Auto tip vs. cash tip

Catnip

I'm sailing on the Zuiderdam this weekend. It's been several years since I've sailed on HAL and have a question about the auto-tips.

I generally like to hand out cash tips on the last evening to the dining room staff and my room steward. Do you HAVE to do the auto tip on HAL, or can you still hand out the cash at the end of the cruise?

I know on RCCL, you can choose, but other lines like Cunard, you have to auto-tip.

Thanks for your help.

You do have a choice BUT -- HAL places a condition if you remove the Hotel Service Charge.

Should you remove that charge, your sign a form and give a reason for doing so. Then the front office notifies the various department heads -- house cleaning, dining room, etc. Your room stewards and dining room stewards are made aware of this and are instructed that any cash tip you give to them personally must be turned in and all that cash you have goven them personally is divided among ALL the crew members. They are not permitted to keep any of it. How honest are they?? I would say that most are very honest as they do not want to lose their jobs.

We keep the Hotel Service Charge in place and tip extra to those who have made our cruise an enjoyable one.

This information is the same as we were told on my last cruise. It doesn't help the stewards or waiters any to be put in this position. I did the same....left the auto-tip in place and handed out smaller amounts to those who had served me especially well.

With the auto-tip in place, do the staff members to whom you give extra amounts get to keep it or do they have to pool it?

Yes - those individuals that you give extra tip money to do get to keep that money -- they are not required to put it into a pool to be shared by others.

Just leave the auto tip in place. If you remove it, the various department heads are notified and inquiries are made regarding sub standard service.

We always add extra cash for the cabin steward and waiters in addition to the auto tip. Even if you add a small amount, it is better than removing the auto tip.

An additional way to show extra "thanks", which is also greatly appreciated, is to mention the person by name on the Comment Card.

When I have asked staff for the proper spelling of their complete name so I could do this, the reaction was better than when I gave extra cash. :) And that was warmly accepted.

I'm sailing on the Zuiderdam this weekend. It's been several years since I've sailed on HAL and have a question about the auto-tips.

I generally like to hand out cash tips on the last evening to the dining room staff and my room steward. Do you HAVE to do the auto tip on HAL, or can you still hand out the cash at the end of the cruise?

I know on RCCL, you can choose, but other lines like Cunard, you have to auto-tip.

Thanks for your help.

If you ask to have the auto tip removed and then you tip only your room steward and your dining room waiters, then you are depriving all the rest of those in the pool of their share. There are 'open seating' waiters and behind-the-scene folks who also share in the 'tips' pool and you won't be including them if you remove the auto gratuity.

By all means you should feel free to tip extra the last evening as you describe. We have never left a ship without thanking those who have taken such good care of us. Anything over and above the hotel service charge is always greatly appreciated.

With the auto-tip in place, do the staff members to whom you give extra amounts get to keep it or do they have to pool it?

I always write a Thank You note and enclose extra money for those who have been great..................and put our cabin number in the "return address" area..............because we've been told they have to turn it in if we have removed ourselves from the Auto Tip. If they don't and it's found out, "they lose their job." Who'd want to lose their job and have to get off and fly home over tip money?:confused:

Before I knew that, the Maitre d' came over and asked us our cabin number once; I guess he'd seen us give our Head Waiter an envelope.

Archived