Athens airport and port transfers

mare s.

I've read postings here about approximate prices of airport and port transfers but I've contacted some taxi services and the prices they are quoting are considerably higher...55-60E for airport to hotel and 35-40E for hotel to port. I'm also concerned because the taxi owners are saying that if we have too much luggage (there are four of us) we'll need two taxis. Do prices go up during the summer? Our hotel is walking distance from Akropolis Metro stop. Would it be better for us to take the airport bus to Syntagma and then get the Metro? Don't really want to drag suitcases after a long, tiring flight and then have to walk in the heat, but the taxi prices seem a bit high.

I've read postings here about approximate prices of airport and port transfers but I've contacted some taxi services and the prices they are quoting are considerably higher...55-60E for airport to hotel and 35-40E for hotel to port. I'm also concerned because the taxi owners are saying that if we have too much luggage (there are four of us) we'll need two taxis. Do prices go up during the summer? Our hotel is walking distance from Akropolis Metro stop. Would it be better for us to take the airport bus to Syntagma and then get the Metro? Don't really want to drag suitcases after a long, tiring flight and then have to walk in the heat, but the taxi prices seem a bit high.

While taxis and pre arranged vehicles are more expensive than the metro, do you really want to fool with that hassle? If you will contact some of the cabs that are mentioned in the threads on the boards, you will find that they can accommodate you. The worst is that you have to have a limo instead of a taxi, but for four it works aout to about 20 Euros per person, plus who get met at baggage claim and have help with your luggage. Also keep in mind that the ride from the airport to town is almost an hour.

yes, I really don't want the Metro hassle after a long flight. I did contact the services mentioned here...those are the prices I'm quoting. For mini-van it's around 120E. I don't know whether prices have gone up or ? but certainly more than the prices folks have mentioned here. But will probably bite the bullet and reserve a taxi so we don't have to worry.

I have a feeling the difference is between just picking up a cab at the airport versus prearranging one. I know from experience in Rome that when you prearrange transport it's generally 10-15 more euro than just grabbing a cab at the airport.

Upside: absolutely no hassle; agreed upon pickup time and price

Downside: more expensive

If you just get a cab at the airport, be sure to agree on a price BEFORE you get in.

It's very true that if there are four of you, one cab probably will not accommodate all of you plus your luggage. Cabs tend to be small in Athens and many other Med ports.

Archived