Worst Dressed -Solstice 3/28 - 4/4

Gustavas

This is a candid review. It is purely subjective from my considerable years and experience in cruising. It is my opinion. I don't intend to offend anyone nor do I expect all to agree. I do believe, however, that there are still a few of us left out there who have noticed all this and agree. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Sailed Solstice again this year same week. An Elite Member, my review from last year still applies this year. For those interested in this very detailed and departmental review, please feel free. It is a review of praise. It's entitled

"SOLSTICE 4/5/09 The Evolution of Celebrity"

This year however, I opted to try the long heralded Aqua Class. It is not, in my opinion worth the extra and the service is no different than Concierge Class but bears the same tipping rates. Deck 11 midship is fine but tends to allow thumps, sounds of heels running and chair scrapes from above. When we checked in, there was only one bathrobe in our stateroom, our attendant corrected it after we told him.

The dining in Blu was a let down for us. Both food and service was spotty, slow and in no way impressed. We had pre-booked Murano three times and that never failed to surpass our expectations. Always Murano impressed in presentation, food and service. Miles beyond Blu.

Some things I've noticed as an Elite member is that being on that level really means very little anymore. The perks are very few, at the wrong times and really a marketing approach at baiting for one to spend more. Cunard gives loads of onboard credit, TA or no TA. Celebrity gives 10% off this and 20% off that and a load of worthless coupons if you buy this, we'll give you that on Thursdays between 4-6 if it's not a port day and if it's not 48 hours prior to voyage end and on and on. You can only order certain labels at Michael's Club for Elite Member complimentary cocktails.

RCCL has definitely forced their operations style onto Celebrity more and more over the years. A mass market cruise company that bought Celebrity from the Chandris family. It shows now with a particular regard to saving the company money and loosening the reigns on old traditions. Appealing to a broader base like.... Oasis of the Seas. (A nighmare come into being).

Example: 90 minutes free internet coupon for Elite members. Used it once in stateroom and was charged $36.00 for 55 minutes. Charge never removed. Went to guest relations, they said I have to buy the package. The coupon does not say that I have to buy the package, it says 90 minutes free internet for Elite members. Spoke to Elite Captain's Club hostess Zofia, she said she'd look into it. Charge never removed.

No more personal invitations under the door to Elite events. No more bellboys to deliver stateroom breakfast, (they make your steward do it) like he has time for that with making up corridors of rooms and stopping to deliver breakfasts at various requested times. Very noticable. You just didn't feel special or appreciated the way you once did as an Elite member. Why ? Because the formal old guard is gone. Just the uniform is there being worn by the board room.

The crowd onboard was a totally different crowd throughout. Loaded with first time cruisers. Oceanview cafe buffets were a football tackle most of the time. Like rush hour in LA or yellow cabs in Manhattan. Crazy folk cutting other people off to get to the pasta station with multiple plates filled to the brim.

It seemed like Carnival, NCL and RCCL unloaded onto our decks. After a life time of sailing the Celebrity brand, I can honestly say that this cruise, in particular, was absolutely the worst dressed I have ever seen. Some of the worst dressed men and women on formal nights (or any other night) that I have witnessed on ANY ship at ANY time of the year. Did no one teach these people ? Several ship employees I knew also noticed this in brief muted conversations.

Add to that hoards upon hoards of kids, stollers, teens and totlers holding two ice cream cones jambing into the elevators, playing on the elevators while dozens of regular Joes and their monsterously huge families dominated and stampeded their way everywhere. Very, very little adherance to formality, respect, decorum or dress codes. You had mainstream America at the local Mall on a Saturday. I have to go to sea to witness this ?

On formal night one could literally count the tuxedos and gowns on one hand. Horrible. Flip-flops, t-shirts, torn jeans, shorts galore, guys wearing baseball caps in dining rooms at dinner, groups of teen boys with pants hanging off their rear ends listening to walkmans and MP3's in some strange ode to hiphop culture....... and the girls who well.....left nothing to the imagination.

Yes I know, I know, Spring Break, discount online travel agencies and seasonal sales tend to bring this out at sea, but never in my experience on a Celebrity ship. I know that a longer cruise, a luxury line or a European destination would change all this but I chose an old favorite. I assure you it wasn't at all like this years ago.

Why must one only sail Silversea, Oceania and Cunard to have people dress and carry themselves as ladies and gentlemen. Oh and btw, the caviar menu is gone at the Martini bar area on deck 4. They're not promoting that anymore and it has nothing to do with endangered species but with endangered profits and a different crowd.

With the exception of all the above, believe it or not, I honestly did have a great cruise as always and these things didn't ruin my time because I am a huge Celebrity fan. Food and service is still generally great and Labadee was a paradise. So no harm intended.

However, this is cruise "critic" and yes, I have some criticism. Again if you want the far more flattering Solstice review in more detail (wrote it last year) same time, please read it.

In conclusion, I've just notice the very slow, gradual but steady changes, the more affordable rates, the bigger ships, the cost cutting efforts toward cheaper and greater profit and the demographic changes on what was once (in the early 1990's) a serious member of the upper premium market with world class gourmet reputation (just one notch below the luxury market).

So definitely never again during Spring break. I've booked Queens Grill on QM2 again for next year and looking into the new Eclipse for early December 2010. School's NOT out then, Christmas break is week's away then, large families stay at home, prices much higher and we can eat at Murano every night with fellow formally dressed passengers and perhaps even try the new Q-zine restaurant for a difference.

Bon Voyage,

Gustavas

You are correct, everyone is entitled to their opinion. We, on the other hand think that the elite benefits are great and use them all the time when we cruise. We signed up for the 90 minutes each of free internet as required on the coupon and received it without problem or question. We both took advantage of the free laundry and pressing coupons and REALLY enjoyed the 4:00 - 6:00 cocktails and snacks served nightly. We did receive invitation to elite events. In this day and age, with the price of oil increasing daily, and the surcharge not yet added on, we feel that the benefits are now very generous.

We also LOVED Blu, thought the food and service were well above par and will always book Aqua Class when we travel on S Class ships.

One lesson that we did learn the hard way a few years back, is that is is best to avoid spring and winter break if you want to avoid hoards of children on any cruise line. It is difficult for us as my partner is a teacher, so we have to cruise when we are able.

I am sure there will be many posts on this topic, both positive and negative, but we, for two think that Aqua Class and Blu are GREAT, and Celebrity is doing a great job rewarding frequent cruisers.

Unfortunately Celebrity didn't live up to your expectations...but cruising during the Spring Break season, and a cruise for just 7 days, does have it's issues. The demographics do vary from cruise to cruise, and length of cruise is a big factor.

I kinda agree with this post about the dress code! I sailed the Celebrity Solstice this same week last year (spring break) and this year.

Kids were dressed fine but some of the older teen girls were dressed with everything hanging out and very, very short. We noticed it the most on formal nights. Also noticed a few men wearing loud shirts all week, sometimes the same one. (Was not prevalent last year.)

Loved my cruise and again the service and food were excellent. Again, the MDR had beautiful food and gracious service. As long as we looked good, we chose to ignore the rude manners of some guests and what they were wearing. BUT there was a difference in this year's crowd vs. last year for some reason. Don looked hot though!

I respect the OP's position and I believe it is a matter of 'expectations'. If you have sailed on multiple cruises and they have all been a certain way, adequately dressed pax behaving in a reasonably decorous manner, then I think it is logical to expect your next cruise to be similar. Obviously this cruise was a big change for the OP.

Heaven knows I am not the best dressed person on the planet, but I do know how to dress apropos of the situation. Some people do not possess this ability. Just look at any church on Sunday, or the last 3 funerals I attended, where jeans and t-shirts seemed to be the order of the day, for an 84 year old woman's final sendoff! When was it decided that this was appropriate attire for EVERY occasion??

All of the above snarky comments aside, I do believe one should be able to expect parents to control their children's behavior, not letting them run wild or play on the elevators, dress appropriately for the occasion, etc. But I also think that you are asking for trouble cruising the Caribbean during spring break if you are offended by bad manners and disrespectful passengers.

Cathy

I respect the OP's position and I believe it is a matter of 'expectations'. If you have sailed on multiple cruises and they have all been a certain way, adequately dressed pax behaving in a reasonably decorous manner, then I think it is logical to expect your next cruise to be similar. Obviously this cruise was a big change for the OP.

Heaven knows I am not the best dressed person on the planet, but I do know how to dress apropos of the situation. Some people do not possess this ability. Just look at any church on Sunday, or the last 3 funerals I attended, where jeans and t-shirts seemed to be the order of the day, for an 84 year old woman's final sendoff! When was it decided that this was appropriate attire for EVERY occasion??

All of the above snarky comments aside, I do believe one should be able to expect parents to control their children's behavior, not letting them run wild or play on the elevators, dress appropriately for the occasion, etc. But I also think that you are asking for trouble cruising the Caribbean during spring break if you are offended by bad manners and disrespectful passengers.

Cathy

The only passengers that were disrespectful were the adults in the theatre trying to save seats, and they were also the ones that didn't know how to dress for dinner. And the person I saw playing on the elevator was the drunk guy from Seattle! (very drunk) Startled my teens! The little kids were fine. The only time I saw kids running around was during a scavenger hunt outside in the pool area and they were polite!

The ship was full but we found many quiet spots throughout the ship.

I took my Grandson and DIL on a Spring Break cruise (ie: 7 day/my first SHORT cruise) and was shocked at the "dress" if you could call it that.................the kids were fun to watch but many of their parents looked as if they slept in their "shorts/tee shirts/flip flops" and were re-wearing them.

In the buffet twice, I saw people in pjs with robes over them..........barefoot.:confused:

Am sure the "ships" won't speak to these people regarding their lack of self-respect...............they're paying customers.

I have never taken a short cruise with any Cruise Line. The shortest ever was 10 days and that was in Europe and the Caribbean.

On the issue of dress yes many more people are dressing down with X themselves changing from informal to smart casual or above. I always to dress above as I have all the dresses etc so why not wear them. I am not too bothered what others wear.

Room service breakfast I like it when my Steward brings this and see it as a plus. October last year was the first time for a number of years that my Steward and I thought he gave me the best service ever. I pre paid my tips and wondered if it was this.

My friend who was in a seperate on a different deck had her breakfast delivered by Pantry staff. So I don't think it is all breakfast have to be delivered by Steward. I tipped my Man extra as I would have tipped the Pantry staff in any case.

Yes on Cunard any cruise I have been on my breakfast was always delivered by my Steward.

Sue

Sue

People use to wear suits to baseball games -- our culture and everything that entails is evolving. Some things are improving and some things seem to be deteriorating.

Let's face it, since the industrial revolution -- our culture is changing exponentially.

Sometimes loss of control and change are difficult to deal with, but in the grand scheme of things, we seem to be improving for the most part.

By the way, I still wear my Tux to formal dinners.:rolleyes::)

Kel

The OP had made some intelligent comments, and after reading his original review of the Solstice along with this particular review, I would have to agree with most everything he said (Except for his opinion on the Elite coupons; I didn't think they were confusing and I also enjoy the afternoon cocktails)

Unfortunately, the changes that RCCL made when they bought Celebrity is their corporate decision, and no matter how much you want it to be, it's not the same cruiseline of the past. The last six months has shown even more corporate philosophy changes with regard to their pricing model. I have never seen such discounting of their product, where Celebrity's cruises are routinely priced below Carnival and NCL, hence all these new cruisers to the line. With their current pricing model, it is IMPOSSIBLE to offer a product even remotely along the lines of the 5 star lines, or the ones just below that.

So, as others of said, things change, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

This kind of corporate repositioning happens ALL the time, especially in retail. I know the OP will remember when Abercrombie & Fitch WAS NOT a teen clothing retailer, or when Pottery Barn sold glassware & not furniture.

The OP has done a good job of discussing his (her?) issues and opinions.

The total amount DH and I spent on a seven-day North American cruise 20 years ago was more than what we spent last fall for a 10-day cruise for three of us (we've added a DD in the interim). Prices for cruises on all lines, when adjusted for inflation, are much lower than they were in the "good old days"

As little as 10 or 15 years ago, cruising was considered to be a somewhat "high end" vacation. Now NCL, Princess, RCCI and yes even X are aiming straight on for the middle market.

If you want to experience more of the atmosphere of the days gone by, you should stick with those lines whose marketing is aimed more at the upper end of the upper middle-class.

X (and Azamara or whatever they call that sister line) are aiming for many of the folks who the OP wants to avoid on his/her vacations. The cruise lines have weathered the recession by cutting back -- I doubt they will ever return to the level of service/perks.

So to everyone out there, don't be congratulating yourself on getting a good deal in one breath and complaining that quality is slipping in the next. We get what we pay for. If what you want is the quality of service and perks you get on Cunard, best sail Cunard. If RCCI/X corp misses you, they might make some concessions, but more than likely they will continue to aim at the lower price market. That market just really doesn't care much about the traditional cruise experience -- they don't have a previous cruise experience (or at least one from long enough back) to which to compare.

I am sorry that mainstream America put a dent into your cruise, you set yourself up for that by traveling at Spring break. As far as how people were dressed, I find it hard to believe that the MDR let in people with shorts, ripped and torn jeans, etc. On a recent cruise last fall on RCCL, we witnessed an older male passenger turned away from the dining room for breakfast, because he had on shorts and a tank top, so I am wondering if there is some exaggeration on your comments. I think dress codes are somewhat subjective, sort of like people's opinions on food. What one finds appropriate according to the guidelines the cruise line gives you, can be interpreted differently by another, an old tux and outdated evening gown taken out of the moth balls, can sometimes look as bad as someone under dressed. The good news for you is that there are other premium lines to which you can choose.

People use to wear suits to baseball games -- our culture and everything that entails is evolving. Some things are improving and some things seem to be deteriorating.

Let's face it, since the industrial revolution -- our culture is changing exponentially.

Sometimes loss of control and change are difficult to deal with, but in the grand scheme of things, we seem to be improving for the most part.

By the way, I still wear my Tux to formal dinners.:rolleyes::)

Kel

That is a great point. I love when they show old footage of babe ruth and Joe Dimaggio and you see the ball go into the stands and the men are in suits and the women are in dresses. I wish I lived in those times because I love to dress up. I have enjoyed many nights on the "freestyle" cruiseline where I am the only person dressed up on the entire ship. This upcoming cruise is my first with X but I am excited to be going on a line where the expectations of dressing up are higher and where I will not be the only passenger in a gown or fancy dress.

And OP please don't knock the first time cruisers....we all start somewhere.....new cruisers are the future of the industry and they are necessary for the survival of the industry. Without new cruisers there will be no one to fill the ships that are constantly being launched by all of the lines..... there would be a collapse in the cruise market if it were not for a constant flow of new cruisers.

Try to use the wealth of experience you have by molding others and lead by example. But in the end sometime you just have to be happy with yourself and ignore those around you that are not acting or dressing up to your specifications.

Enjoy your future cruises.......and your elite status.

. The last six months has shown even more corporate philosophy changes with regard to their pricing model. I have never seen such discounting of their product, where Celebrity's cruises are routinely priced below Carnival and NCL, hence all these new cruisers to the line. With their current pricing model, it is IMPOSSIBLE to offer a product even remotely along the lines of the 5 star lines, or the ones just below that.

So, as others of said, things change, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

I have to agree w/ this post. I would have never thought I would be able to afford a Celebrity cruise, so I was extremely shocked when I was pricing out cruise to Bermuda and saw that Celebrity was about $100 cheaper and 2 days longer than the other lines HAL, RCL, NCL, CARNIVAL.

I have not yet sailed with Celebrity...my first cruise is upcoming a month from today! We normally sail RCCL or Disney. I think with the lower prices you will see more families and more children running around. We are taking this trip without our 4 children. I am looking forward to no kids!!!

I think that you really got a big dose of the family/child crowd because of when you chose to sail. You are probably right that you would be better off on another cruise line or maybe picking a longer cruise? That would not solve the service issues that you noted however.

Jenn

I have not yet sailed with Celebrity...my first cruise is upcoming a month from today! We normally sail RCCL or Disney. I think with the lower prices you will see more families and more children running around. We are taking this trip without our 4 children. I am looking forward to no kids!!!

I think that you really got a big dose of the family/child crowd because of when you chose to sail. You are probably right that you would be better off on another cruise line or maybe picking a longer cruise? That would not solve the service issues that you noted however.

Jenn

Which ship are you sailing? Mine is a month from today as well? Summit?

Regarding the pricings. I am looking at the Med for this summer once more and the prices for Equinox are sky high with even some grades already sold out.

Last year was the same when I sailed on Solstice with me booking a lower grade of room due to this.

For this summer 10 - 11 night are looking at prices of in excess of £3500 cruise only for a 2B balcony for solo occupancy. Last year £2700 which was £400 more than the previous year on Summit.

Even an inside on the Equinox is £2600+ which is just too expensive when you then add airfare hotel and taxi to and from ship.

Last year was the first time I didn't ever get a price drop and in fact prices were rising almost on a daily to weekly basis.

Sue

This is a candid review. It is purely subjective from my considerable years and experience in cruising. It is my opinion. I don't intend to offend anyone nor do I expect all to agree. I do believe, however, that there are still a few of us left out there who have noticed all this and agree. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Sailed Solstice again this year same week. An Elite Member, my review from last year still applies this year. For those interested in this very detailed and departmental review, please feel free. It is a review of praise. It's entitled

"SOLSTICE 4/5/09 The Evolution of Celebrity"

This year however, I opted to try the long heralded Aqua Class. It is not, in my opinion worth the extra and the service is no different than Concierge Class but bears the same tipping rates. Deck 11 midship is fine but tends to allow thumps, sounds of heels running and chair scrapes from above. When we checked in, there was only one bathrobe in our stateroom, our attendant corrected it after we told him.

The dining in Blu was a let down for us. Both food and service was spotty, slow and in no way impressed. We had pre-booked Murano three times and that never failed to surpass our expectations. Always Murano impressed in presentation, food and service. Miles beyond Blu.

Some things I've noticed as an Elite member is that being on that level really means very little anymore. The perks are very few, at the wrong times and really a marketing approach at baiting for one to spend more. Cunard gives loads of onboard credit, TA or no TA. Celebrity gives 10% off this and 20% off that and a load of worthless coupons if you buy this, we'll give you that on Thursdays between 4-6 if it's not a port day and if it's not 48 hours prior to voyage end and on and on. You can only order certain labels at Michael's Club for Elite Member complimentary cocktails.

RCCL has definitely forced their operations style onto Celebrity more and more over the years. A mass market cruise company that bought Celebrity from the Chandris family. It shows now with a particular regard to saving the company money and loosening the reigns on old traditions. Appealing to a broader base like.... Oasis of the Seas. (A nighmare come into being).

Example: 90 minutes free internet coupon for Elite members. Used it once in stateroom and was charged $36.00 for 55 minutes. Charge never removed. Went to guest relations, they said I have to buy the package. The coupon does not say that I have to buy the package, it says 90 minutes free internet for Elite members. Spoke to Elite Captain's Club hostess Zofia, she said she'd look into it. Charge never removed.

No more personal invitations under the door to Elite events. No more bellboys to deliver stateroom breakfast, (they make your steward do it) like he has time for that with making up corridors of rooms and stopping to deliver breakfasts at various requested times. Very noticable. You just didn't feel special or appreciated the way you once did as an Elite member. Why ? Because the formal old guard is gone. Just the uniform is there being worn by the board room.

The crowd onboard was a totally different crowd throughout. Loaded with first time cruisers. Oceanview cafe buffets were a football tackle most of the time. Like rush hour in LA or yellow cabs in Manhattan. Crazy folk cutting other people off to get to the pasta station with multiple plates filled to the brim.

It seemed like Carnival, NCL and RCCL unloaded onto our decks. After a life time of sailing the Celebrity brand, I can honestly say that this cruise, in particular, was absolutely the worst dressed I have ever seen. Some of the worst dressed men and women on formal nights (or any other night) that I have witnessed on ANY ship at ANY time of the year. Did no one teach these people ? Several ship employees I knew also noticed this in brief muted conversations.

Add to that hoards upon hoards of kids, stollers, teens and totlers holding two ice cream cones jambing into the elevators, playing on the elevators while dozens of regular Joes and their monsterously huge families dominated and stampeded their way everywhere. Very, very little adherance to formality, respect, decorum or dress codes. You had mainstream America at the local Mall on a Saturday. I have to go to sea to witness this ?

On formal night one could literally count the tuxedos and gowns on one hand. Horrible. Flip-flops, t-shirts, torn jeans, shorts galore, guys wearing baseball caps in dining rooms at dinner, groups of teen boys with pants hanging off their rear ends listening to walkmans and MP3's in some strange ode to hiphop culture....... and the girls who well.....left nothing to the imagination.

Yes I know, I know, Spring Break, discount online travel agencies and seasonal sales tend to bring this out at sea, but never in my experience on a Celebrity ship. I know that a longer cruise, a luxury line or a European destination would change all this but I chose an old favorite. I assure you it wasn't at all like this years ago.

Why must one only sail Silversea, Oceania and Cunard to have people dress and carry themselves as ladies and gentlemen. Oh and btw, the caviar menu is gone at the Martini bar area on deck 4. They're not promoting that anymore and it has nothing to do with endangered species but with endangered profits and a different crowd.

With the exception of all the above, believe it or not, I honestly did have a great cruise as always and these things didn't ruin my time because I am a huge Celebrity fan. Food and service is still generally great and Labadee was a paradise. So no harm intended.

However, this is cruise "critic" and yes, I have some criticism. Again if you want the far more flattering Solstice review in more detail (wrote it last year) same time, please read it.

In conclusion, I've just notice the very slow, gradual but steady changes, the more affordable rates, the bigger ships, the cost cutting efforts toward cheaper and greater profit and the demographic changes on what was once (in the early 1990's) a serious member of the upper premium market with world class gourmet reputation (just one notch below the luxury market).

So definitely never again during Spring break. I've booked Queens Grill on QM2 again for next year and looking into the new Eclipse for early December 2010. School's NOT out then, Christmas break is week's away then, large families stay at home, prices much higher and we can eat at Murano every night with fellow formally dressed passengers and perhaps even try the new Q-zine restaurant for a difference.

Bon Voyage,

Gustavas

If I felt like this I would cruise on a different line.

You are correct, everyone is entitled to their opinion. We, on the other hand think that the elite benefits are great and use them all the time when we cruise. We signed up for the 90 minutes each of free internet as required on the coupon and received it without problem or question. We both took advantage of the free laundry and pressing coupons and REALLY enjoyed the 4:00 - 6:00 cocktails and snacks served nightly. We did receive invitation to elite events. In this day and age, with the price of oil increasing daily, and the surcharge not yet added on, we feel that the benefits are now very generous.

We also LOVED Blu, thought the food and service were well above par and will always book Aqua Class when we travel on S Class ships.

One lesson that we did learn the hard way a few years back, is that is is best to avoid spring and winter break if you want to avoid hoards of children on any cruise line. It is difficult for us as my partner is a teacher, so we have to cruise when we are able.

I am sure there will be many posts on this topic, both positive and negative, but we, for two think that Aqua Class and Blu are GREAT, and Celebrity is doing a great job rewarding frequent cruisers.

I think your experiences are the same as ours we find most of these things to be true.

Two years ago we booked our cruise on RCCL because Celebrity wanted full fare for the third in the cabin. At the same time RCCL offered a reduced fare for the third. This year the opposite is true. When we booked our upcoming cruise last summer we found that RCCL offered no discount for the third in the room, while "C" offered a deep discount. It seems to me that RCI is trying to lure more families on to their Celebrity cruises, why else would they have taken the discount away from RCCL? I think that is the simple reason why there were so many more families on this years spring break cruises.

I started cruising the old Fantasy Line when hardly anyone knew who or what John Chandris or his cruise line was. At the time the ships were very small and very economical. My husband and I had our first together and best cruise ever on the Amerikanis. That being said, the service that we received on that "budget" cruise is so far superior than what you get today. It is just how the times are a changing. Does anyone out there remember Home Lines? You had to rent your pool chair and had a pool steward. Oh the Days gone by, and I'm in my 40's.

All I'm saying is that I'm personally glad more people are being able to enjoy cruising. If the cruise lines have to cut back to do it, then so be it. Who isn't cutting back? I welcome all the "newbies" because 99% are just as excited as I am about being able to go on their cruise. I've seen it written before, but I'll repeat it, if I had never cruised Celebrity before and I spent anytime on this Board, I would have gone elsewhere. I'm sure some of the people on this board don't even see how they come across.... but it is not always attractive.

Its 2010......I no longer have to wear a suit and tie to work.....I no longer have to wear a suit and tie to church.....The world has become more casual (And I like that) The old days of cruising are gone. Twenty years ago you had 400 people on a ship and they were treated to a higher level of standard. Cruisers were not everyday people. Now with numerous mega ships the lines must make them affordable to sell rooms....with that comes a different kind of cruise, (not to say that that is bad). 20 years ago you flew on a plane, were handed a menu, ate a fine meal with real silverware, now you get herded on like cattle and pay for a bag of nuts. Everyone who misses the good old days needs to go find an exclusive cruise line and live their dream. Your mainstream lines, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, RCCL, Princess, Norwegian are all pushing a more casual atmosphere because that is what sells....and I hate to tell you all this, they dont float this ships around for 7 days at a time for any other reaon then to make money, they are a business like any other business. I have no problem with the more casual atmosphere on a ship. If I choose to dress up then I will, if someone else doesnt than who cares!!!! I am on vacation, I am not at work, I am on a beautiful ship and I dont care what you wear!!!!

On our Feb 14 sailing on Solstice, there was a man next to us in the MDR who dressed in dirty and sloppy, stained cargo shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt, with rubber shower shoes every single night---oh wait, on one night he wore filthy tennis shoes that were so dirty you could barely tell they used to be white, even on formal night, and no one said a word. They were at a 2 top, but close enough for the table next to him to ask if the airline lost his luggage. He got pretty upset and said no one tells him how to dress on his vacation, and he only wears cargo shorts, and tshirts, won't wear long sleeves or slacks or regular shoes. I have to tell you, he looked terrible and smelled---yes, I could smell him 6 feet away. Long sloppy gray hair that looked like it needed a good washing.

OK, I realize we're living in a selfish-me first, dressed down world, but someone on Solstice should have had the guts to not allow this man into the dining room on formal nights dressed like this---heck, he shouldn't have been allowed in on any night. His wife, albeit not dressed formally either, did look nice, neat and clean, unlike the husband.

So I guess as long as X has your money, they don't give a rat's behind that you and your personal lack of hygiene would make others uncomfortable.

Archived