Another Early Saver "issue"

So I'm not truly complaining, because I am very happy with what I paid for my cat. 7A balcony on the Miracle next month, but I booked w/ the Early Saver and feel a bit deceived. They released a Pack & Go deal last week that provided a balcony guarantee for $60 less/passenger than I paid for my 7A. Upon further research, a balcony guarantee on the Miracle guarantees at least an 8A stateroom--to me, and upgrade from 7A (PVP verified balcony guarantees provide at least an 8A stateroom). Carnival denies my price protection release with some rubbish answer about how having a room assigned is an upgrade from ANY guarantee room. My feeling is that if I could book a room for less today than I paid, and that room is guaranteed to be of a higher category than what I got, I have not received the lowest possible price for my room. Passengers on my cruise will have paid less than me for a better room, which is what Early Saver supposedly protects against. Early Saver is very deceiving...it would appear, Carnival is now simply selling guarantee rooms last minute to lower the prices and fill the rooms while avoiding any Early Saver price protections.

Again, I'm very happy with what I paid for my room and would not have booked the cruise if I wasn't, it just seems a bit sneaky to me...

Very excited for my cruise in 39 days!

So I'm not truly complaining, because I am very happy with what I paid for my cat. 7A balcony on the Miracle next month, but I booked w/ the Early Saver and feel a bit deceived. They released a Pack & Go deal last week that provided a balcony guarantee for $60 less/passenger than I paid for my 7A. Upon further research, a balcony guarantee on the Miracle guarantees at least an 8A stateroom--to me, and upgrade from 7A (PVP verified balcony guarantees provide at least an 8A stateroom). Carnival denies my price protection release with some rubbish answer about how having a room assigned is an upgrade from ANY guarantee room. My feeling is that if I could book a room for less today than I paid, and that room is guaranteed to be of a higher category than what I got, I have not received the lowest possible price for my room. Passengers on my cruise will have paid less than me for a better room, which is what Early Saver supposedly protects against. Early Saver is very deceiving...it would appear, Carnival is now simply selling guarantee rooms last minute to lower the prices and fill the rooms while avoiding any Early Saver price protections.

Again, I'm very happy with what I paid for my room and would not have booked the cruise if I wasn't, it just seems a bit sneaky to me...

Very excited for my cruise in 39 days!

Early Saver Price Protection for Guarantee Bookings such as Pack-and-Go is: if the fare for the Category (IS, OV, BL, ST) above your ES Category drops below your current rate, you can give up your assigned Cabin for a TBA Cabin in that higher Guarantee Category, and remain Early Saver. If you have an ES Balcony and a Suite Guarantee (ST) rate drops below your ES Balcony rate, you can upgrade to a TBA Suite.

The ES Terms DO state that the price protection is only for the same Category; the Guarantee IS, OV, BL and ST are not the same Categories as those you book with Early Saver.

ken

Iv heard a balcony guarantee on your ship does NOT guarantee a 8A and above (someone posted they got a 7A recently with the guarantee).

... but I do understand your frustration. Unfortunately the terms of pack n go say you cannot match downward..and a guarantee is considered a lower category than your 7A.

been there and done that. .. thats how I know. I was in a 1A and they told me a IS was lower than a 1A, and have never heard anyone get a 1A with a IS guarantee. Pack n go AND Senior rates for IS were both lower than I paid.

I called to upgrade to the IS from my 1A and was denied ... feel for ya. (In my case it was $30 pp and $50 pp (pack n go), so for $100 I would have been willing to give up my 1A, you betcha.

Early Saver Price Protection for Guarantee Bookings such as Pack-and-Go is: if the fare for the Category (IS, OV, BL, ST) above your ES Category drops below your current rate, you can give up your assigned Cabin for a TBA Cabin in that higher Guarantee Category, and remain Early Saver. If you have an ES Balcony and a Suite Guarantee (ST) rate drops below your ES Balcony rate, you can upgrade to a TBA Suite.

The ES Terms DO state that the price protection is only for the same Category; the Guarantee IS, OV, BL and ST are not the same Categories as those you book with Early Saver.

ken

I understand that, but a BL guarantees an upgrade from a 7A. Again--I'm happy with my room, I just feel like Carnival is being very sneaky w/ the Early Saver program by creating so many loopholes for themselves that realistically, very few people actually get price reductions. The goal of the ES program was likely to just prevent people from canceling cruises (which I'm sure happens a lot in this economy). Either way, I got a great price--$909 for 8 nights in a 7A :)

I think you have to look at the rules and go by them. I don't think it is fair to use the logic of the "lower price for a higher category". It is important to look the price for exactly what you booked, and the price of that and only of that.

I have also heard that a balcony gurarantee can include a 7A, but some bookings, like our last group booking, can guarantee a balconly at a higher level (8B I think was the deal we got.)

A 7A where you pick your room is not equal to a 7A where they pick your room. It seems the OP is trying to make a connection... there is none.

I think you have to look at the rules and go by them. I don't think it is fair to use the logic of the "lower price for a higher category". It is important to look the price for exactly what you booked, and the price of that and only of that.

I have also heard that a balcony gurarantee can include a 7A, but some bookings, like our last group booking, can guarantee a balconly at a higher level (8B I think was the deal we got.)

A 7A where you pick your room is not equal to a 7A where they pick your room. It seems the OP is trying to make a connection... there is none.

No, I am not trying to make that connection. I am saying a guaranteed 8A or higher should be an upgrade from a 7A. I completely understand the rules of the ES program--I read them in detail before booking.

I understand that, but a BL guarantees an upgrade from a 7A. Again--I'm happy with my room, I just feel like Carnival is being very sneaky w/ the Early Saver program by creating so many loopholes for themselves that realistically, very few people actually get price reductions. The goal of the ES program was likely to just prevent people from canceling cruises (which I'm sure happens a lot in this economy). Either way, I got a great price--$909 for 8 nights in a 7A :)

Again, I dont think a BL guarantees a upgrade from a 7A. I think you CAN get a 7A with a BL guarantee on Spirit class ships .. because its been posted here recently it happened, and the person was dissapointed.

Thats why Carnival considers it a downgrade, you dont get to pick your cabin and you can get a 7A on a spirit class ship.

... at least last time I looked on the carnival site, it said 7A was included. Not sure with all the changes lately how it looks this week.

Again, I dont think a BL guarantees a upgrade from a 7A. I think you CAN get a 7A with a BL guarantee on Spirit class ships .. because its been posted here recently it happened, and the person was dissapointed.

Thats why Carnival considers it a downgrade, you dont get to pick your cabin and you can get a 7A on a spirit class ship.

... at least last time I looked on the carnival site, it said 7A was included. Not sure with all the changes lately how it looks this week.

I just checked the balcony guarantee again on the Miracle and got this: "Includes stateroom categories: 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E and 8F.

8M and 8N Aft-view Extended Balcony.

9B Premium Balcony.

9C Premium Vista Balcony."

In my response from the PVP, she said: "Guests who purchase a balcony guarantee, will be booked on a TBA basis and assigned at our discretion. However, guests will be assigned a cabin # in one of the following balcony categories such as 8A/ 8B/ 8C/ 8D/ 8E/ 8F." Two confirmations that with a BL, I would be guaranteed a better stateroom than I currently have for a lower price. If someone had a BL and got a 7A stateroom, they shouldn't have.

No, I am not trying to make that connection. I am saying a guaranteed 8A or higher should be an upgrade from a 7A. I completely understand the rules of the ES program--I read them in detail before booking.

Dont know if this link works .. BL, nowhere does it say you wouldnt get a 7A, used to say it included 7A, 8A etc .. now it only says that it includes 9s, but it doesnt say it does not include 7A.

http://www.carnival.com/BookEngine.aspx?Step=2

Includes stateroom categories: 9A (balcony spa stateroom).

Deck Category Guest 1, 2 BL 979.00 Assign a minimum category BL question_mark.gif (stateroom number to be determined)

Deck Category Guest 1, 2 BL 979.00 Assign a minimum category BL question_mark.gif (stateroom number to be determined)

Dont know if this link works .. BL, nowhere does it say you wouldnt get a 7A, used to say it included 7A, 8A etc .. now it only says that it includes 9s, but it doesnt say it does not include 7A.

http://www.carnival.com/BookEngine.aspx?Step=2

If you click on the "edit" button next to BL at your link, it takes you to a description of BL that clearly excludes 7A.

I don't know that that is a true statement - MANY posters here are bragging about their price reductions, and are very happy with ES, including myself. As I stated, the ES Terms & Conditions DO state that the Booking Categories must match, which pretty much indicates it doesn't apply to Guarantee Bookings - but even then, ES does allow you to upgrade to a higher Guarantee Category.

ken

I don't know that that is a true statement - MANY posters here are bragging about their price reductions, and are very happy with ES, including myself. As I stated, the ES Terms & Conditions DO state that the Booking Categories must match, which pretty much indicates it doesn't apply to Guarantee Bookings - but even then, ES does allow you to upgrade to a higher Guarantee Category.

ken

I understand that. As I have shown proof of several times now, the guarantee category I am looking at is an upgrade from 7A.

If you click on the "edit" button next to BL at your link, it takes you to a description of BL that clearly excludes 7A.

It has changed recently. Just goes to prove that Carnival doesnt know what its posting on the booking pages engine. (because you can get a 7A, of fairly recently).

... of course, I dont think you can get a 1A with a IS guarantee either, even my PVP agreed, and its been a issue.

Carnnival is doing everything it can to try and prove that guarantees are a step down from pretty much everything, .. even when it makes no sense.

I agree completely with you. It should be a even at worst move, and they should give it to you.

I understand that. As I have shown proof of several times now, the guarantee category I am looking at is an upgrade from 7A.

the problem is that Carnival ranks categorys .. and guarantees are ranked the lowest .. even if you and I say you can only get a better cabin, Carnival has them ranked as lower categories.

Call up and get a supervisor and argue it ... push for it. Thats all you can do is try and prove they are wrong to consider it a lower category.

PS MY PVP argued with her supervisors for 2 days solid about this same issue. I said you cant get a 1A with a IS guarantee, she agreed. After two days she got the senior $30 pp drop, but not the pack n go $50 pp rate ... at least she got something. yes, I gave up my 1A to do it .. and it took a lot of doing on my PVPs part.

I don't think it matters if a BL includes a 7A or not. The OP paid for a 7A and a BL guarantee is not a comparable booking. It would not qualify for an ES price adjustment.

If the OP is willing to give up his 7A and change to the BL guarantee, and then they want the lower BL guarantee price.

That was my argument .. if I give up my 1A and move to the IS guarantee, I wanted the IS price and OBC for the difference.

I wasnt trying to price match with my old category, but upgrade to what was a higher guarantee and get that price.

If the OP is willing to give up his 7A and change to the BL guarantee, and then they want the lower BL guarantee price.

That was my argument .. if I give up my 1A and move to the IS guarantee, I wanted the IS price and OBC for the difference.

I wasnt trying to price match with my old category, but upgrade to what was a higher guarantee and get that price.

I think it is debateable if that is an upgrade at all. Some people feel very strongly when they pick a room, that getting a higher level category room that someone else picks is not an upgrade at all!

But, if it were not into the penalty period, I think the situation would be different and the OP could probably have taken advantage of the deal by giving up the chosen 7A and taking the chances on the guarantee.

But for pack and go, that's not going to be an option. He can't just cancel his 7A and rebook.

I think it is debateable if that is an upgrade at all. Some people feel very strongly when they pick a room, that getting a higher level category room that someone else picks is not an upgrade at all!

But, if it were not into the penalty period, I think the situation would be different and the OP could probably have taken advantage of the deal by giving up the chosen 7A and taking the chances on the guarantee.

But for pack and go, that's not going to be an option. He can't just cancel his 7A and rebook.

No one is asking to cancel and rebook!!! I think you are missing the point. If the rule is YOU CAN ALWAYS UPGRADE, without paying a fee. ... and this should be considered a upgrade. Then we should be able to upgrade to a guarantee and give up our cabin. IS doesnt include 1A, so therefore, it should be considered a upgrade. The OPs showing the Carnival site shows a BL doesnt show it includes 7A, so it should be considered a upgrade.

The fact that my PVP after two days of arguing with supervisors finally pushed it thru, a IS senior rate for me, that was a guarantee, proves someone understands the point ..and Carnival finally gave in, but not without a fight.

No one is asking to cancel and rebook!!! I think you are missing the point. If the rule is YOU CAN ALWAYS UPGRADE, without paying a fee. ... and this should be considered a upgrade. Then we should be able to upgrade to a guarantee and give up our cabin. IS doesnt include 1A, so therefore, it should be considered a upgrade. The OPs showing the Carnival site shows a BL doesnt show it includes 7A, so it should be considered a upgrade.

You may be missing my point that I don't believe it is an upgrade.

Being able to pick your room is worth something more than having it assigned by Carnival. I think just about everyone would appreciate the value of picking a room.

So, to say that a 7A you pick is not as good as a BL that they pick, is not a slam-dunk upgrade. Some people would say yes, and others like me say no.

I think it's safe to say that many people are confused by the early saver program. Next time I book, I'm going to give more consideration to not doing early saver.

I guess I'm figuring that I would never book a cruise at a higher rate, hoping for a lower rate with the early saver. I'd only book if I was comfortable with that price to begin with. And if I book early enough away. . i will probably get a good price.

Just my two cents. . .I haven't even gone on my first cruise, but I find the early saver to be such a hassle! I keep looking and looking and to be honest, it appears I dont even know what EXACTLY I am looking for.

I think it's safe to say that many people are confused by the early saver program. Next time I book, I'm going to give more consideration to not doing early saver.

Yeah but if you're like me and book with past guest rate, you don't get OBC when the price does drop after paid in full :(

Yeah but if you're like me and book with past guest rate, you don't get OBC when the price does drop after paid in full :(

That is a negative . . .would it be eligible for upgrade?

If not, I wouldn't be checking the site a zillion times a day for a price drop and wouldn't be aware of what I was missing out on. That would be okay if I was happy with the price I got to start with

I guess I'm figuring that I would never book a cruise at a higher rate, hoping for a lower rate with the early saver. I'd only book if I was comfortable with that price to begin with. And if I book early enough away. . i will probably get a good price.

Just my two cents. . .I haven't even gone on my first cruise, but I find the early saver to be such a hassle! I keep looking and looking and to be honest, it appears I dont even know what EXACTLY I am looking for.

I agree with you on this--as I said, I'm very happy with what I paid. I'm just making a comment that Carnival seems to be trying to fool people out of money they should get.

Salty Dingo--getting to choose an obstructed balcony room is better than Carnival assigning me a non-obstructed balcony? Let's take it one step further. What if a suite guarantee were cheaper than my 7A? Is that still a downgrade? Who is to decide what is a downgrade--your system is completely based upon someone's opinion, which I doubt would hold up in any court of law. My system is based upon the category numbers that Carnival uses to assign fares. 8>7. There is no argument against that, while there are two sides to the "choosing a room is better" debate. Carnival seems to have chosen the wishy-washy opinion-based system that allows them to save money.

Archived