Hi - embarrassing question

DrSeuss

Learned something new today, always pronounced it wrong:o

I used to pronounce it like the french three - trois

Simple...

You Ess Ver Gin Eye lands

(sorry, I couldn't resist. That trick got me through many newscasts. ;))

Reminds me of an old joke.................

A man and his wife were driving their RV across Florida and were nearing a town called Kissimmee. They noted the strange spelling and tried to figure how to pronounce it -- KISS-a-me; kis-A-me; kis-a-ME?

They grew more perplexed as they drove into the town. Since they were hungry, they pulled into a restaurant to get something to eat. At the counter, the man said to the waitress, "My wife and I can't seem to be able to figure out how to pronounce this place. Will you tell me where we are and say it very slowly so that I can understand?"

The woman looked at him and said; "Buuurrrgerrr Kiiiinnnng."

:)

Reminds me of an old joke. :)

Which reminds me of an even older Benny Hill joke:

Couple gets off the plane in Hawaii. The whole flight they were arguing about how to pronounce it. So they stop the first person they see at the airport.

"Excuse me, do you pronounce it "Ha why ee" or "Ha Vi Ah"

"Ha Vi Ah"

"Thank you"

"You're velcom"

Reminds me of an old joke.................

A man and his wife were driving their RV across Florida and were nearing a town called Kissimmee. They noted the strange spelling and tried to figure how to pronounce it -- KISS-a-me; kis-A-me; kis-a-ME?

They grew more perplexed as they drove into the town. Since they were hungry, they pulled into a restaurant to get something to eat. At the counter, the man said to the waitress, "My wife and I can't seem to be able to figure out how to pronounce this place. Will you tell me where we are and say it very slowly so that I can understand?"

The woman looked at him and said; "Buuurrrgerrr Kiiiinnnng."

:)

ROTFL... hadn't heard that one before... :D

There is a lake in the Northeast United States.

It is South of the city of Worcester, Massachusetts.

It is Northeast of the city of Quinebaug, Connecticut.

It is Northwest of the city of Pascoag, Rhode Island.

Now some pronunciations of each of these cities and states are extremely varying.

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

Of course, someone from Boston, Massachusetts will now chime in that its shortcut name is Webstuh Lake.

How do you pronounce St Croix?:o

I knew how to pronounce that but did not know Dominica was Dom e ni ca.

I also learned it is the Car- i- bee- an (not car rib be an). It is named after the Caribe Indians.

Amzing what you learn when you go to these places <G>

Yup.

It's pronounced in French like "trois" (the number 3) but in English, French words ending in -oix are usually pronounced "-oy"

We have the St. Croix River here in the midwest. It's St. "Croy" here. Having spent a year in French school, I cringe.

Don't even get me started on Des Plaines (Dezz Planes), IL...I hate it! :)

We have the St. Croix River here in the midwest. It's St. "Croy" here. Having spent a year in French school, I cringe.

Don't even get me started on Des Plaines (Dezz Planes), IL...I hate it! :)

Oh, TELL me about it!! I embarrass myself every time I go visit my MIL in Missouri. Most of the towns near her were named by French fur traders, but settled by farmers. So, the names have been anglicized, and I have to force myself (like stop, translate back to the American pronunciation) to NOT use the French pronunciation of St. Genevieve. They look at me like I'm crazy when I do it wrong!

I have trained myself to say "Saint Croy" instead of "San Craw" (rolling the "r"). I have always said "Cari-bee-un".

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

Of course, someone from Boston, Massachusetts will now chime in that its shortcut name is Webstuh Lake.

...I'm from Boston and I will say that I was taught that the name of that lake in Indian means, You fish on your side of the lake, I'll fish on my side of the lake and nobody fish in the middle of the lake...Maureen

I've always heard that pronounced as St Croy.

Now I go to the Car-i-bee-an on Royal Car-rib-be-an.

Can we discuss the word "pecan"? I really hate it when I hear "pee-can" as that denotes the can kept under the bed at night before indoor plumbing.

Archived