Is this a new HAL tile ??

GmaPajama

Wow!! We were just on the Veendam in February for our 28th HAL cruise and didn't receive any tiles. We assumed that they discontinued that program.

Did you go to the Mariners' Luncheon? Frequently they are given out there.

Did you go to the Mariners' Luncheon? Frequently they are given out there.

Hmm, mine has always been on my bed with the canvas HAL tote bag on the last night of the cruise. I'm not sure I've ever attended the Mariner's luncheon.

Hmm, mine has always been on my bed with the canvas HAL tote bag on the last night of the cruise. I'm not sure I've ever attended the Mariner's luncheon.

My DH and I will also be on the Ryndam in May. I've been checking the Roll Calls for our date, but so far nothing. Guess I'll have to start one. Have a great cruise!!

Just got back from the Noordam and got the same tile - it is the 2010 tiile... Remember this series is based on Poster adds from days past, so it is an original replica of an add...

It is lovely! I was lucky and got 2 because some did not come to the mariners lunch ( which was delicious might I add!)

My DH and I will also be on the Ryndam in May. I've been checking the Roll Calls for our date, but so far nothing. Guess I'll have to start one. Have a great cruise!!

The Roll Call for the cruise we're on is listed as a Trans-Canal cruise starting April 18. :)

The Roll Call for the cruise we're on is listed as a Trans-Canal cruise starting April 18. :)

I'll go look again, last time I checked nobody had posted for weeks. I'm used to very active RC's and this one is very quiet.

Is there a place on the web to see the other 2010 tiles? Thanks.

I don't think HAL has posted the 2010 series yet.

To check, go to the website and click on Mariner Society at the bottom left of the home page. On the left side of the Mariner page that opens, click on Tiles to see the assortment offered in years past.

Wow!! We were just on the Veendam in February for our 28th HAL cruise and didn't receive any tiles. We assumed that they discontinued that program.

Dennis - Harrisburg, PA

44 Cruises done

2 Cruises booked

You can call the Mariner Society and indicate you did not get tiles on that cruise ... they should send them out to you. We did not get them on the Maasdam in November, the ship was fresh out ... I called on our return, and I had them in my mail within 3 days.

Well, this was a frustrating thread to find. :D We are going on our first HAL cruise, with friends who have sailed HAL a lot and lot it. His bday is while we are on the cruise, so I found three HAL tiles on eBay and ordered them, thinking they were great gifts. Now I find out that they get them on every cruise! I'll check with his wife to see if he has these. Otherwise, I might just have started my collection! LOL! :p

Well, I guess I'm the one dissenter here. I think the tile looks cheap and cheesy!
I agree with you. At first I thought it might be a quality-control problem (we got a bad one once) but the lettering seems unblurred.

I wish they would go back to ships or Dutch scenes.

I agree with you. At first I thought it might be a quality-control problem (we got a bad one once) but the lettering seems unblurred.

I wish they would go back to ships or Dutch scenes.

I'm with you on this. I really like my tiles that have ship names on them. I left the "ad" tile on my last ship, it's really not worth bringing home.

I'm with you on this. I really like my tiles that have ship names on them. I left the "ad" tile on my last ship, it's really not worth bringing home.

I am very happy to accept any tile they present me with. While I agree that the ones with depictions of HAL's historic and current ships are my favorites, any thing with HAL on it I like.

As for not wanting "ads".......many people like to purchase reproductions of vintage posters, and even entire books with historic advertisements.

They consider it art.

Now if the quality of the reproduction itself is poor, then that is another matter.

Just a heads up, on OSDM last week, they were handing out another tile in the 2010 series during the Mariners Brunch. It is a depiction (in HAL ad form) of what appears to be the four-masted, steam engined Maasdam II (1889-1902) with Holland-America Line written on the top. Nice one!

Just booked my first cruise with HAL....how do you get these tiles??? For sale in the gift shop??? After so many cruises ????? Would be a great souvenir !

That's one of the things that makes them so special ... they can't be bought. You'll receive one as a gift on every cruise except the first one. After that first cruise, you'll be a Mariner - and these are Mariner tiles.

Gives you something to look forward to the next time. :)

That's one of the things that makes them so special ... they can't be bought. ...............

They can be bought on eBay at times, but that's a different story;) (You're right of course; you can't buy them in stores)

Just booked my first cruise with HAL....how do you get these tiles??? For sale in the gift shop??? After so many cruises ????? Would be a great souvenir !

Here's the entire collection with the exception of the 2010s:

Click on "tiles" in the left column under the pic

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

Archived