15 cruise ships-As much pollution as 760m cars

Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world’s biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world’s 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.

so for all you people out there taking a holiday on a Cruise Ship... just have a think at what you are doing to the world. :cool:

I saw this on another, general messageboard. The man who posted it knows very well I (and another friend on that board) have been on a cruise before and have booked another.

I know he has also considered a cruise in the future with his wife.:)

I just told him I don't fly or drive that far so I am getting in for my bit of pollution while I still can. LOL

But seriously, I had not realised cruise ships or other big ships were worse than all the cars in the world.

I think this could be an even bigger issue than-wait for this-tipping.:eek:

(heresy, I know, but it COULD be!!)

It begs the question.

-Does anyone know what is happening in the industry to improve this?

-Does it mean ships are really bad, or does it mean cars aren't as bad as has been made out?

Any thoughts or comments?

Hmmmm - I wouldn't think there would be much credibility in that statement.:)

Firstly, what is the official source, and where are their figures to back up such an outlandish statement?

Now if we just stop and think that wild statement through and maybe accept that just 15 ships contribute more pollution than all the cars in the world - what do the other thousands of ships travelling the world's oceans do? :eek:

If they polluted as bad as these awful 15 ships:D I doubt if there would be one square inch on earth that wasn't badly polluted by smog.:p

I love the bit about "confidential data from an inside source." :rolleyes:

-Does anyone know what is happening in the industry to improve this?

Unfortunately, what I've heard from the industry is they're doing anything to resist improvements. The US EPA are introducing a buffer zone to reduce pollutants around their ports, and this has been resisted and argued against by the cruise industry. Fortunately (in my view) it's still looking likely to pass.

In the early part of the decade, there had been moves towards lower emission/less harmful engines, but they weren't entirely successful and so lines went back to the old sources. While they do try to cut down on consumption for obvious financial reasons, cleanliness has not appeared to be a major concern.

Just think of the pollution that comes out of the airline industry - has anybody see those live displays of airline traffic around the world at any given time - mind boggling!!

But it will all be "self regulating" eventually - when the oil runs out!! :)

Barry

Just think of the pollution that comes out of the airline industry - has anybody see those live displays of airline traffic around the world at any given time - mind boggling!!

Barry

I agree with you. Water vapour emitted by aircraft is a major cause of greenhouse warming. In the several days after the September 11 event in New York, no planes flew in much of the world and scientists monitoring the atmosphere reported an amazing difference. No-one is trying to stop aircraft flying because it isn't a realistic aim, but they can pick on the ordinary poor suckers who drive cars by whopping on big taxes and now they are going for shipping.

On an aside, I had a laugh at all the Government reps (104 from Aust) who flew to Copenhagen to discuss measures to stop climate change. Copenhagen didn't have enough limos for them to be chauffered around in so extra vehicles had to be brought in (driven) from other countries in Europe. What did they achieve other than adding to the pollution in the atmosphere? Sorry for getting on my soapbox. :)

"Just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars"

The article from 12 months ago states biggest ships with 2300 tons engines as the possible culprits, not cruise ships.

Thanks for that link, as I had no idea where the quote had come from.

Like austraveller, I too had to laugh when govt reps flew overseas, were driven around in big cars, then would like to tell all the rest of us what we should be doing to cut back. It is do as I say, not do as I do, isn't it!!

Like most people, I suppose, I would like to see all cars, ships, planes improved so they polluted less.

I noticed it was mentioned the ships with engines over 2300 were the main culprits. What size are cruise ship engines, usually? I have no idea!

Archived