Special Diets? (oh Lordy, not another food thread!)

mbisson

Dr decided that I've become one of the victims of high blood pressure and cholestrol. Enough so, that he put me on meds and the DASH diet (low sodium/low fat/high fiber--not exactly what I want just prior to a cruise :eek:).

I had been thinking that I would just be careful when picking off the dining menu, but in talking to my PCC he says that he can add those dietary needs to my reservation.

So here's my question-has anyone here had experience with those particular special needs diets with NCL? And what did you think of them?

Thanks-

Mongo-wondering if peewee herman had it right (the diet stuff-not the perv stuff)

From what I read, all the food is bland, so you might as well go healthy on the food and chase it with something yummy from the bar.;)

Serious note - Mongo should listen to his doctor!

ROTFL-I've heard that about the food...and worse ;)

Just start the new campaign on 5/9/10 .

After all these years of bodily abuse whats another month :D

As Fred G. Sanford would've said "this is the big one Elizabeth!"

There are heart-healthy and low-salt items indicated on the menus in the main dining room. I didn't notice this on the menus of the specialty restaurants...but I really didn't pay a lot of attention. :o

Otherwise, you can talk to the chef (or maitreD) who can sit down with you and go through the next day's menu, indicating what you should/could eat, or not.

Or...I'd probably just postpone starting the diet until you get back from your cruise.. :o

Dr decided that I've become one of the victims of high blood pressure and cholestrol. Enough so, that he put me on meds and the DASH diet (low sodium/low fat/high fiber--not exactly what I want just prior to a cruise :eek:).

I had been thinking that I would just be careful when picking off the dining menu, but in talking to my PCC he says that he can add those dietary needs to my reservation.

So here's my question-has anyone here had experience with those particular special needs diets with NCL? And what did you think of them?

Thanks-

Mongo-wondering if peewee herman had it right (the diet stuff-not the perv stuff)

I have had those conditions for years now and do not follow any special DASH Diet. What I am is sensible about what I eat, lots of veggies, salads and fruits, lean meats and fish (salmon is excellent) and I keep away from things that are high in carbohydrates like cereal and breads, pasta etc. To regulate BP and cholesterol it is usually best to lose a bit of weight if you have to much and walk for 30 minutes each day ensuring that you are beathless but not gasping for breath. Beats any diet hands down.

All in all I have found it easy to follow my diet on NCL. I allowed myself a few treats but not a problem.

I too would be interested in what the special needs dept has up it's sleeve.

I have had those conditions for years now and do not follow any special DASH Diet. What I am is sensible about what I eat, lots of veggies, salads and fruits, lean meats and fish (salmon is excellent) and I keep away from things that are high in carbohydrates like cereal and breads, pasta etc. To regulate BP and cholesterol it is usually best to lose a bit of weight if you have to much and walk for 30 minutes each day ensuring that you are beathless but not gasping for breath. Beats any diet hands down.

All in all I have found it easy to follow my diet on NCL. I allowed myself a few treats but not a problem.

I too would be interested in what the special needs dept has up it's sleeve.

Thank you...it sounds like much of what you are doing is in agreement with DASH. Oh the bright side of this, they won't hear me complain about small portions (as some do). LOL

It is important to remember that the food on NCL is described as 'inedible'.

Since you'll hafta bring decent food from home, it would seem that you won't really encounter a problem staying with the new diet.

It is important to remember that the food on NCL is described as 'inedible'.

Since you'll hafta bring decent food from home, it would seem that you won't really encounter a problem staying with the new diet.

Note to self--prepare meals, put in blender, set to liquefy, put meal inside rum runner, smuggle meal onto ship & enjoy ;)

Funny you post this my Doctor wanted me to do some blood work the week after our cruise until I told him we were going on a cruise and he decided that I needed it ASAP. Guess he figured the results would be so far off after the cruise. I asked about the results and he said to call him after the cruise and he would let me know. Guess he didn't want to ruin the cruise.

Funny you post this my Doctor wanted me to do some blood work the week after our cruise until I told him we were going on a cruise and he decided that I needed it ASAP. Guess he figured the results would be so far off after the cruise. I asked about the results and he said to call him after the cruise and he would let me know. Guess he didn't want to ruin the cruise.

I had one blood work last week and he scheduled another for a couple weeks after the cruise (and I have to go in a couple times for BP checks before the cruise-trying to check to see if the meds are working or need adjusting).

I hope yours come out normal (or at least acceptable)

Thanks-

My hubby had his "low salt" needs applied to our last reservation. He could submit special requests a day in advance, by specifying his entree selection(s).

We certainly understood this, since many things are prepared in advance; seasoning, marinade, sauces, etc., but found that would be a bit of a hassle. So he was merely careful with his selections when ordering off the menu and asked for sauces on the side. He made out just fine.

thanks Barb-that helps a lot :)

I wondered just how it worked--and I may well just go with the route you guys did

You're welcome. Be sure to say "No added salt" too when ordering, for cases when they season as it's prepared.

Paul's doctor also prescribed "what to do" if his BP shot up during the cruise, to try and avoid unnecessary medical care.

The low cholesterol stuff is a pain. Being a 'saucy kind of gal" myself, I understand your dilemma and take Lipitor for mine. Thankfully, my BP is low.

thanks Barb-that helps a lot :)

I wondered just how it worked--and I may well just go with the route you guys did

I'd say welcome to the club but you probably don't want to join us as much as we don't want to be here!!!! That BP and all that good stuff does finally catch up when we hit that certain age, doesn't it?

The Cooking Light has been discontinued. You can however, put in for a low sodium diet. They can do this for you in MDR but not in the specialty restaurants.

There is a ton of salt in restaurant food and in processed food. Anytime I find myself at a restaurant, I always ask the server to ask the kitchen staff to refrain from adding any additional salt to my selections.

It was very hard for me to cut back on salt. Some things that helped me were garlic, limes, and hot pepper flakes. I was squeezin' limes on everything at first!!!! I hope it goes very well for you.

The low cholesterol stuff is a pain. Being a 'saucy kind of gal" myself, I understand your dilemma and take Lipitor for mine. Thankfully, my BP is low.

Lisinopril for me (& Zocor for the BP)--the pills would be better served in a creamy cheese sauce

I too am a sauce fan... (or at least I was-LOL)

My wife & I spent much of the weekend going thru cookbooks--I think we found some 'keepers' :)

I'd say welcome to the club but you probably don't want to join us as much as we don't want to be here!!!! That BP and all that good stuff does finally catch up when we hit that certain age, doesn't it?

I'm still working on the secret handshake. Does it end with two fist bumps and a hand squeeze or is it just one fist bump? (thanks for the tips on cutting back salt)

I believe the Cooking Light association has been discontinued. Not to say you cannot find lighter dishes.

PE

That's too bad - although I must admit when I saw some menus with the Cooking Light entrees I wasn't sure those would be the ones I would choose! :D

Lisinopril for me (& Zocor for the BP)--the pills would be better served in a creamy cheese sauce

I too am a sauce fan... (or at least I was-LOL)

My wife & I spent much of the weekend going thru cookbooks--I think we found some 'keepers' :)

Those are the meds Paul takes. With a modified diet, Zocor did the deed quite well.

Surprisingly there's tasty sauces that can be made using low-fat or non-fat yogurt. :) But unless you start making most things at home, store bought products usually over compensate with one enemy for another, like higher fat for reduced salt or visa versa.

It's a challenge, but you can do it!

Don't worry Mongo, it may not be as tough as you think since all the food is bland.:p

FYI, there is a med for high cholesterol and high BP in one pill. It may not be for everyone but it's one less pill to take so ask your Dr. about it.

Here's a good tip for yogurt ... spend the extra 25 or 30 cents and get Greek nonfat plain yogurt. Its thick and creamy, hard to believe how low it is in fat and calories. You can come up with a heck of a sauce/marinade with this stuff by adding some lime juice, garlic, and a good shake of whatever you like such as cumin or hot pepper flakes or oregano. Another great item (has been for me) is plain soymilk. The only good thing about what Barb was saying about store bought items is that it keeps me very much employed. Its ironic that after years of specializing in heart healthy food, I came up with high BP and cholestrol. Course, I think it works better when you eat it all the time and don't just cook it all the time :D

Archived