Which is better?

masim17

Have been reading threads but this is my 1st post! Going on a cruise that goes to Grenada and St. Kitts. Which would be the best place to spend a day at the beach--Grenada at Grand Anse of Morne Rouge, or St. Kitts at Cockelshell beach? Also, which is the better of the 2 beachs in Grenada. thanks :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Both beaches in Grenada are beautiful in my opinion. Personally I would say Grande Anse gets a bad rap. Yes there are vendors, yes there is a mass of people where the beach chairs are etc but you only need to put in a bit of effort and walk a massive 5 minutes and it feels like the 2mile stretch is your own.

Obviously if you're coming on a weekend then you will share the beach with us locals but we're very friendly :cool:. We do like to play beach cricket, soccer and can be a bit enthusiastic but come and join us and share a Carib (our beer) - we be the friendliest people in the caribbean mon :D

Thanks, it's great using this forum! Our cruise has 5 ports with only one sea day. would you suggest we spend the entire day at the beach, or maybe do a 4 hour taxi tour, and then end up at the beach?

The island and the beach are both too pretty to only do one I think. You could certainly do a taxi tour and then head for the beach or you could do my favourite and go do an eco-tour combined with a snorkel on the underwater statues and then head for the beach. Check out TripAdvisor for things to do and places to go and take it from there. Have fun

Have been reading threads but this is my 1st post! Going on a cruise that goes to Grenada and St. Kitts. Which would be the best place to spend a day at the beach--Grenada at Grand Anse of Morne Rouge, or St. Kitts at Cockelshell beach? Also, which is the better of the 2 beachs in Grenada. thanks :)

Hey masim,

Since we just returned from Grenada I thought I'd give you my opinion. Go to Magazing Beach. Skip Grand Ansa. It's beautiful & quiet. There's a great beach bar resturant there called the Aquarium. The people there were so nice. They have an amazing pina Colada & $3.00 ice cold Carib beer. We paid $5.00 PP for taxi there. 20 minutes from cruise ship pier. There is great snorkeling there straight out from the resturant.

I personally thought Grenada was more beautiful than Sk. Kitts but we love St. Kitts too & have been there the last two years. Each time did a short driving tour of the island & ended up snorkeling. We used Royston Stevens. He's a wonderful young man. Just google Royston tours in St. Kitts...

Have fun!

Dawg

I haven't been to St. Kitt's but just had a great day in Grenada at Grand Anse Beach. There are plenty of vendors that want your business, but none were rude or pushy. Here are a few pics of Grand Anse, which is an easy water taxi ride from the ship

2723379110104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

2867653430104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

Make sure you walk down to the market to buy some spices and other souvenirs.

2027577430104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks, the pictures are fabulous! I will pass the info on to the group and see what happens. Looking at the pics I think they may want to just beach it for the day, but I'm a little (maybe a lot) antsy, and don;\'t want to miss seeing the island too. too little time! :rolleyes:

Thanks, the pictures are fabulous! I will pass the info on to the group and see what happens. Looking at the pics I think they may want to just beach it for the day, but I'm a little (maybe a lot) antsy, and don;\'t want to miss seeing the island too. too little time! :rolleyes:

Maybe you could do a short [3hr] tour and arrange for the guide to drop you off at the beach on your return. Then you would have time to do both.

Since Grenada was our last day out of five ports, we were fine with just hanging out at the beach all day. Either way, you'll have a great time!

Thanks for all the help. We've decided to tour the island in the morning and have booked Chris" Taxi tours, and then plan to go to the beach for a few hours. Looking forward to it! ;)

Have a great time!

Where is magazine beach located?

-do you take a taxi there? ===> Oh yes!

You definitely take a taxi to Magazine Beach! -only way to get there

unless you rent a car and find/lose your own way there :D

Ask for Aquarium Restaurant, it's just past the airport, on the S-Western tip of the island.

Get out your map --or Google Earth-- and have a look.

Your taxi driver drive you to and thru the airport complex, up a little hill

and then a sharp left turn to go another quarter-mile or so(?) to Aquarium's car park on top the hill.

IMG_4995.JPG

Nice view across the big bay there -you should be able to see your ship from that vantage point!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple questions for those with more info :) For just 2 - does anyone have the cost of a taxi to Magazine Beach? Also, where is the best place for craft/spice shopping? I know that Grand Anse (sp?) beach has some shopping. Should we go there to get our spices after the beach or elsewhere? Thanks for any info!!

• 2 months later...
We are considering Chris for a half day tour in December. Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

Yes, we are booked with him for March so I would love to hear about any recent tours with him as well..........Thanks:o

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Magazine beach is a quieter option. So do they rent umbrella's and chairs and if so what is the price if you recall. Also is the food good and reasonably priced at the aquariam restaurant ? Thanks in advance for your response...Spanky

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did a morning tour and went to magazing beach in the afternoon, its a beautiful beach

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like Magazine beach is a quieter option than Grand Anse. So do they rent umbrella's and chairs and if so what is the price if you recall. Also is the food good and reasonably priced at the aquariam restaurant ? Thanks in advance for your response...Spanky

• 2 weeks later...
I have read on here that on Sunday's the locals hang out at Magazine Beach. Not sure how willing they are to share their beach with tourists.

We hang out on Saturdays too :) but come on down and join us. I regularly have discussions with the beach verndors who sometimes can't undertand it when folks are a little wary of strange chaps coming up to them to ask to look at their arts and crafts. I have to remind them that tourists are used to other islands like Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Kenya and others where it isn't often as safe or friendly.

Unlike most of the other Carribean islands, Grenadians love to share their beaches with tourists and we will welcome you with open arms. All beaches are public and I hope it stays that way. We have 45 of them you know. Fyi....We lime here in Grenada i.e. get in the water/sit on the beach and just hang for the day 'cos the rest of the time we work :cool:

Grenada is renowned for its friendly people and if the guys are playing beach cricket be prepared to join in. Personally I go deep field which if I work it right is usually by the bar.:D

Grand Anse beach is just as quiet as Magazine beach but you simply need to walk more than the 30yards south when you get to it to experience it. It's 2 miles long and it is never that busy!

We look forward to seeing you on the beach on Sunday

Is there places to rent umbrellas and buy drinks most of the two miles of Grand Anse Beach? Or do you have to stay close to the entrance for that?

Also if one goes to Magazine beach how is the food at the aquariam Restraunt/Magazine Beach are the prices for Alcohol drinks reasonable there? What should a Taxi cost from the the port? Are there Umbrellas for rent and how much?? Thanks in Advance for your response! Spanky......

Archived