Volcano??

Momma Mojito

Mt. Redoubt is not a hyped up story. When it is active it can be seen from some parts of Anchorage. It is not close enough that you need to worry about being killed, but if the ash is blowing toward airplanes, it can change airline schedules and close airports.

Yes it's acting up again - Now we just sit and wait to see it it's going to settle down or start playing havoc with flight schedules if it's blowing ash.

2010-04-05 13:20:10 - Status Report

AVO raised the Aviation Color Code to YELLOW and the Volcano Alert Level to ADVISORY at Redoubt volcano this morning. A series of small repetitive earthquakes began at 01:44 AKDT (0944 UTC) this today in the vicinity of the volcano's summit. Activity is continuing this afternoon. See http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webicorders/Redoubt/RSO_EHZ_AV.php

Susan in Anchorage :)

Got my extra car air filter in the garage, just in case. Figure if it goes up another level they'll be having us cover all our electronic equipment before we go home. Amazing what you can use garbage bags for.

Thanks for all your information, We are flying into Anchorage on the 12th of May. Guess we'll just have to wait and see wait course it takes. Good luck to all of you who live in the area.

Happened this time last year, actually a bit earlier, like in January for a couple of months.

Last year it was flying out to a cruise, but now I get to sit and wait as I'm due to fly out of here beginning of May for 3 weeks in Scotland, to see if it behaves itself or not. Guess that's what I get for living on the Ring of Fire :D

I remember having a couple of web sites about Redoubt on my favorites for a couple of months last summer. Thank goodness it fizzled out before we were due to leave. There were several threads about it last year.

Hope this will be the case for the busy cruising months of 2010!:)

We're flying out the end of the month to catch an April 30 cruise departure. Does anyone know if insurance would cover the trip if they canceled the flight?

If I remember correctly from when this was happening last year when this was happening alot of people found out that their insurance wouldn't cover it. Guess it would be a question for your the insurance company to answer.

So it's you all on April 30th and me on May 1st, fingers crossed. And heck as I sit here at 8:45 p.m. it's snowing like it was February not April.

Today's snowstorm which had lasted all morning had melted by the time I drove home, is now been covered over. Shadow, my black haired dog, had been out 10 minutes and came in covered solid white.

If I remember correctly from when this was happening last year when this was happening alot of people found out that their insurance wouldn't cover it. Guess it would be a question for your the insurance company to answer.

So it's you all on April 30th and me on May 1st, fingers crossed. And heck as I sit here at 8:45 p.m. it's snowing like it was February not April.

Looks like there is a provision that provides coverage for natural disasters as long as you notify the company if the delay is more than 5 hours. I would have thought it wouldn’t be covered but this is good.

We’re over our head with this trip and don’t want any snags. If things heat up with the volcano we might go down a day or two earlier.

Good luck with your trip!

Looks like there is a provision that provides coverage for natural disasters as long as you notify the company if the delay is more than 5 hours. I would have thought it wouldn’t be covered but this is good.

We’re over our head with this trip and don’t want any snags. If things heat up with the volcano we might go down a day or two earlier.

What policy did you go with? I'm looking at insurance for my trip in June.

What policy did you go with? I'm looking at insurance for my trip in June.

Travel Guard. We’ve been using them for years since they paid 100% of a claim 10 years ago. The provision I read in the policy was for delays. Not sure if it would cover a cancelation due to a natural disaster as I didn’t read that far into the policy. Can’t be bothered with that now as we’re committed. Que Sera, Sera.

Sounds like it may cover some. Good luck to you too!

Looked at today's volcano report and looks like she's settled down some but still have small earthquakes.

Speaking of earthquakes, did you feel at about 8:20? Looked and it was a 4.69 26 miles NNE of Anchorage.

Happened this time last year, actually a bit earlier, like in January for a couple of months.

Last year it was flying out to a cruise, but now I get to sit and wait as I'm due to fly out of here beginning of May for 3 weeks in Scotland, to see if it behaves itself or not. Guess that's what I get for living on the Ring of Fire :D

Good morning Susan.

Scotland --- WOW! Have a great time. Is your Mom going as well? Will keep my fingers crossed that your flights are not delayed.

Question for you: Since our last flight connection is Seattle to Vancouver we won't be affected by "R" will we? Our flight will be with Horizon, not Alaska Air with a possible continuation to Alaska. Didn't think it would affect us but thought it best to check.

Karen

Good morning Susan.

Scotland --- WOW! Have a great time. Is your Mom going as well? Will keep my fingers crossed that your flights are not delayed.

Question for you: Since our last flight connection is Seattle to Vancouver we won't be affected by "R" will we? Our flight will be with Horizon, not Alaska Air with a possible continuation to Alaska. Didn't think it would affect us but thought it best to check.

Karen

Karen,

No Mom isn't going with me this time. She was invited but decided not to come. I'm going to spend time with friends from here that took a transfer to work there.

No, R shouldn't bother you down there on your Seattle to Vancouver part at all. We just have problems from here to the Lower 48 and vice versa if the dang ash gets up high enough and wrecks havoc with the flight paths.

Susan :)

Thanks Susan. Will continue to send good travel vibes your way. :)

Karen

Karen,

Thanks much!

Sorry, that we won't be seeing each other this year, but there's always next year :D

Susan :)

The clouds cleared out and the volcano crews are out in helicopters getting things cleaned up and taking gas measurements.

They cleaned the camera off, it is steaming.

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webcam/Redoubt_-_Hut.php

Well looks like something happened to the webcam again! It's a little slow loading but it finally did. Boy lot's of snow up there, so she's still not too hot!

Archived