think that his membership was cancelled and he kept re-registering under other names. Oh! it's driving me mad trying to remember the female nom-de-plume, it was a play on words. I know! it was Emma Roid, lol. I think it was you that spotted it.:D:D

Jan

Hello Esther, glad your 12 year old loved the cruise, my grandson is 11 and he has never been interested in the kids clubs when we've been on holiday, he plays for a youth football team and does a lot of after school activities but seems to prefer older company and has a great love of history.

The first time we took him to Egypt.. well he 'changed' on that holiday, he grew up noticeably. Like a lot of children he's been quite spoiled with material things having a big family. We actually were on holiday in one of the 5* hotels in Hurghada but went on a mad day trip to Cairo overnight on a bus where he saw the pyramids and encountered children younger than himself begging and selling souvenirs, saw people with no shoes, ragged clothes.. he was swatting flies off himself, covered in dust and dodging camel poo - big difference to how he lives here in UK (sorry I'm laughing at the memory :))

One of my tips: if you're going on holiday to any third world countries is instead of giving the children money or sweets go to the local pound shop at home and buy skipping ropes, pens, pencils, colouring books, even footballs, inflate them there (ask at the gym/sports place at hotel).

We gave the maids some costume jewellery (Primark!) earrings and bangles in the Dominican Republic and she was absolutely over the moon with them.. I always wonder you see if they have to hand over cash tips... and the ones in the streets begging, you do think to yourself there's quite likely someone evil there putting them out to 'work' :mad:

when we went to cairo and luxor seeing that there were children younger than him having to "work" did upset him a bit especially at the valley of the kings where we were talking to a boy who was 9 and he told us how he is not allowed to go to school as his family make him work/beg and if he did not make enough money the older boys would beat him up,now i know that they can bend the truth a bit to get money out of tourists but we told him we had none with us cos after cairo didn't want to lie and could not take any more hassle,this little boy was nearly crying asking us to take him with us i could hardly look at him and i think it made my kyle realise how much he has which is not a bad thing,makes you a better person hopefully xx

I forget what started it off the last time Kruzseeka but I was thinking the other day that the troll hadn't been on for a while. I think that his membership was cancelled and he kept re-registering under other names. Oh! it's driving me mad trying to remember the female nom-de-plume, it was a play on words. I know! it was Emma Roid, lol. I think it was you that spotted it.:D:D

Jan

You're right - emma royd!!! Found the thread but of course all those offensive posts have been removed but there is reference to the poster from us in our posts - and with a robust defense of Berwyn and our forum!! :D;)

You're right - emma royd!!! Found the thread but of course all those offensive posts have been removed but there is reference to the poster from us in our posts - and with a robust defense of Berwyn and our forum!! :D;)

Can't you sleep Kruzseeka, lol? I realized later that I'd put the wrong spelling. I'll give him one thing though, that was a clever name.:D

Jan

when we went to cairo and luxor seeing that there were children younger than him having to "work" did upset him a bit especially at the valley of the kings where we were talking to a boy who was 9 and he told us how he is not allowed to go to school as his family make him work/beg and if he did not make enough money the older boys would beat him up,now i know that they can bend the truth a bit to get money out of tourists but we told him we had none with us cos after cairo didn't want to lie and could not take any more hassle,this little boy was nearly crying asking us to take him with us i could hardly look at him and i think it made my kyle realise how much he has which is not a bad thing,makes you a better person hopefully xx

The constant hassle does spoil going to Egypt as it is relentless and the thing is that I would spend money in their shops if only they would leave me be to look around first... I do feel awful when it's children though.. friends of ours went to Cuba and told us a desperate woman there begged them to take her baby home with them - for all it's troubles, how lucky we are to live here in UK :(

Edited by grannypops