Tell me, how much do you tip?

LJLB6

Here's my two-cents. I always bring plenty of $1 and $5 bills for tips. We usually don't use the port's porters as we travel light' date=' one overnight wheeled suitcase/person. We usually big-time time our cabin attendant, thinking some one else is jibbing them. I usually end of falling "in love" with them bc of the face time that occurs. That is must my opinion. We tip $5 to $7 for room service.

As for excursions, I plan ahead of time what I am going to tip bc usually I/we also "fall in love with them" too. Depending on the length of the tour. If it is 3.5 hr tour, then about $20/for the two of us. The problem comes in if there is a driver involved.. For some reason, I don't feel like tipping that person. That would be $10/two of us. In Alaska, one excursion, there were additional 'helpers" beside the bus driver and talking-head tour guide. They loaded and unloaded the rafts. I didn't budget for that and there were maybe three of them!!! Where to draw the line.

quote']

When I'm the guide on a "step on" tour (where I'm not the driver) my company makes arrangements ahead of time to provide a gratuity to the driver. I will collect all the the tips from the guests, and then give additional cash to the driver if he has been especially helpful to me. My advice is don't worry about tipping the driver. Tip the guide and he should take care of the driver and any other support staff.

Unfortunately, tips drop considerably on a big coach bus tour. I'm sure the guests look around and see 55 passengers instead of 18 and figure everyone else will take care of the guide and driver. I usually end up earning nearly double from a group of 20 than I do from a coach bus of 50.

1. Porters at terminal--tipped $2 per bag

$1 per bag

2. Bar service--they automatically add 15% tip---if we ordered several drinks together as a family, I added on $1 or $2--if only one drink, stayed with the 15%.

15% which is added already is enough

3. Taxi drivers in the ports---we usually tipped 20% of the bill with a minimum of $2, but I just found out on this cruise, that taxi drivers in Cozumel and Costa Maya do not expect a tip.

depends

4. Wine service--

15% is already added

5. Excursions-

Depends, nothing for RCL's overpriced excursions and a few dollars for a private tour if they do more then expected

6. Johnny Rockets--your gratuity is included in the $4.95 fee ($20 for 4 of us). We tipped an additional $4 ($1 each person).

Nothing, the cover charge is the tip

7. Specialty restaurants--Chops--this was another subject of debate because it was $100 for all 4 of us--and gratuity is included in this fee. When you sign the check, there is a line for additional gratuity---we tipped an additional $20 for 4 of us

Nothing, it's included in the cover price

When I'm the guide on a "step on" tour (where I'm not the driver) my company makes arrangements ahead of time to provide a gratuity to the driver. I will collect all the the tips from the guests, and then give additional cash to the driver if he has been especially helpful to me. My advice is don't worry about tipping the driver. Tip the guide and he should take care of the driver and any other support staff.

Interesting. All of the bus tours I have taken, in Mexico, the Caribbean and England, the bus driver was tipped separately. There was usually a tip jar up by the driver. I would leave his tip there, and then tip the guide who was always standing outside the bus.

Interesting. All of the bus tours I have taken, in Mexico, the Caribbean and England, the bus driver was tipped separately. There was usually a tip jar up by the driver. I would leave his tip there, and then tip the guide who was always standing outside the bus.

My point of reference is how we do things in Niagara Falls. I have seen tip jars for the driver in Cozumel and have put a dollar in there while giving a twenty to the guide for DW and me.

5. Excursions-

Depends, nothing for RCL's overpriced excursions and a few dollars for a private tour if they do more then expected

So you take it out on the tour guide, because you chose an overpriced tour. The guide isn't making much of anything on the sale price of the tour. The Cruiseline and the Tour Company are eating all that up. The Emily Post Guide for Tipping says 10% to 15% of the tour price, not what you think the value of the tour should have been. If you feel you have overpaid for a tour you should be tipping more, not less.

5. Excursions-

So you take it out on the tour guide, because you chose an overpriced tour. The guide isn't making much of anything on the sale price of the tour. The Cruiseline and the Tour Company are eating all that up. The Emily Post Guide for Tipping says 10% to 15% of the tour price, not what you think the value of the tour should have been. If you feel you have overpaid for a tour you should be tipping more, not less.

This goes to show another reason that you can't base tips on what you think people are making. Just because a tour costs a lot doesn't mean the tour guide is seeing a lot of it. And I get grief for tipping too much???

If Gonzo says the porters make between $40-$90 per hour, MUST be true.

The information does not come from me. It comes from the Port Authority at Port of Miami. Multiple people have been informed that the longshoremen at Port of Miami earn $40 to $60 per hour and time and a half for overtime. While serving as "porters" for the cruise ships they are generally doing overtime (so $60 to $90 per hour). Anybody is free to contact customer service at Port of Miami to verify this; the phone number and e-mail is on the web site: http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/

Rather than making snide remarks, check it out for yourself.

Again, I am not telling anybody who or how much to tip. I am simply trying to alert people that the people serving as "porters" at cruise terminals are already being generously compensated for the service they are providing (assuming you are not asking more of them beyond handing them your luggage as you arrive at the terminal). If you want to tip them, fine. If you want to leave your life savings to them, fine. I just want people to be aware that tipping them is similar to tipping the people who take your luggage of the airplane and have it brought to baggage claim (they provide a very similar service yet nobody tips them).

It is just not true to say that people tip people purely based on service or the role they are playing. At a bar in the U.S., when you order a drink and the bartender hands it to you most of us tip. On an airplane when we order a drink from a flight attendant and they hand it to us, almost none of us tip (and generally if someone tries to tip them the flight attendant will refuse the tip as they could be fired from most major airlines for accepting a tip).

I have made my point. I think that if people read my posts carefully they will see that I am not trying to tell anybody who to tip or how much to tip, but simply trying to shed some light on a misconception about the people taking your bags at the port:

*It is sad that many people feel forced to tip them out of fear that they think their luggage will be purposely damaged or lost if they do not tip.

*It is sad that there are some rogue porters that cause people's cruise to get off to a bad start when they make comments such as demanding a certain sized tip or make a passive aggressive comment (fortunately the vast majority of the longshoremen are very professional, good people - but the few bad seeds do cause a lot of damage).

*It is alarming that so many people give them a large tip thinking that they are low salaried people such as skycaps and bellhops who's employers give them a low salary with the expectation that their pay is supplemented by tips.

*It is alarming that so many people think that the people they hand their luggage off to play a large role with delivering their luggage to their room. The longshoremen only put your luggage on the cart that is beside them and roll the cart a few yards. Someone else takes over from there (so many more people are actually playing a larger roll in getting you your luggage and these people are not only not tipped, but many of them receive much, much less pay).

Those are the four points I am trying to make. Again, I do not expect everyone to automatically believe all I said is factual - please verify the information for yourself (and I am confident you will come to see that it is indeed true as some have on other threads who were skeptical at first, but checked with the Port Authority). If knowing these points you still want to tip, that is all good and well.

lol!:)

What is funny about that? As I have said, the figure does not come from me, but from the Port Authority. Do a search on this topic and you will see that others on Cruise Critic have been told the same figures.

What is funny about that? As I have said, the figure does not come from me, but from the Port Authority. Do a search on this topic and you will see that others on Cruise Critic have been told the same figures.

Because if you had read my post above, you would have seen that I posted that my husband is a longshoreman. I look at his paystubs every week and he does not make $90/hour and he has been there for over 30 years!

The information does not come from me. It comes from the Port Authority at Port of Miami. Multiple people have been informed that the longshoremen at Port of Miami earn $40 to $60 per hour and time and a half for overtime. While serving as "porters" for the cruise ships they are generally doing overtime (so $60 to $90 per hour). Anybody is free to contact customer service at Port of Miami to verify this; the phone number and e-mail is on the web site: http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/

Rather than making snide remarks, check it out for yourself.

Again, I am not telling anybody who or how much to tip. I am simply trying to alert people that the people serving as "porters" at cruise terminals are already being generously compensated for the service they are providing (assuming you are not asking more of them beyond handing them your luggage as you arrive at the terminal). If you want to tip them, fine. If you want to leave your life savings to them, fine. I just want people to be aware that tipping them is similar to tipping the people who take your luggage of the airplane and have it brought to baggage claim (they provide a very similar service yet nobody tips them).

It is just not true to say that people tip people purely based on service or the role they are playing. At a bar in the U.S., when you order a drink and the bartender hands it to you most of us tip. On an airplane when we order a drink from a flight attendant and they hand it to us, almost none of us tip (and generally if someone tries to tip them the flight attendant will refuse the tip as they could be fired from most major airlines for accepting a tip).

I have made my point. I think that if people read my posts carefully they will see that I am not trying to tell anybody who to tip or how much to tip, but simply trying to shed some light on a misconception about the people taking your bags at the port:

*It is sad that many people feel forced to tip them out of fear that they think their luggage will be purposely damaged or lost if they do not tip.

*It is sad that there are some rogue porters that cause people's cruise to get off to a bad start when they make comments such as demanding a certain sized tip or make a passive aggressive comment (fortunately the vast majority of the longshoremen are very professional, good people - but the few bad seeds do cause a lot of damage).

*It is alarming that so many people give them a large tip thinking that they are low salaried people such as skycaps and bellhops who's employers give them a low salary with the expectation that their pay is supplemented by tips.

*It is alarming that so many people think that the people they hand their luggage off to play a large role with delivering their luggage to their room. The longshoremen only put your luggage on the cart that is beside them and roll the cart a few yards. Someone else takes over from there (so many more people are actually playing a larger roll in getting you your luggage and these people are not only not tipped, but many of them receive much, much less pay).

Those are the four points I am trying to make. Again, I do not expect everyone to automatically believe all I said is factual - please verify the information for yourself (and I am confident you will come to see that it is indeed true as some have on other threads who were skeptical at first, but checked with the Port Authority). If knowing these points you still want to tip, that is all good and well.

" Hello, Port Authority, yes, I would like to know how much the porters make so I know if I should tip or not."

" Hello, Port Authority, yes, I would like to know how much the porters make so I know if I should tip or not."

http://www.ilaunion.org/news_contract_ratified.html

You can read through this recent article about their contract to get some idea. Gonzo is not saying everyone makes $90, but can make 60-90 if they are doing overtime. According to this article, 90% of the workforce will be making a minimum of $32/hr by 2012.

"The ILA characterized this contract settlement as historic since it was negotiated during the toughest economic climate in decades with the union achieving gains in all areas. The terms of the new agreement were equally remarkable. For example, lower-tiered ILA workers now have a formula where they know that the gap in wages for them and the higher paid senior members will eventually be closed. For most current ILA tiered wage earners, that will occur sooner rather than later as it is estimated that nearly 90% of the current workforce covered under this agreement will all be at the $32.00-an-hour wage by the end of the final year of the contract in 2012."

And it's not about their salary: If these guys were consistently polite and helpful, people would not be questioning their tips. Reports of extreme rudeness by some porters have started the debate; it's their own fault. If someone does not want to tip them, or doesn't tip them 'enough', they should shut their mouth and move on to the next customer.

Because if you had read my post above, you would have seen that I posted that my husband is a longshoreman. I look at his paystubs every week and he does not make $90/hour and he has been there for over 30 years!

Does he work at Port of Miami and are you looking at overtime rate? The $90 is Port of Miami wage for senior longshoremen doing overtime. $40 to $60 is the standard rate. Different ports have different wages.

5. Excursions-

I answered the question posed by the OP and didn't ask for your opinion. I am entitled to do as I please with the money I earned. I won't change because YOU think I should. Posts like yours drive people away because they are not allowed to post honestly without a negative comment.

http://www.ilaunion.org/news_contract_ratified.html

And it's not about their salary: If these guys were consistently polite and helpful, people would not be questioning their tips. Reports of extreme rudeness by some porters have started the debate; it's their own fault. If someone does not want to tip them, or doesn't tip them 'enough', they should shut their mouth and move on to the next customer.

Marci, I agree, if porters are rude, they should not be tipped. I must say I've never encountered a rude or aggressive porter. Not once. I've only been on 4 cruises out of Miami, but still...That's just my experience and I've responded accordingly.

What I find interesting is that folks that work on the ship seem to talk freely to passengers about how little they make and that doesn't bother people. I was brought up not to talk about or ask how much a person makes. I would never ask any employee on a cruise ship how much they make, and if they were to bring it up to me, that would raise a huge red flag, like they were trying to get more out of me. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but trying to make me feel bad because you chose a lower paying job--one that pays a lot more than one can probably make in your home country--is not going to get me to tip more. In fact, it will probably do the opposite.

What I find interesting is that folks that work on the ship seem to talk freely to passengers about how little they make and that doesn't bother people. I was brought up not to talk about or ask how much a person makes. I would never ask any employee on a cruise ship how much they make, and if they were to bring it up to me, that would raise a huge red flag, like they were trying to get more out of me. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but trying to make me feel bad because you chose a lower paying job--one that pays a lot more than one can probably make in your home country--is not going to get me to tip more. In fact, it will probably do the opposite.

In six cruises, I've never had a cruise employee tell me how much they earn. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to some people, but I don't think it's all that common for the employees to "talk freely to passengers about how little they make." I suspect that most of the times that they DO talk about it, it is when someone has asked. (And I agree with you. I was brought up believing that was not something you should ask.)

In six cruises, I've never had a cruise employee tell me how much they earn. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to some people, but I don't think it's all that common for the employees to "talk freely to passengers about how little they make." I suspect that most of the times that they DO talk about it, it is when someone has asked. (And I agree with you. I was brought up believing that was not something you should ask.)

On Majesty, we were in Boleros (I think...) and a gal asked the bartender how much he made in tips. He said he was not supposed to talk about that and said he would appreciate it if she would not ask again. He got a nice tip from us--he was a very good waiter, and I appreciate that he changed the subject even though there really weren't too many people that could hear the conversation. Sure, he probably would've lost his job if he talked about it, but still he did the right thing.

My commentd were based on the numerous posts I've seen on here that start off with "Well, I asked my waiter about his tips and he told me," or "Based on my conversation with my steward who said he makes...". I just can't imagine why anyone would think that is an appropriate conversation.

Does he work at Port of Miami and are you looking at overtime rate? The $90 is Port of Miami wage for senior longshoremen doing overtime. $40 to $60 is the standard rate. Different ports have different wages.

The ILWU (west coast) has almost exactly the same pay scale as the the east coast and no it does not matter which port you work at, it depends on which union. The economy has hit the east coast workers even more than here on the west so the average worker is not working any overtime and is lucky to get one or two shifts per week!

Again, it is no one business how much someone makes or how much others tip. A porter is a typically tipped job so I tip. Just like I tip the same for a waiter who makes less than minimum wage as one who makes more. Their salary is none of my business and I tip for services given. it sounds like you have a major beef with anyone working for a union- jealous maybe?

We just took a cruise out of Miami on the Liberty from the 21st to the 28th of March. We are a family of 4 & travel LIGHTLY!!! We each had a back pack & one suitcase that we could carry on the plane with us (we have lost too many suitcases in our lives, so no longer do we check them in). The shuttle had just dropped us off.....my husband grabbed my rollie suitcase from me & gave our 4 little suitcases to the porter. I was still trying to get off the shuttle when my husband grabs my arm & informs me that the porter is getting impatient for his tip! (I always carry the money & do the tipping). My husband tells me that the porter told him 3 times that "we won't see him again" & he was NOT about to leave without his tip! OF COURSE I TIPPED HIM cuz that is what I always do! BUT, I WAS TICKED at the way the porter handled the situation. Had I known THEN what I know now, I would NOT have tipped him!!!

I thought the only money he made was from tips, so I felt sorry for him! I had NO idea that they were so well paid!

Willowbranch

We just took a cruise out of Miami on the Liberty from the 21st to the 28th of March. We are a family of 4 & travel LIGHTLY!!! We each had a back pack & one suitcase that we could carry on the plane with us (we have lost too many suitcases in our lives, so no longer do we check them in). The shuttle had just dropped us off.....my husband grabbed my rollie suitcase from me & gave our 4 little suitcases to the porter. I was still trying to get off the shuttle when my husband grabs my arm & informs me that the porter is getting impatient for his tip! (I always carry the money & do the tipping). My husband tells me that the porter told him 3 times that "we won't see him again" & he was NOT about to leave without his tip! OF COURSE I TIPPED HIM cuz that is what I always do! BUT, I WAS TICKED at the way the porter handled the situation. Had I known THEN what I know now, I would NOT have tipped him!!!

I thought the only money he made was from tips, so I felt sorry for him! I had NO idea that they were so well paid!

Willowbranch

Next time just carry your bags onboard. If they qualify as airline carryon, they qualify as ship carry-on, too.:)

Again, it is no one business how much someone makes or how much others tip. A porter is a typically tipped job so I tip. Just like I tip the same for a waiter who makes less than minimum wage as one who makes more. Their salary is none of my business and I tip for services given. it sounds like you have a major beef with anyone working for a union- jealous maybe?

I am curious. If you went out to eat at a restaurant and there were signs up at the restaurant saying the waiters are fully salaried - no tipping is required, would you still tip if you just received average service and did not ask the waiter to do anything that required extra effort?

While I agree that an individual's precise salary in most jobs is not anybody's business, whether or not a person is fully salaried or receiving a reduced salary expected to be supplemented by tips is people's business.

I am curious. If you went out to eat at a restaurant and there were signs up at the restaurant saying the waiters are fully salaried - no tipping is required, would you still tip if you just received average service and did not ask the waiter to do anything that required extra effort?

While I agree that an individual's precise salary in most jobs is not anybody's business, whether or not a person is fully salaried or receiving a reduced salary expected to be supplemented by tips is people's business.

Yep. I still would. I always tip waiters no matter how much they make, it is none of my business.

Hi all,

I will start by saying I mean no disrespect to what people have said here. As a person who lives in Australia I find tipping very hard to grasp. I understand the principal and while I dont agree with it I understand it is part of the culture in America and as such I try my best to tip accordingly. However, there are times when I find it down right confusing! Tipping the person who takes your bags at the terminal? It never even occurred to me! I saw it as when the airline takes my bag at the airport and I havent seen any one tip them. We always pre-pay our tips as it is one hassle out of the way - again we never thought to put more money in the envelope. On our first cruise and our first visit to the USA we were confused and met the hotel director on the ship and had a great chat to him. He told us that the pre-pay was enough and that we didnt need to worry about tipping the drinks people as RCI added the tip on when you bought the drink. On the last night of our last cruise I was waiting for my pasta dish at the Windjammer and the man in front of me picked up his pasta dish and then threw a couple of dollars on the glass shelf for the man making the pasta - I ran back to my husband and asked if we were meant to tip him?? We try and do the right thing - we had a bar waiter who always had a diet coke on the bar ready for me when I arrived (I had the soda package) at the end of the cruise when went and tipped him as he didnt need to have it ready for me - but am I meant to tip if I have the soda package? Oh it is so confusing!

We were in Vegas a couple of years ago and the hotel had a 'free courtesy shuttle'. However there was a tip basket and the driver called out for tips as you where getting off. We got annoyed by this so got on a public bus and the driver there had a tip basket as well! I just wish that Royal would make it clear who you need to tip and what amount - it would make life a lot easier - especially for the large number of people traveling from overseas. Or even better - every one get paid a decent wage and do away with tipping! I haven't received better service in the US to what I receive at home in Australia - I would rather pay more for my meal then have to worry about not tipping enough and doing an injustice to some one who has worked hard.

I hope you understand where I am coming from!! We often will choose to eat at a place like McDonalds(which we are not huge fans of!) because we dont have to worry about tipping - or are we meant to tip at McDonalds as well?????

Hi all,

I hope you understand where I am coming from!! We often will choose to eat at a place like McDonalds(which we are not huge fans of!) because we dont have to worry about tipping - or are we meant to tip at McDonalds as well?????

I know exactly where you are coming from.

There's been a rash of tip jars appearing at the local pizzeria, dunkin Donuts, and numerous other places all of a sudden.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TIP AT ANY OF THESE PLACES, AND SHOULDN'T.

As a rule of thuimb, I don't tip ANYWHERE if a tip jar is present. That's the signal to tell you it's not the norm.

Archived