Any feedback on "house wines" from current cruisers?

Lobbylin

An Amercian wine grower whom we were tablemates with on a Celebrity cruise introduced us to a Californian wine called Chateau St Michelle Riesling - very reasonably priced on US cruiselines (but not on sale in UK outlets) and also very nice, if a little sweeter than what we are used to. Other than that, I am afraid I don't know much about Californian wines or what to choose.

I'm not trying to be pedantic (it just comes naturally to me apparently!:)) but Chateau Ste Michelle winery is in Washington rather than California. I have happy memories of touring it with my aunt and grandmother.

Lisa

A.B.C. for me = Anything But Chardonnay!

Currently on our dining table with Sunday lunch we have a 'screwtop' Oyster Bay NZ Pinot Noir 2007, a 'screwtop' Vina Sol from Spain.

There is nothing wrong with screwtops - the wine keeps better and they are less likely go go off with air seepage through the corks. And they are easier to open!

Chateau St Michelle Riesling is also far too sweet for me - I do love a new season Australian Riesling thought - crisp and dry. I am also a big fan of NZ Sauvignon Blancs.

Lbeckwith - looks like we won't be fighting over the same bottle -but I do like a good Pinot Grigio too. The problem is there are so many mediocre ones out there. The PG Dazante that they serve on RCI ships is very drinkable though (hic.. )

WooKeef - have you tried a crisp white Gros Plant from the Loire - great for summer days - and rediculously cheap!

Back on subject I think the first cruise ends soon so lets see what wine they have in store for us! There is meant to be one white and one red a day, and each day is from a different region -so Monday is Spain, Tuesday is Australia etc etc.

I too agree about Turkish wines - esp their white Cankaya (sp) and they do a lovely Rose too! Perhaps we should cruise/drink together one day!?

Sounds like quite the lovely luncheon you had today. I typically have shyed away from most whites...and I despise Chardonnay, honestly I do not know what pallate you have to have to like it. I have found that I do like the French Sancerre that is from the Lyon/Beaujolais region...somewhere around there. A good friend introduced me to it and I did like it. A Provence Rose is nice too. But, I will typically drink reds. Love cote Du rhone and Beaujolais and so many others...love my French wines and will cry if I have to not have them.

I do think it would be great luck should we happen to cruise together...

but I do like a good Pinot Grigio too. The problem is there are so many mediocre ones out there. The PG Dazante that they serve on RCI ships is very drinkable though (hic.. )

I love Pinot Grigio. Which ones does you like?

I also love Gavi de Gavi but have only had that on SilverSea.

Having lived in south africa, we are rather partial to southafrican wines,im not a big wine drinker so i cant give any names

On the subject of screw caps they seem to be the norm these days,we brought wine on board:):) and used the corkscrew that was in the cabin

Turkish as well(they have some delicious wine if no one has tried.

Last year when we did our ballon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey...

They broke out Turkish "champagne" and all we could think of was ....WOW! this is so delicious..they refilled our glasses

and then it dawned on us...

It,s 7am in the morning, we haven't eaten and we have a full day of sightseeing ahead of us!!! We better stop drinking!

When we are in Turkey on Oct cruise..I'm tracking down that champage and bringing a couple bottes back onboard!

Last year when we did our ballon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey...

They broke out Turkish "champagne" and all we could think of was ....WOW! this is so delicious..they refilled our glasses

and then it dawned on us...

It,s 7am in the morning, we haven't eaten and we have a full day of sightseeing ahead of us!!! We better stop drinking!

When we are in Turkey on Oct cruise..I'm tracking down that champage and bringing a couple bottes back onboard!

VERY cute story...you are on vacation...what the heck.

I am intrigued now and will be tracking this champagne down...sounds yummy!

I love Pinot Grigio. Which ones does you like?

I also love Gavi de Gavi but have only had that on SilverSea.

Love Gavi de Gavi too - if you like that then look out for another Italian called Falanghina - it comes from the Naples region and is lovely, crisp and dry.

Sounds like quite the lovely luncheon you had today. I typically have shyed away from most whites...and I despise Chardonnay, honestly I do not know what pallate you have to have to like it. I have found that I do like the French Sancerre that is from the Lyon/Beaujolais region...somewhere around there. A good friend introduced me to it and I did like it. A Provence Rose is nice too. But, I will typically drink reds. Love cote Du rhone and Beaujolais and so many others...love my French wines and will cry if I have to not have them.

I do think it would be great luck should we happen to cruise together...

Sancerre is very good as is all Loire wines like Chablis or Pouilly Fuisse. If you want to try another white try the Jurancon region (near Lourdes).

This thread is turning into Wine 101!

Love Gavi de Gavi too - if you like that then look out for another Italian called Falanghina - it comes from the Naples region and is lovely, crisp and dry.

Sancerre is very good as is all Loire wines like Chablis or Pouilly Fuisse. If you want to try another white try the Jurancon region (near Lourdes).

This thread is turning into Wine 101!

thanks, I will try and remember that.

Thanks and I meant which "do' you like.

I will look for Falanghina.

Btw, we know Azamara reads this thread so maybe they will take some of the suggestions.

I'm not trying to be pedantic (it just comes naturally to me apparently!:)) but Chateau Ste Michelle winery is in Washington rather than California. I have happy memories of touring it with my aunt and grandmother.

Lisa

Lisa,

I tried to play safe when I referred to "European" wines so as not to offend, but clearly fell foul on this one; forgive me I am not from the US so an error on my part.:)

Lisa,

I tried to play safe when I referred to "European" wines so as not to offend, but clearly fell foul on this one; forgive me I am not from the US so an error on my part.:)

No worries...I am not in the least offended. While the columbia valley in Oregon has beautiful wines...I really did not know that was where it was from.

A.B.C. for me = Anything But Chardonnay!

Currently on our dining table with Sunday lunch we have a 'screwtop' Oyster Bay NZ Pinot Noir 2007, a 'screwtop' Vina Sol from Spain.

There is nothing wrong with screwtops - the wine keeps better and they are less likely go go off with air seepage through the corks. And they are easier to open!

Chateau St Michelle Riesling is also far too sweet for me - I do love a new season Australian Riesling thought - crisp and dry. I am also a big fan of NZ Sauvignon Blancs.

Lbeckwith - looks like we won't be fighting over the same bottle -but I do like a good Pinot Grigio too. The problem is there are so many mediocre ones out there. The PG Dazante that they serve on RCI ships is very drinkable though (hic.. )

A good Pinot Grigio that is available on most ships is the Santa Margherita, but it does seem to vary in price from one ship to another. I have seen that Danzante on ships, so will look out for it.

If you like the Aussie Rieslings, try the NZ Villa Maria Riesling in the supermarkets - very nice!! and no where near as sweet as the Chateau St M.;)

I meant to add that I have drunk many a bottle or two or three of that Vina Sol in Spain - very reasonable and does the job :-)

The house wines were good. Each day, the wines were different. I never had abad one. It was a nice touch to have wine included. Soft drinks are also included at meals, in cabins, and at anyplace on board. Nothing is better than sitting on the pool deck and having the wait staff bring drinks...and not having to pay additionally for them. Bottled water is also available. The best feature that is now included is coffee from the Cova Cafe. WOW. On previous cruises I hadn't tried Cova because it cost additional money.. my mistake. A suggestion to Celebrity would be to include coupons for a few sample cups of Cova. After trying them, you will want more. IT's that good!

[quote name='Redtravel']The house wines were good. Each day, the wines were different. I never had abad one. It was a nice touch to have wine included. Soft drinks are also included at meals, in cabins, and at anyplace on board. Nothing is better than sitting on the pool deck and having the wait staff bring drinks...and not having to pay additionally for them. Bottled water is also available. The best feature that is now included is coffee from the Cova Cafe. WOW. On previous cruises I hadn't tried Cova because it cost additional money.. my mistake. A suggestion to Celebrity would be to include coupons for a few sample cups of Cova. After trying them, you will want more. IT's that good![/quote]

Did they only have one red and one white each day? what kinds were they out of curiosity? I love the Cova Cafe and was one of the first things I did on Galaxy when the old girl was still around...(miss that ship) was try it out. Love my coffee and I was hooked. My hubby is gonna love it and wondering if people will be lined up for their specialty coffees:eek:. I assume the service was spectacular?

[quote name='Redtravel']The house wines were good. Each day, the wines were different. I never had abad one. It was a nice touch to have wine included. Soft drinks are also included at meals, in cabins, and at anyplace on board. Nothing is better than sitting on the pool deck and having the wait staff bring drinks...and not having to pay additionally for them. Bottled water is also available. The best feature that is now included is coffee from the Cova Cafe. WOW. On previous cruises I hadn't tried Cova because it cost additional money.. my mistake. A suggestion to Celebrity would be to include coupons for a few sample cups of Cova. After trying them, you will want more. IT's that good![/quote]

The more I hear about Azamara is shaping up the better I like it - I loved my previous trips with them and am so glad I have more on to come. In the end, given what matters to me, the product and pricing may be just right
If I think how much I paid for coffees and sodas on board, wine at meals, service charge etc etc and when I add in the new club credits, my OBC is going to cover about anything else :)

[quote name='uktog']The more I hear about Azamara is shaping up the better I like it - I loved my previous trips with them and am so glad I have more on to come. In the end, given what matters to me, the product and pricing may be just right
If I think how much I paid for coffees and sodas on board, wine at meals, service charge etc etc and when I add in the new club credits, my OBC is going to cover about anything else :)[/QUOTE]

Ditto!:)

I love the Iced Coffees they serve in the Cova Cafe, and as you say all these extras soon add up. I particularly like the 30mins internet for Elite members - what more can I ask for now? :)

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Last year when we did our ballon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]They broke out Turkish "champagne" and all we could think of [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]was ....WOW! this is so delicious..they refilled our glasses[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and then it dawned on us...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]It,s 7am in the morning, we haven't eaten and we have a full day [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]of sightseeing ahead of us!!! We better stop drinking![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]When we are in Turkey on Oct cruise..I'm tracking down that [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]champage and bringing a couple bottes back onboard![/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
Hey my husband and I will be doing a balloon ride in Cappadocia in June.
I'll ask about the Turkish "champagne" and report back. Oh by the way, how was the balloon ride?

Returned Journey yesterday, understand first cruise with free wine.
Unfortunately, as you described cheapo something. One red, one white lunch and dinner - they don't discuss pinot, chardonnay etc

While was OK with some, most table discussions were, "this is awful", try the white dear, it's a little better

However tips included great new benefit, we tipped pool waiters, alternate restaurant but much smaller amounts.

I am hoping they up the ante on wines to drinkable at minimum

Jackie301

[quote name='jackie301']Returned Journey yesterday, understand first cruise with free wine.
Unfortunately, as you described cheapo something. One red, one white lunch and dinner - they don't discuss pinot, chardonnay etc

While was OK with some, most table discussions were, "this is awful", try the white dear, it's a little better

However tips included great new benefit, we tipped pool waiters, alternate restaurant but much smaller amounts.

I am hoping they up the ante on wines to drinkable at minimum

Jackie301[/quote]

So, I take it NO one liked the wine served? wow, can't wait to see how awful it truly is...curious to say the least.

[quote name='acruisergirl']Hey my husband and I will be doing a balloon ride in Cappadocia in June.
I'll ask about the Turkish "champagne" and report back. Oh by the way, how was the balloon ride?[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]A highlight of our adventure in Cappadocia![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Keep in mind its VERY chilly in that early in the morning, so have a jacket [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and some mittens![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Unlike the free undrinkable wine on previous Azamara cruises,this time the wine was actually good. Although, I usually don't drink wine much, I did have some wine with my meals. I drank it because it was there. Would I have had wine if it wasn't included? No. I usually am happy with water, coffee, or ice tea.

[quote name='Redtravel']Unlike the free undrinkable wine on previous Azamara cruises,this time the wine was actually good. Although, I usually don't drink wine much, I did have some wine with my meals. I drank it because it was there. Would I have had wine if it wasn't included? No. I usually am happy with water, coffee, or ice tea.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, and as a red wine drinker, the house reds were of dubious quality IMHO -- perhaps the whites were better. If this was an improvement over AZ's previous offerings, those must have been like drinking Chateau de Spit Bucket!

The "free" Cova coffees, bottled water and soft drinks were a MAJOR plus! Beers and mixed drinks were excellent, included gratuities, and were reasonably priced.

Full review will be posted as soon as my addled brain returns to normal.

Archived