Zaandam Hawaii - A Great Cruise aboard a Disappointing Ship

bepsf

Hi All - Now that I've settled into the home routine, I thought I'd share some thoughts about my family's recent Hawaii Cruise. A more complete review with my thoughts on the various ports will be posted to the CC Cruise Review section shortly.

This was my family's first-ever trip to Hawaii - so we were looking forward to this trip w/ much anticipation. We went with a group of experienced cruisers - some had cruised to Hawaii before aboard Zaandam, others had been to Hawaii but not aboard a ship, and others had cruised but not to Hawaii.

Our friend and travel agent made the arrangements for our group and also for our shore excursions, pre-cruise hotel, Bon Voyage dinner, Meet and Greet - plus she procured proper HAL luggage tags for our group! Can't say enough good things about her.

Embarcation was fine despite the fact that the Carnival Spirit was embarking on her 8 day cruise the same day - the hotel across the street where we were staying was full and the lines on the pier were tremendous: We were glad to stay at the hotel for a couple extra hours to enjoy breakfast on the terrace and a couple of drinks at the bar as the lines on the pier dissipated.

One thing to note is that HAL no longer takes your CC for the shipboard account on the pier - either you do it online or you must swing by the front office to set up your account: I waited a couple days to go to the desk to do this to avoid the lines.

Service was splendid and the staff and crew were outstanding - I cannot say enough about how wonderful the crew are aboard Zaandam: CD Anthony is the best I've ever experienced. Edy, Geoffrey, Wayou, Rafael, the guys in the Crow's Nest, the Ocean Bar and Lido Bar and our cabin stewards as well as the spa staff and Kris and Iris at the Front Office took really great care of us. The band was good and the activities were plentiful, if one wished to participate - otherwise, there was plenty of time and space to relax and read a good book (for this itinerary I recommend “Letters from Hawaii” by Mark Twain - available thru Amazon) I also cannot say enough good things about our waiter’s conscientiousness regarding my Gluten-Free diet. Scotty and I also caught sinus infections (it seemed to be going around) on the return trip and we both went to the infirmary on separate days - and we were both dealt with kindly and professionally by the staff and the same Doctor we met last year aboard Noordam.

Iris helped us have two Meet and Greets in the Crow’s Nest - which I highly recommend, particularly on a longer itinerary, as folks seem to have so much more to share at the end of the cruise. I was also invited to a tea w/ our HM, Fierman, and GRM, Iris, who asked us group leaders how we felt about the cruise - I thought this was a nice touch and showed genuine concern for our well-being.

The ship did schedule some LGBT unhosted meetings in the Crow’s Nest but they weren’t well attended. Seems that our group was nearly all the LGBT that were aboard and we knew one another already.

The itinerary was wonderful and we saw so much - every Hawaiian port was truly enjoyable. Some highlights of the trip included encountering a huge herd of dolphins mid-ocean westbound who raced to meet the ship in such great numbers as if we were offering free crack in the ghetto. We also saw a great many whales frolicking off the port of Lahaina, Maui all about the ship all day long. Our friend, Mary, rented a van and drove a number of us around Honolulu to Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace and the state government buildings, and afterwards to the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki for a delightful lunch (I could stay there forever...) Kona is a lovely port just to wander around: much better than Hilo where one must take a taxi or bus to get out of the former Military installation and into town, and Kauai is a gorgeous rustic island which is very much the way I imagined Hawaii to be. I think of my short time in Hawaii, I’d have to say that my favorite ports were Kawai, Honolulu and Kona.

Sadly - Zaandam herself was not up to the standard of what I expected a HAL ship to look like after the recent January drydock (I could see it from my apartment here in SF for two weeks so I know it was there!) The cabins were in good condition, and the dining room chairs were brand new - but other than that, I could not tell you what had been done:

* Hull and Superstructure are in desperate need of paint - Rust streaks are everywhere, the paint was scraped away beneath the bow anchors to such an extent that it appeared more rust than blue (Some painting was done on the portside bow while we were in Kauai - nowhere else) and paint is bubbling and peeling around the windows and hull-doors so that one can easily see the rust streaks on the white superstructure from pier or tender.

* Lightbulbs burnt out all over the place - and of the 6 chandeliers in the MDR, 1 was never lit for the entire cruise.

* Lamps in the Lido were broken or crooked.

* Torn and frayed upholstery in the Lido and certain public rooms on Upper Promenade Deck.

* Broken out windows in the Lido.

* Filthy windows, including the Magrodome itself until after we had had some rain in Hilo and Kauai.

* Decorative decals that wrap around the bulkhead surrounding the opening for the Magrodome are decayed and peeling off in the central areas.

* Ships clocks are unsynchronized, and the TV channel that gives time and date was often wrong. Forward Lido clock under the Magrodome is correct - Aft Lido clock under the Magrodome is off by 3 1/2 hours.

* Scuffs and scrapes in the hard flooring around the Lido bar. (It wouldn’t take a couple hours one night w/ a floor polisher to get rid of those scrapes, says the Old Military man...)

* Cracking and peeling finishes on the wooden tables near the Lido Bar.

* Broken chairs in the Lido Restaurant (I pinched my finger in the loose arm joint of one chair while pulling it beneath me - nearly fell through the broken seat of another...)

* Hair Salon only had one cape to cover clients - the beauticians had to share back and forth while doing Mother's hair and mine. Also, a chair in the salon had broken brakes: After Mom had her hair washed, the ship rolled and she rolled helplessly towards the windows scaring her half-to-death!

* Dirty tile in the Thermal Spa - I could take my hand and wipe the dirt away from the tile around the T-Pool. I really wanted to take a scrub-brush to the place!

* Frayed and poorly laid carpets in the corridors - I could easily see the concrete between the gaps in the cuts!

* Of the 8 lamp standards around the aft pool: 2 had new lamp globes, 4 had yellowed and filthy globes, and 2 had no globes at all!

* Damaged artwork: One of the carved marble sculptures outside the Sports Bar was tied up with rope to hold it together throughout the cruise, and the great circular painting at the top of the midship stairwell had gilding from the frame peeled off from what appeared to be tape that had been applied here & there.

* Broken Lifeboat Davit? Portside-Aft davit was left extended throughout the return trip to California - Didn't notice if it was extended for the entire cruise...

* Broken Granite floor tiles in the elevators and a huge gouge in the door of one elevator.

When I asked the Captain during one of his talks what happens during a drydock, he mentioned that there’s quite a lot of maintenance that goes on - cleaning the hull, polishing the propellers, etc - which is all well and good. I later asked our kind Hotel Manager, Fierman, about the poor condition of the ship to which he replied, “I know”. He did say that many ports prohibit painting and window-washing nowadays - but again, one would think that the floors and tiles could have been scrubbed, lightbulbs could have been changed and a good coat of paint could have been slapped on the ship as she sat in the drydock for two weeks, don’t you? Yes, it’s a 10 year old ship, but it’s not going to make it another 10 years unless Seattle puts some time and effort into the condition of this ship - Ryndam and Statendam were in better condition last fall than Zaandam today! IMO, who cares about new showroom furniture, rearranged cocktail lounges and shops and the sliding glass door staterooms that are being installed on the ships when the basics go ignored?

Would I go to Hawaii again? In a heartbeat.

Would I take a Hawaii cruise again? I believe that seeing Hawaii by ship is probably the best way to go - I wouldn’t know which island to go to first and think that I might get bored had I been on only one island. However, I honestly don’t think that it’s worth the time away to only spend 4 days in port and not 5 - All those days at sea got to be a bit much on the return trip that a mere 4 ports just wouldn’t be worth it unless an overnight were planned someplace like Honolulu. I’d either book the one 15-day cruise in January 2011 that still includes Kona or the 30-day Polynesian/Pacific Cruise that includes Hawaii - but I wouldn’t do the 14-day Hawaiian cruise from San Diego.

Despite the wonderful staff and crew and the great itinerary - until HAL gets its act in order and cleans up the ship and does the necessary maintenance I wouldn’t book any cruise aboard Zaandam, as the sad condition of the ship was the most disappointing aspect of the entire cruise.

Hi Brian!

Thank you for the comprehensive review of your cruise and especially about the unfortunate condition of the Zaandam. It is sad to read of that "wear and tear" items were not all resolved during dry dock and that they are so noticeable. We did the same cruise on the Zaandam in 2008 and she was in pretty good shape then. Of course, she has been in constant use since that time up to drydock. It is good news about the crew and staff. Glad, too, that you had a great time. Please give our regards to your folks and Scotty.

Thanks for your report, Brian. It saddens me that basic maintenance of the ship was apparently ignored in favor of improvements.

It doesn't matter how grand the house is. If the foundation is not poured correctly, it will all fall down.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your comprehensive report. May I suggest that you send a version of your review, with your critical remarks about the ship, to Seattle? Have Scotty hand deliver it. :)

Some of what you noticed I noticed. Other things I either missed or are damage done since i was aboard her.

Would I go to Hawaii again? In a heartbeat.

Would I take a Hawaii cruise again? I believe that seeing Hawaii by ship is probably the best way to go - I wouldn’t know which island to go to first and think that I might get bored had I been on only one island. However, I honestly don’t think that it’s worth the time away to only spend 4 days in port and not 5 - All those days at sea got to be a bit much on the return trip that a mere 4 ports just wouldn’t be worth it unless an overnight were planned someplace like Honolulu. I’d either book the one 15-day cruise in January 2011 that still includes Kona or the 30-day Polynesian/Pacific Cruise that includes Hawaii - but I wouldn’t do the 14-day Hawaiian cruise from San Diego.

Likewise, I adore the 15-day Itinerary to Hawaii round trip out of San Diego. I've done that cruise 3 times, now, and have loved it every time. I'd do it again, if HAL offers it at a time that I can go. However, it is more likely that the next time I cruise to Hawaii it will be in conjunction with one of HAL's wonderful 30-day Polynesian/Pacific Cruises.

This is what I have been waiting for .... I feared that there were problems with the Zaandam since our cruise is evidently not selling very well. There have been two price drops recently and I expect more before final payment.

I still do want to go because it is Hawaii and my DH has never been but I wish they were using another ship. At least this itineary does include Kona and has 5 stops in Hawaii.

Does anyone know why they do not take a Vista class ship? Are they too large to navigate around the Hawaii islands? Would love to see the Eurodam or Noordam do Hawaii.

Vickie

Thanks Brian for your report. I agree that the ship was in a sad state of repair. I too commented that I would not sail on the Zaandam again and took a lot of heat for it. I would also love to see a Vista class ship, especially the Noordam for this sailing. And I would love to see them bring back the overnight in Honolulu docked at the Aloha Tower. Thanks again Brian.

Thanks for your review..we board her in the am. Looking forward to your complete review also..

Really hoping we have no major problems with our cabin, and from what you said sounds like the crew did a wonderful job.

I really love the smaller older ships..so it's sad to hear that they are not being maintained as they should.

Thanks, Brian, for your fair critique of your cruise. I heard something very similar about Veendam's recent drydock. I wish someone could explain why they're doing the little cosmetic facelifts and letting way more important stuff go.

But overall you had a great time and that's the main thing. Still, hope someone is Seattle is listening and they give some serious thought to keeping these older ships in better condition for those of us who love this class ship.

We cruised French Polynesia on the Wind Song many years ago and it was, without question, the greatest experience in our lifetimes. I highly recommend it and what could be better than an extended cruise to include it all. Still, once you've been to Bora Boar(for me), you ache to return forever.

Thanks Brian for your report. I agree that the ship was in a sad state of repair. I too commented that I would not sail on the Zaandam again and took a lot of heat for it. I would also love to see a Vista class ship, especially the Noordam for this sailing. And I would love to see them bring back the overnight in Honolulu docked at the Aloha Tower. Thanks again Brian.

Dear Sage,

I guess the critical difference would be the following from Brian's report:

.... until HAL gets its act in order and cleans up the ship and does the necessary maintenance I wouldn’t book any cruise aboard Zaandam

One must remember that none of these ships are static: always sick or always malfunctioning or always broken down, etc. Also, I've seen Vistas with severe mechanical and cosmetic problems, so it's not that the newer ships are always wonderful, either. HAL ships are like living creatures ... they are dynamic, evolving critters that are always being touched and maintained by a diligent, loving crew. For some WEIRD reason the latest dry dock didn't provide the time to address some of these problems, and/or it could be that some of the work done was sub-standard?? Who knows? The engineering and deck crew will take care of most of these over the next few months. I've seen them do so in the past and on different ships. In short, the Zaandam will not be in this sorry state forever. I would imagine that special steps will be/are being taken to address many of the problems Brian outlined. HAL has a very long operational history and they know how to take care of their ships, do in-cruise and between-cruise maintenance and repair, etc. It may take several months, but I would expect that between now and the end of the Alaska season the Zaandam will have seen significant repairs and improvements to the noted issues. That's just the way HAL does things. They don't let their ships "go to pot."

I certainly understand one's hesitance in booking another cruise aboard the Zaandam, and share that hesitation myself. But I would never consigner her to the depths of "never book again." The problems outlined are correctable, and I cannot imagine that HAL won't correct them.

Thank you, Brian. I too really love the smaller older ships, so it is sad to hear that this one is not being maintained as she should. I certainly would not cast aspersions against ALL the older HAL ships (in favor of the Vistas and Signature ships) because of the condition of this one ship. I've had (or seen) problems on the newer ships too.

It will be interesting to see what my FIL notices, he boards her tomorrow.

Thanks for an interesting report!

One possible important key to explaining the condition of at least part of the ship was the comment made by the Hotel Manager concerning some ports not allowing exterior maintainence to be done when the ship is in port. In his blog concerning the Prinsendam's recently completed South American Grand Voyage, Captain Albert made the same comment. The inability to do proper maintainence when in port was of a concern of both the Chief Officer, who is responsible for this area, and Captain Albert. That does not explain, however, the defects observed in the ship's interior. Seems to me the Chief Housekeeper needs to be more "on the ball".

Brian, I read your review on the CC Review page and couldn't help but notice that you stayed in 7086 the "secret room". We have this same room booked for our Oct. '10 cruise. How did you like the room? Seems it would be a great value for the money. Did you feel alot of motion in your stateroom during the sea days?

I do hope Rev. Neal is right and the Zaandam gets some special attention this summer. If things do not get better, we may have to rethink this cruise. :rolleyes:

Great review!

I was amazed to hear of some of the problems which could and should be corrected such as burned-out lightbulbs. There is no excuse for that much lack of maintenance.

My first TA was many years ago on a small Jap freighter (long before containers) Every day you could see sailors on deck cleaning or painting areas. The Engineer gave 4 of us a tour of the engine room, and except for a slight mist of oil in the air, you could eat off any surface. Two or 3 seaman were attending to the room and all of them had a cloth in the pocket or hand.

I have put stores on board many freighters and found most to have little visible rust where it could be reached while at sea. If working freighters can keep up a ship, I would expect an upscale cruise line to be sparkling.

Thank you, Brian, for sharing your perceptions. Our first cruise, way back in the last millennium, was aboard NCL's Norway (formerly, the France). She was at the time the largest (not to say the grandest) cruise ship afloat. But gosh, did she ever show the wear and tear. Many of the things you've noted on the Zaandam match my recollections of the old Norway. In the end, it put me off on cruising altogether for some years.

My prior experience with the Norway made me apprehensive about how we might find the Zaandam on our Alaska cruise in May 2009. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the ship at that time. To my wary eyes she looked to be in tip-top condition. At one of the ports we were back to back with the Ryndam. The stern of the Ryndam was streaked all over with dripping rust spots. I was appalled -- very bad "curb" appeal! The next chance I got in port I walked around to view the Zaandam from the rear, and felt relieved that she looked spic and span.

We've recently returned from our Mexican Riviera cruise on board the Oosterdam. Again, the ship looked a great condition. No threadbare traffic lanes or stair risers, burnt out bulbs few and far between, and the staff ubiquitously evident varnishing, painting, and polishing.

Overall both of our HAL experiences, aboard the Zaandam and the Oosterdam, were "once in a lifetime experiences" for us. In some ways, the thermal suites being one notable example) we preferred the Zaandam over the Oosterdam. But it will be awhile -- until we start hearing favorable reports on this board -- before we book on her again.

As Rev. Neal so wisely observed a few posts ago, ships are living, breathing things; it's easy to anthropomorphize them. We've all experienced that each one seems to have it own distinct spirit and personality. I look forward to the day when Zaandam will be restored to her erstwhile glory. (Nice message for Easter!)

You have built up such credibility, Brian, with your postings over the years that readers of this board must take your observations seriously, knowing that you are well disposed to HAL and have no ax to grind.

Wow, I was on the 3/2 Zaandam sailing and with the exception of the Thermal Spa and the salon, I was in all of the public areas you mentioned and never noticed any of the issues you listed with the exception of some rust on the hull of the ship. A few CC members were not happy with the condition of the furnishings in their cabins, but ours was in very good shape. My only complaint with the ship was it was dead by 11pm, unlike our Veendan cruise last year that offered a late movie that we could go to after the 9pm show.

Thank you for your thoughtful and kind remarks everyone.

Here is the longer & somewhat more complete version with the link to my thoughts on the various ports we visited: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=65331

EBayCruiser--

Yes, we were in 7086 - one of the aft inside/outside staterooms.

This was my third time in this cabin (First two times were aboard Amsterdam and Volendam)

It's an odd duck: It's shaped like Utah.

The "panhandle" is the seating area where the sofa faces the back wall of the bathroom - about 20 inches away from the front of the sofa - which is why I say it's about useless for anything but storing luggage.

Otherwise, the beds are on the inside wall facing the 3 wardrobes and the desk with 3 drawers. It's perfect for one person traveling alone - it's tight for two. (And downright cramped when you pack like I do!!!)

But you'll be quite pleased with your stewards - They do a fantastic job considering the pair have 20-some-odd staterooms on both sides of the ship to take care of.

I probably shouldn't share this hint - but I will anyway:

If you ever need anything and can't find the steward - the steward's closet is just ahead of your stateroom - about 2 doors forward. Towels, Ice, Laundry tags, etc. are in there. Just don't be surprised if one of them comes through the door from the opposite side and cries out in surprise because he didn't expect to see anyone in his storeroom! ;)

Archived