Mariott Stellaris

Lorey2007

Thanks drakes2 for the info. After doing some more research I think we've decided against bidding on priceline. It sounds like a lot of people have had good luck using it. I just have to decide how much we want to spend and what kind of view we want. Thanks everyone for the feedback :-)

Been bidding for weeks for 2/5/11 one night pre-cruise - up to $120 for San Juan - Resort with no luck - looking for 4 rooms - could that be the issue - I see plenty of folks getting accepted for $110.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Thanks drakes2 for the info. After doing some more research I think we've decided against bidding on priceline. It sounds like a lot of people have had good luck using it. I just have to decide how much we want to spend and what kind of view we want. Thanks everyone for the feedback :-)

Drakes is correct that there is no GUARANTEE you will get the hotel you want. HOWEVER, I go by what everyone else is winning on the bids at the time I try my bid. Right now, everyone is getting the Marriott Stellaris when they select Resorts. When our large group books hotels through priceline, one of us will bid, see what we got the bid for and the right hotel, then the others will bid the same thing and get the same hotel. As I said, this is no guarantee, but it has worked twice before in San Juan. As far as the upgrade goes, we upgraded at the hotel with a $20 extra charge and no resort fee added. It was well worth it and we still saved a lot of money at our winning bid of $95 over what the hotel was charging. If you absolutely HAVE to have this hotel, then bidding will probably not work for you. Your chances are probably pretty good though if you check the winning bids and most are getting the Marriott.

Been bidding for weeks for 2/5/11 one night pre-cruise - up to $120 for San Juan - Resort with no luck - looking for 4 rooms - could that be the issue - I see plenty of folks getting accepted for $110.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Donna, another cruiser posted that she got 5 rooms for 1/14/11 for $130 each. It's probably because you are bidding for several rooms that you are not getting your bid accepted. Try $130 San Juan, Resorts only and see if it works and come back and let us know. You will still save a lot of money over booking direct. sometimes you can add in areas that don't have resorts and keep the same dollar amount, but since you have been trying awhile, I'd try $130

Placed a bid for 6/20/2010 for 2 nights on priceline. Entered San Juan, Resorts,

for $90.00. Received a message from priceline no takers but if I accepted a

$20.00 a night raise in my bid I would have my order filled.

Marriott Stellaris accepted my bid and with taxes and all $253.98.

Well I found that priceline & orbitz are offering 20% off of standard rates so I just booked that way instead of risking not getting the Marriott through bidding. We compromised on the view and got partial ocean view since we'll have an ocean view from our balcony cabin. We now have our cruise, flights, hotel & cruise insurance booked. I'm thinking we'll probably do a segway tour in Old San Juan too which I'll probably book here soon. Thanks again everyone for your advise :-)

The main thing is you got the hotel that you really wanted at a decent rate. Sometimes we have to make compromises in life in order to get what's important to us. You will love the property, it's in a great location with easy access to shopping, transportation & restaurants. ENJOY! :)

Well I found that priceline & orbitz are offering 20% off of standard rates so I just booked that way instead of risking not getting the Marriott through bidding. We compromised on the view and got partial ocean view since we'll have an ocean view from our balcony cabin. We now have our cruise, flights, hotel & cruise insurance booked. I'm thinking we'll probably do a segway tour in Old San Juan too which I'll probably book here soon. Thanks again everyone for your advise :-)

We are staying at the Marriott pre-cruise and the Serenade doesn't leave until 8:30 pm. Does anyone know when you can board? If you can board at noon and just hang out onboard, that would work fine, if not I have to figure out what to do after checkout and before boarding. I suppose we could have the hotel hold the luggage and go to Old San Juan then pick the luggage up and then go to the pier. Odd the ship leaves so late.

We are staying at the Marriott pre-cruise and the Serenade doesn't leave until 8:30 pm. Does anyone know when you can board? If you can board at noon and just hang out onboard, that would work fine, if not I have to figure out what to do after checkout and before boarding. I suppose we could have the hotel hold the luggage and go to Old San Juan then pick the luggage up and then go to the pier. Odd the ship leaves so late.

It is common for cruises to leave at 8:30 in San Juan since it is so close to the islands you will be visiting. We usually go to the pier and board the ship after we check out of the hotel. Our friends, however, hang around the hotel at the pool and use this as a port day. The front desk will hang onto your luggage. You can also drop off your luggage at the pier after you check out of the hotel and then go tour Old San Juan.

Kit, glad you were able to get the Marriott for a reduced rate! You will love it, as it is a beautiful property in a great location.

It is common for cruises to leave at 8:30 in San Juan since it is so close to the islands you will be visiting. We usually go to the pier and board the ship after we check out of the hotel. Our friends, however, hang around the hotel at the pool and use this as a port day. The front desk will hang onto your luggage. You can also drop off your luggage at the pier after you check out of the hotel and then go tour Old San Juan.

Thanks Kathy. My thought was to have the hotel hold the luggage and take the bus to the ferry, go to Bacardi, ferry back, bus to hotel to grab luggage and taxi to pier. It just seems like a lot of schlepping around and I don't know if Bacardi is worth the trouble.

Another option to consider is to board early enough to eat lunch and then leave the ship (can't you just get on/off like you would in any other port?) to explore Old San Juan. You'll have some cab fare both ways but you should have plenty of time even if you have main seating for dinner.

Another option to consider is to board early enough to eat lunch and then leave the ship (can't you just get on/off like you would in any other port?) to explore Old San Juan. You'll have some cab fare both ways but you should have plenty of time even if you have main seating for dinner.

Yes, you can do that too. By law, you have to be at the pier no later than 90 minutes prior to sailing, or 7:00 p.m., but if you check in and then leave and come back, you have more leeway. I like going early so I can check out the ship when it's my first time onboard and it's usually not as crowded as it is later. I know it's not very far to get anywhere you want in San Juan by Taxi, but that is a lot of running around to leave your luggage at the hotel and then go back and get it before you check in.

Thanks Kathy. My thought was to have the hotel hold the luggage and take the bus to the ferry, go to Bacardi, ferry back, bus to hotel to grab luggage and taxi to pier. It just seems like a lot of schlepping around and I don't know if Bacardi is worth the trouble.

I don't know about taking the bus. We did that and while it is cheaper, you have a LOT of stops and it will take a lot longer to get where you are going and back. Taxi rates are fixed in San Juan. Check out the prices here on this website. This website also has loads of useful tips and information for San Juan.

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/07/san-juan-taxi-rates/

For example the taxi cost is $12 from your hotel to the pier. That is per cab, not per person and there's a $1 charge per bag.

Another great website:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Here's directions on how to get to the Bacardi factory:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bacardi-factory-tour/

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know if you could board that early (noonish). That would save a lot of traveling and I didn't know the bus would take so long either.

These boards have a wealth of information.

Marriott is offering 20% off right now through their website. No prepayment like with priceline or orbitz. DH doesn't know it, but I changed our reservation over and upgraded our after cruise 1 night stay to ocean front. He'll be pleasantly surprised :-)

How much did you bid for the Caribe Hilton. I'm in the process of bidding for a resort in the Condado area for mid January, but am waiting for the airfare to open up first. We're unsure if we want to stay 2 or 3 nights in OSJ. I got the Marriott Stellaris a couple of years back for $160/nt but plan on lowering my bid this time.

Drakes, my apology for not getting back to you sooner. I was out of the country until last week and just checking back on the thread.

I bid $111, hoping to get the Marriott and got the Hilton Caribe. But for $130 total per night, I'm certainly not going to complain!

**edit** Looking back I now see you got the Marriott for $110 - great deal!

They are calling it Caribbean Sweeps - rate is shown w/ the 20% off already taken. Regular rate for city view room is 189, with the sale it's 151.20.

https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

Donna - I looked at rates for your weekend 2/5/11 and WOW are they HIGH!!!! It's like double the rate it is now. I hope you can find something reasonable. That's crazy! Have you concidered changing your cruise dates to get better hotel rates?

Not yet as there are 8 of us going on the trip - - meeting with another couple next Wednesday and we will discuss. Actually, this all started as it is their 35th Wedding Anniversay and they have NEVER been on a cruise. I am just going along for the ride and acting as T/A for the group! lol

Have a great weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I bid yesterday on Priceline for San Juan, under the "Resorts" category, and was awarded the San Juan Marriott Resort for $110. I booked two rooms. My travel date is November 13, for a one night per cruise stay. I am very happy with this bid. I did start out at $89, then with free re-bids, kept bidding at $95, $100, $105, and finally at $110.

Archived