Why call the ship a boat?

mississauga

Tomato/ Tomato

Potato/ Potato

Hmmm, that doesn't come across the same in text as it does out loud. :p

I think it's a regional thing. Up north they call soda "pop". Down here, it's all Coke, and up north they call those things at the grocery store shopping carts, we call them buggies.

I have often wondered if there was a definition by length....

like boat over 50 foot is considered a yacht. (sailing or motorized)

Perhaps there is a length distinction between yacht and ship?????

Chapmans (a nautical authority) typically sets the distinction between boat and ship at 65 feet, but again it can be dependent upon the "a ship can carry a boat, but not vise-versa". Note that all submarines are "boats" - even if they carry a boat such as a small submersible - it's simply tradition.

Lately most of the reviews I have read, the OP refers to the ship they are reviewing as a boat. :confused: Most of the reviewers are in their 20's and 30's and are writing fabulous reviews but keep using the word boat.

Is it just me? Does it bother anyone else that these huge gigantic ships are considered boats by these young folks?

Is this the new word for a ship? Am I just old fashion and behind the times?:eek:

Having said that, I really appreciate all their efforts and the time they spend writing the reviews and I have really enjoyed them all.:D:D:D

In the grand scheme of things, who really gives a rats a$$, I am not young, but if it floats - ship or boat... Sounds like too much time on your hands.

md[/left]10074;23824351]I call it a ship, but on my honeymoon I did go on the Big Red "Boat". I don't care what they call it, as long as I'm there on it.

It was a toss up between this quote, the one about the "love boat" and the last post that said "who gives a rat's"

Seriously, let he who speaks proper English cast the first stone. How would you like someone to follow you around for a day and correct all your grammatical errors!

Calling it a boat isn't an insult to the vessel. It's actually kind of a term of endearment. When you call your wife/gf, "Baby," you're not insulting them. Don't be offended by someone calling the ship something different. It's all in good fun. On the Conquest, I heard it all the time said in good fun, "I'm on a boat." I sometimes call it an ark!:D

Lately most of the reviews I have read, the OP refers to the ship they are reviewing as a boat. :confused: Most of the reviewers are in their 20's and 30's and are writing fabulous reviews but keep using the word boat.

Is it just me? Does it bother anyone else that these huge gigantic ships are considered boats by these young folks?

Is this the new word for a ship? Am I just old fashion and behind the times?:eek:

Having said that, I really appreciate all their efforts and the time they spend writing the reviews and I have really enjoyed them all.:D:D:D

In reading your question I decided to turn to some experts on this subject.

that would be the "Hues Corporation". for all of you youngsters out there this is not a business, but a musical group. In the mid 70's they had a song called don't rock the boat.

parts of the lyrics are..

to rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby

rock the boat, don't tip the boat over

rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby

rock the boat-t-t-t-t

Ever since our voyage of love began

your touch has thrilled me like the rush of the wind

and your arms have held me safe from a rolling sea

there's always been a quiet place to harbor you and me

Our love is like a ship on the ocean

we've been sailing with a cargo full of, love and devotion.

In reading these lyrics it is clear they are on the ocean with cargo. They call it both a boat and a ship, so If the Hues Corporation uses both terms it is quite acceptable for anyone to use either word and still be correct.

The Historic Ships Committee have designated a vessel below 40 tons and 40 ft in length as a boat. However, submarines and fishing vessels are always known as boats whatever their size.

Also an extract from Regina v Goodwin 2005

The statutory definition of a “ship” for the purposes of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 is provided in s.313(1):- “ship includes every description of vessel used in navigation”. In Goodwin the court treated this as a two-part test. For these purposes a “ship” has to be (i) a vessel, and (ii) used in navigation.

“…every description of vessel…”

On the question of what constitutes a vessel, the Court considered Steadman v Scofield [1992] 2 Lloyds Rep 163, a decision of Sheen J. in the Queen’s Bench Division Admiralty Court. The facts were that the defendants were engaged in waterskiing with a speedboat off Brighton Pier when they were in collision with the plaintiff, riding a Kawaski Jet Ski.(3) The plaintiff claimed in negligence within three years. The defendants argued that the claim became statute barred at the expiry of two years from the date of the injury by reason of the Maritime Conventions Act, 1911, s.8 which provides:-

No action shall be maintainable to enforce any claim . . . against a vessel or her owners in respect of any damage or loss to another vessel . . . or damages for . . . personal injuries suffered by any person on board her caused by the fault of the former vessel . . . unless proceedings therein are commenced within two years from the date when the . . . injury was caused . . .

The relevant definitions were in the Merchant Shipping Act, 1894, s.742 of which defined a "vessel" as including any ship or boat or any other description of vessel used in navigation; and further defined a "ship" as “including every description of vessel used in navigation not propelled by oars”. If the plaintiff’s Jet Ski was a “vessel used in navigation”, then since it was not propelled by oars, it followed it was a “ship”.

Clear as mud yeh:rolleyes:

If a man can stand in the middle of the deck and pee over the side it's a boat, if the pee lands on the deck it's a ship.

That, or the man needs his prostate checked.

If a man can stand in the middle of the deck and pee over the side it's a boat, if the pee lands on the deck it's a ship.

That, or the man needs his prostate checked.

How does that work with a submarine? A submarine is a boat

The "Love Ship" just doesn't have a very nice ring to it. :o

Love Vessel

Love, exciting and new

Come aboard, we're expecting you

Love, life's sweetest reward

Let it flow, it floats back to you

Love Vessel soon will be making another run

The Love Vessel promises something for everyone

Set a course for adventure

Your mind on a new romance

And love won't hurt anymore

It's an open smile on a friendly shore

It's love

Welcome aboard

It's love!

The name "Love Vessel" probably would not have made it past the censors! Set a course for adventure - and bring protection...

It really doesn't make much difference to me... boat... ship...

I know... you can put a boat in a ship but you can't put a ship in a boat, etc but I've heard cruise directors refer to the vessel as a boat, too...

Regardless of what they're called they do the same thing... they take you away... they give you a chance, even if only for a few days, to shun responsibility and be a kid again...

:)

Webster's says...

Main Entry:
1boat

Pronunciation: \ˈbōt\

Function:
noun

Etymology: Middle English
boot,
from Old English
bāt;
akin to Old Norse
beit
boat

Date: before 12th century

1 a
:
a small vessel for travel on water
b
:

:
a boat-shaped container, utensil, or device <a gravy boat> <a laboratory boat>

boat·ful
\-ˌfu̇l\
noun

boat·like
\-ˌlīk\
adjective

in the same boat
:
in the same situation or predicament

And...

Main Entry:
1ship

Pronunciation: \ˈship\

Function:
noun

Usage:
often attributive

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English
scip;
akin to Old High German
skif
ship

Date: before 12th century

1 a
:
a large seagoing vessel
b
:
a sailing vessel having a bowsprit and usually three masts each composed of a lower mast, a topmast, and a topgallant mast

:
;
especially
:
one propelled by
or sail

:
a ship's crew

:
3 <when their ship comes in they'll be able to live in better style>

:

Which, in my mind, makes the two words pretty interchangeable.

I am in my mid 20's and certainly call them ships. They don't call them cruise boats right? The ships is what you sleep on and a boat is the tender you take into port. But then again I grew up in a fishing town, so it was a big deal as to what was considered a ship, boat, dorry, dingy, dow, skow, etc.

I have a HUSBAND, and we're still married no matter what name I call him. Trust me, I've called him plenty of names over the years!:eek:

And, yes - he still floats my boat. ;)

Seriously, most of you who are on here have screen names other than your own name. Does it make you anything different? You're still who you are. So whether you call it a ship, a boat, a vessel or a floating vacation palace, you're still on a cruise so who cares! :D

- Sharon -

I remember back many years when I was new to cruising and referred to the ship/vessel as a boat and was corrected by someone who told me it was a ship...... and boats are what hang off the side of it....:eek:

Just adding more dimension to the debate;)

Archived