Expired passport

macpiper

Has anyone ever used an "expired" passport for boarding documents in addition to photo ID?

The RCI website indicates that this is acceptable.

Domestic Sailing Requirements:

U.S. Citizens: A passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended as it will speed-up your check-in formalities as well as your departure procedures with government officials

Since passport lines are much shorter for "domestic" sailings when you disembark, I'd suggest you just renew the passport. It's good for 10 years and if you decide to go to Europe, you won't have to scramble to renew. With all the "new" security rules and regulations, I'd feel much better knowing that my passport was up to date and current.

My DH used an expired passport when we sailed on the Nordic Empress. But that was back in 1999. Things may be stricter because of heightened security. Depending on when your cruise is, I'd suggest renewing the passport or getting a certified copy of the birth certificate.

i was just on the radiance of the seas in december. my mom tried to use an expired passport and they wouldn't accept it as an id for boarding. she had to use dl and birth cert. but they did accept it when leaving the ship for immigration/customs. if she hadn't brought the birth cert. she would have been denied boarding.

Again, as a Proud Passport Pushers member (PPP) I feel that the position of the PPP is that all adults need to have a passport and when it expires you need to step up to the plate like an adult and renew it. The world is big and travel is a good reason to live.

jc

PS I am in the renew boat too, because my passport expires in November and in November I have another cruise! So I will actually renew before it expires. Just so you know I walk the talk!:D

i was just on the radiance of the seas in december. my mom tried to use an expired passport and they wouldn't accept it as an id for boarding. she had to use dl and birth cert. but they did accept it when leaving the ship for immigration/customs. if she hadn't brought the birth cert. she would have been denied boarding.

Curious that RCI's own documentation says that an expired passport is used to expedite immigration/customs. (see the original post).

Noticed that in other posts people have succesfully used expired passports with photo ID and/or birth certificates.

3 or 4 years ago, I was told by RCI that my expired passport was okay as long as I had a certified birth certificate. I didn't, so I had to call Jacksonville (I was born in Florida) and have them overnight a copy of my original birth certificate to the Fed Ex office in Ft. Lauderdale. We picked it up there on our way to the port for our cruise out of Ft. Laud. This was entirely my fault, I knew my passport was expired (they'd let me in and out of Canada with it being expired), but I assumed that I didn't need it to cruise in the Caribbean. I say, if you have time to get it done, then do it.

Carole

Departing the Carnival Fascination in December I presented a 1 month expired passport to immigration...I was told the new rule was the passport cannot be expired. As previously, you could use a US Passport that was expired up to 10 years. I did have my birth certificate and photo ID and this was acceptable. I have applied for my new passport which I hope to have by my next sailing in March on the Jewel!

I brought my expired passport on my last two cruises(along with birth certificate and ID). On our last cruise the US customs agent told me I should renew it, as soon it will probably be a requirement anyway. I dreaded the expense of a new passport, but since we're leaving in a few months for our next cruise, I bit the bullet and traveled to the Post Office. I was thrilled to find that if the old passport is less than 15 years old, you can renew via mail. Just get new pics($10) send a check for $55 (that price thrilled me) along with the old passport. Easy as pie! I also took the envelope directly to the post office window for their postage.

BTW...you can't use info on an expired passport for the on line guest information to expedite the boarding process.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations Donna! :)

My passport is just a couple of years old some I'm still good. I know they give conflicting info, but what they aren't saying is this . . . they may accept an expired passport at this time for boarding the ship, but they have no control over Immigration who may or may not let you back into the country when the cruise is over. For those of you planning a trip outside the borders of your country, I say get those passports!

Archived