Time for sailing

Frassy

Is there a certain time of year that is generally cheaper to sail than other times? We are thinking of a cruise next year for dad's 80th birthday in February. I believe that's an expensive time...?? Not sure of our itinerary. They have never cruised so I am sure anything is an option.

You should look at shoulder seasons for the areas you would like to cruise. In Alaska the cheaper cruises are normally May and September. Repositioning cruises can be much less expensive as well as there are fewer ports.

Caribbean cruises in the fall can come down as people begin to lose interest in that area due to hurricanes.

Check out this on CC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=133

Not quite as cheap as fall (Sept and Oct) but great bargains, are the 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. People are really busy preparing for Xmas, so don't want to leave home. And families are going to book when the kids are off for Xmas-New Years. So good values to be had!

If you use Celebrity, if rates DO drop you can get a refund or credits to use on the ship. Many lines don't allow that.

Best way is still the obvious one: go to a cruise Web site (cruise line, ticket broker, whatever) and look at several dates. You may be surprised. Prices can vary as much from ship to ship as from date to date. Relocation cruises can be less, on a cost-per-day basis, but they may be longer and involved more flying, so you may not actually save money. And be sure your saving money doesn't come at the expense of bad weather, etc. I would personally avoid the Caribbean during hurricane season, or the very hottest months, but others would have no problem. We took a Vancouver-Alaska cruise last May, at a low price, and had great weather, but we knew we were risking getting more rain than during later, more expensive months (we actually chose May due to timing of a conference my wife attended).

We took a Vancouver-Alaska cruise last May, at a low price, and had great weather, but we knew we were risking getting more rain than during later, more expensive months (we actually chose May due to timing of a conference my wife attended).

May is actually one of the driest cruising months in Alaska. Hard to imagine sometimes with the fickle Alaska weather. The weather can be cool and if going early in May, some of the services aren't open yet.

Once you book your cruise check the price every day. Prices do fluctuate much like airline prices. You can get the lower price by calling either the cruise line or the TA that did the booking. It's easiest if you book directly with a cruise line. Some travel agents now charge for lowering prices or making any changes to a booking. Always read the fine print.

I agree with early December being a good time.

• 2 weeks later...
Once you book your cruise check the price every day. Prices do fluctuate much like airline prices. You can get the lower price by calling either the cruise line or the TA that did the booking. It's easiest if you book directly with a cruise line. Some travel agents now charge for lowering prices or making any changes to a booking. Always read the fine print.

I agree with early December being a good time.

Thank you for the tips~~much appreciated. :)

Hurricane season technically goes to November 30th, and while there is the very occasional late storm, they are very rare by that time. If, as has been suggested, cruises then are cheap, I wouldn't worry much about a hurricane.

Thinking of the Caribbean, but afraid of the hurricane weather. The 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas DO sound good. Hmmm...

I've done this before on a 7-night Western Caribbean that left on Dec. 8 and returned on Dec. 15. The price was great, and the weather was WONDERFUL!! No problems at all tendering to Grand Cayman. Those first two weeks of December can have some great deals and good weather. Good luck to you!

Archived