Miami Holiday Inn Downtown Hotel

Geethree

My sister and I stayed there....it was fine. It's a good location, very close to the port and right across the street from the Bayside Marketplace. There are grocery and drug stores within walking distance for those last-minute items. We would have no qualms about staying there again.

IMO, it's a dump. It's way overpriced, dirty, nasty, unsafe area after dark, close to the Bayside Marketplace which is, apparently, a "selling point" and I don't know why...

There are a lot better areas of beautiful Miami to stay in. If you haven't booked yet, please do some more research on the available hotels. Feel free to check the Florida Departures board, which is where this thread may get moved to, anyway.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You asked. :p

The Holiday Inn is a dump. Elevators are unsafe, the hotel is not clean, and the food is overpriced and tastes terrible.:eek:

Did I cover it all?

Seriously - I'm hoping people continue to stay here so rooms at the other hotels remain available at prices that are less than the Holiday Inn. :p

we stayed there 1 night pre-cruise in january and it was PERFECTLY FINE ...our room was one on the top floors with a view of the port and right across from BAYSIDE (which i found FUN to shop and walk around at and to eat at Bubba Gumps)we were there in the evening and felt okay about walking around and walking back across the street and down a block or two to the CVS...we saw several police officers or security...never saw any transients.

....we only ate breakfast there in the morning and the food was just fine--enough til we could get on the ship for some lunch...

found the room clean and spacious and the staff helpful....didnt experience or see some of the OTHER that was reported here....

we would stay there again if needed...definitely for a precruise night

was quick and easy by taxi to the port in the morn too.

We stayed at the Intercontinental on the same side as the Bayside Marketplace and it was great. Very safe, clean, convenient and friendly. Plus all the attractions at the Marketplace are only a short walk away. It's safe to stay at this hotel.

Hmmmm....I find the negative comments interesting. My sister and I are both over 60 and NEVER felt unsafe either in or around the hotel. We walked to the nearby drug store for last minute items and had no problems and I don't recall seeing any transients. There seemed to be mostly business-type people from the offices in the area. The most unsafe I felt was trying to cross the street to the Bayside Marketplace!

We had breakfast at the buffet and it was good...nice selection of standard hotel fare. No, I probably would not stay there for an entire vacation because of the downtown location and lack of amenities (there's a small swimming pool, but that's about all), but for one night either pre- or post-cruise I would stay there again.

I'll provide more information concerning my negative comments.

I'll also state that the last time I stayed there was in 2006, and I will not stay there again.

I had booked directly with the hotel about 10 months in advance. When we arrived, we waited, and waited, and then we waited for a room. I finally asked what the problem was since we had a pre-paid reservation, and was told they were waiting to see if they had a room for us or not :eek:. Also I am a priority club member, but that didn't make any difference to them.

Finally got a room about 4:30 pm. Breakfast at this hotel was pricey, and frankly not worth half of what we paid. Food was cold when served. Again, they didn't seem to care. One of the elevators was not working, so the one remaining elevator was quite a wait. I understand this is a very common problem. Many reports of people getting stuck in the elevator when it decides to quit working. (check trip advisor).

We also stayed here post cruise, and when we went to bed that evening, the sheets were filthy. No, not just dirty, FILTHY. I slept in my clothes on top of the sheets. I did report all of these items to the hotel, as well as on a survey I received later.

We went down the street behind the hotel for breakfast at McDonalds, and that was an adventure. Many homeless folks along the way looking for handouts. It's just part of staying in this location.

Since then, we have stayed at the Intercontinental just down the street. I can stay there for sometimes half the cost of the dumpy HI, and have a nice room, with nice staff who understand what a reservation is. In the future, I think we will probably stay in Coral Gables, or go over to South Beach when sailing from Miami.

That's my experience, y.m.m.v.

Glad to hear some people love it because that means there will be rooms available at the better hotels!:D

I stayed there the night before my first cruise several years ago. I didn't feel unsafe at all!

Was the room like a Marriott? No, but it was clean and neat. We had a bayfront room so we could see the ships when we got up the next morning.

Like others have said, I probably wouldn't spend a whole vacation there, but for a night pre or post cruise it is a good option for those who are on a budget.

<snip> it is a good option for those who are on a budget.

That's part of my point! You can stay in NICER hotels for LESS money. I just don't understand the draw this flea-bag place has on people! :eek::D

...for a night pre or post cruise it is a good option for those who are on a budget.

That was my point earlier, April - I can't endorse this hotel as a 'budget" hotel in any way. It's the closest hotel to the POM and therefore, people want to stay there for convenience sake. The rooms are horribly overpriced. This is not a budget hotel. It's just not.

Wow...i always heard nothing but good reviews for this hotel...im surprised about the neg comments....

Where have you been reading (or not reading)? Tripadvisor regularly has negative reviews, not to mention all the people who post on the Florida Departures board who do not recommend this place.

beccafries, congratulations on your weight loss. :)

That was my point earlier, April - I can't endorse this hotel as a 'budget" hotel in any way. It's the closest hotel to the POM and therefore, people want to stay there for convenience sake. The rooms are horribly overpriced. This is not a budget hotel. It's just not.

Where have you been reading (or not reading)? Tripadvisor regularly has negative reviews, not to mention all the people who post on the Florida Departures board who do not recommend this place.

beccafries, congratulations on your weight loss. :)

I've seen some post like a few months ago that said they always

stayed there etc....now I see more of the neg reviews now...lol

Thanks so much!! I'm trying...lol

We stayed here in January of this year and it was fine...the rooms are clean, the staff was nice, and I do think having to bayside market was a plus because it gave us plenty of dinner choices. The only down side was the breakfast "buffett" was small and pretty expensive for what was offered. We would deffinately stay here again with out hesitation. :)

We stayed here in January of this year and it was fine...the rooms are clean, the staff was nice, and I do think having to bayside market was a plus because it gave us plenty of dinner choices. The only down side was the breakfast "buffett" was small and pretty expensive for what was offered. We would deffinately stay here again with out hesitation. :)

interesting...i've been doing research and I find negative reviews on the

Intercontinental hotel as well!!.....

Hmmmm....I find the negative comments interesting. My sister and I are both over 60 and NEVER felt unsafe either in or around the hotel. We walked to the nearby drug store for last minute items and had no problems and I don't recall seeing any transients. There seemed to be mostly business-type people from the offices in the area. The most unsafe I felt was trying to cross the street to the Bayside Marketplace!

We had breakfast at the buffet and it was good...nice selection of standard hotel fare. No, I probably would not stay there for an entire vacation because of the downtown location and lack of amenities (there's a small swimming pool, but that's about all), but for one night either pre- or post-cruise I would stay there again.

linkerbink - I agree with you! My daughter and I stayed there last May for the night prior to our cruise and thought it was just fine. Would definitely stay there again for cruise. ABSOLUTELY did not feel that it was unsafe and we loved going across the street to Bayside Marketplace also. We did get a really good rate for the room also, considering Miami room rates!

Sue

Archived