Tell me, how much do you tip?

LJLB6

That's interesting that HAL, Princess and Carnival (all part of Carnival Corp.) have different answers to the same question.

I think they may be all right, in a sense, though. It may be "customary" even though it is not necessary, and may even be prohibited at some ports.

Yes, that's a good point. Even though the porters probably shouldn't be tipped for simply placing your luggage onto a cart as you arrive and pushing the cart a few yards, it does seem that the majority of people do actually tip them (some people quite a large sum of money).

I still think that most people tipping them are doing so either out of fear (i.e. that their luggage will not make it unscathed if they do not tip) or because they do not realize they are earning a high end salary and already being generously compensated for their job duties.

Also, many people seem to think that they play a bigger role than they do (i.e. that they are involved with actually bringing the baggage onto the ship) - all they do is push the cart a few yards and other people take over from there! What is sad is the people who actually sort and deliver the luggage earn a tiny fraction of what the longshoremen earn and receive $0 tipping monies for this while actually doing more work.

I would say, in general, that tipping is such a controversial topic, with different people having different feelings, that it'd be hard to have a good discussion of ONE of these tipping topics in a thread, much less all of them at once.

But, I will comment on some of them. As far as the bartenders and the wine, I generally think the 15% is plenty of tip, unless they do something extra for you. Opening and pouring a bottle of wine is certainly not an "extra" amount of service. I feel similar about the specialty restaurants. If you get extra-special treatment and feel moved to tip extra, by all means do so. But there should be no expectation of extra tips.

I agree w you completely. A tip of 15% to pour some wine out of a bottle or to give me a beer is outrageously high. Adding to this is totally insane.

Except for the add-on tip for the cabin attendant and the wait staff, I never add an additional tip for anything.

I do tip generously for the cabin attendant and the wait staff (assuming that they are good) as I have contact w them over the entire cruise.

DON

There is definitely a sign in one Florida port stating that tipping is not permitted, but I can't remember which one. I noticed the sign after I had tipped the porter. btw I have always tipped the porters, regardless of salary, but I didn't like the times they put their hand out before service, and the times they told me to 'just leave the bags here' then walked away counting their money.

Seriously, there are multiple threads on whether or not the MDR waiter deserves his $3.50 a night but people are throwing $5/bag at porters who handle it for less than 1 minute. I don't get it.

The porters are goons and bullies and we tip them because we are afraid not to.

DON

1. Porters at terminal--tipped $2 per bag

If the local custom is one of tipping, we tip a couple of dollars for one bag, $5 for two, since we don't usually have enough singles. Never have more than 2 to check.

2. Bar service--they automatically add 15% tip---if we ordered several drinks together as a family, I added on $1 or $2--if only one drink, stayed with the 15%.

That depends on the bar service. We've had bartenders go to another bar to get what we want, and other who simply say that they are out of the item. The first one gets an additional tip, the second does not (unless the whole ship is out, but they still wouldn't get more unless they actually did something like overfill the wine glass.;))

3. Taxi drivers in the ports---we usually tipped 20% of the bill with a minimum of $2, but I just found out on this cruise, that taxi drivers in Cozumel and Costa Maya do not expect a tip.

I try to read up on local custom ahead of time and tip accordingly. For example, in Australia you just round up the amount.

4. Wine service--this was a subject of debate. We bought the 5 bottle wine package which included a 15% gratuity--total for package was $155. When they bring you your wine bottle at dinner, you have to sign for it, and there is an extra line for an additional tip. I wanted to tip an additional $2 for the head waiter or waiter to open the bottle and pour the wine but husband thought this was excessive on top of the 15%--plus you tip these people at the end anyway (it would have been an additional $10 tip for 5 bottles of wine bringing the 5 bottle package to $170).

I wouldn't tip extra for wine service. They already charge enough for the wine that the 15% is often more than you'd pay in a comparable land-based restaurant. On the other hand, if the waiter goes and gets the good red wine glasses (they have a few, which I just learned recently) and remembers to do it every night, you can bet there will be something extra for him at the end of the cruise.

5. Excursions--we did Cavetubing in Belize and tipped $5 for each of us ($20 total for 4)--this was split between the driver and the guides. When going to an all inclusive resort, we tipped the server $10 per person (with the exception of Nachi Cocum where we gave the money to the bartender instead). We did a private land tour with Captain Marvins--tipped the tour guide $25 for the 4 of us in the van (husband thought this was too much for a 2 hour tour).

We tip on excursions based on the length of the tour, quality of the excursion and local custom. In New Zealand, nobody tips. We had such a great wine tour and had over half of a bottle of Shiraz left from one tasting, which I gave to our guide. That was worth about $10 NZD.

6. Johnny Rockets--your gratuity is included in the $4.95 fee ($20 for 4 of us). We tipped an additional $4 ($1 each person).

We used to leave a tip when we used the coupon for a free burger - we figured that the server wasn't getting anything. Now that we pay $4.95 if we go (rarely), I think we won't leave an additional gratuity unless the server does something above & beyond the normal service routine.

7. Specialty restaurants--Chops--this was another subject of debate because it was $100 for all 4 of us--and gratuity is included in this fee. When you sign the check, there is a line for additional gratuity---we tipped an additional $20 for 4 of us.

Depends on the service - in Chops on Radiance we had fabulous service and tipped an extra $10 for 2 of us. In Portofino I wish I could have removed the gratuity amount because the service was ridiculously slow. We sat and watched others who had come in later get served much more promptly (I'm all for gracious dining, but 3 hours is too much).

I really enjoyed reading this thread, but I'm curious - I noticed a lot of folks seemed to indicate they would tip extra when they got "extraordinary" or "exemplary" service. (Waterbug123 gave a great example.) But for those in other roles or areas, what kinds of service or tasks would you consider "extraordinary?" What specifically moved you to tip additionally? Was it just a friendly face? Or the fact that you became familiar with these folks over a few days? Or was there other, more significant, tasks they did for you?

Just curious where "groupthink" line is for "Extraordinary" :)

Some of the above, and also if we have extra requests that are fulfilled. We like to have extra pillows, feather if we can get them. We sometimes entertain in our cabin, and that generates more cleanup work for the cabin steward. We may have special requests of the waitstaff - if they can fulfill them I think that's worth something extra.

We were trying to get a couple of bottles of wines for a party and the bartender in one bar wouldn't honor our Diamond coupon, even though he had the wine there. DH said, "I'll go see Michael," in another bar, and voila, it was done. That sort of above & beyond behavior gets a reward.

for those in other roles or areas, what kinds of service or tasks would you consider "extraordinary?" What specifically moved you to tip additionally? :)

Some examples of what I've considered to be "above and beyond" routine expected duties:

Wait staff example: Asst. waiter, night #1 bread basket had no savory bites. So I asked and he brought some. Next night, and every night thereafter, he had a basket of nothing but savory bites already on our table when we sat down.

Another wait staff example: I like horserdish in my morning bloody caesars, and usually bring a jar from home because they never have horseradish at the pool bars. Last cruise I forgot to pack a jar, so asked in the MDR the first night for a ramekin of it to take back to the cabin fridge. A few minutes later, the waiter returned with a ramekin full, covered in plastic wrap for me.

Another: in Chops one night we had 6 in our party and 1 person asked if it would be possible to get the escargot he was missing in the MDR that night. Waiter said he'd check. Next thing you know, he's delivering not 1 but 6 escargot plates for the entire table.

Just a few of the things I personally consider "above and beyond" and therefore warrant an addition to the standard tip.

Waterbug123's example is interesting. I've always tipped at the end of the cruise, after the service has been given. Isn't ALWAYS giving an extra tip to a regular server simply paying for better service rather than 'tipping' as such?

I look at it this way: I could wait til the end of the cruise, to see if the bartender gives me exemplary service of his own free will, so to speak. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. But if I indicate from the beginning that I'm willing to tip more, then I'm far more likely to get that increased level of service guaranteed.:)

And perhaps what I didn't make clear is that after a couple of drinks with extra tip added, if I don't detect any increased level of service, the extra tips stop and/or I find a different bartender/server from whom to order.

End result: instead of walking off the ship saying "gee, the bar service could have been a lot better" I am walking off the ship saying "I really hope Rey gets his wish to work the Allure inaugural so we can spend another week at "his" bar.":)

Most of the items you mentioned seemed way too much. For example, a bartender, doing 20 drinks an hour, which includes popping open a beer, will make over $20.00 an hour at the prices the cruise line charges.

quote]

Did you know that the bartenders rotate duties? And that on the next cruise someone else may be "out front" earning the extra tips while he is spending the following week working as a barback, basically spending the week schlepping racks of bar glasses, cases of beer, buckets of ice, etc. and earning $0 in extra tips.

I think tipping varies from country to country.

In the Uk it used to be 10% (sometimes 12.5 and the most ever added to a bill I have had was 15%)

But then we got the miniumim wage and also tips are taxed etc by some companies (legally required especially if paid by credit/debit card). Some places use the Tips to pay the wages I understand (legal caes about it all).

In Singapore no tips at all but hotels add 10% services to the bill overall.

A 'tip' is a payment that is freely given by the customer, normally in return for services. A compulsory service charge is not a tip because it is not freely given- Quote fron gvt website

A service charge is automatically added - it is non negotiable and does not need to go to the serving staff.

So do RC uses the word tip when they mean service charge????

It's partially a naming issue; they refer to it as a gratuity which in some countries implies that it's optional. However it goes to pay the crew's wages (whether that's right or wrong is a whole new discussion, but it's the way it is). Waiters, cabin steward etc receive a very low salary and the EXPECTATION is that their salary is made up with gratuities.

So, it's a gratuity/tip and therefore technically optional but it is expected so it isn't really...

I really enjoyed reading this thread, but I'm curious - I noticed a lot of folks seemed to indicate they would tip extra when they got "extraordinary" or "exemplary" service. (Waterbug123 gave a great example.) But for those in other roles or areas, what kinds of service or tasks would you consider "extraordinary?" What specifically moved you to tip additionally? Was it just a friendly face? Or the fact that you became familiar with these folks over a few days? Or was there other, more significant, tasks they did for you?

Just curious where "groupthink" line is for "Extraordinary" :)

On LOS last week, we went to the welcome aboard show on the first night and ordered a round of drinks. Then on Monday, we went to the Ice show. As soon as we sat down, the same waitress came over and asked me by name if DW and I would like a drink. She remember my name after taking 1 drink order from us the previous day! I was impressed and gave an extra tip (note, I didn't tip extra the first night). That night, we went to the show in the Theater. The same waitress saw us walking in and asked if we would like the usual (we ordered the same drink the 2 previous times). Needless to say, every show we went to, our waitress would see us come in and bring us our usual drinks. To me, this was extraordinary service and I tipped her extra every time.

Cool. How much karma do you get for giving away money to people who don't need it and don't do much to earn it (other than their jobs for which they're already well paid)?

I have never seen a "no tipping" sign at a pier. I don't know these people, so who am I to say whether or not they need money? They do a job that I would never want to do, so to me they earn it. Considering I cruise maybe once a year, another $10 or so isn't really that big of a deal. I've had porters that have paid more attention to me than some waiters in the MDR and it's expected that I tip them.

But if you and RetireeWannabe are looking for work, I usually cruise in December. My bags are usually pretty heavy, so I'd start lifting!

>>>>>

1. Porters at terminal--tipped $2 per bag Same

2. Bar service--they automatically add 15% tip---if we ordered several drinks together as a family, I added on $1 or $2--if only one drink, stayed with the 15%. We're infamous for friending our bar tenders WELL.

3. Taxi drivers in the ports---we usually tipped 20% of the bill with a minimum of $2, but I just found out on this cruise, that taxi drivers in Cozumel and Costa Maya do not expect a tip. we dont use

4. Wine service--this was a subject of debate. We bought the 5 bottle wine package which included a 15% gratuity--total for package was $155. When they bring you your wine bottle at dinner, you have to sign for it, and there is an extra line for an additional tip. I wanted to tip an additional $2 for the head waiter or waiter to open the bottle and pour the wine but husband thought this was excessive on top of the 15%--plus you tip these people at the end anyway (it would have been an additional $10 tip for 5 bottles of wine bringing the 5 bottle package to $170). we dont drink wine

5. Excursions--we did Cavetubing in Belize and tipped $5 for each of us ($20 total for 4)--this was split between the driver and the guides. When going to an all inclusive resort, we tipped the server $10 per person (with the exception of Nachi Cocum where we gave the money to the bartender instead). We did a private land tour with Captain Marvins--tipped the tour guide $25 for the 4 of us in the van (husband thought this was too much for a 2 hour tour) $25 for 4 of us as well if the guide/tour was worth it

6. Johnny Rockets--your gratuity is included in the $4.95 fee ($20 for 4 of us). We tipped an additional $4 ($1 each person). Same

7. Specialty restaurants--Chops--this was another subject of debate because it was $100 for all 4 of us--and gratuity is included in this fee. When you sign the check, there is a line for additional gratuity---we tipped an additional $20 for 4 of us. Absolutly the same @Portofino

We tip with pleasure when the service warrants. Cabin stewards 95% of the time have been very good. (one time there was nothing extra for our Steward) - MDR staff has always been outstanding and made our experience wonderful. As for the specialty restaurants, our experience at Portofino has always been exemplary, wonderful and attentive. With gratitude its a pleasure to give them an extra tip, especially when you go back more than once. I think you were pretty on target.. BTW- it is unlikely that the porters at Cape Liberty are unionized longshoremen.

My husband and I look at the tipping issue this way: we are truly fortunate to live the life we have, and to have the money to take 2-3 cruises per year. So if we are going to make a mistake in regards to tipping, it will always be to overtip. We have never had a cruise where the service was less than exemplary, and have always been impressed with how hard the staff works to give us a wonderful vacation. Being away from their families for months at a time and working long hours, seven days a week deserves more than the recommended amount, IMO.

Sherri:)

I've laid low on this topic long enough, and with our summer tour season about to get under way I guess I'll chime back in. In the summer months I work as bus driver/tour guide in Niagara Falls. Our "bread and butter tour" is a five hour tour that includes The Maid of the Mist, The Cave of the Winds and the Daredevil Museum along with stops at Luna Island, Whirlpool State Park and a drive down the Niagara Escarpment if the weather is nice enough to see Toronto. I give about 90 minutes of narration/story telling/history throughout the tour. Last year I earned an average of $6.50 per person in tips for this work. That works out just fine for me with an average tour group of 17 people.

Just remember that about two thirds of a tour guide's income comes from his or her tips. Without a gratuity he is working for minimum wage. So on behalf of my brothers and sisters in this part of the hospitiality industry around the world, be kind to your tour guides.:)

I've laid low on this topic long enough, and with our summer tour season about to get under way I guess I'll chime back in. In the summer months I work as bus driver/tour guide in Niagara Falls. Our "bread and butter tour" is a five hour tour that includes The Maid of the Mist, The Cave of the Winds and the Daredevil Museum along with stops at Luna Island, Whirlpool State Park and a drive down the Niagara Escarpment if the weather is nice enough to see Toronto. I give about 90 minutes of narration/story telling/history throughout the tour. Last year I earned an average of $6.50 per person in tips for this work. That works out just fine for me with an average tour group of 17 people.

Just remember that about two thirds of a tour guide's income comes from his or her tips. Without a gratuity he is working for minimum wage. So on behalf of my brothers and sisters in this part of the hospitiality industry around the world, be kind to your tour guides.:)

Here's my question:

Some people say that porters shouldn't get tipped because they are doing their jobs.

You're doing your job as a tour guide. Why should you be tipped? It's a serious question because I have never understood why a tour guide should be tipped. I would have no reason to know that you only work for minimum wage, nor would I have reason to know how much a porter makes. Waiters and other commonly used folks, I'd have a general idea. But aren't you hired to give the history, etc.? I used to give tours of my campus and no one tipped me.

I don't mean to single you out, but I'm genuinely curious.

Some people say that porters shouldn't get tipped because they are doing their jobs.

Actually, those who say porters shouldn't get tipped generally base it upon the fact that porters tend to be relatively high-paid union workers. Waiters get tipped for doing their jobs, but without the tips, they don't make enough to live on.

Actually, those who say porters shouldn't get tipped generally base it upon the fact that porters tend to be relatively high-paid union workers. Waiters get tipped for doing their jobs, but without the tips, they don't make enough to live on.

To me that makes no sense. I tip based on services rendered, not how much I think someone makes. I have friends who are waiters who make much more than I do, and I have a salaried job. Should I not tip them well because I know they're doing ok? By that logic, I should give a better tip to someone who works at Olive Garden than someone who works at Ruth's Chris--most likely the latter is better off. I don't penalize or reward someone because of the job they chose; I penalize or reward based on how they perform that job. If you chose not to pick a high-paid union job, then that's not my issue.

The guys at Starbucks put out a tip box. Am I supposed to tip them? They don't make a lot of money, so based on your argument, I should.

Here's my question:

You're doing your job as a tour guide. Why should you be tipped? It's a serious question because I have never understood why a tour guide should be tipped. I would have no reason to know that you only work for minimum wage, nor would I have reason to know how much a porter makes. Waiters and other commonly used folks, I'd have a general idea. But aren't you hired to give the history, etc.? I used to give tours of my campus and no one tipped me.

I don't mean to single you out, but I'm genuinely curious.

My minimum wage pay assumes that I will earn tips if I do my job well. In the same way that a waitress would. She's acually in a worse postion than me, as she is typically paid below minimum wage. Tour Bus Drivers and Guides are considered part of the hospitality industry and tipping for good service is anticipated by the employer. (Check the Emily Post Guide to confirm this.) In contrast, over the road bus drivers are start at $16.00 and move up to high teens and low twenties. The Greyhound bus driver may earn some tips by going the extra mile with carrying suitcases etc. But it is not expected by his employer that he earn a large portion of his income through gratuities.

When I am on tour I believe that I am working as much, if not more, for the people in my group than I am for my company.

My minimum wage pay assumes that I will earn tips if I do my job well. In the same way that a waitress would. She's acually in a worse postion than me, as she is typically paid below minimum wage. Tour Bus Drivers and Guides are considered part of the hospitality industry and tipping for good service is anticipated by the employer. (Check the Emily Post Guide to confirm this.) In contrast, over the road bus drivers are start at $16.00 and move up to high teens and low twenties. The Greyhound bus driver may earn some tips by going the extra mile with carrying suitcases etc. But it is not expected by his employer that he earn a large portion of his income through gratuities.

When I am on tour I believe that I am working as much, if not more, for the people in my group than I am for my company.

I learn a lot on CC. Thanks!

To me that makes no sense. I tip based on services rendered, not how much I think someone makes.

No, you do not. Nobody does this. Most people in service jobs are not tipped - they are salaried. Do you tip your politicians? If you call 911, do you tip the police officer that responds? The paramedics and nurses if you have an emergency? Do you tip your children's teachers? Do you tip the activity staff on the cruise ship? Do you tip your dental hygienist? Do you tip the baggage handler at the airport who offloads your luggage from the plane and delivers it to baggage claim? Do you tip the bagger at your grocery store? Do you tip flight attendants on planes when they serve you a beverage? Do you tip your city public transportation bus driver?

In the U.S. people tip those in jobs where they receive a reduced salary with the expectation that their salary will be supplemented by tips. People may also tip salaried people who perform extra work/go above and beyond expectations (i.e. an electrician who does an extra task for no additional charge).

With "porters" at cruise terminals, people often become confused because they see them as the equivalent of skycaps at airports and bellhops at hotels (people performing similar duties, but receiving a low salary that is supplemented by tips). However at U.S. cruise terminals, the "porters" are actually highly paid, unionized longshoreman. They fall in the category of politicians/flight attendants/dental hygienists/teachers etc. in that they are performing a service, but are being fully compensated for that service. Unless you have them do a service above and beyond handing them your baggage as you arrive to the port, there is no reason to tip them any more than any of the other non-tipped service jobs.

Of course if anybody wants to tip them, fine, nobody will stop you. For me, I'd rather save that money and use it towards extra tips for the hard working people on the ship who are earning less in a month in salary than the longshoremen earn in an hour.

The porters are goons and bullies and we tip them because we are afraid not to.

DON

LOL!! Yeah, I would be afraid to not tip the porters - they may put my luggage on another ship by mistake !?!

No, you do not. Nobody does this. Most people in service jobs are not tipped - they are salaried. Do you tip your politicians? If you call 911, do you tip the police officer that responds? The paramedics and nurses if you have an emergency? Do you tip your children's teachers? Do you tip the activity staff on the cruise ship? Do you tip your dental hygienist? Do you tip the baggage handler at the airport who offloads your luggage from the plane and delivers it to baggage claim? Do you tip the bagger at your grocery store? Do you tip flight attendants on planes when they serve you a beverage? Do you tip your city public transportation bus driver?

In the U.S. people tip those in jobs where they receive a reduced salary with the expectation that their salary will be supplemented by tips. People may also tip salaried people who perform extra work/go above and beyond expectations (i.e. an electrician who does an extra task for no additional charge).

With "porters" at cruise terminals, people often become confused because they see them as the equivalent of skycaps at airports and bellhops at hotels (people performing similar duties, but receiving a low salary that is supplemented by tips). However at U.S. cruise terminals, the "porters" are actually highly paid, unionized longshoreman. They fall in the category of politicians/flight attendants/dental hygienists/teachers etc. in that they are performing a service, but are being fully compensated for that service. Unless you have them do a service above and beyond handing them your baggage as you arrive to the port, there is no reason to tip them any more than any of the other non-tipped service jobs.

Of course if anybody wants to tip them, fine, nobody will stop you. For me, I'd rather save that money and use it towards extra tips for the hard working people on the ship who are earning less in a month in salary than the longshoremen earn in an hour.

Not following your logic, but no matter...I would never tell anyone that they tip too little or they are tipping the wrong person. Why do you feel that it's appropriate to tell me that I'm tipping incorrectly or too much? You have no idea how much I tip the people on board. Just because I am generous with the porters doesn't mean I'm not equally generous with everyone else I come into contact with. I was raised to tip generously and that's what I do. The $10 I spend on the porters has no impact on my onboard tipping. NONE. The porters take good care of my bags, so they get a tip. If the folks on board take good care of me, they get a good tip. I don't care how much money they make. They have a job to do, and if they don't do it, bad tip. I don't ask a lot, and someone would have to be horrible to not get a tip from me. I usually tip above the suggested amount.

Here's my two-cents. I always bring plenty of $1 and $5 bills for tips. We usually don't use the port's porters as we travel light, one overnight wheeled suitcase/person. We usually big-time time our cabin attendant, thinking some one else is jibbing them. I usually end of falling "in love" with them bc of the face time that occurs. That is must my opinion. We tip $5 to $7 for room service.

As for excursions, I plan ahead of time what I am going to tip bc usually I/we also "fall in love with them" too. Depending on the length of the tour. If it is 3.5 hr tour, then about $20/for the two of us. The problem comes in if there is a driver involved.. For some reason, I don't feel like tipping that person. That would be $10/two of us. In Alaska, one excursion, there were additional 'helpers" beside the bus driver and talking-head tour guide. They loaded and unloaded the rafts. I didn't budget for that and there were maybe three of them!!! Where to draw the line.

For Portofino, DH tipped extra bc the waiter looked like our younger son. LOL. I didn't know the tip for portofino was included in the $20 charge. Maybe I still don't understand.

Anyway, I feel like those hardworking folks on the ship are "captive" and I like to do my share. but that is just me. I could understand and respect other people's reasoning.

Not following your logic, but no matter...I would never tell anyone that they tip too little or they are tipping the wrong person. Why do you feel that it's appropriate to tell me that I'm tipping incorrectly or too much? You have no idea how much I tip the people on board. Just because I am generous with the porters doesn't mean I'm not equally generous with everyone else I come into contact with. I was raised to tip generously and that's what I do. The $10 I spend on the porters has no impact on my onboard tipping. NONE. The porters take good care of my bags, so they get a tip. If the folks on board take good care of me, they get a good tip. I don't care how much money they make. They have a job to do, and if they don't do it, bad tip. I don't ask a lot, and someone would have to be horrible to not get a tip from me. I usually tip above the suggested amount.

I agree! I do not ask someone what their salary is before I tip them. If they work in a position that is normally one that you tip for, I tip. Good for them if they were fortunate enough to work work within a great union. They are still working as porters even though they are longshoremen. Being a longshoreman does not change what they do. Are you saying that when a longshoreman works as a crane driver, he is not really a crane driver. Or the day he works as a forklift operator, he is not really a forklift operator? Doesn't make much sense does it?

Also the hours wages that were mentioned ($40-$90) per hour are totally not accurate. My husband is a longshoreman, has been one since the late 70's and is therefore at the top of the payscale and does not come close to $90 per hour- I wish!:) When the port is really, really busy they may work over 40 hours a week and then get overtime but those days are few and far between since the economy has changed. They are lucky to get 25 hours a week now and many don't get that. They have to go down to the union hall every single day and bid for a job which could be one of many jobs including porter if there happens to be a cruiseship in. But on the days where 300 men show up and there are only 100 jobs for the day, the rest go home and try again the next day.

And no, my husband has never worked as a porter! He would if he went to Seattle more but he works in Tacoma where there are no cruiseships.

I agree! I do not ask someone what their salary is before I tip them. If they work in a position that is normally one that you tip for, I tip. Good for them if they were fortunate enough to work work within a great union. They are still working as porters even though they are longshoremen. Being a longshoreman does not change what they do. Are you saying that when a longshoreman works as a crane driver, he is not really a crane driver. Or the day he works as a forklift operator, he is not really a forklift operator? Doesn't make much sense does it?

Also the hours wages that were mentioned ($40-$90) per hour are totally not accurate. My husband is a longshoreman, has been one since the late 70's and is therefore at the top of the payscale and does not come close to $90 per hour- I wish!:) When the port is really, really busy they may work over 40 hours a week and then get overtime but those days are few and far between since the economy has changed. They are lucky to get 25 hours a week now and many don't get that. They have to go down to the union hall every single day and bid for a job which could be one of many jobs including porter if there happens to be a cruiseship in. But on the days where 300 men show up and there are only 100 jobs for the day, the rest go home and try again the next day.

And no, my husband has never worked as a porter! He would if he went to Seattle more but he works in Tacoma where there are no cruiseships.

If Gonzo says the porters make between $40-$90 per hour, MUST be true.

No, you do not. Nobody does this. Most people in service jobs are not tipped - they are salaried. Do you tip your politicians?

r.

Politicians are tipped all the time. They call them "campaign contributions". Most of us call them "bribes:.

DON

Archived