Can men wear jeans with a nice shirt on casual nights?

I booked a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas on the Majest of the Seas on 5/7/10 for my boyfriend's birthday and it's a surprise - so trying to figure out if I have to go out and buy pants for him, cause I know that he has jeans and he has a suit but I have never seen him in khakis or anything like that.

Never been on RCL before - looked on the website and didn't see anything about "no jeans" but when I called and asked the gentleman on the phone told me we would not be allowed in the main dining room in jeans.

But of course, reading the other threads, I see people talking about people dressed in jeans, so starting to wonder...

but when I called and asked the gentleman on the phone told me we would not be allowed in the main dining room in jeans.

They also tell you you cant bring water or soda on board if you call them and ask them too but you can read here where many people do it every day :)

I asked about dress codes on the 3 night cruises here a while back and was told it is much more relaxed on a short cruise.

I would think a pair of jeans and a nice shirt would be fine on casual night. You will probably see jeans on "formal" night as well.

I don't generally think jeans are appropriate for the main dining room, but some people do wear them. I don't recall anyone ever posting that they had been turned away for wearing jeans, and as you say, they are not specifically mentioned as being prohibited. So, if he wants to wear jeans, he can get away with it.

I've worn jeans to casual evening as well as on formal night... it's your cruise.. they won't bother you. We've worn flip flops to dinner (men).. it's not a big deal ;) As long as he doesn't walk in with his baithing suit on sporting a beater he'll be fine lol

Thanks so much for the feedback! I called back again after reading the replies and the next customer service rep told me that jeans were fine as long as they weren't ripped...

I totally get that they may not be the optimal choice for casual dinners in the main dining room, but hopefully we'll be able to get away with it! Don't want to ruin the surprise by making him go shopping! :)

but hopefully we'll be able to get away with it!

It's not a matter of getting away with it. Jeans are perfectly acceptable wear in the MDR on RCI ships. The rep that initially told you that you would be turned away was just another example of RCI's clueless customer service. And don't let the CC dress code mafia influence you. They are accepted wear, no if, ands or buts.

I booked a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas on the Majest of the Seas on 5/7/10 for my boyfriend's birthday and it's a surprise - so trying to figure out if I have to go out and buy pants for him, cause I know that he has jeans and he has a suit but I have never seen him in khakis or anything like that.

Never been on RCL before - looked on the website and didn't see anything about "no jeans" but when I called and asked the gentleman on the phone told me we would not be allowed in the main dining room in jeans.

But of course, reading the other threads, I see people talking about people dressed in jeans, so starting to wonder...

I know you asked about jeans, which yes he can wear them, but also make sure you know he has the right identification to get on the ship too. You don't want to surprise him with a great gift to then be surprised that he doesn't have the right identification to get on the ship. He will need a passport or birth certificate and a government issued picture ID. If you aren't sure he has what he needs, might be worth telling him about the surprise now so you have time to get what he needs.:)

But never take them on cruises because

They are too hot

they are too heavy

they take up too much space in the suitcase

I use very lighweight dockers.

But for just a 3 day, if luggage space is not a problem they could work

That's a great surprise!

You'll find that Majesty is a very casual ship in general. We were on the 4-night in December, and there were lots of people who didn't wear ties on formal night, and lots of folks in shorts in the MDR. Jeans will be just fine. Don't forget to try the Compass Deli, which is above the WJ. Great sandwiches!! Have a great time!

But never take them on cruises because

They are too hot

they are too heavy

they take up too much space in the suitcase

I use very lighweight dockers.

I agree with this - I do not feel there is anything wrong with jeans and wear them often. But, on a tropical cruise nothing sounds more uncomfortable to me than a pair of jeans. DH is unhappy to have to put on long pants, but he does ;) , but we do try to find a light fabric.

It's not a matter of getting away with it. Jeans are perfectly acceptable wear in the MDR on RCI ships. The rep that initially told you that you would be turned away was just another example of RCI's clueless customer service. And don't let the CC dress code mafia influence you. They are accepted wear, no if, ands or buts.

Hear Hear well said that man.

I was a little concerned about dress codes prior to my first RCI cruise. I needn't have bothered.

First night in MDR waiter says, "Please come to dinner tomorrow night. It's formal night but please just wear whatever you like. Please don't listen to the talk about formal wear only, you will never be turned away".

Horses mouth

So, on my forthcoming cruise I WILL be taking a lounge suit for formal night and I will NOT be wearing a tie and I WILL NOT feel uncomfortable.

Clearly there IS NO DRESS CODE !........................Thankfully.

My first RCI cruise is still pending so I visited the RCI web site for the dress code requirements. Nothing is listed as "banned".

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000k40HKdd1ox_CPdWUC9fFK2v:13hldcctq

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Hear Hear well said that man.

I was a little concerned about dress codes prior to my first RCI cruise. I needn't have bothered.

First night in MDR waiter says, "Please come to dinner tomorrow night. It's formal night but please just wear whatever you like. Please don't listen to the talk about formal wear only, you will never be turned away".

Horses mouth

So, on my forthcoming cruise I WILL be taking a lounge suit for formal night and I will NOT be wearing a tie and I WILL NOT feel uncomfortable.

Clearly there IS NO DRESS CODE !........................Thankfully.

RCI does have a dress code. Whtether it's enforced is a whole nuther issue. :rolleyes:

BTW - The Head Waiters and Maitre d's decide what's allowed, not the waiters. :)

After a time they get tired of being disciplined for bogus complaints made up by disgruntled passengers attempting to punish them.

They eventually give in and allow nearly any type of attire. I didn't make that up, a HW told me.

After a time they get tired of being disciplined for bogus complaints made up by disgruntled passengers attempting to punish them.

Can you imagine other passengers telling on you like in 1st grade because you are wearing shorts and flip flops in the MDR? haha, people need to get a life.

RCI does have a dress code. Whtether it's enforced is a whole nuther issue. :rolleyes:

BTW - The Head Waiters and Maitre d's decide what's allowed, not the waiters. :)

They eventually give in and allow nearly any type of attire. I didn't make that up, a HW told me.

No I think there is just a recommended attire but lets face it, it's a load of old nonsense.

There is nothing "formal" about a Royal Caribbean cruise whatsoever from what I saw last year.

Let's face it, if there are organised Belly Flop Competitions on board I think to then suggest that same evening is "Formal" is a bit silly.

For Formal see "Cunard".

Can you imagine other passengers telling on you like in 1st grade because you are wearing shorts and flip flops in the MDR? haha, people need to get a life.

Exactly, people need to get a grip. Since when has a pair of Jeans really bothered ANYONE in a restaurant ?

Archived