Electricity in Rome

tooth-shiner

I am finding mixed info regarding the use of small electrical appliances (hair dryer, curling iron, make-up mirror, etc.) in Rome. I know we need to use a voltage converter from 220v to 110v but what about the plug adapter? Is the Italian plug a 3 pronged plug? I don't see many of those in the plug converter kits that I see for sale in the US. Any info from seasoned European travelers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The standard two pronged (two round prongs) works in Italy. And yes, everything is 220 so you either need multi-voltage stuff or a converter. Many travel hair dryers and curlers are certified for 220 so you might want to look for that info on your stuff.

Hank

Something else you might want to be aware of......some older adaptor plugs do not accept the US plugs that have one prong wider than the other. If you are buying an adaptor, be sure you buy one that has one wider slot, as most appliances (hair dryers, curling irons, etc) have this type of plug now.

We were given a converter (not just adapter) for a Xmas gift. It was from a Sharper Image type store and it worked great. It IS heavy but we used it for computers, iPods, etc. for months. But the prong placement did not work once we got to the UK, had to buy an adapter there for a whopping 4.99.

I did not travel with a hair dryer since I didn't want the weight nor the worry about voltage since they draw so much power--everywhere we went had hair dryers--just FYI.

Cathy

I just bought an adapter at a travel store yesterday that was clearly marked ITALY on the front of the package, I think it was made by Eagle Creek, and it is a3 pronged adapter. So will this one not work? Thanks to the Op for this question!

Linda

I just bought an adapter at a travel store yesterday that was clearly marked ITALY on the front of the package, I think it was made by Eagle Creek, and it is a3 pronged adapter. So will this one not work? Thanks to the Op for this question!

Linda

The answer is "maybe." I am assuming they sold you a grounded adapter that has three round prongs all in a straight row. This adapter will work in many Italian outlets, but quite a few of the older outlets do not have that third hole for the ground. Its similar to the US where there are still some old style outlets that cannot accomodate the ground prong. If you had a 2 prong adapter (just two round prongs) it would work in both the grounded and ungrounded outlets.

Hank

We were given a converter (not just adapter) for a Xmas gift. It was from a Sharper Image type store and it worked great. It IS heavy but we used it for computers, iPods, etc. for months.

You generally don't need a converter, just the plug adaptor, for computers, cell phone chargers, etc. Most now have build in currency converters, you just need the right plug.

I was concerned in Italy last month when I realized that my computer plug is a grounded, three prong one, but my adaptor only has two slots. I called a cousin who is an electrician and he said to go ahead and use it with the third prong on the outside of the adaptor plug, and it worked fine.

Well, I wan't sure, but since we had the converter we brought it and used it exclusively, until we got to the UK. I guess I should have checked before we left! I kept reading "an adapter is NOT a converter"! It worked, anyway, since we never used anything remotely iffy.

Thx Cathy

Thanks everyone....I guess I will look for a two prong as well (just in case;))

CathyCruises, I just noticed that you are from the base of the Tetons. Wow, my husband's favorite place in the world. He has been flyfishing in that area for over twenty years now. It is a yearly tradition with his buddies.

Linda

Thanks everyone....I guess I will look for a two prong as well (just in case;))

CathyCruises, I just noticed that you are from the base of the Tetons. Wow, my husband's favorite place in the world. He has been flyfishing in that area for over twenty years now. It is a yearly tradition with his buddies.

Linda

It IS beautiful and the fly fishing is, as we say, "world class". I am the sales manager at a resort community with 2 1/2 miles of Teton River frontage, and DH takes every opportunity to fish the pristine waters (we have Class 5 rapids, the nasty kind, right below us so no one but property owners ever get to fish that stretch). We also have LOTS of snow--we are almost snowbound today, several blizzard-like storms in the last few days. I took the winter off (since there aren't many buyers that time of year) and thought I would escape the winter weather--hah! Joke on me. But at least I will get 2 Springs this year! (Assuming it comes at some point).

Do you know which river(s) your husband fishes? They are all pretty great. Here's a pic of the view:

Cathy

DSC_0216.jpg.d44624fc26f03d6cbc6e02564dbb7a50.jpg

It IS beautiful and the fly fishing is, as we say, "world class". I am the sales manager at a resort community with 2 1/2 miles of Teton River frontage, and DH takes every opportunity to fish the pristine waters (we have Class 5 rapids, the nasty kind, right below us so no one but property owners ever get to fish that stretch). We also have LOTS of snow--we are almost snowbound today, several blizzard-like storms in the last few days. I took the winter off (since there aren't many buyers that time of year) and thought I would escape the winter weather--hah! Joke on me. But at least I will get 2 Springs this year! (Assuming it comes at some point).

Do you know which river(s) your husband fishes? They are all pretty great. Here's a pic of the view:

Cathy

Cathy, I will have to tell DH about the weather you are having I would bet everything you know the guide that takes them every year. His son is a world famous snow boarder (so I will try to keep his name private haha) but I am sure you know most everyone out in Jackson. DH loves Pinedale. I may look you up because we are thinking about spending a week there this Sept.and ask for some advice about a condo rental. I have not been to Jackson since our son was born and I miss it. Of course, DH would go there anytime :) Sorry to have gotten off the Europe topic!

Happy Easter!!

Linda

Keep in mind, that some electronics need a converter, not an adapter.

My cousin killed her $100 flat iron using a an adapter instead of a converter.

If you do take the risk of use a flat iron with an adapter in Europe, remember to try it out on the lowest setting and see if it gets really hot. If so, then you don't raise the temp! The higher setting will fry your flat iron! Use it at the lowest setting.

MOST cell phones, cameras, DS games, laptops etc... don't need a converter, they are already made for both 110 and 220 volts. Higher wattage products like coffee makes and flat irons are generally not made for this, unless the product specifically says so.

You generally don't need a converter, just the plug adaptor, for computers, cell phone chargers, etc. Most now have build in currency converters, you just need the right plug.

I was concerned in Italy last month when I realized that my computer plug is a grounded, three prong one, but my adaptor only has two slots. I called a cousin who is an electrician and he said to go ahead and use it with the third prong on the outside of the adaptor plug, and it worked fine.

I just got back from a river boat cruise in Germany. I took a grounded surge protector for my computer. I plugged it into the 2-rounded adaptor, leaving the grounding part exposed. Before I put anything important in the plug I decided to test my nightlight. It blew out immediatley. I never used it again, just used the adaptor.

Archived