Venice. Any ideas? How about Newark? :)

Ms belp

I have been to Venice in Florida and California and I think one in the midwest somewhere and to one in Italy.

I have been to Newark in Ohio, Delaware and New Jersey.

Generally speaking, I preferred Venice, but I don't necessarily understand your question.

If, in fact, you're talking about Italy, Venice is my favorite place to visit. It is the one place I have been that is exactly like the movies. I love to just wander the streets, stop in the shops, churches, etc. We once sat on the steps opposite the basilica and drank a split of wine (from the bottle) (classy, I know) and watched the people. It was November so the plaza wasn't very crowded.

I love Venice!

Vic

I'm just curious about who has been to these places and what they would recommend. Please don't tell me to go elsewhere.

I've been to both Venice Italy and to Venice California.

I presume you are talking about Venice Italy. Take a vaporetto on the Grand Canal and enjoy seeing the sights alongside, including the Bridge of Sighs above and across the canal, where prisoners used to walk.

Go to St Mark's Square (it is one of the stops on the Grand Canal vaporettos) and have a coffee at one of the sidewalk tables. It costs extra to sit there but the people watching is worth it. Also, sometimes there are musicians to listen to.

Be sure you also go inside the cathedral there.

Walk around some of the small streets away from the canals. You'll get a feel for the local life in Venice.

Browse in the shops. There are some beautiful items. Prices are in Euros.

You didn't say how long you'd be in Venice so I don't know if you'll have time to visit the glassblowers on the isle of Murano. But if you can do that it is very interesting.

Have a great time.

I don't know anything about Newark. Is that Newark, New Jersey??

Quite frankly, I'd do Venice, Italy over Newark, NJ any day!

If I were in Jersey, I think I'd go to the shore or Cape May.

I've been to Venice. I like Venice. Venice is beautiful... and I've been to Newark. Newark is not at all like Venice ;)

Never thought I'd see the two of them asked about in the same subject

I've been to Venice. I like Venice. Venice is beautiful... and I've been to Newark. Newark is not at all like Venice ;)

Me either!!

I think I'd go over to New York instead....:eek:

I'm just curious about who has been to these places and what they would recommend. Please don't tell me to go elsewhere.

If you're going to be in Venice for at least a day, I'd suggest the book 24 Walks in Venice. You can buy it on Amazon.com

I noticed it there today when I was researching travel books for our September Northern Europe cruise.

If, in fact, you're talking about Italy, Venice is my favorite place to visit. It is the one place I have been that is exactly like the movies. I love to just wander the streets, stop in the shops, churches, etc. We once sat on the steps opposite the basilica and drank a split of wine (from the bottle) (classy, I know) and watched the people. It was November so the plaza wasn't very crowded.

I love Venice!

Vic

Thank you Vic. The others did make me laugh although you actually responded to my vague question. I've never been to Venice, ITALY and didn't know exactly what to expect. The transportation system is supposed to be on strike right after we arrive so I think we will be walking the streets as well.:)

If someone has ever been to Newark, NEW JERSEY I'd appreciate some advice as well. I have no idea what to expect.:o

If you're going to be in Venice for at least a day, I'd suggest the book 24 Walks in Venice. You can buy it on Amazon.com

I noticed it there today when I was researching travel books for our September Northern Europe cruise.

Thank you NMLady. Since I work for a bookstore I will look for it. As I stated previously, the transportation system is supposed to be on strike. Walking is going to be the way to go. Thanks again!:)

You know me mbisson. We share Blazing Saddles memories! :D I'm all over the place.

Quite frankly, I'd do Venice, Italy over Newark, NJ any day!

If I were in Jersey, I think I'd go to the shore or Cape May.

Okay, as I said I'm all over the place. My stepmom loved Cape May and I love seeing pictures of the old Victorian homes. Is it hard to get to from Newark? Remember, I'm a Texas girl and everything takes at least half a day to get to.

Still don't understand why anyone would want to go to Newark but to each his own. Last time I was there, we were on a geneology research trip. It was not a nice place. We ended calling 911 because there was a drunk guy in the little park, passes out on the ground. He messed his pants. the flies were all buzzung aroud him and he had fallen out of his wheelchair. I made my sister poke him with a stick to see if he was alive. That is my memory of Newark.

You sure you still want to go?

Thank you Vic. The others did make me laugh although you actually responded to my vague question. I've never been to Venice, ITALY and didn't know exactly what to expect. The transportation system is supposed to be on strike right after we arrive so I think we will be walking the streets as well.:)

If someone has ever been to Newark, NEW JERSEY I'd appreciate some advice as well. I have no idea what to expect.:o

I have spent a long day in Venice, Italy. If there is a transportation strike there when you arrive, I imagine the water taxi people will be raking in the money. A water taxi is quite pricey, whereas a vaporetto is like riding a bus, it has routes and stops and you get around by looking at the map. What we did was get out of a vaporetto from the main station on the piece of solid land where all the parking is. We drove around the island and got off around the bridge of sighs and from then on we WALKED. We wandered around, I got blisters, walked around some more and found St. Mark's Square. We had a fun time, found a neat pizza place that offered a dinner special located in some small alley and then we wandered to the nearest vaporetto stop and motored back to the mainland.

Make sure you have comfy shoes, (mine were even broken in but I got a blister in a really odd spot) have some bandaids and enjoy the sights. It is a really interesting city. You will love it.

As for Newark...... well ....... it says you can get the train from the airport is about 30 mins. there is a bus as well, if you google it and find some options. You might want to look up the crime statistics for Newark while you're googling. :D

Have a wonderful trip, and very happy sailing!!

Still don't understand why anyone would want to go to Newark but to each his own. Last time I was there, we were on a geneology research trip. It was not a nice place. We ended calling 911 because there was a drunk guy in the little park, passes out on the ground. He messed his pants. the flies were all buzzung aroud him and he had fallen out of his wheelchair. I made my sister poke him with a stick to see if he was alive. That is my memory of Newark.

You sure you still want to go?

Ah! so we finally meet! I still have the stick in my back.lol

Not helping, even though it's funny. If we stay at the airport hotel until time to go to the other airport will we be okay? Can we see anything?

Thanks for thinking I'm funny, it makes up for my lack of knowledge about the airport in Newark. I hope someone else will come along and be more help. Sorry :(

Maybe if you posted a new thread along the lines of: Landing in Newark! Is New York viable for a visit?

good luck!

Hi:

I am a retired Police Officer in a community adjacent to Newark.I know the are like the back of my hand... I assume you are flying into Newark Airport. Someone said the area around the airport is not nice and that is really not accurate. The airport is pretty much located at the intersection of highways and is in an industrial area. There are loads of hotels of all brands, a very nice Marriott right on Hotel Property. I would not suggest you go into Newark proper as it is not the safest area, except if you were to go into the Ironbound section which has some fabulous restaurtants, mostly Portugese and Spanish.

If you are looking for hotels in the area many will be on Rts 1 and 9 and many will have an Elizabeth Mailing address. Most of the airport is actually in Elizabeth so you shouldn't have a big problem with something on the highways...

Archived