Flying/cruising using own water bottles?

NHsnowpup

We are first timers to Alaska and will not be checking bags. We have a week's land first before cruise and are planning on bringing our metal hiking water bottles with our daypacks for hiking, biking, horseback riding and night times in rooms.

1.) With new regulations out, again. Will TSA let you board with an empty metal water bottle or will it get confiscated as a rule?

2.) Didn't think we would have to worry about the ship on and off every day, but will it be an issue with us leaving with ice water/tea and then returning to ship with our own metal water bottles attached to our daypacks?(Princess if it makes any difference)

Thanks to those with the experience!!

We are first timers to Alaska and will not be checking bags. We have a week's land first before cruise and are planning on bringing our metal hiking water bottles with our daypacks for hiking, biking, horseback riding and night times in rooms.

1.) With new regulations out, again. Will TSA let you board with an empty metal water bottle or will it get confiscated as a rule?

If they see it, they may ask to inspect it. We carry one -- empty of fluids but find it can be stuffed with things like clean socks and undies, and will take up much less space!

2.) Didn't think we would have to worry about the ship on and off every day, but will it be an issue with us leaving with ice water/tea and then returning to ship with our own metal water bottles attached to our daypacks?(Princess if it makes any difference)

No, this should not be a problem. Taking FOOD off the ship may be an issue, depending on agricultural rules in Alaska and Canada -- generally you can carry food that is in it's commercial packaging (like single serve granola bars, wrapped and sealed), but not, say, sandwiches you made at the buffet and want to carry off the ship.

Thanks to those with the experience!!

Have a great vacation! Alaska is awesome!

As long as your water bottles are empty when you go thru security, you will be fine. You can fill them up after security, if you want to take water on the plane.

You can carry the bottles, full or empty, on and off the ship.

As long as your water bottles are empty when you go thru security, you will be fine. You can fill them up after security, if you want to take water on the plane.

Thank you for your input. Considering shipping with some other essentials to be 100% sure. But having it on the LONG Baltimore/Seattle flight would be wonderful.

Anybody else with different experiences? I don't want to lose my favorite/expensive water bottle to a TSA that's having a particular nasty day.

I travel with a water bottle all the time. Mine is nalgene, though, widemouth so you can fill it with ice easily. Just carry it through empty...make sure it is IN your carryin...one time I had it in my hand and they wanted to count it as my carryon! EM

One other thing to point out to you that we noticed on NCL, at least: they have signs asking that you not fill up your water bottles at the water serving stations in the buffet. I think this is for health reasons.

I just fill up a plastic glass, then move a few feet away and fill my water bottle. No one's complained about that. Just thought you'd like to know.

--Michael

One other thing to point out to you that we noticed on NCL, at least: they have signs asking that you not fill up your water bottles at the water serving stations in the buffet. I think this is for health reasons.

I just fill up a plastic glass, then move a few feet away and fill my water bottle. No one's complained about that. Just thought you'd like to know.

--Michael

Princess has a similar sign.

Hi NH,

We are from ME...we always travel with our water bottles. I usually pack ours in our checked luggage and fill them with almonds or nuts. When we arrive, we empty them into zip bags and have our bottles for on the ship and on shore excursions.

Poster is correct in that you cannot have them with liquids on the plane. Remember also that if you do fill them and try to board with a filled one they may check for liquor as well.

Have a great cruise. The water on the ship is fine.

Just wanted to be sure. So much to remember and keep track, trying to make sure I don't pull a major faux pas. Will definitely count on "step away from the filling station," in my routine. Hard to beat the water from our 450ft+well, though. Ship water is like FLA water, warm I hear?

Hey, ME. Our son is at Unity finishing up his Jr. year. His personal specialty is friction fire and shelters. Love visiting him up they-yah.

Thanks again, Deb

Hi NH,

We are from ME...we always travel with our water bottles. I usually pack ours in our checked luggage and fill them with almonds or nuts. When we arrive, we empty them into zip bags and have our bottles for on the ship and on shore excursions.

Poster is correct in that you cannot have them with liquids on the plane. Remember also that if you do fill them and try to board with a filled one they may check for liquor as well.

Have a great cruise. The water on the ship is fine.

You can carry filled water bottles (or other liquids) onto the plane. You can't carry them thru security, but you can fill them after security. Boarding the plane they do not look for liquids and don't care about alcohol.

I have two empty plastic water bottles (one on each side of my back pack) when I go through Security; then, I fill them at a drinking fountain.

I pack three or four more empties for use on the cruise...........and I put them into the recycle bin before packing to come home and I have more room for my souvenirs!

I fill them with water at the buffet and keep them in the refrig. in my cabin so they're ready for going ashore.:p

I have two empty plastic water bottles (one on each side of my back pack) when I go through Security; then, I fill them at a drinking fountain.

I pack three or four more empties for use on the cruise...........and I put them into the recycle bin before packing to come home and I have more room for my souvenirs!

I fill them with water at the buffet and keep them in the refrig. in my cabin so they're ready for going ashore.:p

We do the same thing.

Paul,

You are right. Going through TSA is where water bottles are checked. I meant filled water bottles when you board on the ship. That is where I've heard they check for possible alcohol. OOPS...

Deb,

Small world...our son went to Unity back in 2002-4 and majored in forestry. Small world we live in!

Have a great cruise!

I happen to work for the TSA and I can assure you that you can bring empty water bottles through security. No problem. Also, those little bottles of alcohol fill a quart size bag nicely. They count as liquid(of course) but, they can go through. I've seen it. No one ever said that the liquids HAD to be shampoo or tooth paste!

I happen to work for the TSA and I can assure you that you can bring empty water bottles through security. No problem. Also, those little bottles of alcohol fill a quart size bag nicely. They count as liquid(of course) but, they can go through. I've seen it. No one ever said that the liquids HAD to be shampoo or tooth paste!

Thanks for the confirmation

Thank you for your input. Considering shipping with some other essentials to be 100% sure. But having it on the LONG Baltimore/Seattle flight would be wonderful.

Anybody else with different experiences? I don't want to lose my favorite/expensive water bottle to a TSA that's having a particular nasty day.

I haven't had any problems carrying an empty bottle through security at the airport, then filling it and carrying it aboard the plane.

However, in going through security to board the ship, even though most times I can take water aboard in my water bottle, I did have a security agent one time who made me empty the water from the bottle before I could go through. I was able to keep the bottle though and it was just a plain water bottle, not a special one. So you should be fine.

Hi NH,

you cannot have them with liquids on the plane. ...

If you fill the bottle after you are in the secure area there is no problem with carrying a water bottle onto the plane and drinking from it on the plane. We do it all the time, so maybe a plastic bottle would be better for the flight than a fancy one.

Thanks so much for your reply and assurance. Hope you're on duty when I come through. A friend once had a sealed can of spinach confiscated when he was flying out with my son on a wilderness backpacking expedition to AZ. We laughed big time and took it back home with us.:D Wouldn't be laughin if it was my kleencanteen.:(

Paul,

You are right. Going through TSA is where water bottles are checked. I meant filled water bottles when you board on the ship. That is where I've heard they check for possible alcohol. OOPS...

Unless it's a warm day and the lemonade's been in there too long, we should be OK there!!

Deb,

Small world...our son went to Unity back in 2002-4 and majored in forestry. Small world we live in! He's renting on Unity pond, gorgeous!!! And boy do we love the Common Ground Fair. LOTS of water bottles to be seen there for sure!!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much for responding; and we WILL be having the time of our lives!!

I've flown domestically and internationally with brand new water bottles filled with water and still sealed but I was travelling with children. we go through security, they tell me to open it, they put a strip of something near the opening but not on the opening of the bottle to make sure it is nothing chemical. the magic word is "FOR THE CHILDREN". My kids are 3 and 4 so they are right there next to me trying to put their shoes on. FOR THE CHILDREN. Security actually said, I'm glad you said that FOR THE CHILDREN. It takes a few mins longer but we still have fresh bottled water. BTW...this only works if you are travelling with children.:)

We also travel with empty stainless steel water bottles and that isn't a problem.

Archived