Zaandam Hawaii - A Great Cruise aboard a Disappointing Ship

bepsf

Glad your cruise was enjoyable. I'm sorry the ship was missing some beats in the maintenance area. She was a fine vessel a few years ago when we sailed her.

I like Kona, too. Great place to walk around and soak in the beauty.

just one question Brian

were you on vacation or on an inspection tour:rolleyes:

Yes. ;)

I'm detail-oriented in my work and I'm interested in & write about interior design at home - When I'm at a land-based hotel, restaurant, store or even in my office at home, I notice these types of things.

It's no different while on vacation.

Yes. ;)

I'm detail-oriented in my work and I'm interested in & write about interior design at home - When I'm at a land-based hotel, restaurant, store or even in my office at home, I notice these types of things.

It's no different while on vacation.

truly commendable

don't know of many people who go on vacation (land or sea) and make lists of interior or structural deficiencies of their accomodations

just 1 question: did you turn your list over to the HotMan before you posted it on CC .. may have been more beneficial

but maybe Zaandam got lucky: imagine if you had ever gained access to the engine room:eek:

but maybe Zaandam got lucky: imagine if you had ever gained access to the engine room:eek:
Ha - funny you should mention that. I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity, where I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the engine control room. It was interesting to see a washer hanging from a string as their fail-safe stability indicator. Also they had garlic cloves sitting on the control board to ward off evil spirits, just in case things got really bad.

(Actually they were pretty tongue-in-cheek with these items and kept a nice, very technologically advanced, control room.)

Ha - funny you should mention that. I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity, where I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the engine control room. It was interesting to see a washer hanging from a string as their fail-safe stability indicator. Also they had garlic cloves sitting on the control board to ward off evil spirits, just in case things got really bad.

(Actually they were pretty tongue-in-cheek with these items and kept a nice, very technologically advanced, control room.)

please tell us how you gained entry to the engine room

in all seriousness, the odds of getting into an engine room on HLA are "0" and "0" .. no exceptions

a tour of the bridge is "difficult"

engine room: impossible since 9/11

please tell us how you gained entry to the engine room

in all seriousness, the odds of getting into an engine room on HLA are "0" and "0" .. no exceptions

a tour of the bridge is "difficult"

engine room: impossible since 9/11

It was the engine control room, not the actual engine room. I asked at the guest services desk, and they set me up. We didn't get to see the engines themselves, only a tv monitor image, since you as you noted this is not allowed post 9-11. But we did get to go see the control room for the engines. That's where the engineers manipulate the controls for the engine and for most every pump and valve on the ship. The two engineers on duty showed us around the room and answered our questions about the engines. In this case, they had two propeller shafts that could be turned by various combinations of diesels. They had 4 diesels for propulsion that were grouped into two sets, with 2 diesels for each set. They called one the Father (it was the larger of the two) and the other the Son. It was a clutch setup for engaging the selected diesels to the shafts. Constant rpms with power controlled by varying propeller blade pitch. They showed us the computer control system, talked about jacket water cooling, electrical power, etc. Then they asked if we wanted to join another group for a tour of the bridge. It was a nice morning.

just one question Brian

were you on vacation or on an inspection tour:rolleyes:

Actually, Brian is a very fair person who pays attention to detail...as do I. I see nothing unusual about that, and think your post is rather snarky.

Rev Neal...while on the Noordam, I noticed those paint chips you found February '09 on the gyroscope still have not been addressed!

We've been on the Noordam four February's in a row, the first two, 10 days each; the last two years, the 210-day Collectors Cruise. I was always amazed at how many times they varnished the railings and cleaned the plexiglass on the verandahs.

This year, over the 20 day span, they didn't clean the plexiglass once! I was shocked...and chuckled to myself that by the end of the cruise, we may as well have had the metal enclosures instead of the plexiglass.

Brian...are you still doing the Maasdam 02/11? I trust your word and am hoping the Maasdam and Veendam are in better shape than the Zaandam! Welcome back, BTW! :D

Dear Sage,

I guess the critical difference would be the following from Brian's report:

One must remember that none of these ships are static: always sick or always malfunctioning or always broken down, etc. Also, I've seen Vistas with severe mechanical and cosmetic problems, so it's not that the newer ships are always wonderful, either. HAL ships are like living creatures ... they are dynamic, evolving critters that are always being touched and maintained by a diligent, loving crew. For some WEIRD reason the latest dry dock didn't provide the time to address some of these problems, and/or it could be that some of the work done was sub-standard?? Who knows? The engineering and deck crew will take care of most of these over the next few months. I've seen them do so in the past and on different ships. In short, the Zaandam will not be in this sorry state forever. I would imagine that special steps will be/are being taken to address many of the problems Brian outlined. HAL has a very long operational history and they know how to take care of their ships, do in-cruise and between-cruise maintenance and repair, etc. It may take several months, but I would expect that between now and the end of the Alaska season the Zaandam will have seen significant repairs and improvements to the noted issues. That's just the way HAL does things. They don't let their ships "go to pot."

I certainly understand one's hesitance in booking another cruise aboard the Zaandam, and share that hesitation myself. But I would never consigner her to the depths of "never book again." The problems outlined are correctable, and I cannot imagine that HAL won't correct them.

We were on the Zaandam in February 09 and all noticed all of the things the OP mentioned and 14 months later they are still not resolved. The Zaandam was in the worst condition of any ship I have sailed including older ships on other cruise lines

Actually, Brian is a very fair person who pays attention to detail...as do I.

Brian...are you still doing the Maasdam 02/11? I trust your word and am hoping the Maasdam and Veendam are in better shape than the Zaandam! Welcome back, BTW! :D

Thanks Sheila - And Yes, still planning on joining you and Fred aboard Maasdam!

:)

just 1 question: did you turn your list over to the HotMan before you posted it on CC.

Yes, on Day 4 of the cruise when the group leaders were asked to a tea and chat w/ the HM and GRM to see how the cruise was going, I inquired after these issues.

A few days later - while we were anchored off Kona - he left the ship to attend HAL's Hotel Manager conference in Las Vegas.

One might reasonably expect that some relatively minor things like replacing lightbulbs, cleaning certain windows and scuffed floors could be accomplished while at sea given the proper supplies and equipment are aboard.

Other issues such as broken chairs, torn upholstery, damaged artwork, cleaning the Upper Promenade Deck Windows, touching up much of the exterior paintwork and replacing missing or broken equipment simply cannot be accomplished at all in the midst of the Pacific Ocean.

Well we just came off the Zaandam today and I can attest to some of the deficiencies Brian noted. The windows are still not cleaned. The Lido window is still broken (covered w/ plywood), and the statue is still held together w/ string (at first I thought it was part of the sculpture, but I reconsidered). There were some complaints w/ bathrooms out of order near the Crow's Nest and some of the elevators had issues throughout the cruise. There was a plumbing problem on Deck 6 which resulted in a potty flood and two rooms reassigned for a night.

So, yeah, there are some maintenance problems to be taken care of and hopefully HAL will take care of them. But overall, the Zaandam is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew and that usually makes up for anything that is below a "10". (but i wish the cabin stewards would wash the glass on the balconies more often. just my pet peeve).

Jeanne

are you kidding me. sounds as though you spent more time inspecting the ship then enjoying the cruise itself. we just got off the eurodam last week and although a newer ship than the zaandam i can`t remember spending a second looking for a burnt out light bulb or a crooked lamp shade. also the same people praising your overly critical review would normally blast any other poster and most of them would say exactly what i am asking and that is when did you find time to not work and enjoy the vacation!!!!!

Well we just came off the Zaandam today and I can attest to some of the deficiencies Brian noted....The Lido window is still broken (covered w/ plywood)....There were some complaints w/ bathrooms out of order near the Crow's Nest...There was a plumbing problem on Deck 6 which resulted in a potty flood and two rooms reassigned for a night.

just wanted to add that many times for a spec window such as in the Lido to be replaced, it must be ordered, then shipped from the manufacturer, brought onboard in San Diego (ship is there very two weeks or 11 days when doing Mexico/Sea of Cortez), and then installed. Just as when in your home something needs to be repaired/replaced, sometimes it takes awhile to get the exact item.

Also, 90% of toilet problems on ships come from someone putting something down the toilet that does not belong, and backups throughout the system can occur.

just things to keep in mind :)

Senior Management conference in San Diego;)

which is not only for Hotel managers but also for Captains, Chief Engineers and Chief Officers in addition to (of course) senior HAL Management

a little appreciated fact is that senior management conference also afford captains, hotel managers and others to see and speak with each other .. very seldom do they actually meet face to face during the year unless they are sharing a port

which is not only for Hotel managers but also for Captains, Chief Engineers and Chief Officers in addition to (of course) senior HAL Management

a little appreciated fact is that senior management conference also afford captains, hotel managers and others to see and speak with each other .. very seldom do they actually meet face to face during the year unless they are sharing a port

Plus Environmental Officers;)

With cruise ships becoming more and more like floating hotels, should they not act like a hotel and have things in working order or be prepared to move a guest to a cabin that works? Passengers have been taught to "settle". Would you be so complacent to stay with a rental car that had no lights, or had an oil leak that had to tended to every so many miles? Of course not, but you will pay top dollar for a cabin that doesn't work. Hmmm. Cruise passengers are not very good consumers.

Brian came back giving a very accurate discription of the things wrong with the ship. He was kind in not mentioning that several members of our group had problems with phones, toilets, and a/c problems. The crew was incredible, but they can only do so much.

Sage,

I am sure the ships would love to have the luxury of moving a guest from a cabin that has considerable malfunctions but seeing the ships almost always go out full these days, they have lost that option.

Years past, they often held a few cabins for just that reason. Today they need every bit of revenue possible to keep the prices to the low level most cruisers demand.

sounds as though you spent more time inspecting the ship then enjoying the cruise itself.

Well, on a 15 day itinerary where only 5 of those days are in port one does end up spending quite a bit of time on the ship - and one does inevitably notice things during all those sea days that one could easily overlook on a shorter and/or more port-intensive itinerary.

For example - Last fall while I was aboard Ryndam in Alaska, I can honestly say that I only walked through the Lido Pool area once, never went to the aft pool and didn't avail myself of the spa facilities.

Some of the issues I noted aboard Zaandam could have existed on Ryndam as well, but I'd have never noticed them due to the port-intensiveness and shorter length of the cruise.

Well, on a 15 day itinerary where only 5 of those days are in port one does end up spending quite a bit of time on the ship - and one does inevitably notice things during all those sea days that one could easily overlook on a shorter and/or more port-intensive itinerary.

For example - Last fall while I was aboard Ryndam in Alaska, I can honestly say that I only walked through the Lido Pool area once, never went to the aft pool and didn't avail myself of the spa facilities.

Some of the issues I noted aboard Zaandam could have existed on Ryndam as well, but I'd have never noticed them due to the port-intensiveness and shorter length of the cruise.

sounds like Ryndam got lucky:D:D

good point

Thank you for being so observant, Brian. I don't understand how some can go on vacation and not notice their surroundings. JMO, but why bother leaving home? It is their vacation however and they can spend it as they wish, just as you can. I don't see the reason for them to criticize you. :rolleyes: Thanks again, B. :D

Archived