Vacation and Cruise for $249 From Bass Pro Shop??

stiej

A friend of the family called and said she and her husband had entered a contest at the Bass Pro Shop. They were called and told they had "won" a vacation to Orlando and a Carnival Cruise and the price was only $249 total. Is this legit? I didnt know what to advise her. Thanks!

Sounds like a "come-on" to me. If they had actually won a cruise, there would be no extra charge.

We often see this type of "contest" at trade shows -- entering a draw for a car or boat often leads to a series of telemarketing calls for months and years to come.

I'm surprised that a reputable retailer would engage in this type of promotion.

Bass Pro is a very legit company. Sounds like congrats are in order to your friends for winning the contest. I do have a feeling that the Orlando part will be a time share pitch. They can just say no when the sales pitch starts and enjoy their discounted vacation.

Bass Pro is a very legit company. Sounds like congrats are in order to your friends for winning the contest. I do have a feeling that the Orlando part will be a time share pitch. They can just say no when the sales pitch starts and enjoy their discounted vacation.

They can say no, but not until they have sat through the entire sales pitch.

Otherwise they may be liable for addditional payment of some or all of the vacation costs.

They can say no, but not until they have sat through the entire sales pitch.

Otherwise they may be liable for addditional payment of some or all of the vacation costs.

Whatever- I have no idea what the terms of the contest were and don't really care. I was just trying to make a positive post as a counter to all the negatives ones that I know would be coming.;)

I have seen legitimate cruises given away in retail promotions that require the payment of taxes and fees only. $249 would be about right for taxes and port charges for a seven night cruise out of Florida.

It will be a 3-night Bahamas cruise for two (not a 7-night), during VERY limited sailings, and that $290.00 probably won't include Carnival's required pre-paid tips. Plus, you have to get to the port on your own - from the hotel in Orlando. I've been called about these "promotions", several times and they all include sitting through the very boring time-share presentations. You also have to get to Orlando on your own to listen to this. They usually offer a "discount" on a rental car to get you to the port. It's not worth a penny to do this. A local (also very legit) radio station offered this a few years ago, and the "winner" called back after the cruise to complain - on air - about the out-of-pocket extra money they had to spend.

A friend of the family called and said she and her husband had entered a contest at the Bass Pro Shop. They were called and told they had "won" a vacation to Orlando and a Carnival Cruise and the price was only $249 total. Is this legit? I didnt know what to advise her. Thanks!

A friend of mine went on a cruise this past Jan. She won the free cruise but not threw Bass . They paid 250.00 each (taxes and port charges) and they had a great time! It was a 7 day.

A friend of mine went on a cruise this past Jan. She won the free cruise but not threw Bass . They paid 250.00 each (taxes and port charges) and they had a great time! It was a 7 day.

Where did she win the cruise? What line did she cruise on for 7 nights? When did she cruise? What ports did she visit? I through my winning certificate away because I hate time-share presentations and limited cruising dates. TIA.

Where did she win the cruise? What line did she cruise on for 7 nights? When did she cruise? What ports did she visit? I through my winning certificate away because I hate time-share presentations and limited cruising dates. TIA.

She filled out a paper at a concert of all places. She went in I February. I believe it was carnival. And she said one of the ports was Grand Cayman. She was excited when she came back and was telling me about it. I don't remember all the details. It was a travel company they makes you sit through a long thing trying to sell you vacation packages. She said she didn't mind since they had nothing else to do that night and since her husband had said he'd go if she'd keep her lips sealed..LOL. He was surprised it was legit. And they went and had a great time.

(I said Jan the first time but I think she went in February. I just remember she was out of the classroom for a week. And I was jealous)

Bass Pro contracts with a company called "Outdoor Traveler" - who operates in the BP stores. This company is a Travel Agency that promotes cruises and land travel. This was just confirmed to me by the Bass Pro store in Prattville, AL. So, any cruise promos are done by Outdoor Traveler - not Bass Pro. And, apparently, Outdoor Travel promotes Carnival. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Sorry for interruptions in my postings. Charter was doing "repairs" on our internet services ALL day today. Which made it GREAT for paying bills on-line at the first of the month!

............Sorry for interruptions in my postings. Charter was doing "repairs" on our internet services ALL day today. Which made it GREAT for paying bills on-line at the first of the month!

Sorry to high-jack this thread but I have to agree about Charter. They are also my Internet provider and servers and/or upgrades always happen at the oddest of times.

To the OP. $249 sounds about right for port fees and government taxes. Think of it this way, even if they were on The Price is Right and won prizes the prizes they won would not be free. They still come with a price tag known as TAXES :eek:.

Let us know what your friends decided and if they do go how they liked their trip.

Yep. Good old Charter! Two mailings a week and one phone call offering me their "bundle", but NEVER a notification about an outage or service interruption. It takes about six calls just to figure out what's going on. And another six for any kind of compensation.

This reply will probably go poof.

Archived