Is this too much for one day?

melanie1877

Hi,

I am travelling on the Carnival Pride this May (2-9) with my 3yo son. In Nassau, we are booked on the Blue Lagoon beach excursion with Carnival that runs from 11:30 to 4:30. I thought that since our ship doesn't leave Nassau until 10pm, that after our excursion, we would be able to quickly change, head to the straw market to do some light shopping, and then head over to check out the public spaces in the Atlantis. Afterwards, if time allowed, I would love to be able to eat dinner in an authentic Bahamian restaurant, and still be back at the ship by 9 - 9:15. Can this be done, or am I planning too ambitious of an itinerary with a 3yo in tow? (I was planning on bringing his stroller so that he could nap at the straw market, while we do our shopping)

progress.gifedit.gif

Hi,

I am travelling on the Carnival Pride this May (2-9) with my 3yo son. In Nassau, we are booked on the Blue Lagoon beach excursion with Carnival that runs from 11:30 to 4:30. I thought that since our ship doesn't leave Nassau until 10pm, that after our excursion, we would be able to quickly change, head to the straw market to do some light shopping, and then head over to check out the public spaces in the Atlantis. Afterwards, if time allowed, I would love to be able to eat dinner in an authentic Bahamian restaurant, and still be back at the ship by 9 - 9:15. Can this be done, or am I planning too ambitious of an itinerary with a 3yo in tow? (I was planning on bringing his stroller so that he could nap at the straw market, while we do our shopping)

progress.gifedit.gif

It is possible, especially with a stroller handy! But, not sure what time it gets dark in Nassau that time of year, but just wanted to let you know that the Straw Market usually closes fairly early.

Sue

In St. Thomas was had a whole lot less time, did a Official Princess excursion, then the market in the town area, had a local lunch still had time, so we hopped a cab to Koki Beach for a hour or two. Just got back with 15 minutes to spare ... I dont recommend cutting it that close from a far away beach.

I think you are over planning. I usually am exhausted after one "beach type" excursion. I would want to go back to the ship and rest. Take a shower and go to dinner in the MDR or the Lido. We did the Stingray City and Rum Point excursion in March. After we tendered back to the ship, we grabbed a bite on the Lido deck. Then my husband, daughter and I crashed. Took a shower, then took a nap. Missed the past guest party and dinner in the MDR. First time I have ever missed the past guest party.

Relax, don't over plan. Its a vacation not a marathon. Anything you miss in Nassau this time you can do the next time you cruise. At least that's my attitude.

Seems like a lot for a 3-year-old. If I were you, I'd count on doing the excursion for sure, and just play it by ear when the excursion is over. That way, if you get to the straw market or Atlantis in the afternoon, great, but if you don't then you won't be disappointed and you won't feel rushed.

I don't know what type of planner you are, but when I over plan, I get all stressed out and crabby if things stray from my vision. So to avoid that stupid stress on my vacation, I try to keep most of my schedule open, and then have several ideas/options available just in case.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about the market being a tight fit for a stroller. Maybe we'll just take turns shopping, and standing with the stroller. We are definately doing the Blue Lagoon excursion, and I guess we'll just play the rest of the day by ear. I'm a planner by nature, but I know that this doesn't always work with a child!

Sounds like allot....maybe cut out either atlantis or the straw market and it would be more doable. The straw market is really close to the ship, so hitting it and then food would be easier if it wouldn't crush you to miss atlatis.

I cruised last month with my 3 year old. Different ship, different itinerary. But the best I could do was a morning excursion...we stuck to beach visits. We'd be back at the ship around 1pm and most days she would literally fall asleep in the Lido buffet. For us, it was combined issues of nap time, time zone changes, and something about the cruise ship maybe her sleep very well! It was not uncommon for her to drop around 1pm and I would have to wake her for dinner.

I could have dragged her around, or pushed her in a stroller, but it wouldn't have been good for her, I or anyone around us. So her schedule dictated pretty much what we did on the cruise. And I was prepared for that. Lots of reading and resting for me.

I agree..that is a lot for one day. But if you have a stroller and your child will ride in one..then they can always take naps in the stroller. Just make sure to have plenty of fluids for them and snacks.

We always do a half day excursion then go on the ship to eat lunch and relax and maybe get off to do some shopping.

You may want to check hours of operation for the straw market, we were in Nassau last July and our taxi driver told us that the straw market would close at 6. Since I paid a lot of $$$ for Atlantis Aquaventure tickets, we opted to skip the straw market and shopped a bit in a shopping area adjacent to (but not part of) the Atlantis. It stays open a little later than the straw market, but not much. After a little shopping, we got back to Atlantis 6ish and did a quick tour of the Aquarium. I'm not sure how late the Aquarium is open, it seemed practically deserted and near closing time. You might want to check with Atlantis, it may list hours on their web page.

BTW, we did the Blue Lagoon on an earlier cruise and enjoyed it.

Happy Cruising.

Elsie:cool:

Melainie, perhaps you can leave your son at Camp Carnival for the evening if you are still wanting to got out to eat. Where are you thinking about eating dinner? For a very expensive but very excellent meal, try Dune. Best place on the island. Around Atlantis, some folks like Anthony's, other gripe about the price ($15-$40 entrees). Don't eat in Atlantis, very pverpriced and not that good. For more earthy Bahamian seafood, go over to Awak City's Fish Fry and go to either Seafood Heaven or Twin Brothers for their cracked conch or conch fritters. McKenzies at the base of the exit bridge to Potters Cay has fantastic local seafood (and is also clean). Try the crab rice or rice and pigeon peas. This area is a real gathering place for locals and a lot of vendors are set up under the bridge. And if the local food isn't up to your liking, go to Cafe Matisse, it's Italian but not your local Olive Garden.

What time do you arrive in Nassau? Maybe you can do the straw market before your excursion.

My thoughts exactly! One of my friends couldn't wait to get there...and I think she envisioned an all-day shopping trip. A couple of hours was plenty. ;)

What time do you arrive in Nassau? Maybe you can do the straw market before your excursion.

We are doing the Carnival Pride cruise out of Baltimore, so our ship arrives in Nassau at 11, and our excursion picks us up at 11:30, so no time for shopping ahead of time. You are all probably right, I am trying to do too much, just hate to miss anything on my first trip to Nassau! Oh well, guess that just means I'll have to go back!:)

Crewsweeper, thanks for all of the restaurant tips, I was hoping someone could give me some recommendations. Now, I just hope I get to try one of them....:D

Archived