Mt McKinley??

Momma Mojito

We are going to be in Anchorage two days before our May 15th cruise on the Diamond. and will betaking the the train from Anchorage to Whittier to board the ship. I'm sure we will see some beautiful scenery but before that we would like to take in as much that we have time for. I think we will be renting a car from Wed night until Friday night. How far from Anchorage do you have to travel to be able to view Mt McKinley? Thanks for your suggestions

We are going to be in Anchorage two days before our May 15th cruise on the Diamond. and will betaking the the train from Anchorage to Whittier to board the ship. I'm sure we will see some beautiful scenery but before that we would like to take in as much that we have time for. I think we will be renting a car from Wed night until Friday night. How far from Anchorage do you have to travel to be able to view Mt McKinley? Thanks for your suggestions

I believe that given the right weather conditions you can actually see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage and you can also drive much closer to the mountain and still not get a clear view if the weather doesn't cooperate. Perhaps someone of our native Alaskans can give you a more exact answer but I am under the impression that seeing Mt. McKinley is as much a matter of luck as it is of anthing else. We are hopeful that conditions will be right to provide us with views of the mountain while we are in Talkeetna but have no illusions that any such viewing is guaranteed unless you take a flightseeing excursion.

Depending on whose figures you believe, Denali (the mountain known outside as Mt. McKinley) is only visible 20-30% of the time in the summer - my luck in many dozens of trips has been at the low end of that range. While it's true that she can be seen from Earthquake Park in Anchorage on a clear day, its so small that you'd probably need it pointed out to you. The first good views are are Talkeetna, 112 miles from downtown Anchorage.

Since the tree blight his the Anchorage basin many folks who had assumed that they didn't have a view of Denali, not do. I have seen Denali from the Captain Cook Hotel in downtown Anchorage although, as mentioned, it is relatively small from that distance.

This is a link to the McKinley View Lodge which is about 130 miles north of Anchorage. http://www.mckinleyviewlodge.com/ The view shown is on a rate clear day.

That lodge is old (by Alaska standards) and has been a popular stopping place to catch the view for a very long time. Reading up on the late Mary Carey will really give you insight into Alaska and the life she had when she homesteaded in 1962.

Good luck in your hunt for Denali.

There are many excellent views (in my opinion) from Anchorage. You just have to get where you can see in the right direction and not be blocked by buildings. I don't think it has to be pointed out...on a clear day, it's obvious that it is much larger than all the rest of the mountains.

If you drive north of Wasilla, there are several views from the road before you get to Willow. On a clear day, you round a corner and wham!...there it is, looming above all else. At about Mile 66 of the Parks Highway, look to the right down the railroad tracks. If it's clear and you see a mountain, that's McKinley.

Denali can be uneventful from Anchorage if you’ve seen it from a closer perspective. If you don’t want to drive up to Talkeetna which is the first decent view as Yukon mentioned, you can drive up to Glen Alps above Anchorage and get a spectacular view of Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, Cook Inlet and Sleeping Lady. On clear days you will be able to see Denali and Foraker but they are quite a ways away. It’s about a 25 minute drive from downtown.

Well if it wasn't in the clouds today, you'd see it!

webcam.jpg

Note that the webcam has a massive zoom on it. It may be the highest mountain on the northern horizon but that makes it 1/4 of an inch high visually rather than 1/8 of an inch like the rest of them. When I used to take groups to Earthquake Park, some people never were able to pick it out regardless of how I described where it was.

And here's what I'm seeing out of my office window!

Thing is if you pull these these posts later, the webcams sometimes update themselves through the link and you might think my comments are crazy :D

dtnse.jpg

Susan in Anchorage :)

Well if you go back up to Posting #8 (even though it's zoomed and really isn't that close) the webcam shot has changed and McKinley's out and really can see it now from Posting #9 at Talkeetna.

I'm so glad I asked this queston......Thanks for all the photos...Since we have never done an Aaskian cruise and only booked this one a month ago I will have a lot more to ask of all of you. We will be coming to Anchorage on the 12th of May and cruising on the 15th, any of your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. JoAnn

I'm so glad I asked this queston......Thanks for all the photos...Since we have never done an Aaskian cruise and only booked this one a month ago I will have a lot more to ask of all of you. We will be coming to Anchorage on the 12th of May and cruising on the 15th, any of your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. JoAnn

Need a little more info to help. Do you like to hike, bike, see cultural things?

Susan,

Hate to say it ,but haven't biked in years, and as much as I would like to try it again someday I'll do that at home . Enjoy walking and taking in the sights. We really would like to see as much as Anchorage and the surrounding area that we can in two days. What would be your #1 that we would have to see or do. Thanks

We are staying at the Shipcreek Comfort Inn, so just in case we don't rent a car what can we do from there? Thanks again for all your great info that you have provided for all of us!!!

As only a suggestion, you may not wish to spend all this time in Anchorage. I do like Anchorage VERY much, but it is a "city" and there is so much more to Alaska. Alternative- you could spend your time in Seward, with is a gem and loaded with activities- significant choice IF you want wildlife viewing- in the wild.

Susan,

Hate to say it ,but haven't biked in years, and as much as I would like to try it again someday I'll do that at home . Enjoy walking and taking in the sights. We really would like to see as much as Anchorage and the surrounding area that we can in two days. What would be your #1 that we would have to see or do. Thanks

We are staying at the Shipcreek Comfort Inn, so just in case we don't rent a car what can we do from there? Thanks again for all your great info that you have provided for all of us!!!

If you don't rent a car and from where you're staying you'll basically have to do things downtown or catch a shuttle somewhere.

Oh and by the way if anyone hasn't mentioned it the Ship Creek Comfort Inn is at the bottom of a pretty good sized hill from downtown. It's not really steep but it's a bit of a walk.

Coming in mid May the King Salmon may be running (there is a fish hatchery on Elmendorf Air Force Base where they were born so that's where they return) in Ship Creek. So there's an old power plant there that has a small man made (sort of like a) waterfall that they have to jump up to get up stream. It's something to see them try and go over.

You can walk right next door to the Ulu Factory and catch a free shuttle http://www.alaskanative.net/data/ALASKANATIVE/files/file/Shuttle_Schedule_2010.pdf

to the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/

Now for downtown. Once you make it up the hill :D then you have the Museum http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/, take a walk along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails/ats/anc/knowlsct.htm Who knows the Belugas may be at the head of Ship Creek partaking of those king salmon.

If you decided to rent a car you could go south on the Seward Highway and visit the Alyeska Resort and take a tram ride http://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort/about-aerial-tram.aspx Go a bit further and visit the Big Game Alaska Wildlife Conservation Area http://www.farthernorth.com/biggamealaska/ and Portage Glacier. Visitor Center isn't open for the summer yet full time but if most of the snow is gone there is an easy trail to Byron Glacier Trail http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=111004&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003714&navid=110160000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&recid=6606&actid=50&ttype=recarea&pname=Chugach%20National%20Forest%20-%20Byron%20Glacier%20Trail

Also all kinds of pull offs for picture taking, Beluga Point, Bird Point, around Windy Corner the mountain sheep may be out.

Then of course we have shopping :D and lots of great local restaurants.

Then of course we have shopping :D and lots of great local restaurants.

Please share some recommendations for dining in Anchorage.

Loved the pictures of Mt. McKinley. I'm planning on renting a car and driving to Talkeetna for a day trip for better viewing hopefully and some flightseeing.

Thanks.

Loved the pictures of Mt. McKinley. I'm planning on renting a car and driving to Talkeetna for a day trip for better viewing hopefully and some flightseeing.

Thanks.

Ones downtown that I like are Orso's, Glacier Brewhouse, Simon & Seafort's, Humpy's, and Club Paris.

Since you'll have a car then you can hit midtown - Moose's Tooth & Bear's Tooth (though these places are very popular and don't take reservations so a late lunch or early dinner works), Pizza Plaza, Sorrento's, Guido's (my favorite pizza place in town), Arctic Roadrunner (love their hamburgers), LaMex (been going there since the mid 70s), Gwennie's and Bombay Deluxe. Or even a little further in South Anchorage there is a new place (been open for almost a year) called Firetap Alehouse.

Well that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Can you tell I like to eat out :D

Thanks.

To Susan's list I would add Pi's (have your tried it yet, Susan?). It's midtown, in the Embassy Suites. We've eaten there for lunch once, to try it, and both of us enjoyed the food. You can join restaurant dot com and always get $25 gift certificates for $10, but best to wait for a special (they'll email you to let you know) and get the gift certificates for less (as in yesterday, $25 cert. for $2--darn, why didn't I get one yesterday?).

To Susan's list I would add Pi's (have your tried it yet, Susan?). It's midtown, in the Embassy Suites. We've eaten there for lunch once, to try it, and both of us enjoyed the food. You can join restaurant dot com and always get $25 gift certificates for $10, but best to wait for a special (they'll email you to let you know) and get the gift certificates for less (as in yesterday, $25 cert. for $2--darn, why didn't I get one yesterday?).

Haven't tried Pi yet. Though I do know about restaurant dot com through my sister. Last I looked we were still a little limited here in Anchorage, a whole 3 restaurants participating. She gets much more choice in the St. Louis area. Need to go through my Northern Lights book again and see if any of the restaurant coupons are ending before tourist season.

• 1 month later...
We are also planning to drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna. How far is the drive? Are there any interesting stops along the way? Thanks.

Two hours. head to your library and see if you can get a copy of THE MILEPOST.

Plenty to see and do along the way.

Archived