Special Diets? (oh Lordy, not another food thread!)

mbisson

Important question, did the doctor say anything about the Friday night pub crawl I have planned?

I hope you are not my designated walker! :D

He told me more exercise is a good thing--so that works for me :) (of course it's suppose to be a fast walk-I hope you keep up LOL)

Ah Monte, as much as I want to come up with something funny, I just want to give you a big hug and tell you it will be okay because you are doing your research and it looks like you are going to take some action. I give you 100% credit where credit is due. I know a few who find out stuff and then do nothing about it which breaks my heart. Do not forget to add dancing or walking the promenade at sunrise/sunset into your new plan. Best wishes sweetie!

coka

Dr decided that I've become one of the victims of high blood pressure and cholestrol. Enough so, that he put me on meds and the DASH diet (low sodium/low fat/high fiber--not exactly what I want just prior to a cruise :eek:).

I had been thinking that I would just be careful when picking off the dining menu, but in talking to my PCC he says that he can add those dietary needs to my reservation.

So here's my question-has anyone here had experience with those particular special needs diets with NCL? And what did you think of them?

Thanks-

Mongo-wondering if peewee herman had it right (the diet stuff-not the perv stuff)

what a bummer; I can't think of much worse than to have all the good stuff rationed!!! I hope you can stick with it. When hubby first was diagnosed with acutally heart trouble, 25 years ago we were so good, walked 2 miles a day, ate everything healthy including egg plant and plastic eggs, he even learned to snack on rice cakes. I am sad to say, those days are gone, we are still careful but not to that extreme. yes, we both take cholestral meds and are on some blond pressure meds as well (just a little bit) We are lucky, neither of us has really high [bP. Anyway, enough about us, yes, you can expect NCL to go out of their way to address your diatary needs. Good luck to you. We actually pretty much follow MYPleasure's way of eating.

Nita

My father has been diagnosed with both your health issues, OP. He was told that if his B.P. or sodium levels are too high when he does a check he needs to eat a banana. It will bring down the sodium levels (i think that is how it works) and help reduce B.P.

Grab one off the buffet and keep it in your stateroom if you think your levels are high. (No, don't put it in your pocket...:D:D)

Good luck and happy dining!

My father has been diagnosed with both your health issues, OP. He was told that if his B.P. or sodium levels are too high when he does a check he needs to eat a banana. It will bring down the sodium levels (i think that is how it works) and help reduce B.P.

Grab one off the buffet and keep it in your stateroom if you think your levels are high. (No, don't put it in your pocket...:D:D)

Good luck and happy dining!

Ooooooo. There's about a 1/2 dozen jokes in there somewhere!

Ah..Monte...you can do it !!! Sorry it is a double wammy...(with me just BP...)...and I do love my salt!-BUT- I also am trying to use more pepper and lemon....love those too!

Yes-- I think the Pub Crawl would be an approved part of an exercise program..:D--

Science has got to perfect the tofu dog ;)

they did. tofu stuff is actually pretty tasty. Get 'tofu' ground beef, and add to pasta sauce.... pour over whole wheat pasta....delicious & not bad for you.

tofu burgers & dogs are both almost as good as the real thing....but in both cases, make sure you use whole wheat buns. For weight control, the meat isn't the problem...it's the bread.

Quaker makes a line of Rice Cakes.... like caramel chocolate, or white cheddar flavor..... 50 cals per cake, and they're filling.

Just bring along a couple of packs, and have one when a craving (hunger) comes along.

they did. tofu stuff is actually pretty tasty. Get 'tofu' ground beef, and add to pasta sauce.... pour over whole wheat pasta....delicious & not bad for you.

tofu burgers & dogs are both almost as good as the real thing....but in both cases, make sure you use whole wheat buns. For weight control, the meat isn't the problem...it's the bread.

Quaker makes a line of Rice Cakes.... like caramel chocolate, or white cheddar flavor..... 50 cals per cake, and they're filling.

Just bring along a couple of packs, and have one when a craving (hunger) comes along.

that depends on your taste buds and how much you like the REAL THING,,,

Nita LOL

that depends on your taste buds and how much you like the REAL THING,,,

Nita LOL

See.... you have to disguise the beef imposters by covering them up with sauces or lots of condiments! I did that with turkey dogs, I think they use too much smoke flavour to spice up the bland meat, then I had to add a ton of onions and relish to soften the smoke taste. Chili made with ground turkey is pretty good though! I guess its because the chili powder predominates all spices. Watch out for the salt content though.....:mad:

Go to the bar and get a celery stick instead of one of those cardboardy rice cakes, fewer calories too! :D

:eek:

I am reminded of the biz-wine smuggling thread and the absolutely classic

'Some of them aren't so bad'.

:eek:

It's Alex Karras as Mongo from the movie 'Blazing Saddles'

If you want some fantastic low carbohydrate recipes - Google: Kaylyns Kitchen South Beach recipes - great recipes and very tasty. I have been able to bring down all my levels to "ideal" within 4 months and I am a diabetic taking no medication. Cholestrol - all measures also ideal.:)

Archived