Volcano??

Momma Mojito

Good morning Susan.

Scotland --- WOW! Have a great time. Is your Mom going as well? Will keep my fingers crossed that your flights are not delayed.

Question for you: Since our last flight connection is Seattle to Vancouver we won't be affected by "R" will we? Our flight will be with Horizon, not Alaska Air with a possible continuation to Alaska. Didn't think it would affect us but thought it best to check.

Karen

As a meteorologist, I can tell you if there was a MAJOR eruption, and atmospheric flow was right, it would be possible that there could be some issues even as far away as Vancouver. This is, of course, a low probability (first you need a big eruption, then the exact weather conditions), but it's not zero.

In regards to the question about travel insurance: Last March ('09) when Mt. Redoubt erupted our initial evening flight out of Anchorage was cancelled. Thankfully we were able to get out the next day (odds are better flying in daylight hours where ash clouds can be seen) but it did cause us to miss out on one of the two days we had planned in Rio prior to our Oceania cruise. We also had to overnight in Seattle before winging our way eastward.

We had Travel Guard insurance and were recouped for the hotel and food in Seattle and for the one night we missed at the hotel in Rio. I want to say the eruption was actually categorized under a weather-related circumstance. Apparently volcanic eruptions are such a rarity that there isn't a clause for it under natural disasters, lol!

We had Travel Guard insurance and were recouped for the hotel and food in Seattle and for the one night we missed at the hotel in Rio. I want to say the eruption was actually categorized under a weather-related circumstance. Apparently volcanic eruptions are such a rarity that there isn't a clause for it under natural disasters, lol!

Volcanic eruptions are defined at a natural disaster in Travel Guard policies.

“Natural Disaster” means a flood, hurricane, tornado,

earthquake, fire, wildfire, volcanic eruption, or blizzard that is due

to natural causes.

The problem is that it appears that delays would be covered but not the entire trip. It is nice to read they covered some of your expenses prior to the cruise.

Happened this time last year, actually a bit earlier, like in January for a couple of months.

Last year it was flying out to a cruise, but now I get to sit and wait as I'm due to fly out of here beginning of May for 3 weeks in Scotland...

Just your luck! Scotland is being affected by that volcano in Iceland!

Just your luck! Scotland is being affected by that volcano in Iceland!

My new motto, I think is going to be , if it ain't one volcano that's going to get me, it's another :D

It's just one of those things you can't control, so you just cross the fingers and hope :rolleyes:

Susan in Anchorage :)

I've heard that today Glasgow is open and Heathrow is closed.

Unfortunately, I'm routed through Heathrow before I go to Aberdeen. Well it's not like the first time I've had to worry about a volcano and air travel. It's just one of those things I've learned that I can't really worry about until I have to face it :D And then of course it will be :eek::eek:

Unfortunately, I'm routed through Heathrow before I go to Aberdeen. Well it's not like the first time I've had to worry about a volcano and air travel. It's just one of those things I've learned that I can't really worry about until I have to face it :D And then of course it will be :eek::eek:

Here's hoping that by the time you fly, this will all be a distant memory. Have heard some estimates that Heathrow may reopen sometime tomorrow but I imagine it all depends on the winds and a lack of further volcanic activity.:)

Here's hoping that by the time you fly, this will all be a distant memory. Have heard some estimates that Heathrow may reopen sometime tomorrow but I imagine it all depends on the winds and a lack of further volcanic activity.:)

Thanks Bill. Two weeks and a day and counting......

Archived