Beauty on a Budget, let's Share Tips.

TnMama

So I am a Make-up Maven. I have worked in the cosmetic industry for several of the department store lines for over 10 years and I collect the stuff like you wouldn't believe.

Several of the drug-store brands of cosmetics are actually owned by the big named brands such as Estee Lauder and Lancome. Lancome owns Loreal and you will find that a lot of their products are very similar. Same goes for all the Estee Lauder companies.

So if you see a trendy color but don't want to spend $50 on eyeshadow, go look at your local grocery store and you can find it there for about a third of the price. Skin care runs along the same line, however I do believe that the department store brands can/do work better. They just have better ingredients.

On a side note... You would be hard pressed to find any cosmetic line that tests on animals anymore UNLESS required to by the FDA. People should also be aware that most individual ingredients approved by the FDA have at one time been tested on animals.

On yet another note:

My DH and I bought Samsonite luggage at Ross. Two large, two carry-ons and two hanging garment bags all for $25. Not top of the line but I think Samsonite is still a respected name. Plus they have lasted us on more trips then I can remember with very little wear.

I also check David's Bridal for formal wear. You can sometimes find great sales on discontinued dresses. Some as low as $20 and they carry all different sizes. Hit and miss but always worth a quick check if you have one near you.

Justakitten,

I knew Lancome & Loreal were owned by the same company, but never knew about Estee Lauder ~ what drug store companies are owned by Estee Lauder?

Thanks for the info.

Google is an amazing tool ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Est%C3%A9e_Lauder_Companies

American Beauty

Aramis

Aveda

Bobbi Brown

Bumble and Bumble

Clinique

Daisy Fuentes

Darphin

Donald Trump The Fragrance (discontinued)

Donna Karan

Estée Lauder

Flirt!

Good Skin

Grassroots

Jo Malone

Kate Spade (divested)

Kiton

Lab Series

La Mer

MAC Cosmetics

Michael Kors

Missoni

Ojon

Origins

Prescriptives (discontinued as of January 31, 2010)

Sean John Fragrances

Stila (sold)

Tommy Hilfiger

Tom Ford Beauty

Similar budget tip: Give birth to two daughters. Make sure that you all three wear the same shoe size. Saves $$$$. Anyway, it works in my house! My high school daughter's been to umpteen dances and formals -- all in my fancy heels!

My Mom gave birth to two daughters. One is 5'7 1/2 and 200lbs and wears an 11 shoe. the other is 5'10, 140 and wears and 8 1/2. Plus Mom is 5'6 and wears a 9,and Im not mean enough to post her weight on here.;) So that would eb a NO go at our house,even when i was a slimmer teen. Ive worn that 11 since the 10th grade!

Archived