Whale shark watching in Belize

FOXTROT

Just back on 1/22/05 from Splendour of the Seas RCI. We had rough seas, missed our first stop in Grand Cayman, sunny but not pleasant shore conditions in Costa Maya, but did manage to snorkel in Belize. Did one hour ride out to reef, rough, rough, snorkel conditons,,,,,,but,,,,,,,also stopped at shark ray alley and that was grand!! Just put your mask in the water and viola you are surrounded by manta rays. What a memeory. Time should NOT scare you. We booked independently, got a late start, and were back in plenty of time. The people on shore know and manipulate it to work. Have fun, and hope you have better seas. Our seas were 4 to 8 feet (sometimes up to 13) and our skies were not full sun, and it was still fun. What a memory (we are in our early 60s and have done lots of snorkeling in Maui for the past 15 or so years....live in St. Louis). Book it, and do not be scared if you have to wait on ship for tenders. We had to wait until all shore excursions booked thru RCI were accomodated.....we were stressing because of the clock, got into shore and had to wait for over 1 1/2 hrs.....the shore excursions do accomodate you! Have fun!!

surrounded by manta rays
Sorry to correct you, but they had to be stingrays - not Manta Rays. I don't mean to be a snob or anything but I just don't want anyone reading this post to think that they will be seeing Manta Rays at Shark-Ray Alley in Belize. Manta Rays are huge (6-10' wingspans or larger), black tops and white bottoms, are diamond shaped when viewed from the top, and are very, very rare. Stingrays have wingspans of no more than 3-4' max, can be one of several colors, usually have a roundish shape when viewed from the top, and are far more common. If you see something that kind of looks like the Manta Ray that I described but is a little smaller and spotted, then you saw an Eagle Ray which is more rare than a stingray but much more common than a Manta Ray. You might have seen an Eagle Ray. If you were to have actually seen a Manta Ray, then you would be very, very lucky as I had to travel half way around the world and did over 100 scuba dives before I saw my first one!

Atlantis on Nassau has Manta Rays, at least 2 of them. In their aquarium. They are very cool. Not that that has anything to with anything. I believe the original poster asked about whale sharks and Belize. And I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. Not too many of the RCI cruises stop there. :)

We will be visiting Belize in late April. This is prime time to view whale sharks. Has anyone ever did this while visiting on a cruise ship? Don't know if there is enough time.

We have booked this excursion for our upcoming cruise. I have heard about the nurse sharks that are there, but not the whale sharks. It has been my DH's dream to see a whale shark. That would be a wonderful thing to see!

It just occured to me that I didn't answer the question about Whale Sharks. I believe that the only place in Belize that has regular sightings of Whale Sharks is the southern most part of Belize near Placencia - and there is no way you will be able to get there during a cruise ship stop. The best shot you would have to see a Whale Shark on your Belize stop would be on the scuba excursion to Turneffe. This would give you a very remote shot of seeing one. I have been told that they might see one a season there - but not likely the area of Turneffe that they will take you too (the western protected side is where they will take you as opposed to the southern Elbow where you really might have a shot at seeing one. I'm with you, I have always wanted to see a Whale Shark and never have. :(

By the way, I have a few photos of Shark-Ray Alley on my website. Check them out at http://www.pbase.com/2112 and then go to Central America and then Belize. Enjoy!

Archived