bed configuration

2girlsnlovefl

so i have a challenge i hope one of you has a solution!! i just got off the phone with our travel agent because on our booking info on the princess web site i noticed it had our beds in a twin configuration and i wanted it changed. so my agent called and he said it had to be twin because my son is going and he is sleeping in the bed that comes out from the wall so for safety reasons they will not put the two main beds together!:mad: do any of you know if we can put them together?? we have cruised with our son before and never had this problem, they have always put the two main beds together.

Yes, you can accomplish this onboard. You will not be able to get it to read this way in the Personalizer, as it is considered a safety issue, but as your own experience knows, you just ask the steward to move the lowers where you want them and it all works. :)

As long as the beds can be moved, the room steward will usually do it. There are a few cabins on some ships that have permanent twins though that can not be moved into a queen configuration, either because they are fixed to the wall or they make the stateroom almost impossible to walk through when made into a queen. But there are not many of these.

The ladder to the bunk is usually in the space between the twin beds when they are not together.
Also consider where the steward must stand in order to make the upper berth. Safety aside, do you want him/her standing on your bed? You may not have an option - but see what the steward is willing to put up with. it might be worth an extra tip at the end of the cruise.

We had a room like that for the two of us and even with the beds folded up in the wall (not into the ceiling as in some cabins) we had a lot of issues with traversing the aisles on the sides.

We had a room like that for the two of us and even with the beds folded up in the wall (not into the ceiling as in some cabins) we had a lot of issues with traversing the aisles on the sides.

I agree--I came really close to requesting that the beds be separated.

I love big spacious beds, but I am wondering if I will be better keeping a twin configuration (on Golden Princess Emerald Deck). Won't it seem like more room if there is a space between the beds in front of the window? I know it is personal preference but I am new to all this and wonder what to do....

I love big spacious beds, but I am wondering if I will be better keeping a twin configuration (on Golden Princess Emerald Deck). Won't it seem like more room if there is a space between the beds in front of the window? I know it is personal preference but I am new to all this and wonder what to do....

You can always have it changed if you don't like the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to princess and quite concerned after ready these post. Is the third person bed a bunk? We sailed with our daughter 2 years ago on HAL and we had the queen bed and she slept on a couch that flipped to a bed. It was an easy configuration. I am concerned as she is only 4 and if I am understanding this my husband and I will have to sleep in twin beds, one of us being on the top for 12 nights.

I am new to princess and quite concerned after ready these post. Is the third person bed a bunk? We sailed with our daughter 2 years ago on HAL and we had the queen bed and she slept on a couch that flipped to a bed. It was an easy configuration. I am concerned as she is only 4 and if I am understanding this my husband and I will have to sleep in twin beds, one of us being on the top for 12 nights.

It depends on what type of stateroom you have booked. If you have a mini suite, then there will be a sofa bed. But if you booked any category below that, balcony, outside or inside, then the third person sleeps in an upper bunk. Staterooms under the mini suite category on all of the larger ships (the smaller ships such as the Ocean, Pacific and Royal do have a love seat in most staterooms so they have a totally different layout) do not have any type of sitting area or sofa in the staterooms, they are more or less just a bedroom without any type of sitting area whatsoever. Two twins that convert to a queen, and some offer one or two upper berths that are pull down bunks either from the ceiling or the side wall.

There is very little floor space in a balcony cabin. To put in a roll away (which those here on CC that have strongly suggested not to do) it blocks the balcony door and it will be almost impossible to go out on your balcony without stepping on the roll away to get out, it will fit but makes the room wall to wall beds in the evening. The crib would be in the same position, as it is the only spare floor space in the cabin, next to the balcony door.

If you think you want a roll away though, I would jump on this as they have a very limited supply of them and once they are spoken for, there are no more. They are usually used in stateooms for two without the upper bunks but when the cruise line has booked three in a double cabin. But you can check, it never hurts to ask. Just be prepared, as it will make things VERY tight in that stateroom.

interesting that you can ask the steward to move the beds together. When we asked in November while we were on the Emerald in an aft balconey he told us no way. That is about the only flaw that bothers us on princess :(. If we want to sleep together on princess we have to go up to a minisuite...not always possible.

As for being worried about having the child up in the bunk out daughter is only 5 and she did fine, one side is the wall, the other side has a railing. I was more worried about her climbing up and down the ladder as it kept pulling away from its spot.

There is very little floor space in a balcony cabin. To put in a roll away (which those here on CC that have strongly suggested not to do) it blocks the balcony door and it will be almost impossible to go out on your balcony without stepping on the roll away to get out, it will fit but makes the room wall to wall beds in the evening. The crib would be in the same position, as it is the only spare floor space in the cabin, next to the balcony door.

If you think you want a roll away though, I would jump on this as they have a very limited supply of them and once they are spoken for, there are no more. They are usually used in stateooms for two without the upper bunks but when the cruise line has booked three in a double cabin. But you can check, it never hurts to ask. Just be prepared, as it will make things VERY tight in that stateroom.

Can you request a roll away for a mini suite to enable 4 persons if the brochure states that the cabin is for 3 persons (e.g. Sun Princess that doesn't have any suites for 4 people, only 10 extremely small quad balcony cabins)?

Can you request a roll away for a mini suite to enable 4 persons if the brochure states that the cabin is for 3 persons (e.g. Sun Princess that doesn't have any suites for 4 people, only 10 extremely small quad balcony cabins)?

If the mini suite is for three (which I think is all that is available on this class of ship in minis) it only supplies a sofa bed for the third (which is the configuration on the Sun class for this category), there is absolutely NO ROOM for a roll away in the mini suite with the sofa bed pulled out. I mean, no floor space at all for a roll away, impossible.

We have sailed many times in both AB and AC minis on the Sun, Dawn and Sea princess, and I don't think they will even allow you to book a forth person in a mini suite on this class of ship. You can call and check just in case they have changed the rules since it went down to Australia, but I am pretty sure that I am correct on that one.

And just an FYI-The quad balcony cabins on this class of ship are horrible. More like a long closet with 4 fixed bunk beds against the two walls, two on each wall. If you do a search, I know that there are pictures posted of it here on CC by some that actually booked this type of quad stateroom, and really regreted it. I will see if I can locate them for you so you can see for yourself. Really cramped, no storage, and very very small. Check back, if I can locate them, I will post the link to them here.

villauk,

That wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Here is a link to Hulagirls pictures of the quad balcony cabins on the Sun Class ships, so you can see for yourself.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/554476935BFthsx?vhost=travel&vhost=travel&vhost=travel

And a link to many of the discussions about these balcony quads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=988768&highlight=dawn+quad+balcony

If the mini suite is for three (which I think is all that is available on this class of ship in minis) it only supplies a sofa bed for the third (which is the configuration on the Sun class for this category), there is absolutely NO ROOM for a roll away in the mini suite with the sofa bed pulled out. I mean, no floor space at all for a roll away, impossible.

We have sailed many times in both AB and AC minis on the Sun, Dawn and Sea princess, and I don't think they will even allow you to book a forth person in a mini suite on this class of ship. You can call and check just in case they have changed the rules since it went down to Australia, but I am pretty sure that I am correct on that one.

And just an FYI-The quad balcony cabins on this class of ship are horrible. More like a long closet with 4 fixed bunk beds against the two walls, two on each wall. If you do a search, I know that there are pictures posted of it here on CC by some that actually booked this type of quad stateroom, and really regreted it. I will see if I can locate them for you so you can see for yourself. Really cramped, no storage, and very very small. Check back, if I can locate them, I will post the link to them here.

Thank you so much. It appears that the only solution for us would be to book 2 rooms? This would be great for the extra room, but not for the cost or having to let one son sleep with my husband and the other son with me?????

Thank you so much. It appears that the only solution for us would be to book 2 rooms? This would be great for the extra room, but not for the cost or having to let one son sleep with my husband and the other son with me?????

Well, even if you decided to book a quad balcony cabin, you would not be sleeping together anyway, as they supply only 4 twin bunks that can not be pushed together.

But I agree, two side by side cabins or across the call cabins (maybe a balcony with an inside across the hall) would be a much better set up. With what they charge for the minis on this ship, you might be surprised that a balcony cabin for two, and an inside stateroom for two, might be pretty close to the price that you would have been paying for that mini suite for four. (if they even allow 4 in a mini on this ship).

I am concerned as she is only 4 and if I am understanding this my husband and I will have to sleep in twin beds, one of us being on the top for 12 nights.

I read elsewhere an idea about using the closet floor. Some four year olds would love the idea of sleeping in a den/cave, what an adventure. Extra blankets on the floor and you are all set. Stuff your suitcases and shoes under the beds and free up the space.

Thanks for helping to better understand the bed arrangement for our upcoming cruise. We were able to change to a mini... thanks grndpa

Now can someone explain why and how the balconies on Dolphin are open for others to see?

Archived