Solstice Select Dining 2-tops Experience

mathgeek1978

We have always had traditional dining but want a change this time and make our nightly dinner our personal "date" time. I have 2 questions:

1. Are there plenty of tables for 2 so that there will not be long waits?

2. I have heard that the 2-tops are just inches apart. I hope that this is an exaggeration. How far apart are the tables? Do you have any privacy?

Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

They are fairly close together....dinner is supposed to be a "social" time....you'll have the entire day to "date" and be up-close and personal!

If you ignore your table neighbors, you'll be private enough!

I disagree---I socialize all day and prefer that my mealtimes on a cruise be private.I particularly prefer to share my wine only with my wife . When I'm with others my pricey choices get expensive when shared . On a previous cruise four of my tablemates drank almost all of a wine I had ordered.The steward was only too happy to pour for them.

I disagree---I socialize all day and prefer that my mealtimes on a cruise be private.I particularly prefer to share my wine only with my wife . When I'm with others my pricey choices get expensive when shared . On a previous cruise four of my tablemates drank almost all of a wine I had ordered.The steward was only too happy to pour for them.

Yikes! Hope they offered to return the favor...:eek:

Although my experience wasn't on the Solstice (yet), during my last cruise on the QM2, DH and I had a table for two and it was very close the another table for two (literally just a crack away from each other) however, because the preception is that it's a private table for two, it's not as uncomfortable as one would think. We would say hello and good night to our "neighbours" but that was about it (there was one evening of small talk... where are you from, are you enjoying your cruise, etc). Also, remember that the other table also wanted private dinners so I doubt anyone would be too chatty... if they wanted to be chatty, I would suspect that they would have requested a larger table.

I hope that helps.

We have sailed many times on cruises where others at our table ordered wine. We usually do not and I would not expect others to share their wine with me. At most large tables, there are usually four couples at the table and I have rarely seen anyone offer wine to the other couples. Not a consideration for table size in my opinion.

We have always had traditional dining but want a change this time and make our nightly dinner our personal "date" time. I have 2 questions:

1. Are there plenty of tables for 2 so that there will not be long waits?

2. I have heard that the 2-tops are just inches apart. I hope that this is an exaggeration. How far apart are the tables? Do you have any privacy?

Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

We just returned from the Equinox and would assume that it's the same setup for Select Dining on Solstice. There were plenty of 2-tops and they are extremely close together. We felt very rushed through dinner which was just as well since it was so crowded and noisy.

The two tops are no more than 12 in apart in many cases. We had one that was next to only one two top. We always were at the table before our neighbors and pulled our table another 10 in away before they arrived. At times we visited with them. At other times kept to ourselves. But yes, it's not too different than sitting at a four top.

Actually if you go at off peak times, like early or late, you can ask for a 4 top with no one joining you. It's then up to the maitre d to decide if they can afford those empty chairs at that time. 7-8:00 is busy.

We just returned from the Equinox and would assume that it's the same setup for Select Dining on Solstice. There were plenty of 2-tops and they are extremely close together. We felt very rushed through dinner which was just as well since it was so crowded and noisy.

We felt rushed on the Century also. We loved the Select Dining. We had to tell the waiter each night that we would like to take our time to eat dinner. They all complied but...

Math geek:

I agree with other posters that there's not much privacy at most "tables for two" on the Solstice. We were on the Solstice a few months ago and opted for traditional main seating. We did NOT ask for a two-top but were assigned to one anyway. It was by a window so we decided to stay there. The people at the 2-top next to us said they did not request it either, so the four of us had congenial conversation each night as though we were a table for 4. My only issue was that, since they were separate tables, the waiter walked in the 12 to 15 inch space between them to serve, and sometimes his "backside" was jutting out over our table as he poured their coffee. After a few nights of this, we got smart and moved the tables closer to each other at the beginning of dinner each evening for the remainder of the cruise.

If you are looking for privacy, you may get lucky and find an isolated table for two, but most of the 2-tops I saw were lined up next to other tables with very little privacy. If you are not opposed to same time/same waiter format, why not choose traditional dining and request a table for two, then check out your table assignment when you first board the ship. If you find it's not private enough, I think you can change your choice to Select dining at that time.

Have a great cruise!

PS to Mathgeek, I'm a former math teacher (therefore innate geek and geek admirer as well)

Archived