Worst Dressed -Solstice 3/28 - 4/4

Gustavas

On our Feb 14 sailing on Solstice, there was a man next to us in the MDR who dressed in dirty and sloppy, stained cargo shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt, with rubber shower shoes every single night---oh wait, on one night he wore filthy tennis shoes that were so dirty you could barely tell they used to be white, even on formal night, and no one said a word. They were at a 2 top, but close enough for the table next to him to ask if the airline lost his luggage. He got pretty upset and said no one tells him how to dress on his vacation, and he only wears cargo shorts, and tshirts, won't wear long sleeves or slacks or regular shoes. I have to tell you, he looked terrible and smelled---yes, I could smell him 6 feet away. Long sloppy gray hair that looked like it needed a good washing.

OK, I realize we're living in a selfish-me first, dressed down world, but someone on Solstice should have had the guts to not allow this man into the dining room on formal nights dressed like this---heck, he shouldn't have been allowed in on any night. His wife, albeit not dressed formally either, did look nice, neat and clean, unlike the husband.

So I guess as long as X has your money, they don't give a rat's behind that you and your personal lack of hygiene would make others uncomfortable.

I consider myself a liberal (small L) person and usually don't mind how another dresses. But this guy sounds GROSS!. Yuch! It would ruin my apetite. You could have said something (discreetly) to the assistant maitre d' .

On our Feb 14 sailing on Solstice, there was a man next to us in the MDR who dressed in dirty and sloppy, stained cargo shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt, with rubber shower shoes every single night---oh wait, on one night he wore filthy tennis shoes that were so dirty you could barely tell they used to be white, even on formal night, and no one said a word. They were at a 2 top, but close enough for the table next to him to ask if the airline lost his luggage. He got pretty upset and said no one tells him how to dress on his vacation, and he only wears cargo shorts, and tshirts, won't wear long sleeves or slacks or regular shoes. I have to tell you, he looked terrible and smelled---yes, I could smell him 6 feet away. Long sloppy gray hair that looked like it needed a good washing.

OK, I realize we're living in a selfish-me first, dressed down world, but someone on Solstice should have had the guts to not allow this man into the dining room on formal nights dressed like this---heck, he shouldn't have been allowed in on any night. His wife, albeit not dressed formally either, did look nice, neat and clean, unlike the husband.

So I guess as long as X has your money, they don't give a rat's behind that you and your personal lack of hygiene would make others uncomfortable.

Of course, as with any business, making money is the prime goal and it should be! However, when the enjoyment of the cruise is jeopardized by others' habits, well, that is where I draw the line.

I have no issues regarding the clothes a passenger wears. That is his or her business and does not impact my enjoyment of the cruise.. But when the clothes and his body emit an unpleasant odor due to poor hygiene, that is inexcusable and needs to be dealt with by the cruise personnel. I would not have said anything to the offending person but I would definitely mention this to the maitre d' or customer service.

The reason cruising is cheaper now then say 10 years ago is because they have a lot more cabins to fill. Look at all the new ships. They have to get as many customers as they can. Celebrity is no different they try to sail full. Everyone tries to get a deal today. They have to remain completed in the market there in. So its not the same expierence as 10 years ago, and will never be. But you still get a decent cruise from my expierence with them.

Suggest OP pick a different time of the year to cruise......Spring Break time (even on X ) is not the time one can expect elegant formal adult only cruising. It is generally family time...or time for "Spring breakers"

We have enjoyed two cruises on Solstice (E. Medit & a Carib itin) & had no problems with the dress or habits of fellow cruisers or any eggregious lapses in service or quality...

Queens Grill on QM2 (also greatly discounted recently) is a diff type of cruising....so at least OP has options...

I do agree that the smelly man in shorts described by Kitty 9, of course should have been denied entry--

I can't believe that Blu has changed that much. I was on two weeks before you march 13-21. We found Blu to be the best we have ever had on a Celebrity ship. Service was outstanding. I had a filet of beef one night in Blu and then had one in Tuscan Grille. Blu was much better. My husband asked if they could give him some of the meat sauce they had in Tuscan Grille. The next night it was brought right to our table. The last night on we sat with new friends we met at dinner. A large dish of pasta was brought for all to share. Breakfast there made getting up in the morning worthwhile. I agree that not that many people wear tuxedos anymore. My husband had his on but I will say maybe only 20% of the men wore Tuxedos. The other men had on dark suits. Never ate next to someone in shorts, baseball caps, or sneakers for dinner. We also never had any problem at the buffet. Food was good, pleantiful and never had anyone cut me off or trip over me. I think life is what you make it. If you think that you are better than everyone else, you can find some trouble. My husband even got a free bottle of wine for his birthday given to him from the captain's club for his birthday. We got up to a $60 bottle to choose from. Zophia the captain club hostess was so nice when we thank her for giving us the bottle, we found at that night's dinner we got another bottle. We used our internet mins. and the laundry coupon also. We think the new perks are really nice. Met some of the nicest people on board. I think if you treat someone with respect, you will get respect back. While I think the original poster had a bad time, perhaps he should try another cruise line more to his liking. That is why there are so many different lines for all of us to choose.

Pat

Things have changed…I don’t know if the employees at IBM still have to wear a tie.

When I rent a car nowadays, the full size rental of today was the compact size of 15 years ago. A previous poster was on the mark when they mentioned how the airlines have changed , now you pay to get peanuts. I’m driving to Port Everglades for our next cruise not because of air fare, but because of the super high luggage costs The luggae fees total more than one of the passengers round trip fare. (no SW air in Charlotte)

Have you bought ice cream lately? Looks like the same size and costs the same as 5 years ago, but it is not 64 OZ …its more like 48 oz.

I find few things are the same as 15 years ago. Heck one can’t even drive without somebody waving at you using just one finger. 20 years ago, people would always let you merge and not ride your bumper and they would wave and smile.

Yes, cruising has changed, but I bear with it, because if they were not on my ship, I would not get the deal I got, nor would that ship be in the water. I look at them as those who subsidize my ability to cruise and have a good time. Being with them on the ship is better that not being on a ship at all.

I feel your pain and glad you still managed to have a somewhat enjoyable time.

OMB

The smell alone would have ruined my meal. I think a land-based restaurant would enforce their "right to refuse service" on this person. One can only wish that Celebrity would do the same.

Well said Murph......lets all just go on vacation, enjoy ourselves, and relax.......who gives a crap what the other guy is wearing.......like i said earlier.....7 days away from work with my wife and kids is way more important than worrying about what people wear!

The OP obviously had a poor experience, but I don't think you can draw a conclusion from it. Cruises can vary from person to person in their perception and from cruise to cruise. Each cruise does have its own feel.

I've only been cruising on X since 2002 so a relatively short time scale. Have I noticed a drop off in standard of dress over that period? I can't say in general terms that I have. I will say that I have only cruised Spring Break once and that was toward the end of season so the age of the children was lower. Many of them really dressed up for dinner, looked great and put us adults to shame!

Phil

Spring break in US varies by the region... so it is very subjective. March 21st is definitely in the middle of most university/college breaks and many public school systems throughout the US (also I believe it is a school break time in Canada.) There is a break in Mid February (around our President's Day ), then in Mid March for some regions, Easter Week for some ,and Mid April for others.

It is easy to tell really.... if the cruise you wish to go on is more expensive than the week right next to it.... you have chosen a school vacation week.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the review; I appreciate them all, good and bad.

I think your feedback is relevant because it seems like many X cruisers are repeats. Whether or not they are trying to compete or be more corporate or whatever if they alienate this base they will run into trouble.

I am trying X for the first time this fall leaving RCCL because I felt like I was on a Carnival ship. If I go - and there is no difference - I won’t sail with them again. So I do believe what people think matters, I have seen many posters over the last several months that are refugees from lower end mass-market lines who are trying X because they have gotten disgusted with those lines.

However, I don’t think they can - or are trying to - compete from a family perspective with the RCCL and Carnival’s amusement park-like atmospheres.

X is more "cultured" and doesn’t build ships like that (water slides, surfing, rock walls, mall of America…).

That is a great point. I love when they show old footage of babe ruth and Joe Dimaggio and you see the ball go into the stands and the men are in suits and the women are in dresses. I wish I lived in those times because I love to dress up. I have enjoyed many nights on the "freestyle" cruiseline where I am the only person dressed up on the entire ship. This upcoming cruise is my first with X but I am excited to be going on a line where the expectations of dressing up are higher and where I will not be the only passenger in a gown or fancy dress.
It's fun to be nostalgic about the fun parts of good old days, but I doubt you really would want to. Everybody smoked, inside and out, blacks got the back of the bus if they were lucky, women were expected to be bare foot and pregnant, you spent your nights listening to the radio, telephones were a semi-luxury, most people had one car - at most, one bathroom in the house was normal, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by Onessa viewpost.gif

So to everyone out there, don't be congratulating yourself on getting a good deal in one breath and complaining that quality is slipping in the next.

THIS IS THE TRUEST THING I HAVE EVER READ ON THESE BOARDS!

Cathy

Hummm, I might have to agree with this:eek:

we were on the week prior to you, and BLU was outstanding, Dress code was in full effect, we actually commented on how it felt to be back on Celebrity and feel at home wardrobe wise compared to Princess in August.

Crowds can vary on any given ship! My mom was on a Regent Cruise with a contractor company .....let me tell you it was just a different crowd then normal..you cant pick the crowd you end up with.

Service still was outstanding on the sosltice of rour group of 79, all were truly impressed esp people who had only sailed NCL, Princes and Carnival prior they really enjoyed many aspects of Celebrity and the service the delivered!

happy cruising

Originally Posted by Onessa viewpost.gif

So to everyone out there, don't be congratulating yourself on getting a good deal in one breath and complaining that quality is slipping in the next.

Hummm, I might have to agree with this:eek:

100% agree.....As I have said before,....I heard a lady complaining about something as she was next to me on the pool deck, in the same sentence she said "this is not worht the 450.00 I paid for this week" Not sure about anyone else but I paid 380.00 to stya at the W hotel in FLL for 1 night and they gave me nothing but a bed to sleep on and an awesome designed hotel! the hotel did not provide me entertainment, free valet parking, or parking for that matter, food, lectures, towels for the beach, or free room serivce!

you get what you pay for people!

We had firends sailing with us on Solstice in an Inside cabin paying 700.00 each for the week and felt it was worht more then they paid overall!

We were about 1000 each for AQ on Solstice, (not including flights), as it was a late decision for my wife's xmas pressie, I didn't shop around.

I have no complaints, don't regret it one bit, holiday of a lifetime. Now I know the ropes, I will be more savvy and selective next time.

Speaking to people from the Americas while on board and having various 'deals' sent to me from US websites on my return, from what I have received it seems that all the bargains appear to be in the US. In comparing these to the Med, the Med is way more expensive. Celebrity filter all UK enquiries through their UK website, probably to segregate the 'less competitive' UK market from the 'highly competitive' North American market. Maybe it will even itself out now that more ships are cruising from this side of the pond. I am happy for Celebrity to keep the costs high if the standards of service and ambience that I experienced are maintained.

Hello from Australia. We are looking at sailing Celebrity Equinox leaving on March 21st 2011. Is this Spring Break time? (We do not have such a thing downunder?)

Thanks in advance.

Spring break varies between the public schools and universities. It can be anytime from mid March thru mid April. A lot of times it hits the week before and after Easter. To be safe I would book at the end of February or very early March. Hope this helps. I don't know the date for Easter 2011 but the majority of spring breaks will be the week before and right after Easter.

Cheers,

JoAnne

Spring break varies between the public schools and universities. It can be anytime from mid March thru mid April. A lot of times it hits the week before and after Easter. To be safe I would book at the end of February or very early March. Hope this helps. I don't know the date for Easter 2011 but the majority of spring breaks will be the week before and right after Easter.

Cheers,

JoAnne

Easter's really late in 2011. Easter Sunday is April 24th.

"The world is a changin and there is nothin I can do about it."

So make lemonade from lemons by not sailing during holidays, Turkey Day Easter, Spring Break and Xmas. That will avoid the families

And sail the longer cruises to avoid the party goers.

As far as Elite benefits during our SA/Antarctic Cruise, we found the 4:oo roundup in Michaels Club a relief and a welcome part of our day. Mind you due to our changed itinerary we were at sea for six days. :eek:

To me "spring break" means college spring break, which runs anywhere from late Feb to early April. "Easter week" is totally different since high school and younger children are out of school.

College students aren't naturally drawn to X. Families may be (if the kids are out of school). I think this fully explains the OP's disappointments.

College students aren't naturally drawn to X. Families may be (if the kids are out of school). I think this fully explains the OP's disappointments.

While I normally would agree with this statement, this year, with the low pricing of Century's 5 day cruises ($299/pp OV!!!) there were definately college SB'ers during the March 15th cruise.

A quick check of Century's March 2011 cruises prices indicates MUCH higher prices, signaling a more optimistic view of the economy and less discounting.

Archived