Beauty on a Budget, let's Share Tips.

TnMama

I do agree about the coat statement,Simplelife! I have a Carhartt I paid 100 bucks for 4 winters ago,and since its only worn a few months down here, it still is not "broke in". But I love it,and down here, that IS the style.:p But for my boys with coats,I hit Walmart or Thrift stores. This year i got Moneky a 3.00 HEAVY coat that he wore this winter,and I got it big enough to hopefully wear next as well. Then it will be handme downed to a friend. but for me and DH,yes "good" durable coats are the way to go.

Happy, I really had not thought about the dryer fading clothes. Im still learning this whole 'grown up" thing. lol. Dont know If I said it on here or not,but Im only 28. knock knock knocking on 30's door!:eek:

You cant see my line from the street either, unless your standing in my neighbors driveway and look just the right way. We did that on purpose, just incase someone gasped at it. Its had the opposite effect though. One of my neighbors is building theirs right now.

I too dont have as much stuff from me and Dh to send to good will.Ive been a SAHM for 4 years now,so I dont have too many "nicer" things. Jeans however I wear till they are holey,and Ive had the same pair of black boots I spent 50 bucks on for 6 years now. I used to pass my clothes along to my BFF,but not to sound mean,shes gained some weight,and cant fit into mine anymore.Looking at my FB pics from this winter,I seem to have on the same purple shirt in all my pics. I love it,and its comfy,and I like purple.

Yall have a great weekend. We're down at my inlaws and plan to hunt eggs tomorrow. I'll be wearing a handme down dress my MIL gave me.;)

I'm a huge proponent of cost per wear and buying quality that lasts. I still own and wear LLBean duck boots from high school, as well as a black watch plaid wool duffel coat from Ralph Lauren. And this June is my 20th high school reunion:p

I'll buy $5 tshirts from Walmart (I like their tanks for the gym, actually) and because white t-shirts simply don't last for me - I'm too messy. So I'm not going to spend $60 for one from Talbots or $100 for James Perse when it'll be in the garden pile just as quickly as the $5 Merona from Target.

I buy stuff from Goodwill, but ours aren't very good anymore, it seems. Costs have gone up and I rarely find the "good stuff" there. There's one decent consignment store about 25 miles away I try to visit every so often......

My refillable bottles were an expensive purchase, but will last a lifetime and don't leak. I've found the cheaper versions to leak, stain and become gummy with only a few uses. Mine can go into the dishwasher if needed. http://pitotubes.com/

You and I are so in sync sometimes it scares me!

I LOVE the Pito tubes! I met the creators of them a few years ago, and they gave me a couple of them. I got so hooked I went out and bought more!

My biggest bargain tip:

Don't buy something because it's the right price. Buy something because it's the right item!

I love a bargain as much as anyone, but I've seen so many people who wear something only once because they don't love it, and it hangs in the closet until it's given away years later. "But it was so cheap" they say. Well, something you only wear a couple of times is expensive.

I'm not suggesting that people go into debt to buy designer items, but I was taught at an early age, "buy quality, not quantity".

I think this is even more important with shoes, where discomfort and/or ruined feet can be the outcome of buying cheap, poorly made shoes.

I spend a lot on my handbags, (I won't even say how much, because some here would faint :eek:) but I don't regret it for a second. And I probably own less handbags than most here. Also, when I did tire of a bag, I was able to resell on Ebay for 2/3 of what I paid. Now THAT's a bargain! :D

I do wait for sales for trendy items. I know they'll be "out" in a couple of seasons, so it's not in my budget to pay full price for them.

I'm a fumehead.....a fragrance aficionado.....a perfume addict....whatever you want to call it, and I buy plenty. However, if there's a fragrance that I like, but know I won't wear it too often, I'll try and get a free tester of it. (this works expecially well when i'm buying another fragrance and then ask for samples of one i'm not buying that day)

Shop globally. If you travel to foreign countries, look at items you want and see if they're less money in a place you'll be going to. Some years back I wanted espadrilles for the summer and was going to Spain in April. I made it my business to look there for them. In Cadiz, I found the same espadrilles for $10. that were $60, in the US (and $25. in Barcelona). Before a baltic cruise I priced fur hats here and everything I liked was over $500. In Finland I got a gorgeous one for $100.

I have a friend who goes to India twice a year, so I show her some of the blouses and scarves I like and then give her my budget. She always comes back with great stuff for me at a fraction of what we'd pay here in the US.

I go to Paris about 3 times a year. While there I buy:

Petite Bateau tee shirts - $12. there, $45. here

Emla Creme (numbs my toes during pedicure) - $6. there, $ 45. here.

DH prescription eyedrops - $15. there, $45. here. I buy 50 bottles per visit.

Jane110, I don't even want to pretend I could be as fashionable as you. If I came to NYC I'd probably feel like a country bumpkin :p

But I do agree with you to buy quality over quantity. I have an advantage that I get discounts on my travel accessories, such as Pitotubes. And I adore a bargain. I have found that some quality clothing lines that are priced a bit higher just don't sell well in our mall stores. I have the advantage of working at the mall so I am able to wait it out and see if the price comes down, sometimes I'm lucky. A lot of people don't live close to shopping, or make it to the malls often. (The last place I want to be at on my day off is the mall :rolleyes:)

I have just gotten weary of throwing out clothing, costume jewelry, shoes, makeup etc... over the years because it just wasn't good quality and ended up being no bargain at all.

Good Morning All,

Jane, I agree about Trendy clothes on sale. Me with purses, I carry the trendy ones, and get tired of the same ole ones all the time {no offence} So I dont spend alot so I dont feel guilty about changing them twice a year. For my cruise I was looking for an across the body typle satchel and a new cutesy purse for spring and summer. I hit a local "girly" store.I got both purses I was looking for for 40.00.So both very good quality and just what I was looking for. So sometimes the "off the beaten path" kind of places will have what youre looking for. also, at the same store I did buy some cutesy earrings that dangle. But they were only .99 cents and Ive worn them alot already!

My complaint right now over quality is my luggage!!! My parents bought me a set when I turned 25, 3 1/2 years ago. I think it came from Walmart,its AMerican Touristour or something like that. But at the time I thought it was AWESOME. an entire set of luggage on turning 25. They know how much I like to travel. But now, its wearing out on me. My big suitcase has a slight tear in it that Ive duck taped on the inside. My small rolling suitcase that I use the most. {we mainly do weekend trips and DH and my stuff fits well} the plastic inside things are coming out. So for that I totally agree with Quality over Quantity. Im not lucky enough to work at a luggage store ;). But I think for my 30th Im going to buy me a very good set of luggage. What Ive got now will last me that long, I hope.

Ive still got till NEXT sept, so If I need to start saving NOW, {well,after July} I will. Can you reccomend some good ones that will last more than 4 years?

I work part time in a luggage store and can tell you what the better brands are, ones that will definitely last more than 4 years with no tears. Some have lifetime warranties, some we have people bringing in for minor repair after 10-15-20 years of constant use.

None cheap, all good value.

I work part time in a luggage store and can tell you what the better brands are, ones that will definitely last more than 4 years with no tears. Some have lifetime warranties, some we have people bringing in for minor repair after 10-15-20 years of constant use.

None cheap, all good value.

I was hoping you'd help me out!:D

As for fragrances and lotions and such. I dont wear perfume. I wear body spray. I hit Bath and Body works during their 2 semi annual sales and stock up. I love the body sprays and lotions. Sometimes I use the shower gels but mostly Im using Dial bar soap, in a lime scent these days. I like light scents, b/c Im prone to headaches on strong scents. the B BW stuff does not bother me so much. Ive also had trouble with deoderant giving me headaches too.But I got some DOve,stays on skin not on clothes, Pomegranite {sis} and something scent. It works and smells great!

OK, best made brand (to me) is Hartmann. Heavy, expensive, you will have it the rest of your life. Hartmann Wings is my dream luggage. I'd pack only silk if I could afford this line.

Next up is Tumi, expensive, not as heavy as Hartmann and usually well made, it's what many business travelers carry. They also have a layered polycarbonate that I like real well, it's called Vapor.

Rimowa...all about lightweight and ease of rolling with 4 caster wheels. It's 100% virgin polycarbonate, not an ABS blend that will be more rigid and prone to cracking like Heys. Rimowa is the lightest, sturdiest luggage out there. Expensive...they are opening a store on Rodeo Drive.

Briggs and Riley, great warranty, well finished pieces, a little slimmer than other lines, handles on the outside put people off. I find it interesting that people feel the handles inside a case and worry that they take up packing space. Yet, when you show them B & R, they don't like the pull handle on the outside because they fear breakage.

Victorinox NXT (what I carry) usually well made, but I think it depends on the manufacturer, we have more of this brand come in for repair (lifetime warranty and they mean it), but then again, we sell more of it than any other line.

Victorinox Werks, lighter weight than the NXT, but not as sturdy (that's where the weight is), same great warranty.

Kipling, great stuff, wears like iron and lightweight.

Bric's... lovely luggage, made in Italy, almost too pretty to check. I saw a whole lot of it when we were in Italy.

Eagle Creek, good lightweight luggage line, pieces seem a bit smaller than other lines. Good lifetime warranty. A little sporty looking, which is fine.

We carry some lesser quality lines, such as Antler, Samsonite and a few others to offer a lower price point. We don;t carry every well made brand out there, either. I'm sure there is plenty we don't know about.

We don't have TravelPro in our store, although our company does sell it. I had a piece (gave it away) and it was nice, but I do have to say the company has reduced the quality of their luggage.

I can't comment on the bargain quality luggage, such as what you see in stores like JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Target, etc... because when I do stop and look at it, all I see are cheap zippers, small wheels, no structure, rivets on handles, etc... all the things better quality luggage companies don't do.

I read and hear people state the airlines will damage nice luggage as well as cheap luggage, which is true. But if you have a good quality piece it is going to protect the contents of your case better, it's worth the cost of repair (some don't charge a thing, some replace the piece). A better quality piece will also protect your contents from damage.

Things to look for: tightly woven ballistic fabric, good quality zippers (that is the most expensive part of a suitcase) and make sure the zipper placement isn't on the corner of the piece, it should be set in from the corner, large wheels with a wide wheel base, expansion zippers that are placed behind the front wheels (how many times do you see fully packed bags topple over because of too much weight in front of the wheels?) pull handles that are not cheap aluminum...and there should be some play in the handle, a stiff pull handle will break with just a bit of pressure. Corner protection and curb protection, usually rubber, leather or in cheaper brands it will be plastic.

Things that people may not expect: zipper pulls should be the type to disengage with pressure. Many people think a piece is inferior if the zippper pulls detach when it is actually a safety feature. You don't want your case and its contents destroyed because the zipper pull gets caught in a conveyor belt. Good luggage companies either give extra pulls or you can get them almost free. We keep a supply on hand fo Victorinox.

On and on, blah blah blah. Which is why it is a good thing to go into a luggage store instead of ordering online or just having the assistance of a sales register clerk.

I didn't mention warranty. Read this carefully before purchase. Most warranties are for manufacturers defects only. To me, a 10 year manufacturers warranty means nothing, because you will know the piece is defective the first time you use it.

The best warranties with the lines we carry are: Victorinox, (planes, trains, automobiles, "Carry With Confidence") they will repair or replace a broken or damaged piece, they do not cover normal wear and tear and they started this warranty a few years ago, really old pieces are not covered.

Eagle Creek - "We've Got You Covered" lifetime warranty.

Briggs and Riley "Simple as That", lifetime repair or replacement.

Tumi and Hartmann take good care of their customers, the warranty is different, but we rarely get pieces of Hartmann in for repair. More Tumi, but it is road warrior stuff...the occasional broken zipper or wheel.

I feel about luggage the way I feel about pots and knives (and I feel VERY strongly about everything in my kitchen!) DON'T buy a set. Buy the pieces you NEED. And buy the best quality you can afford.

I don't have a matched set (of luggage, of pots, or of knives) because I've bought the best pieces for me, over the years, and they haven't all necessarily been the same brand or model year. But I am exceedingly pleased with all of them because they have exactly the features I want and need.

Many people come in looking for "sets" of luggage, we don't sell sets for the reason Hoyaheel mentions.

When I have looked at sets in discount stores, I think maybe one or two of the pieces will work for the customer out of the set. They usually give you one piece that is large enough to check, then several too small pieces.

My "set" of luggage has been purchased one piece at a time, over a 10 year span. My husband has Tumi luggage, he now has 4 pieces, purchased when I can snag a deal.

I will also mention one more thing (I promise to stop :p). Victorinox is redesigning their NXT line, the new stuff should be out by October. They are offering a 20% discount on the current line, NXT 4, no matter where you buy it.

If you wait a little bit, it's possible the discount could go higher. This happened with NXT 3 a few years ago, I picked up a couple pieces then.

It's hard to tell the difference between the new and the old unless you really know what to look for. I can tell by the placement of the logo on the front of the pieces and the zippers, ID holders, etc...

There are always improvements with new designs, so it's not a bad thing to wait for the newer version. I haven't spoken with our rep in a while, I don't even know if he knows what the improvements are yet. We already have a list of people who want to be contacted when the new version is delivered.

We've all talked about value over price. Well. over the weekend, I got my summer stuff down. Stuff I plan to wear on land and sea. Anyway, I got creative with the blue food coloring over a bowl of potato salad. I would up with food coloring under my nails,on my face,on my shorts,and on my yellow top. Mind you the top was a 4.00 clearance rack shirt.I wasn't mad,but I was like D@M! FIL told me it was NOT coming out. D@M again I thought.Not the case however! I used the Spray n wash with Resolve in it,and it came right out!!!

So moral of the story, even if you wear cheap clothes, invest in some good stain out stuff. With my 2 boys and DH whos a Grease Monkey {his words} it works.

BTW,HAppy, as Ive said about luggage, I want some good stuff when I turn 30. I love the tips that have been shared about buying as needed items. Maybe I wont have to wait that long then;). anyway, My BFF and I will be 30 a few months apart and had decided last week we wanted BMW cars! Knowing our money situation and rebuilding credit it would take that long to be able to get one. I told her yesterday Id changed my mind,and wanted luggage! She was like, Um OK! Suprised her to say the least,lol. How does one go from BMW to luggage? I told her Priorites! My Nissan is running great,and I like to travel more than I need a new car at this point,lol.:p

ANd HOya, Im a cook too. and in my kitchen Im very particular about items too. For things like that I for sure go for quality over cost and quanity. I love Pampered chef items. I dont have many,only like 4, but I tell you what, I use them all the time. My spatula scraper and mixing bowl are the best things ever!!! and I too like good knives! Id rather have 2 knives that will work vs a drawer ful of crap!

I'll have to pick up some Spray and Wash with Resolve! For me it used to be red wine, my husband told me I should just buy maroon colored clothing I ruined so many things.

I'm more careful now and I check the glass thoroughly before the first sip, it was always from a little drip off the bottom of the glass from the servers tray if the wine had sloshed out. Or, only go to places where they use proper wine glasses :p

Happy KS, do you have any thoughts on the quality of LLBean and Lands End luggage? I don't know if you've seen either or both of them up close enough to comment on quality, but if you have, I'd love to hear how it compares.

I have only had one Lands End piece, it was a briefcase I had years ago when we were in business. It lasted years, excellent quality. I have no idea whether the quality is the same since Sears took over, I do think their clothing quality has declined. I have little experience with LLBean.

I've only looked at pictures of the stuff, but would probably compare it to Eagle Creek from what I can see. Lightweight, good quality, not as much structure to the case as a standard suitcase, but that is what reduces the weight.

Like any other line of luggage, useage comes into play. I won't try to sell a casual traveler an expensive line of luggage unless they indicate price is no consideration. I won't sell cheaply made luggage in good conscience to anyone without pointing out the pitfalls. I realize and respect that price point is sometimes the only consideration for some people. When people are only traveling a few times a year or less, the less costly luggage makes sense.

All that said, I do not hesitate to recommend Eagle Creek, if what you have chosen is comparable...go for it :)

I'll have to pick up some Spray and Wash with Resolve! For me it used to be red wine, my husband told me I should just buy maroon colored clothing I ruined so many things.

I'm more careful now and I check the glass thoroughly before the first sip, it was always from a little drip off the bottom of the glass from the servers tray if the wine had sloshed out. Or, only go to places where they use proper wine glasses :p

LMAO!!! TY for the morning giggle! I sooo feel you. These days for me, its ketchup and whatever I happen to be making for supper though! I have a saying through a lifetime of experience, "It aint good food,unless you wear a lil of it home!". The same can be said for wine too!:D:p

Ive included a pic of said tater salad. I make this loaded kind that MUST be at every family gathering, per them! lol.

193507903_Easter018.jpg.b350cefad9d5150c950554a0c7fb014a.jpg

I'm sure your salad is yummy, but why blue?

B/C it was Easter,lol. got many a confused looks from the Fam. and Dh had a hissy fit over it. I stood my ground though and told him to lighten up. Life is too short to get pissy over blue tater salad. lol. they all ate it,and said it tasted the same. so Nah! to josh! ;)

Did everyone end up with blue tongues?

BTW, thank goodness you didn't go with green :p

Yes Ma'am. LOL! Oh we had lime green too! Taught a cousin how to make what we call Watergate salad, and we added lime green to it. He's only 15,so adding a loud color to it,was way cool to him. ;)

I have no fashion sense so I just don't buy anything! :( plus I am too lazy to try anything on. no make up either

Well,Well, look whos Tardy for the party. lol! Well Michelle, you have this savvy personal shopper friend down south who loves to shop! Good thing for you I DO have a sence of style. lol. :p

Tell you what, we will get you some makeup on a budget No need to spend a ton if its rarely worn.. ;)

Oh, tip came to mind.

I dont wear makeup too often b/c theres no need to for me to doll up to hang out clothes. Well, I like the Maybeline mascara. That classic pink and green tube. It works great, and since I swap it out every 3 or 4 months, its not a budget breaker either. Lipstick, I have it for as long as the tube last. Years,sometimes. I have a couple of decent make up brushes, and I wash them with shampoo every few months and let them dry. I too have had those for years. :D

Beauty on a budget...

I have the darndest time finding good sandals. I have what I affectionally call "duck feet" where I am wider than normal, but not really a wide...:p with a narrow heel.

I love to throw on flip flops, but after experiencing and reading about how they can wreck your feet, I determined to find something healthier and just as comfortable. Not an easy task. Flip flops can be REALLY comfy. When I did find the sandals in REI, a style from Merrell, I bought them. Keep the receipt, take home, don't wear, shop the internet.

Knowing my issues with shoes, I knew I would like the same sandal in more colors, more pairs. I found them clearanced in an online running store for half the cost at REI. I bought the remaining three colors they had in my size.

I was able to find the brown that I originally bought at shoebuy. Surfed the net for a code. Became a free member to save even more, and bought this sandal for about 2/3 the cost of REI. Returned the sandals to REI.

SO. My beauty advise is this, if you KNOW that you need something and will use it, and if you have a hard time finding it, STOCK UP when you do make a find. Use the internet to your advantage. Search for discount codes, promo codes, etc before EVERY online purchase. You'll be amazed at what you can find out there.

My sandals are still going strong. I have four pairs. Because I rotate between a couple of them, they are lasting that much longer. I enjoy knowing that I have two more pairs, not in weekly rotation, that can replace the ones I wear often when the replacement time comes.

Comfort never goes out of style. I don't worry about whether or not these will be "in fashion" because I didn't buy them for that reason.

Having the variety at home also helps me bypass other potential "bargains" because I know that I have something better at home.

BONUS: Merrell discontinued my particular favorite with a slight redesign (which I don't like as much), so I'm very happy to have gotten what I got.

Archived