Any feedback on "house wines" from current cruisers?

Lobbylin

Thanks red Travel for your input on the current topic, lets hope to hear more from past and current Azamara Guests on this subject, we can all relate to our favorite Wines, but I am more interested in the Brand names and types of Wines being served on the Azamara. Thanks again to those who are keeping us up-to-date on their Azamara wine experiences:cool:

I agree with Palamoh - I am more interested in brand names. What I like, someone else might think is absolutely horrible. There are so many variations in taste.

When we were on the Journey in March, one of the bartenders showed us a list of the wines that Azamara was going to be serving. They were brands that you would recognize. Unfortunately, I was enjoying a martini at the time and cannot remember a single one:)!

Well, I imagine they are not getting their wine from Wal-Mart so it could be worse.

I like big reds, so I might be in trouble.

The latest specials at Wal-Mart do look interesting though:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc
9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
7. World Championship Riesling
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
3. I Can't Believe it's not Vinegar
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante

[quote name='Zoolander']Well, I imagine they are not getting their wine from Wal-Mart so it could be worse.

9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante[/quote]

:D :D :D :D :eek: Thanks for the laugh!

[quote name='palamoh']Thanks red Travel for your input on the current topic, lets hope to hear more from past and current Azamara Guests on this subject, we can all relate to our favorite Wines, but I am more interested in the Brand names and types of Wines being served on the Azamara. Thanks again to those who are keeping us up-to-date on their Azamara wine experiences:cool:[/quote]

I agree with you completely, We all have different tastes and it would be nice to know the wineries the wine is coming from in order to make a opinion. I look forward to trying...that is the fun part:p:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Don't knock Wal Mart wines. Wal Mart does stock wine (and other items) according to the population demographics they are serving in that particular area. Perhaps you need to visit a more upscale region.

I know our two local Wal Marts sell some of the brands and types (European, "New World," and Australian/N.Z.) that were mentioned throughout this thread.

Does anyone have any names and vintages from the labels?

I always remember the Cunard Princess & Countess where they served "Andre" as the "sham-pagne" at the Captain's party - the bottle was always swathed in a napkin.

Andre; Marque Couvert.......

Picking complimentary wines is always difficult for a cruise line since they must balance cost with general appeal. I've been on both Regent & Seabourn cruises where the served wines elicited many complaints yet objectively they were good wines--good labels, good reviews, right price. So often, as with food, it's a matter of taste, expectations and experience.

Lest I offend anyone let me rephrase my post that was mysteriously removed. I really saw no reason to remove what I was saying....
According to Mr. P the president of the line, house wines are to be selected from the regions the ship is currently sailing in. I wonder if this is the case or are they serving whatever they can get at the time at the price point they choose. We are mostly satisfied past passengers with 2 one week back to back coming up on the Journey in September and then 2 weeks on the Quest in January. We have been quite loyal to Azamara but do not look at everything with "rose colored glasses".

[quote name='schmidlapp']Lest I offend anyone let me rephrase my post that was mysteriously removed. I really saw no reason to remove what I was saying....
According to Mr. P the president of the line, house wines are to be selected from the regions the ship is currently sailing in. I wonder if this is the case or are they serving whatever they can get at the time at the price point they choose. We are mostly satisfied past passengers with 2 one week back to back coming up on the Journey in September and then 2 weeks on the Quest in January. We have been quite loyal to Azamara but do not look at everything with "rose colored glasses".[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]sometimes using glasses that are rose colored or that reflect a situtation as half full instead of half empty isn't a bad thing.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]My experience is... if you are actively looking for crap [B]you will find it. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]It's important to have a wait and see until you are actually on the ship [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]instead of jumping on the negativity bandwagon that has been on this [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]board for the last couple of months. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Im not directing this statement to you personally, but as a general comment/observation[/COLOR][/SIZE]

With our 4th and 5th Azamara sailings coming up, how can that be read as negative. A lot had to be good for us to make this future commitment. Check out my review of our Journey trip End of January. I was very positive and I have to say I was always told to look at bright side of things. BUT I also have a right to be objective. As far as the wines go,
I just repeated what was told to us about what to expect. I suspect they will be just fine, but don't know. Certainly the most recent wine reviews have been [B]very[/B] mixed.

[quote name='schmidlapp']With our 4th and 5th Azamara sailings coming up, how can that be read as negative. A lot had to be good for us to make this future commitment. Check out my review of our Journey trip End of January. I was very positive and I have to say I was always told to look at bright side of things. BUT I also have a right to be objective. As far as the wines go,
I just repeated what was told to us about what to expect. I suspect they will be just fine, but don't know. Certainly the most recent wine reviews have been [B]very[/B] mixed.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I said it wasn't pointed at you...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]The wine reviews will be mixed because wine is subjective to the palate..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]as with food you can't please everyone all the time ...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and I checked out your review the day it was hot off the press..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]thank you for taking your time..it's appreciated[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana]We very much enjoyed the complementary wines when we were recently aboard [I]Journey[/I] for the 14-nite eastbound transAtlantic crossing. Each day, a different white & red were available. Wines were on a 7-day rotation which repeated in identical order the following week. We thought most of the wines were very drinkable & some were exceptional.

I noted only a few labels but here’s the varieties we were served.[/FONT]

[U][FONT=Verdana]White[/FONT][/U]

[FONT=Verdana]Sunday – R Collection Chardonnay ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]California[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Monday – Santa Alicia Sauvignon Blanc ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Chile[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Tuesday – Albarino Chardonnay ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Spain[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Wednesday – Pinot Grigio ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Italy[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Thursday – Chardonnay ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]France[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Friday – Footprint Chardonnay ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]South Africa[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Saturday – Sauvignon Blanc ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]New Zealand[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]

[U][FONT=Verdana]Red[/FONT][/U]

[FONT=Verdana]Sunday – Goodnight Merlot ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]California[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Monday – Santa Alicia Cabernet Sauvignon ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Chile[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Tuesday – Tinta Roriz (Portugal)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Wednesday – Chianti ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Italy[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Thursday – Cabernet Sauvignon (France)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Friday – Footprint [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Shiraz[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]South Africa[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Saturday – [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Shiraz[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Australia[/FONT][FONT=Verdana])

I should note that servers were very generous in pouring these complementary wines at both lunch & dinner. They seemed very eager to keep your glass topped up without being asked. Nicely done Azamara. :):)
[/FONT]

[quote name='WooKeef']Sounds like quite the lovely luncheon you had today. I typically have shyed away from most whites...and I despise Chardonnay, honestly I do not know what pallate you have to have to like it.
.[/quote]

I have hated every Chardonnay I have ever tasted, BUT, was just on Celebrity Century and took the Reidel Glass comparative class. The Chardonnay tastes completely different in a Reidel Glass. It was actually drinkable.

Here is the list of the complimentary wines on Journey last cruise. Note that some of the wines we were served on the transatlantic are listed as substitutes, so they may be different on future cruises or the Quest. There were also 50% off wines available each day and those are listed as well.

As Linda posted on her live thread, we thought they were all pretty good.

[quote name='mark_e']Here is the list of the complimentary wines on Journey last cruise. Note that some of the wines we were served on the transatlantic are listed as substitutes, so they may be different on future cruises or the Quest. There were also 50% off wines available each day and those are listed as well.

As Linda posted on her live thread, we thought they were all pretty good.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Thanks Mark![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=green]I just want to comment on Bonny Doon Chardonnay[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Bonny Doon is one of our favorite local wineries![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]It's named after a wonderful beach and old logging town north of Santa Cruz[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]The sunsets here are beautiful and the scent from the local lavendar fields [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]
combined with a glass of wine make this a very relaxing and romantic [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]place to visit![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Jade13']I have hated every Chardonnay I have ever tasted, BUT, was just on Celebrity Century and took the Reidel Glass comparative class. The Chardonnay tastes completely different in a Reidel Glass. It was actually drinkable.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I know the feeling I always HATED red wine across the board[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Until[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]the kind folks at Sterling Vineyards in Napa pulled out a reserve Cabernet and then gave me a piece of Scharffen Berger chocolate to melt in my mouth [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo] I was then instructed to sip the wine[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]WHOA!!!!! a convert was born! I love red wine now as it was a completly different experience![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.scharffenberger.com/"][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]http://www.scharffenberger.com/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

Yes, thanks again for the list.

I am somewhat underwhelmed, and as I predicted in the first place the "free" wines seem to be in the £3 to $5 a bottle trade price range.

I wonder how many folk of the $300,000 demographic drink those wines at home.

All cruise line do the same. Ever tried the "free" wines with Silversea ? Don't even think about drinking those from Seabourn. I can not believe those of Azamara are even worse than those on Seabourn. ! Were you expecting the bottles that are in the 20 or 30 range ?:confused:
By the way, I think the challenge is much bigger to find a 3 or 5 $ wine that is nice and drinkable. You might be surprised what good wines will be available for that price. When serving higher priced wines, you usually will get a more complex wine that is A) not suitable or preferable for “everyone” and B) usually needs the right food with it as well. What Azamara is serving will be the more easy to drink wines. I think that’s a great choice !

[quote name='Bollinge']Yes, thanks again for the list.

I am somewhat underwhelmed, and as I predicted in the first place the "free" wines seem to be in the £3 to $5 a bottle trade price range.

I wonder how many folk of the $300,000 demographic drink those wines at home.[/quote]

[quote name='Bollinge']Yes, thanks again for the list.

I wonder how many folk of the $300,000 demographic drink those wines at home.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Living in the SFO Bay Area...I'm surrounded by A LOT of millionaires[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I'm also within driving distances to the "wine country" as you might know it and secondary wine countrys in California such as Santa Cruz, Paso Robles and Santa Barbara...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We are inundated with rich certifiable wine snobs who know their stuff..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]they can be found driving their very expensive cars, and houses with [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]
wine coolers and/or cellers...(Keep in mind ...a million dollar house here would only have 3 bedrooms/2 baths and NO property)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo] sipping a glass of wine that is known as[COLOR=red] 2 buck Chuck[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]So, I don't think it's really that fair to be knocking lower priced bottles of wine, a price tag is not the defining answer
whether it's an enjoyable wine[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]To learn more about the 2 dollar bottle of wine..it's awards [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]and the very interesting gentleman who is of the owners[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I've provided a few links for you. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine"][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Here's the 2nd link[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/05/news/companies/Two_Buck_Chuck.biz2/index.htm"][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/05/news/companies/Two_Buck_Chuck.biz2/index.htm[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Also don't forget the Judgement of Paris, as a Brit wine drinker, Im sure [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you remember this...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine"][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen])[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Another case of people judging a book by its cover, that British wine merchant was quite SHOCKED that what he thought
he was sooo sure of, he was totally wrong[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Zoolander']Well, I imagine they are not getting their wine from Wal-Mart so it could be worse.

9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante[/quote]

I'm from the south so... how about Red Neck Reisling? LOL