Port of call and tours at Santorini, Greece

PeterFuerte

Hi,

We are to be on the Ruby in June.

I'm checking out tours away from the actual city of the port of call.

First what is the name of the actual city for the port of call at Santorini other than Port Santorini, is it Ormos Athinios.

I welcome recommendations, good and ones to avoid. for tours away from the port of call of Santorini.

Thanks,

If you're into antiquity, you might want to check out a tour to Akrotiri.....

It was an ancient city with 2 story houses, drains, large windows, etc. When the

earthquake happened, and then the volcano erupted that destroyed most of the

island, Akrotiri wound up buried. It's a fascinating look at that time.

If you're into antiquity, you might want to check out a tour to Akrotiri.....

It was an ancient city with 2 story houses, drains, large windows, etc. When the

earthquake happened, and then the volcano erupted that destroyed most of the

island, Akrotiri wound up buried. It's a fascinating look at that time.

Has it been reopened? last I heard it's still closed.

How's your mobility? You really don't need to pay for a tour of Santorini, it's pretty easy to get around on your own. The ship anchors off Fira or Thira.

Thira, that is the name I'm seeking. We have been there but I had forgotten the name. Thank you.

We were thinking of taking a tour out of the town, either rent a car or take a guided tour with a local company.

The ship will anchor in the middle of the volcano whose colapse wiped out the Minoan civilization on Crete. The tender drops you at a pier at the bottom of the cliff formed when the volcano colapsed. At the top of the cliff is Fira or Thira.

Has it been reopened? last I heard it's still closed.

It is still closed, and it is unlikely to reopen anytime very soon given the state of Greece's economy. The budget for archeological sites and museums has been cut drastically. Even the second floor of the National Archeological Museum in Athens has been closed temporarily due to the fact that they cannot afford to hire people to staff it. :(

It is still closed, and it is unlikely to reopen anytime very soon given the state of Greece's economy. The budget for archeological sites and museums has been cut drastically. Even the second floor of the National Archeological Museum in Athens has been closed temporarily due to the fact that they cannot afford to hire people to staff it. :(

Oh, that's so sad. It's a fantastic Museum

According to this website, http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2410 Akrotiri appears to still be closed. There's an email addy there that might procure accurate info.

I loved Akrotiri, and can hardly wait to go back. A small copy of "The Fisherman" adorns a special place in my living room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrotiri_(Santorini)

http://www.travel-to-santorini.com/page.php?page_id=163

We caught the local bus to a beach (where we had a taxi called for our return, not wanting to miss our ship's departure), wandered around Fira, and enjoyed our visit to the museum. And also went to a winery. The vines are really grown differently there than other places: in a basket shape, if I recall correctly.

We did it ourselves. Where you land from the tender you either go up the hill by cablecar or donkey. I can`t remember the cost but it is minimal. The donkeys are an experience but I wouldn`t come back down on them. We returned by cablecar.

The town itself is nice but an even nicer place is Oia. There is a local bus which takes you or taxis. There was a bit of a scramble to get the bus back with all the cruise people there.

If you want the photos you see on the brochures this is the place to go. It is beautiful. There are some lovely little restaurants for lunch, overlooking the sea.

..Where you land from the tender you either go up the hill by cablecar or donkey. I can`t remember the cost but it is minimal. The donkeys are an experience but I wouldn`t come back down on them. We returned by cablecar...

We went to Santorini in late November. The cable car was 4 euros each way and the donkey was 5 euros each way.

DH did the cable car both ways and I rode a donkey both ways. The donkeys were a highlight of my trip!

Archived