Kings Wharf, Bermuda Beach Question

I'm going on Explorer of the Seas on June 5th 2010 and will be traveling to Kings Wharf, Bermuda. I was looking at the cruise tours offered and did not see anything that was directed at heading towards a private beach and relaxing out in the sun all day.

When I was on Liberty of the Seas in Haiti we were able to take a boat to a privately owned beach and swim out looking at small inshore reefs, plenty of fish and fun relaxing in the sun. This is pretty much what I was looking for again however I don't see anything like that. I've been to cozumel multiple times and normally just take a taxi now over to Playa Del Mia where they charge you a few dollars to get on the beach.

Is there anything like that in Bermuda or should I stick with the only tour I see that involves going explorering a bunch of beaches. Any ideas? Tips?

Thanks!

~WaterCrazzy~

I'm going on Explorer of the Seas on June 5th 2010 and will be traveling to Kings Wharf, Bermuda. I was looking at the cruise tours offered and did not see anything that was directed at heading towards a private beach and relaxing out in the sun all day.

When I was on Liberty of the Seas in Haiti we were able to take a boat to a privately owned beach and swim out looking at small inshore reefs, plenty of fish and fun relaxing in the sun. This is pretty much what I was looking for again however I don't see anything like that. I've been to cozumel multiple times and normally just take a taxi now over to Playa Del Mia where they charge you a few dollars to get on the beach.

Is there anything like that in Bermuda or should I stick with the only tour I see that involves going explorering a bunch of beaches. Any ideas? Tips?

Thanks!

~WaterCrazzy~

Why don't you check out Bermuda in the "ports of call" section. You might find the answer there.

Thanks!

~WaterCrazzy~

The beaches in Bermuda are all public (not private) beaches most of which are easily accessible by bus or ferry from King's wharf and there is also Snorkel Beach which is locate at King's Wharf and is within walking distance of ship.

Very easy and cheap to catch a bus at Kings Wharf to any of the beaches in Bermuda. We have been to Horseshoe Bay several times. It is a beautiful beach area. A small snack bar, umbrella & chair rentals and bathroom facilities are available.

Sherri:)

Very easy and cheap to catch a bus at Kings Wharf to any of the beaches in Bermuda. We have been to Horseshoe Bay several times. It is a beautiful beach area. A small snack bar, umbrella & chair rentals and bathroom facilities are available.

Sherri:)

I totally agree with Sherri - absolutely no reason to take a tour - just hop on a bus and visit any beach you like - but Horseshoe is a clear winner.

I highly agree with the above posters who recommend Horseshoe Beach!

It's a great beach with a lot of exploring to do if you want to climb over the rock formations.

Please read the Bermuda section or google this beach, you will learn the details about how to get there, etc.

Thanks everyone! That was the information I was looking for :D

Perfect!!!

To Sworm: I did read the Bermuda section before posting here however couldn't find a clear cut answer like this one. Not to mention, I wanted to see if anyone had a specific thing they'd liked about one of the tours at Bermuda on Royal Caribbean.

I Am also on this sailing. Weather permitting also planning to take ferry to St Georges and try Tobacco Bay for snorkeling then take bus back to West End/ Royal Navy Dockyard stopping at another beach along the way. Guide books available at a Borders, B & N or libraries mention lots of nice beaches to check out.

Horseshoe Bay Beach is less crowded the farther you walk from the entrance, which is all the way at one side. Tobacco Bay is fairly small, great for snorkeling, and tends to fill up as the day goes on if there is a cruise ship in port in St. Georges, but that is happening less and less these days.

Check out my cruise maps page for several maps on Bermuda. If you click the "Bermuda" link under the main map, it will redraw to just the Bermuda area. Unfortunately the St. Georges map photo was taken on a cloudy day, so Tobacco Bay is still obscured. I have a St. Georges photo album here, which has some good shots of Tobacco Bay.

The Google satellite imagery still does not show the new pier that has been built at Kings Wharf.

If you are looking at the bus from Kings Wharf to St. Georges (or back), keep in mind that you must change buses in Hamilton, and each half takes about an hour, for a total of two hours, plus any wait time for the next bus in Hamilton. There is a sticky thread on the Bermuda forum with the bus and ferry schedule. They usually update the schedule each spring, I'm not sure if they have done that yet this year.

Theron

FYI...Horeshoe Bay is a great place to go and relax. You can take a taxi or bus service to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Just be prepared that it is a little bit of a ride there (30 minutes at minimum). Roads are very hilly and one lane each way. Near the port (Kings Wharf) is the Rum Cake Factory, Glass Blowing Factory, Bonefish Grill and some shops. You can also go parasailing at the port or rent jetskii's right there. For shopping, you can take a ferry at the port right into Hamilton where the "city" is. I've been on the 5 day Bermuda Cruise on the Explorer several times now and the day and a half is just right to experience some of what the island has to offer. BTW.. unlike when I FIRST went on the Explorer, now there will be your boat (Explorer) and a Norweigan Ship right in front of it. They don't dock ships in Hamilton anymore like they used to. (Reef issues).

Hope you kept with me here, blurted out a lot :D

Hi,

I went on a NCL cruise last summer to Bermuda and we were docked at the opposite end of the island. We got up REALLY early (7ish) and went to Tobacco Bay and snorkeled-very few people that early. Horseshoe Bay was gorgeous and not TOO crowded. Beautiful blue water. We also were able to walk into Elbow Bay (had to be careful because I think a lot is private with hotels, resorts). Also, if you go into the capital there is a yummy restaurant called the "Pickled Onion", some nice botanical gardens, and we also went to a good seafood restaurant (do not remember where) called the "Black Horse." Just ask, the folks in Bermuda were very helpful! There is also a really interesting perfume factory in St. George's? and they make all the perfume there. A little costly, but really neat! I would buy the bus pass ($12?) for two days and use it. You can go almost anywhere. It's an amazing island. I am going back this summer and VERY excited. Have an awesome trip!

I'm on Explorer right now, on our way back from Bermuda. The public buses will get you to the beaches just fine (get a #7 bus to get to most of the beaches.) They also run extra buses nonstop to Horseshoe, included in your Transportation Pass.

Yes, the ferries are on a summer schedule, as of yesterday. During the summer schedule the best way to get to St George is on the ferry -- it takes about 45 minutes and runs every 45 minutes in the morning. If you have last year's summer schedule, this year's is a little different. Don't know if they've posted this year's to the website yet; they hadn't by yesterday morning.

FYI...Horeshoe Bay is a great place to go and relax. You can take a taxi or bus service to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Just be prepared that it is a little bit of a ride there (30 minutes at minimum). Roads are very hilly and one lane each way. Near the port (Kings Wharf) is the Rum Cake Factory, Glass Blowing Factory, Bonefish Grill and some shops. You can also go parasailing at the port or rent jetskii's right there. For shopping, you can take a ferry at the port right into Hamilton where the "city" is. I've been on the 5 day Bermuda Cruise on the Explorer several times now and the day and a half is just right to experience some of what the island has to offer. BTW.. unlike when I FIRST went on the Explorer, now there will be your boat (Explorer) and a Norweigan Ship right in front of it. They don't dock ships in Hamilton anymore like they used to. (Reef issues).

Hope you kept with me here, blurted out a lot :D

This is not true. They don't dock as many ships in Hamilton simply because there aren't as many ships in service that are small enough to get there through the existing channels.

From Radio's Links page, I found this Bermuda 2010 Schedule, which shows all the planned ships that will be docking in Hamilton this year, including:

• HAL's Veendam (24 visits)
  • Seven Seas Mariner
  • Braemar
  • Seven Seas Navigator
  • The World
  • Regatta
  • Pacific Princess

Theron

This is not true. They don't dock as many ships in Hamilton simply because there aren't as many ships in service that are small enough to get there through the existing channels.
  • HAL's Veendam (24 visits)
  • Seven Seas Mariner
  • Braemar
  • Seven Seas Navigator
  • The World
  • Regatta
  • Pacific Princess

Theron

Theron, Thanks for the 411 on Hamilton. We docked there twice on Empress and happy to hear that other ships continue to dock there. Wish RCCL would have kept Empress. She was a FUN ship!

Rick and Deirdra

Haven't seen this mentioned, but if you feel safe and are competent, a scooter rental is, imo, the ideal way to get around Bermuda. ;)

But if you are not competent or used to driving on what to us is the wrong side of the road, beware. Last year while in Bermuda we met the wife of a surgeon working at the local hospital and she mentioned that her husband's primary activity was treating tourists who had broken bones that resulted from rental scooter accidents.

But if you are not competent or used to driving on what to us is the wrong side of the road, beware. Last year while in Bermuda we met the wife of a surgeon working at the local hospital and she mentioned that her husband's primary activity was treating tourists who had broken bones that resulted from rental scooter accidents.

Exactly. ;)

well, I ride a kawi ninja (oh and a yama vino :D), I'd probably be okay ;)...

I once rented scooters in key west with my friends. That was fun and was a great way to tour for sure!

I think one day we are going to go on a snorkeling excursion (any recommendations? there are a bunch of options) and then the other day we are just going to do some local shopping and go to horseshoe bay. :)

well, I ride a kawi ninja (oh and a yama vino :D), I'd probably be okay ;)... I once rented scooters in key west with my friends. That was fun and was a great way to tour for sure!I

Oleander Cycles is right at Kings Wharf. Huge difference between KW and Bermuda. You will be driving on the left rather than the right, there are many turnabouts, and lots of roads are bumpy and narrow. Can get a little hairy. Otherwise, your choice. Have fun! ;)

http://www.oleandercycles.bm/locations.html

Oleander Cycles is right at Kings Wharf. Huge difference between KW and Bermuda. You will be driving on the left rather than the right, there are many turnabouts, and lots of roads are bumpy and narrow. Can get a little hairy. Otherwise, your choice. Have fun! ;)

http://www.oleandercycles.bm/locations.html

:D thanks, wasn't planning on doing any scootering, but I didn't want to discourage anyone else from doing it if they wanted.

Archived