Any feedback on "house wines" from current cruisers?

Lobbylin

Would appreciate any feedback on what the inclusive house wines are like from any returning cruisers, though I realise the new package has only been operational for a few days...

In particular, are there a few choices eg 2-3 types of white wines at lunch and dinner (eg Pinot Grigio / Sauvignon Blanc etc) or should I be expecting "El Cheapo Plonko"?:D

...Only joking, I am sure they will be serving some reasonable wines, but just wondered if you get a choice or do they just say "today we are serving XXXXX would you like to try a glass?"

If the wines are avaliable in the buffet,could you occupy a table out side and stay there all nite getting free wine cause i do like the windows outside dining area,or when there is a special buffet around the pool area would free wine be all nite :):) just a thought

I have a friend who knows someone currently sailing on Journey. She received an email that said:

"The "new" Azamara. Gratuities are included as is wine for lunch and dinner. One white, one red each day and changed each day. All have been good, some excellent."

Not a whole lot of info, but at least some.

If the wines are avaliable in the buffet,could you occupy a table out side and stay there all nite getting free wine cause i do like the windows outside dining area,or when there is a special buffet around the pool area would free wine be all nite :):) just a thought

Gosport, you win my 10/10 for admiration, I love your style!!!:D:D I too love that aft dining area, but there is only so long I can make a meal last!:p:p

No nothing is free. As it is, for example, in any hotel around the world. Your cruise is also not free, neither are your shore excursions, your massages, your fligth to the ship, your pre-hotel, your transfers.....and so on. But nobody was asking for that. The post is about the quality of the inclusive wines and I don't think you have to explain that at the end you've paid for them as you did for so much more while cruising, or travelling at all :p

Gosport11 referred to it as "free" as have some on other threads. Nothing is free on any cruise line.

I remember that someone on this first cruise promised to make a note of all the selections every day and report back - guess we have to wait a few more days....

Gosport - what a great idea - if you keep having nibbles at the buffet will they keep pouring the wine?! I knew the Brits would find a way to beat the system!;)

I remember that someone on this first cruise promised to make a note of all the selections every day and report back - guess we have to wait a few more days....

Gosport - what a great idea - if you keep having nibbles at the buffet will they keep pouring the wine?! I knew the Brits would find a way to beat the system!;)

And the Scots will be there with their decant bottles and wee funnels

And the Scots will be there with their decant bottles and wee funnels

LOL, I always say nothing in life is free unless you steal it.;)

I have a friend who knows someone currently sailing on Journey. She received an email that said:

"The "new" Azamara. Gratuities are included as is wine for lunch and dinner. One white, one red each day and changed each day. All have been good, some excellent."

Than goodness it is not "Château Screw cap":rolleyes:;)

on a slightly differnt tac will room service also be included :):) ps we spent our last cruise sampling the non wine list selection which was very drinkable :):):)

I too was wondering about what happens if you order room service for lunch or dinner...;)

To offer just one different white and red each day seems a bit mean. I would have throught that 2 choices should be available, even if the second is a back-up for someone who doesn't like Chardonnay!:p

Thanks, let's hope they post soon.:)

Than goodness it is not "Château Screw cap":rolleyes:;)

I have to admit that some of my favourite (New World and European) wines come in screwcap nowadays, and provided the rules don't change about bringing wine on board for in-cabin consumption, screwcap is great for storage and opening if you don't want the hassle of bringing/asking for a corkscrew.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what the % take-up is on the house wines, or are there still people who will buy the wines they like?

To offer just one different white and red each day seems a bit mean. I would have throught that 2 choices should be available, even if the second is a back-up for someone who doesn't like Chardonnay!:p

Thanks, let's hope they post soon.:)

I have to admit that some of my favourite (New World and European) wines come in screwcap nowadays, and provided the rules don't change about bringing wine on board for in-cabin consumption, screwcap is great for storage and opening if you don't want the hassle of bringing/asking for a corkscrew.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I must pipe in and say that I was thinking this exact thing as I was reading the thread. France has even gotten on board and have a few tasty wines with screw caps...and not necessarily cheap. I love the way you say "New Wold and European"...found that a chuckle.

I must pipe in and say that I was thinking this exact thing as I was reading the thread. France has even gotten on board and have a few tasty wines with screw caps...and not necessarily cheap. I love the way you say "New World and European"...found that a chuckle.

Wookeef,

If I am honest, I rarely drink French / Spanish wines so wasn't sure if they had ventured into screwcap yet - hence the "European" generalisation:):D

I would probably try more French wines, if I could make out from the labels (without too much effort) what type of wine/grape it was made from. I love the Italian Pinot Grigios.:)

Wookeef,

If I am honest, I rarely drink French / Spanish wines so wasn't sure if they had ventured into screwcap yet - hence the "European" generalisation:):D

I would probably try more French wines, if I could make out from the labels (without too much effort) what type of wine/grape it was made from. I love the Italian Pinot Grigios.:)

I am American and the labeling here took me some time to get used to...and honestly, I am still learning. But, I got a book that helped me to make sense out of it since it WAS so very different from the U.S. One of the keys is learning the regions. I found the French Wine for Dummies very helpful...since I am one of them:) I was so convince that I would hate French wine and be mournful for my California Reds...But, now I love French wine and they have most definitely made a believer out of me. I hate pretention and that is how I looked at French wine...now, I know. There really is a French wine for EVERYONE! Cheers!

I am American and the labeling here took me some time to get used to...and honestly, I am still learning. But, I got a book that helped me to make sense out of it since it WAS so very different from the U.S. One of the keys is learning the regions. I found the French Wine for Dummies very helpful...since I am one of them:) I was so convince that I would hate French wine and be mournful for my California Reds...But, now I love French wine and they have most definitely made a believer out of me. I hate pretention and that is how I looked at French wine...now, I know. There really is a French wine for EVERYONE! Cheers!

An Amercian wine grower whom we were tablemates with on a Celebrity cruise introduced us to a Californian wine called Chateau St Michelle Riesling - very reasonably priced on US cruiselines (but not on sale in UK outlets) and also very nice, if a little sweeter than what we are used to. Other than that, I am afraid I don't know much about Californian wines or what to choose.

I wish someone would write a "table" of world wines and say if you like a certain wine/varietal from one country, then you should try these other wines from other countries.:) I can start that list on Sauvignon Blancs and Rieslings!!!:D Another 2 years and I can probably write a comparison on Pinot Grigios too:D, but too date IMHO the Italian ones are the best (are there any from other countries?)

That's one of the things I love about cruising - all those wine tasting sessions.;)

I fell in love with an Austrian white wine, called Gruner Veltliner on a recent cruise - I could not find the same brand here so bought 2 other brands but am sorry to say they didn't compare, or maybe it's just not the same on dry land without someone to cook and serve the food and wines...:rolleyes:

An Amercian wine grower whom we were tablemates with on a Celebrity cruise introduced us to a Californian wine called Chateau St Michelle Riesling - very reasonably priced on US cruiselines (but not on sale in UK outlets) and also very nice, if a little sweeter than what we are used to. Other than that, I am afraid I don't know much about Californian wines or what to choose.

I wish someone would write a "table" of world wines and say if you like a certain wine/varietal from one country, then you should try these other wines from other countries.:) I can start that list on Sauvignon Blancs and Rieslings!!!:D Another 2 years and I can probably write a comparison on Pinot Grigios too:D, but too date IMHO the Italian ones are the best (are there any from other countries?)

That's one of the things I love about cruising - all those wine tasting sessions.;)

I fell in love with an Austrian white wine, called Gruner Veltliner on a recent cruise - I could not find the same brand here so bought 2 other brands but am sorry to say they didn't compare, or maybe it's just not the same on dry land without someone to cook and serve the food and wines...:rolleyes:

My sister's favorite wine is Chateau St. Michel...it is far to sweet for my taste. I do love Italian wines as well...looking forward to going to Venice in 20 days to sample some of their delic. wine.

I am digressing from the topic I suppose. I am eager to see what people have to say regarding the wines they use every day. I imagine they will have a variety...not just one white and one red, perhaps that is just wishful thinking. They are supposedly basing the wines of the day on the itinerary...such as our Med cruise may have some great Italian wines and Turkish as well(they have some delicious wine if no one has tried)...I imagine in the Caribbean they will have some south American wines or California wines...the possiblilities are endless really.

A.B.C. for me = Anything But Chardonnay!

Currently on our dining table with Sunday lunch we have a 'screwtop' Oyster Bay NZ Pinot Noir 2007, a 'screwtop' Vina Sol from Spain.

There is nothing wrong with screwtops - the wine keeps better and they are less likely go go off with air seepage through the corks. And they are easier to open!

Chateau St Michelle Riesling is also far too sweet for me - I do love a new season Australian Riesling thought - crisp and dry. I am also a big fan of NZ Sauvignon Blancs.

Lbeckwith - looks like we won't be fighting over the same bottle -but I do like a good Pinot Grigio too. The problem is there are so many mediocre ones out there. The PG Dazante that they serve on RCI ships is very drinkable though (hic.. )

WooKeef - have you tried a crisp white Gros Plant from the Loire - great for summer days - and rediculously cheap!

Back on subject I think the first cruise ends soon so lets see what wine they have in store for us! There is meant to be one white and one red a day, and each day is from a different region -so Monday is Spain, Tuesday is Australia etc etc.

I too agree about Turkish wines - esp their white Cankaya (sp) and they do a lovely Rose too! Perhaps we should cruise/drink together one day!?

Archived