FAMILY FRIENDLY Fort Lauderdale Hotel

crusinmama06

Yes, now I am the one asking for opinions. :D

I've stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Fort Lauderdale before our Independence cruise (AWESOME hotel - gorgeous - would recommend) but this time we want to stay closer to the port. I'll post the link to the Westin...in case anyone has a rental car before their cruise...

http://www.diplomatresort.com/

I thought I could grab a room at Embassy Suites -- my stand by -- but it's booked solid :eek:

I have a hard time looking at the recomendations from the other cruisers because the hotels look more like for business travelers than for family cruisers. I don't care that there is a hopping martini bar :p

So -- does anyone have a nice, family friendly hotel that they like to stay in when in Fort Lauderdale?

Well not this one, it was surrounded by bandits wearing masks ...

MIA_0255.jpg

MIA_0258.jpg

And yes, these pictures were really taken at a Ft. Lauderdale hotel that was very close to the FLL airport.

Those pictures were actually taken in my backyard one late fall evening while I was wearing Cuizer2's shoes! Michelle, I wish I could help you, but I've completely forgotten the name of the great hotel we stayed at in FLL the day before our Jewel cruise. The rooms were basically suites (with that separate little sofa bed area), and two double beds. The four of us were very comfortable. Wonderful breakfast buffet! We didn't use the pool. This was a CC group cruise (The Family Jewels) on 4-16-06, and was on the group board for a long time. The group leader was a poster named "curly4dana". The hotel was recommended, and we all stayed there....about a 5-10 minute ride to the pier, and the hotel provided shuttles. It really was very nice. You are much better at using "Search" than I am, so maybe you can find out the name of this place. Right across the front parking lot was a great Mexican restaurant and some shops. I know you'll find something great.

Those pictures were actually taken in my backyard one late fall evening while I was wearing Cuizer2' shoes! Michelle, I wish I could help you, but I've completely forgotten the name of the great hotel we stayed at in FLL the day before our Jewel cruise. The rooms were basically suites (with that separate little sofa bed area), and two double beds. The four of us were very comfortable. Wonderful breakfast buffet! We didn't use the pool. This was a CC group cruise (The Family Jewels) on 4-16-06, and was on the group board for a long time. The group leader was a poster named "curly4dana". The hotel was recommended, and we all stayed there....about a 5-10 minute ride to the pier, and the hotel provided shuttles. It really was very nice. You are much better at using "Search" than I am, so maybe you can find out the name of this place. Right across the front parking lot was a great Mexican restaurant and some shops. I know you'll find something great.

I still have those shoes. The pictures were taken in August 2004.

I still have those shoes. The pictures were taken in August 2004.

Loved your pictures! I still have shoes since before the Dawn of Time, when we cruised on ice floes and did shore excursions on land bridges between continents.

I've stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Fort Lauderdale before our Independence cruise (AWESOME hotel - gorgeous - would recommend) but this time we want to stay closer to the port. I'll post the link to the Westin...in case anyone has a rental car before their cruise...

I thought I could grab a room at Embassy Suites -- my stand by -- but it's booked solid :eek:

I have a hard time looking at the recomendations from the other cruisers because the hotels look more like for business travelers than for family cruisers. I don't care that there is a hopping martini bar :p

So -- does anyone have a nice, family friendly hotel that they like to stay in when in Fort Lauderdale?

Great post. I hope there is a lot of response as we're looking for the same in May. We'd like to be on the beach, and will chime in if we get any good leads. !!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

I started checking my member reward cards to see if I had points to somewhere leftover and I had rewards with ICH hotel group which meant that we could get the new Crowne Plaza Hotel Cruise Port for $60 :D

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/FLLHI/hoteldetail

I guess this is the closest hotel to the cruise port and has free shuttle to the airport and cruise port. And a pool on the roof. :D

To answer CB about being Family Friendly -- actually yes, it does have to be family friendly because we have been to hotels that have been very very nice -- and very very expensive and have had nothing for the kids to do. They would have been great for my husband and I as a couple, but throw the kids in and it was not a good match.

Mandarin Oriental in Miami was one such place. We couldn't get drinks for the kids -- anywhere. There was nothing around the hotel to just go and grab some quick snacks. Everything had to come from their room service. And a PB&J at the Mandarin Oriental was $16.99. :eek: As a hotel -- it is constantly rated as one of the best in the world. For kids -- its just not practical. ;)

Great post. I hope there is a lot of response as we're looking for the same in May. We'd like to be on the beach, and will chime in if we get any good leads. !!!

The Westin Diplomat was on the Beach.

Lisa's suggestion is on the beach and looks very nice!

http://www.lagomar.com/

And this place...I keep saying that ONE DAY, I am going to try it out. It has a lazy river. It's one of those places that you'll need a rental car to get to (no shuttle). It's called the Pelican Grand Beach Resort.

http://www.pelicanbeach.com/

We have stayed at the La Quinta Dania Beach hotel. Its not on the beach but has a pool and is within walking distance of a Dave & Busters (games/food like an older kid chuckie cheese), Restaurants and a movie theater. They offer free breakfast and a shuttle to the port. We have stayed there twice, very nice and affordable too.

We stayed at the Pelican Beach resort and really enjoyed it. We just used a taxi for getting to the port. Kids were 14,13,11.

Do you happen to remember taxi costs for that one?

We have stayed at the La Quinta Dania Beach hotel. Its not on the beach but has a pool and is within walking distance of a Dave & Busters (games/food like an older kid chuckie cheese), Restaurants and a movie theater. They offer free breakfast and a shuttle to the port. We have stayed there twice, very nice and affordable too.

Awesome, thanks for the added option! :D This is getting to be a great little thread.

We stayed at the Cambria Suites. It just opened in January. It was nice enough. We had a corner room with a sitting area with a pull out couch that was seperate from the bedroom. We will stay there again. Free shuttles.

We enjoyed Sheraton Yankee clipper/ trader on FTL beach. Close to everything. Pool & beach.

I live down here and no question about it, this hotel is my choice. Located on the beach and you could actually walk to the 17th Street bridge port entrance. It has just been remodeled and actually has a famous bar which was featured in a movie or two. For the life of me I have no idea why when this question is asked people rarely speak of this hotel. It is HUGE and perfectly located. Prices have always been affordable as well.

I live down here and no question about it, this hotel is my choice. Located on the beach and you could actually walk to the 17th Street bridge port entrance. It has just been remodeled and actually has a famous bar which was featured in a movie or two. For the life of me I have no idea why when this question is asked people rarely speak of this hotel. It is HUGE and perfectly located. Prices have always been affordable as well.

Where have you been?????? :eek: I could have used you last week when I booked the Crown Plaza! So should I cancel my booking? Seriously. You know I trust and value your opinion, so do you think the new Crown Plaza at the port entrance isn't a good choice?

The price was $60 (using rewards points)

I think I have points at the Sheraton too so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship. ;)

Where have you been?????? :eek: I could have used you last week when I booked the Crown Plaza! So should I cancel my booking? Seriously. You know I trust and value your opinion, so do you think the new Crown Plaza at the port entrance isn't a good choice?

The price was $60 (using rewards points)

I think I have points at the Sheraton too so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship. ;)

The kids would have more fun at the Sheriton on the beach, big pool, easy stroll to the shops on A1A and restaurants. Check out the prices, especially if you have the points. I think I have usually paid 75.00 per night the few times I have stayed. (Florida resident discount). I guess it would all depend on what time you are getting in or if you plan to stay after, that being said 60 bucks for the Crown is nice. Outside of the Sheriton being a more fun location it would be tough to beat.

The kids would have more fun at the Sheriton on the beach, big pool, easy stroll to the shops on A1A and restaurants. Check out the prices, especially if you have the points. I think I have usually paid 75.00 per night the few times I have stayed. (Florida resident discount). I guess it would all depend on what time you are getting in or if you plan to stay after, that being said 60 bucks for the Crown is nice. Outside of the Sheriton being a more fun location it would be tough to beat.

I just checked, it's $45 using the Starwood points I have for the Sheraton. So, it's cheaper than the Crown Plaza.

It looks like the Sheraton has no shuttle -- which the Crown has a free shuttle from the airport and to the port.

So, you know the area. I am sitting here in PA. ;) I have been reading over the reviews and it looks like the Crown is stuck on a highway and it has nothing around the hotel -- so once we got to the Crown, we would be stuck AT the Crown.

The Sheraton has the water taxi and the BEACH. That's a huge plus. But has no shuttle. So now we would have to pay for the taxi to the airport and the port. Which shouldn't be that much of a problem, right?

It is only about a mile or so on the same road as the entrance (17th street) to the Port. You could easily walk it (not with luggage though) but a cab ride would be the minimum. I say go for the Sheriton at that price. You can walk across the street and take the water taxi which is a lot of fun. There is a fun restaurant a couple blocks from the Hotel called the Oasis Cafe. You sit outside in these picnic table looking swings and view the beach. You have the Beach Place mall within walking distance. I think you and the girls would enjoy it. As a point of reference, If you have cruised out of Fort Lauderdale before you will remember in the port area you can see a bridge, which is 17th street and one of the entrances to the Port.

Ok Rolloman, my hotel stay is in your hands. ;) I just cancelled the Crown Plaza and booked the Sheraton. You're right anyway. We've been to too many nice hotels that just had NOTHING around it. The Sheraton is on the beach. It has the water taxi. I even took a look at that Oasis restaurant you were talking about. :D

So I am all set. I really appreciate it.

Now let's hope the hurricane stay away or I will be watching a hurricane from that same beach. :p

What's wrong with a hopping Martini bar?? :confused: Drink up girlie! :D

What's wrong with a hopping Martini bar?? :confused: Drink up girlie! :D

Well the "Oasis restaurant" has swinging tables in the sand and has a killer drink menu ;)

I can't drink because I am cursed with killer migraines but friends of mine are joining us on this one so they are looking forward to those swinging tables! :D

BTW Sas, one of these days, YOU and I are going to have to get together and cruise one of these days.

Archived