Getting a refund on a cruise rate drop?

Morning glory

I just checked the Carnival website and the total past guest rate for our 3 passenger room dropped almost $200. This is including fees/taxes. We`ve already made our final payment through our on-line travel agency so I sent an e-mail to our agent to see what can be done.

However, this is my first experience with this so I`m hoping a more veteran cruiser can share what the protocol is to get a refund and how it works.

I originally booked through the Carnival website, but then this agent was able to transfer the booking to his agency and offer a lower price.

Any info would be helpful . . . I`d like to seem educated when I finally speak to my agent, lol! :rolleyes:

I just checked the Carnival website and the total past guest rate for our 3 passenger room dropped almost $200. This is including fees/taxes. We`ve already made our final payment through our on-line travel agency so I sent an e-mail to our agent to see what can be done.

However, this is my first experience with this so I`m hoping a more veteran cruiser can share what the protocol is to get a refund and how it works.

I originally booked through the Carnival website, but then this agent was able to transfer the booking to his agency and offer a lower price.

Any info would be helpful . . . I`d like to seem educated when I finally speak to my agent, lol! :rolleyes:

From what I've read from othet people on the CC board is that once final payment is made, your refund should come back to you in the form of an OBC (on board credit) - however, this might differ slightly with each cruise line. I've never had that happen where I was already paid in full AND then the price dropped - had it happen before final payment was due. You shouldn't worry but do try to keep on top of things with your TA to make sure Carnival is aware of the $200 drop in price. If you don't end up spending the whole $200, you will have a credit on your credit card. Chances are though with 3 people, you will probably spend the whole $200 and thensome as automatic tips are $10/pp per day.

Did you book Early Saver? That's the only way you'll get OBC after final payment date.

The only other option if after final payment (and not Early Saver) is a possible upgrade.

I cant see when you are booked?? As everyone else says, the key is are you before or after final payment.

If you are past final payment, ask your TA about upgrading. What category now matches the price you paid. Do a fake booking and check it out.

No, we didn`t book Early Saver because they had no connecting rooms available at that rate. So, an upgrade wouldnt work for us either. :(

Frankly, I was surprised to see the price drop since I kept seeing the warnings on the Carnival website that their cruise rates would increase sometime at the end of March.

So it sounds like if my TA responds with `Sorry, you`re out of luck` at least I`ll know he may not just be blowing me off.

(BTW, I`d be happy with a OBC.)

No, we didn`t book Early Saver because they had no connecting rooms available at that rate. So, an upgrade wouldnt work for us either. :(

Frankly, I was surprised to see the price drop since I kept seeing the warnings on the Carnival website that their cruise rates would increase sometime at the end of March.

So it sounds like if my TA responds with `Sorry, you`re out of luck` at least I`ll know he may not just be blowing me off.

(BTW, I`d be happy with a OBC.)

I understand you booked past guest in your first post ... my question and others asked ... are you before or after final payment?

So, you must be past final payment, and dont want a upgrade, no matter how high of a category it is that matches.... sounds like you are SOL from the way you replied.

I understand you booked past guest in your first post ... my question and others asked ... are you before or after final payment?

So, you must be past final payment, and dont want a upgrade, no matter how high of a category it is that matches.... sounds like you are SOL from the way you replied.

I did book at past guest rate, and I have made final payment (which was in my OP). It does sound like I`m SOL :-)

Again, at least I`ve heard it here first.

I did book at past guest rate, and I have made final payment (which was in my OP). It does sound like I`m SOL :-)

Again, at least I`ve heard it here first.

Yep, sounds like it to me too.

btw there is a difference between made final payment and being past final payment date for Carnival. Thats why we asked. I often pay early, before the date, and my TA collects a full 2 weeks before Carnival's date.

its goes by Carnival's final payment date.

btw there is a difference between made final payment and being past final payment date for Carnival. Thats why we asked. I often pay early, before the date, and my TA collects a full 2 weeks before Carnival's date.

its goes by Carnival's final payment date.

Oh . . I didnt realize that was what was being asked . . duh! :o

Thank you for the clarification!

I'm sorry that you won't be getting anything. I know it seems unfair, but that's why Carnival introduced Early Saver. Hopefully, at some future date, when you book a cruise with Carnival, you will be able to book the ESA.

I hope you get to enjoy your cruise anyway.

If you didn't book early saver then all you can get with a price drop after the final payment date has passed is an upgrade of comparable value. If you wanted those two particular rooms because of their location and convenience to each other and can't find any of the same configuration in a higher category then you may just be outta luck. They don't give refunds or obcs after the final payment date anymore because of the exclusivity of the early saver promotions best price guarantee.

Thanks everyone for this info! I learned more on some older threads too.

Haven`t been informed of anything by my TA yet though . . . . I knew I`d get quicker results here. ;)

I certainly know I`ll be booking Early Saver next time around and if I want the connecting cabins will have to book really early.

Archived