Westerdam Caneletto?

NoWhiners

Hi all

We are taking a cruise through Panama Canal (full transit) in April 2011. I have been reading a lot about the Canaletto and I think this might be a nice alternative to MDR a couple if nights. Does the Westerdam have this available (it seems like it isn't offered on all ships now)?

Is it good? I know it's Italian but is the food better than Lido? Why?

Thanks for any insight

Mary Lynn

I believe that the Westerdam is due in dry-dock the first two weeks of April, so she should be there now! One of things that is supposed to be added is the Cannaletto. This shouldn't be too very difficult to accomplish as it is simply an intimate (no-charge) Italian restaurant that is added at one end of the Lido in the evenings. Reservations are not required, but I would suggest you make them as it is a very popular place. (At least we have found this to be true on the other HAL ships that have the Cannaletto). I hope they are including it on the Westerdam, as we are sailing on her in August and it is one of our favorite places to eat on board.

Just FYI - here is the menu, and yes - it is much better than the normal Lido fare. Our favorite is the Penne alla Vodka, which is just fabulous, and the Trio of Tiramisu for dessert - yummy!

Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon

Enjoy, and Smooth Sailing Always! :)

They change the decor also. (See Copper John's blog from the Osterdam last week) The waiters wear different clothes, they have more Italian wines, they bring out a beautiful tray of Italian antipasto. Makes you feel like you are in Italy! Also the waiters change their names to something Italian--Like Giovanni and Gelato (?). No singing of Sole Mio though! Grazie!

Hi all

We are taking a cruise through Panama Canal (full transit) in April 2011. I have been reading a lot about the Canaletto and I think this might be a nice alternative to MDR a couple if nights. Does the Westerdam have this available (it seems like it isn't offered on all ships now)?

Is it good? I know it's Italian but is the food better than Lido? Why?

Thanks for any insight

Mary Lynn

Westerdam is in dry dock from April 4-14. When she emerges, she will have Canaletto

Just off the Westerdam last Sunday, right before she went into drydock. As others have posted, Canaletto will be added then. It was slightly confusing on our cruise, as the dining location hours were listed on the back of the program, with Canaletto included among them (it was always "closed"). Some asked the CD when this mysterious Canaletto would be open, and he replied "in ten days, after drydock!" ;)

Just got off the Zuiderdam today. Caneletto was added during her drydock immediately preceeding our cruise. Fabulous! Even though it's a limited menu, the food and service was first class. You need to make a reservation within 48 hours of when you plan to eat. We ate there on two formal nights, dining in "smart casual." It was a terrific alternative to the dining room. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Just got off the Zuiderdam today. Caneletto was added during her drydock immediately preceeding our cruise. Fabulous! Even though it's a limited menu, the food and service was first class. You need to make a reservation within 48 hours of when you plan to eat. We ate there on two formal nights, dining in "smart casual." It was a terrific alternative to the dining room. I HIGHLY recommend it.

We enjoyed dining there on the Eurodam and the Oosterdam very much. What was your favorite dish? We loved the penne alla vodka and the tiramisu trio for dessert. We are so glad to know we can experience the Canaletto again on our Westerdam cruise in August. :)

For those who have had it, what is the lemon tiramisu like? I generally hate lemon but if it is a fairly light taste, I can choke it down. I love tiramisu so would probably try this and skip the lemon one if I don"t like it (huuby loves lemon so it won't go to waste!!).

Mary Lynn

Archived