Are Alaskan ports overcrowded

baycruising

I was on the brink of booking a cruise and then found that the cruise schedule showed four large cruise ships in each port we were visiting. How good is the shore experience with so many visitors ashore? We were thinking of "doing our own thing" when ashore - is that feasible. Is the character of the ports ruined by having so many visitors?

Anywhere you go, not just Alaska, to really experience the area you have to get away from town. The towns are not really too bad even with a few large ships in port. They are generally staggered port times as well, some earlier and just leaving shortly after others arrive. I have been up there with 3-4 ships in and I didn't really find it crowded. If you plan on 'doing your own thing' you will want to book early.

Yes, there has been a bit of a press of ships in Alaska and people, however with the reduced number of ships visiting Alaska this year I would think that this will make the Alaskan experience much more pleasant for those who make the trip this year.

The ports this last summer definately felt crowded to me compared to the summer of 2007. Of course almost every port had 4 to 6 ships docking and tendering. That is one reason that we booked excursions for out of town. But as Putterdue said they have pulled ships this summer and so hopefully this will help cut down on crowds for you. :)

Even with the crowds it still was a wonderful B2B cruise. We plan on making a another trip to Alaska again!:)

Yes the shopping areas are CROWDED. Loaded with people who either are temporaly there or don't know any better. :) Other's will have excellent plans that take them to the beauty of each port and on fantastic tours. Plans and reservations are necessary to have in place before you get there. :) Do your homework, and find out what is of interest for you to spend this very limited time.

I will take the passenger traffic in Alaska anyday over what we have experienced in the Caribbean.

I would have to agree about the Carribean, especially St. Thomas. I have yet to see what Alaska will be like. We have planned "out of town" excursions 3/4 ports. Hoping to be able to shop a little in the evening when the crowds die down.

I would have to agree about the Carribean, especially St. Thomas. I have yet to see what Alaska will be like. We have planned "out of town" excursions 3/4 ports. Hoping to be able to shop a little in the evening when the crowds die down.

To be honest, I don't think the crowds are that bad at all. I have NEVER come back from a port and said "the crowds are too much, I will never come back." Have a good time!

I would not say 'Overcrowded' For a person who has survived Grand Cayman, the amount of cruisers in towns are almost sparse.

john

Completely agree. It's going to take some hard convincing to get me back to GC.

With four ships in town on one day, I found Juneau to be a bit tight.

Not uncomfortably so, though, unless you planned on shopping.

The drivers did seem to be annoyed as the sidewalks were packed and people were spilling out onto the streets, jaywalking, and being typical tourists.

Once you got away from these areas though it was fine.

I was on the brink of booking a cruise and then found that the cruise schedule showed four large cruise ships in each port we were visiting. How good is the shore experience with so many visitors ashore? We were thinking of "doing our own thing" when ashore - is that feasible. Is the character of the ports ruined by having so many visitors?

Population of Skagway (summer): 1800

Population of one cruise ship: 2000

You decide.

All cruises Not excluding Alaskan cruises have the same port influx situation -

unless you go on one of those really expensive small scale-select cruises.

I have enjoyed all our port stops (even Noumea - which I wouldn't bother to go to again)

but I just love any holidays and I love cruising.

Lining up to get off the ship, for the buffet bar, and to get on the ship is worse than any crowds at ports.

At any port we were in there were 3+ ships at any one time. However, the arrivals and departures were staggered enough that I didn't find the crowds unbearable.

I did laugh at someone I heard commenting on Skagway--like Scottbee said, population 1800 (about the size of the town I live in). They were complaining that it was too touristy and crowded. How could anyone expect it to NOT be touristy immediately away from the docks? And crowded? Where do you think you're going to put 10,000+ people who get off the ships? We've been to Branson, MO numerous times and find that Skagway wasn't even close to as crowded as it tends to be.

At any port we were in there were 3+ ships at any one time. However, the arrivals and departures were staggered enough that I didn't find the crowds unbearable.

I did laugh at someone I heard commenting on Skagway--like Scottbee said, population 1800 (about the size of the town I live in). They were complaining that it was too touristy and crowded. How could anyone expect it to NOT be touristy immediately away from the docks? And crowded? Where do you think you're going to put 10,000+ people who get off the ships? We've been to Branson, MO numerous times and find that Skagway wasn't even close to as crowded as it tends to be.

Skagway's population is about 800 full time residents.

Archived